IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags part 2 , loose change , 911 conspiracy theory

Closed Thread
Old 2nd June 2006, 07:58 AM   #1361
Kiwiwriter
Graduate Poster

Smile That key knife

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
That would have to be a very long knife. (I couldn't help myself )
Yes, it would stretch from Newark to Scranton.
Kiwiwriter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 08:05 AM   #1362
60hzxtl
Muse

I just watched Mark's Part 7, and I think the CT'ers missed what really brought the WTC down: at 8:34 the fireman from the Naudet Bros film (remember them? ) mentions "a huge cloud of *****"

How did we not see this?

It was the huge cloud of s*it that did the damage.
60hzxtl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 08:26 AM   #1363
Kiwiwriter
Graduate Poster

Smile Questions, questions, questions

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I agree with you for the most part, and if SBrown meant no harm, all well and good.

Perhaps I'm a bit touchy, but so many CT questions sound reasonable at first but tend to the over simplistic. I'll guess that they are meant less to gain information or insight and more to produce a measure of doubt on the part of the audience. Let's look at the one we're discussing:

"Doesn't the Pentagon have a missile defense system?"

Hmm, seems like they should. It's the Pentagon, the nation's center for defense. Defense is what goes on there. Why, they must have the best defense that budgetary dollars can buy! The best in the world!

But hey, they were attacked. Successfully, too. Something's not right here. Somthing's not right here at all...

You see? The question is suggestive.

Now, I can't prove that SBrown is up to shenanigans with his/her "question" without more info or a display of a continued pattern of behavior (see: geggy). For your reminder of this basic requirement of discourse, thanks.
I have similar problems with Holocaust deniers...and oddly, to a lesser extent with the media and the general public in my job. The public likes to ask the "trap question," which is: "What is the phone number for thus-and-such?"

I answer, and they snarl, "Well, I called that number five times and they're always busy!"

And I have to answer, "Well, if you had started off by saying 'I called that number and it's always busy,' I would have given you a different number. Instead you asked the 'trap question.'"

The media does this, too...expecting me to comment on some statement I haven't heard yet.

Holocaust deniers do it very well...the little question, "Does the Wannsee Protocol really call for the extermination of the Jews?" And after some chitchat you find out his real intention, he'll say, "Look at the protocol more closely," or "Look at this website," which is a denier site.

It's tough...when is a guy just learning and when is a guy trolling? I'm not a mind-reader, but neither are the guys who call themselves mind-readers.
Kiwiwriter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 09:09 AM   #1364
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by MarkyX View Post
Looking at Dylan in CBS or hearing his voice on the radio, the personality displayed in the bar scene was very Out of Character for Dylan. I would've believed it more if he said "I mean" twenty times within a span of 10 seconds.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 09:12 AM   #1365
ZouPrime
Muse

In a previous post here I was saying how so many of the CTers beliefs are built around a naive trust into what we call "common sense". This post on the LC forum shows it very well:

http://s15.invisionfree.com/Loose_Ch...showtopic=5207

Quote:
1) We all have an "innate" sense of how things work in nature. It is this innate sense that leads us to understand laws of physics, such as centrifugal motion, torque, and the like, without having to earn a PhD in the subject. Can any rational, thinking, and most importantly honest person really say that the way the towers fell was not "unusual", and very similar to the way buildings would fall in a demoltion?
It's funny, because he uses as an exemple "centrifugal motion", something a lot of peoples (intuitively) would describe as a "force" even if its not. It's a great exemple of something that is believed "intuitively" but is still very wrong.

I also like the use of the word "unