ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags consumerism , globalization , industrialization , sustainability

Old 19th March 2010, 07:30 AM   #201
sushil_yadav
Scholar

Man can repair and restore things that have been made by man himself. Car, Computer, Aeroplane, Rocket - if anything goes wrong with these things man can repair and restore.

Man cannot repair and restore Nature/ Environment - because man did not make Nature/ Environment. Once a Forest is destroyed - it is gone for millions of years. One cannot create a Forest in 5 or 50 years - it takes millions of years to make a forest - containing millions of species of animals, insects, birds, plants and trees. Man can create a plantation in 5 or 50 years - not a forest.

The only way to save Environment is by not destroying it - leave it alone - leave it undisturbed. If you destroy Environment you cannot repair and restore it.

No Multi National Company can manufacture the Amazon Rainforests.
No MNC can manufacture Rivers and Oceans.
No MNC can manufacture Mountains and Deserts.
No MNC can manufacture milions of species and fertile soil.
No MNC can manufacture the Sun.

The glaciers have melted. Arctic Ice has melted. Man can use all his Technology - all the Refrigeration and AirConditioning Technology but he will not be able to recreate the glaciers and Arctic Ice.

Many species of wild animals used to have hundreds of thousands/ millions of members. Now it is down to a few hundred/ a few thousand. Which MNC is going to restore the animal population to its original level?

The Oceans have almost been emptied of all large Fish. Which MNC is going to bring the Fish back in the Ocean?

Man has hunted down several species to extinction after Industrial Revolution. Which MNC is going to make them reappear?

sushil_yadav
http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/...pic.php?t=1796
Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment
sushil_yadav is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2010, 07:40 AM   #202
Lukraak_Sisser
Master Poster

Thank you for repeating what you have said in slightly different form for the 10th time? 11th? It made your position very clear, while before it wasn't
Would you be so kind as to actually answer some of our questions though?
TimCallahan's question about how you think we should return to an ecologically sustainable population for one.
or how about which forms of science we should abolish?
And of course I'm still curious about what you personally sacrifice to make the world a better place?
Also, you seem to consider water non-productive. You are aware that the majority of oxygen produced on the planet comes from photosynthetic algae right? And that for a very large amount of time there was nothing BUT empty land while life was solely located in the sea/ocean? Even if we exterminate every single higher lifeform, it'll all be back a few million years after we're gone.
Now I'm not saying that is a GOOD way of going about things, but that's from a purely human perspective.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2010, 07:42 AM   #203
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sushil_yadav View Post
So green cover is increasing in this world? What a joke.

Is the surface area/ land area of earth increasing in size or what? We have a very small planet in which two-thirds of surface area is water - the remaining is land. Included in this small land area are deserts and frozen lands which do not have vegetation.

If the soil is fertile and it receives rain then forests, trees and plants will grow by themselves. This is how nature made all the forests in this world - they were not created by Forest Departments, Horticulture Departments of the governments or by MultiNational Companies.

Before the arrival of human species all the land in this world that could sustain forests and trees was covered with forests and trees.

Then arrived the heroic human species which cut down the forests, first for agriculture, and then for cities, for roads, for railways, for mining and extraction of raw material for industry, for setting up factories and industries.

Forests have been cut down to create grazing land for cattle that produce beef for the non-vegetarians.

Forests have been cut down to produce bio-fuel for this car-crazy world.

Forests have been cut down to procure raw material for thousands of consumer goods that are being produced today.

How can forest-cover increase in a consumerist Industrial Society? This is an impossibility.

Kindly watch the youtube videos that show forest destruction all over the world.

Kindly see the satellite pictures of worldwide forests taken 30 years ago and compare them with the satellite pictures of forests taken this year to know the reality.

sushil_yadav
Too bad you can not read. The post you have quoted mentioned that in Norway, there are more trees now than 3000 years ago. You are claiming that humans destroy the planet. The quote shows that we are trying to fix that. If the lumber industry plants more trees than it cuts, we are increasing the number of trees.

Why aren't you blaming nature for forest fires that destory trees. Every year the Western United States has fires caused by lightning.

Humans are omnivorous. If God didn't want us to eat animals, then he shouldn't have made them so tasty. If you're a poor country and one of the only assets you have is land, why not graze cattle and make money?

There are some Asain countries that don't eat a lot of beef because of the cost of raising it. When you have limited resources, chickens and goats are better. People eat those goats and chickens.

Nice strawman saying that we are "heroic". Why not say "the evil human race"? And before you do that, realize that I can make leafcutter ants "heroic".

Third time I ask: Please define "consumer goods" and give a few examples.

Edit: Noticed that you waited 15 minutes to post more of the same drivel, but yet you edited your original message. You're wasting this planet's resources.

Last edited by Little 10 Toes; 19th March 2010 at 07:53 AM.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2010, 10:37 AM   #204
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

So green cover is increasing in this world?
Yup.

Quote:
Is the surface area/ land area of earth increasing in size or what? We have a very small planet in which two-thirds of surface area is water - the remaining is land.
True that. A mere 150 million square kilometres. How do we cope?

Quote:
Included in this small land area are deserts and frozen lands which do not have vegetation.
Who knew.

Quote:
If the soil is fertile and it receives rain then forests, trees and plants will grow by themselves. This is how nature made all the forests in this world - they were not created by Forest Departments, Horticulture Departments of the governments or by MultiNational Companies.
So you'd rather we didn't plant new trees now? Naturalistic fallacies aside, a tree is a tree, regardless if it's been planted or just came to grow where it stands naturally. It has the exact same genetic make-up and probably a far bigger chance to thrive when planted by humans.

Quote:
Before the arrival of human species all the land in this world that could sustain forests and trees was covered with forests and trees.

Then arrived the heroic human species [snipped a paragraph's worth of human-hating]
Yes, we cut down trees. Of course we do. Trees, as Penn and Teller so ingeniously pointed out, are a renewable and environment-friendly resource. Unlike rock and concrete and other resources you so much despise.

Sushil... your problem is that you're not realistic. You sit in a dark corner cursing humanity, gnashing your teeth over our evils and the destruction we've wrought upon this earth, and demand we all but erase ourselves from existence and reduce ourselves to wandering tribes in the woods, stone age-style. Guess what, Sushil, that's not going to happen. It's like refusing to give police more funding because we wouldn't need police if only people stopped breaking the law.

Humans aren't going away. "Consumer goods" (still undefined) are here to stay. That's the reality, and it's not going to change until we get hit by an asteroid or destroy ourselves through nuclear war or something.

ETA: Just noticed he's made another post.

Quote:
Man can repair and restore things that have been made by man himself. Car, Computer, Aeroplane, Rocket - if anything goes wrong with these things man can repair and restore.

Man cannot repair and restore Nature/ Environment - because man did not make Nature/ Environment. Once a Forest is destroyed - it is gone for millions of years. One cannot create a Forest in 5 or 50 years - it takes millions of years to make a forest - containing millions of species of animals, insects, birds, plants and trees. Man can create a plantation in 5 or 50 years - not a forest.
A "forest" is just a patch of land with trees and various kinds of animals, birds and insects in it. Sure, it's an incredibly complex eco-system, but if it's something humans are good at, it's making incredibly complex things.

Quote:
The only way to save Environment is by not destroying it - leave it alone - leave it undisturbed. If you destroy Environment you cannot repair and restore it. [Snipped even more teary-eyed "everything was awesome until white men took our land and ruined it"-style nostalgic rhetoric] Man has hunted down several species to extinction after Industrial Revolution. Which MNC is going to make them reappear?
What's your point, that restoring the environment is better left to tiny companies barely making an income? I don't quite understand... oh, wait, you're one of those people who thinks a company automatically becomes evil once it reaches a certain size, aren't you.

ETA again: Either way, all this doom-and-gloom stuff worries me. Is it really that hard for people to push their agendas without painting such a bleak picture? Is it that difficult to just say, "sure, things are looking up, but there's still plenty work to do, so let's get cracking"?

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 19th March 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2010, 01:01 PM   #205
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/...pic.php?t=1796
404 error.

If you're going to post a link with every single one of your posts, please make sure it actually works.
Old 19th March 2010, 01:44 PM   #206
Fiona

I think I have grasped that the OP does not like human beings. I think I have grasped that he likes trees.

Now what?
Fiona is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2010, 01:47 PM   #207
Mark6
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fiona View Post
I think I have grasped that the OP does not like human beings. I think I have grasped that he likes trees.

Now what?
Nothing. He is irrelevant. Put him on "ignore" list.
Old 19th March 2010, 02:31 PM   #208
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
He also hates "consumer goods".
Old 19th March 2010, 02:35 PM   #209
Fiona

Yes but since I am not clear what those are in his universe that does not help me very much: is it food?
Fiona is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2010, 02:43 PM   #210
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Isn't a "consumer good" just something your average consumer buys?
Which would mean it encompasses pretty much every end product in the world.
Old 19th March 2010, 04:37 PM   #211
Lukraak_Sisser
Master Poster

I get the feeling sushil means anything not directly needed to keep yourself fed, clothed and dry/warm, preferably made by yourself.

Oh, while I'm here, another question sushil. You claim our current lifestyle is evil and unnatural. However, we are part of nature. The way we live is the appeantly the natural way the human race progresses. Sure we are changing the ecosystems to suit our needs and I'm not denying that this causes extinctions and less diversification, but at least in our limited ways we are trying to slow the process, if only for the selfish reason we like trees and flowers. How are we more evil than any other major extinction event in history? After all, meteor strikes and whatever caused the other die-offs found in the geological history did not try to limit their impact.
And what form of ecosystem do you prefer? The one present 1000 years ago? Or ice age? Or the carboniforous? (in the latter case we'd need to increase the CO2 content a lot more to get back to the natural temperature).
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2010, 09:42 PM   #212
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TimCallahan View Post
Sushil, now that you're back again, why not answer my question on how we are to get back to a pre-1800 level of population in 20 years? What's your plan? The only way I can see this happening is the short order extermination of the majority of the human race.

If I have misread what you have in mind, tell me in plain, simple language.
Okay, you're back. You're debating various points. Now, kindly answer these questions. They are of paramount importance.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2010, 09:16 AM   #213
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Now what?
He likes trees but and he doesn't want humans to eat animals, but he does want us to plants.

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
He also hates "consumer goods".
Yes but since I am not clear what those are in his universe that does not help me very much: is it food?
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Isn't a "consumer good" just something your average consumer buys?
Which would mean it encompasses pretty much every end product in the world.
I have asked him at least three times to define "consumer goods" and to give some examples. So far he hasnt answered it. I also note that Darat also asked him proof of his OP. That request hasn't been answered either.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2010, 09:29 AM   #214
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
. . . I have asked him at least three times to define "consumer goods" and to give some examples. So far he hasnt answered it. I also note that Darat also asked him proof of his OP. That request hasn't been answered either.
Yes, and I've asked him repeatedly to explain how he intends to get rid of cities, most of the human race and over 99% of all consumer goods - all in 20 years. I've also asked him to clarify his goals i I have misstated them. Others have asked him for scientific evidence of his claims. The only responses anyone ever gets from Sushil Yadev are further bursts of invective against industrial civilization. He holds science in contempt - while using the Internet - thus, he sees no reason to give proof of his claims.

Sushil Yadev's attitude is a mix of arrogance and dishonesty.

Last edited by TimCallahan; 20th March 2010 at 09:31 AM.
TimCallahan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:59 AM   #215
sushil_yadav
Scholar

It is pretty difficult for the Western Civilization to care for nature - to have compassion for nature/ environment. A few hundred years ago the west invaded and colonized the continents of Asia, Africa, America. For a few centuries the west plundered and exploited the natural resources of these colonies [ and of course decimated the native population]. This habit of exploitation, destruction and consumption of nature has become an addiction for the west.

sushil_yadav
PowerSwitch

Last edited by sushil_yadav; 23rd March 2010 at 02:22 AM.
sushil_yadav is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2010, 03:51 AM   #216
AWPrime
Master Poster

It is pretty difficult for the Western Civilization to care for nature - to have compassion for nature/ environment. [snip]
So you are going to ignore all the flaws in your 'theory' that have been pointed out?

As it currently stands Western Civilization is becoming more environmentally friendlier then all the other current civilizations on the planet. Heck if it manages to invent practical fusion power, you can kiss most of the remaining problems good bye.
Rob Lister - "The enemy of my enemy probably tastes yummy. "
AWPrime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2010, 04:54 AM   #217
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

It is pretty difficult for the Western Civilization to care for nature - to have compassion for nature/ environment. A few hundred years ago the west invaded and colonized the continents of Asia, Africa, America. For a few centuries the west plundered and exploited the natural resources of these colonies [ and of course decimated the native population]. This habit of exploitation, destruction and consumption of nature has become an addiction for the west.
Okay, look. Two words.

Green. Industry.

Now shut up. Please.
Old 23rd March 2010, 05:03 AM   #218
dafydd
Banned

No it doesn't.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2010, 05:23 AM   #219
Lukraak_Sisser
Master Poster

sushil_yadav
PowerSwitch
Whatever makes you think any other civilization in history cared for nature?
Even hunter/gatherers tend to take what they can when they can get away with it. Its because of their low numbers and high death rate that they don't have that much impact, not because of the 'one with nature' hippy western interpretation. Look at what the aboriginals did to the australian nature, or the slash and burn tactics widely in use in most jungle communities (tactics used long before they met any westerner).
As for exploitation and colonization, I dare you to point me to any successful nation in history that did NOT engage in such tactics.

However, I note that again you decline to answer any of the questions asked of you in this thread in favor of a rant. Are you real, or just a webbot programmed to post 'industry is bad' at random intervals?
Old 23rd March 2010, 07:12 AM   #220
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Okay, Sushil, now that you're back, assuming you don't have me on "ignore," answer the questions I've been asking you. I'll rephrase them here once more:

How are we to achieve the following goals you have said are necessary in the next 20 years?:

1) The elimination of over 99% of all consumer products.

2) The elimination of all cities.

3)The reduction of the world's human population to pre-1800 levels.

Please say specifically how you intend to accomplish all this in 20 years.
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:22 AM   #221
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
Good thing we have India to set an example, then.
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:50 PM   #222
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Okay, Sushil, now that you're back, assuming you don't have me on "ignore," answer the questions I've been asking you. I'll rephrase them here once more:

How are we to achieve the following goals you have said are necessary in the next 20 years?:

On the chance that Sushil Yadev has me on "ignore," perhaps someone else would like to ask him these questions.
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:22 PM   #223
dafydd
Banned

Ok.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:31 PM   #224
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

sushil_yadav
PowerSwitch
Define "colonized" and give examples. Define "decimated the native population" and give examples. Define "consumer goods" and give examples. Perhaps third time's the charm?
Old 24th March 2010, 01:57 AM   #225
sushil_yadav
Scholar

Originally Posted by Pure_Argent View Post
Okay, look. Two words.

Green. Industry.

Now shut up. Please.

Industrial Society has been spreading blatant lies over the years.

"Green Industry", "Green Technology", "Ethical Consumerism", "Sustainable Development".

These are contradictory terms these are oxymorons.
Industrialization can never be green it is impossible.

You cannot save a person after you have killed him.
You cannot save ecosystems after you have killed them for making consumer goods.

When we make consumer goods we kill Animals, Trees, Air, Water and Land - directly or indirectly.

Industrial Society destroys ecosystems - all Industrial Societies destroy ecosystems.

It hardly matters whether it is "Capitalist Industrial Society" - "Communist Industrial Society" - or "Socialist Industrial Society".

Industrial Society destroys ecosystems at every stage of its functioning - when consumer goods are produced - when consumer goods are used - when consumer goods are discarded/ recycled.

Raw material for industry is obtained by cutting up Forests. It is extracted by mining/ digging up the earth. It comes by destroying/ killing Trees, Animals and Land.

Industries/ Factories use Water. The water that comes out of Factories is contaminated with hundreds of toxic chemicals. What to speak of Rivers - entire Oceans have been polluted. Industry kills Water.

Industries/ Factories burn millions of tonnes of fuel - and when raw material is melted/ heated up, hundreds of toxic chemicals are released into the atmosphere. Industry kills Air.

Industrial Society has covered millions of square miles of land with cement and concrete. Industry kills Land.

When consumer goods are discarded/ thrown away in landfills it again leads to destruction of ecosystems.

When consumer goods are recycled, hundreds of toxic chemicals are released into air, water and land.

Consumer goods are sold/ marketed through a network of millions of kilometers of rail / road network and shipping routes which causes destruction of all ecosystems that come in the way.

We have limited resources/ ecosystems on earth which is just 40,000 km in circumference.

If we destroy ecosystems for fewer things [food, clothing, shelter] the ecosystems will last longer.

If we destroy ecosystems for more things [consumer goods] the ecosystems will finish much sooner.

The fewer things we make the more sustainable we are.

This is common sense - plain common sense - which the so called smart, intelligent, advanced, civilized and developed Industrial Society does not possess.

sushil_yadav
PowerSwitch
Old 24th March 2010, 02:07 AM   #226
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

How do you plan to kill the majority of the population?

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 07:49 AM   #227
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Recycling aluminium cans uses 5% of the energy that it takes to get aluminium from bauxite ore.

You haven't done your homework.

Better yet, please tell me how to get the grain from the American Midwest to the Pacific Coast and Atlantic Coast of the United States to feed the population under your plan? What about the starving children in Africa, how will they get food when they don't have farms or motorized transportation? Can you provide proof of your assertations as requested by Darat when you started this thread? Why bring up the "EQ vs IQ" stuff when you are just coming off as an enviromentalist?

sushil_yadav, stop regurgitating the same stuff at the come back when you have the ability to answer simple questions. I wonder if you're doing this same routine at the other 635 boards.

Last edited by Little 10 Toes; 24th March 2010 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 24th March 2010, 08:38 AM   #228
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
What about the starving children in Africa, how will they get food when they don't have farms or motorized transportation?
Given his derogatory/racist stance on Western culture, I wouldn't be surprised if the starving children in Africa wouldn't be the first to go as part of his "reduce population to two billion" plan.

Quote:
Industries/ Factories use Water. The water that comes out of Factories is contaminated with hundreds of toxic chemicals. What to speak of Rivers - entire Oceans have been polluted. Industry kills Water.
Water is alive now?
Old 24th March 2010, 09:01 AM   #229
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Industrial Society has been spreading blatant lies over the years.

<snip>
Oh, look. He made copypasta. Sorry, but I'm not hungry.

You're just repeating the same baseless assertions which have already been addressed multiple times by multiple posters - myself included.

You have nothing but your rants.

Goodbye.
Old 24th March 2010, 10:15 AM   #230
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Sushil Yadev:

Again, I ask you how we are to do the following in the next 20 years - which you have said is all the time we have left:

1) Put an end to all cities.

2) Rid ourselves of over 99% of all consumer goods.

3) Reduce human population to pre-1800 levels.

The only way I can see to achieve these goals within your 20-year time-table is through the catastrophic elimination of the majority of the human race. Is this what you have in mind? If it is not what you intend, what do you have in mind?

Either answer these questions I have repeatedly asked you or stand condemned as a lying troll.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:41 AM   #231
INRM
Philosopher

There are so many flaws in the argument, it would be little value to mention them all in a concise message response so I'm just going to mention the first subject.

I don't see a difference between doing massive intensive hard labor and complex intellectual labor on it's effect on inhibiting emotion. If you're working your buttocks off all day and night performing physical labor, or doing a lot of mentally intensive work that does not require extensive physical labor, you're not going to be doing much emotional thinking in either circumstance.
INRM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 02:48 PM   #232
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Selected quotes from Sushil Yadav's website ("Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment"):

AS LONG AS CITIES EXIST WE CAN NEITHER SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT
NOR THE MIND.

To save the (remaining) environment from destruction man will have to
return back to physical work (smaller communities).

To save the mind from mental diseases man will have to return back to
physical work (smaller communities).

Environment can be saved only if we stop production of most (more than
99%
) of the consumer goods we are making today.

Time is running out for this planet.
We are in the last 20 years.

Elsewhere Yadav has said that we have to reduce the population to pre-1800 levels. How does he intend to do this in 20 years?
Old 24th March 2010, 02:53 PM   #233
AWPrime
Master Poster

Elsewhere Yadav has said that we have to reduce the population to pre-1800 levels. How does he intend to do this in 20 years?
Well I know of only one method, nuke all the main distribution centers (cities) and then spread diseases in the coming tent cities.

But this and its side-effects will cause extreme ecological damage.
Rob Lister - "The enemy of my enemy probably tastes yummy. "
AWPrime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 03:13 PM   #234
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Here are selected quotes from Sushil Ydav's "Indurstrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment" website:

AS LONG AS CITIES EXIST WE CAN NEITHER SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT
NOR THE MIND.

To save the (remaining) environment from destruction man will have to
return back to physical work (smaller communities).

To save the mind from mental diseases man will have to return back to
physical work (smaller communities).

Environment can be saved only if we stop production of most (more than
99%) of the consumer goods we are making today.

. . . Time is running out for this planet.
We are in the last 20 years.

On this thread, he has said that we must reduce human population to pre-1800 levels. According to Wikipedia, world population now stands at 6,800,000,000 and was at 978,000,000 in 1800. To reduce world population from 6.8 trillion to 0.978 trillion would require a population reduction of about 85%, and this must be done, according to Sushil Yadav, in 20 years.

He can't use the defense he used earlier of saying, "Where did I say that? Where?" So now let him own his words and tell us how he sees the human race accomplishing this.
Old 24th March 2010, 05:51 PM   #235
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
Well I know of only one method, nuke all the main distribution centers (cities) and then spread diseases in the coming tent cities.

But this and its side-effects will cause extreme ecological damage.
Oh, right, couldn't do it if the ecosystems got damaged.

Hmm, tough one.
Old 25th March 2010, 09:47 AM   #236
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Something else that has occurred to me - not that I'll get an answer to this question from that troll, Sushil Yadav - is how he arrived at his conclusion that we only have 20 years left. Did he arbitrarily pick it out of a hat? Is it based on some form of calculation? Who knows? Who will ever know?
Old 25th March 2010, 10:52 PM   #237
TimCallahan
Philosopher

And the dishonest silence continues. Come on. Sushi; prove you're not a weasel: Answer me.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:29 PM   #238
Robin
Philosopher

I don't know why you are all still bothering.

Obviously Sushil neither understands nor genuinely cares about the environmental problems facing our planet.

A few pages back he said straight out that he didn't think there was a solution to these problems.

I am beginning to think he is an anti-environmentalist trying to give a bad rep to environmentalists by pretending to be one.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2010, 01:08 PM   #239
TimCallahan
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I don't know why you are all still bothering.

Obviously Sushil neither understands nor genuinely cares about the environmental problems facing our planet.

A few pages back he said straight out that he didn't think there was a solution to these problems.

I am beginning to think he is an anti-environmentalist trying to give a bad rep to environmentalists by pretending to be one.
You're right, of course. I just wanted Sushi to be honest enough to respond to my questions, even if the response was that we're doomed or that, yes, 85% of the human race must be eradicated. I also wanted to have it on record that he had all kinds of chances to be something other than a lying weasel. I'll check this thread from time to time to make sure he hasn't responded, but I'm through wasting time fencing with someone who's basically dishonest.
Old 26th March 2010, 01:58 PM   #240
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

This, of course, isn't possible without killing billions of people. I suppose we'd pretty much have to launch every nuke we have in a genocidal strike on ourselves, Skynet-style.

So either Sushil is trolling, or he/she has resigned himself/herself to inevitable doom in 20 years.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy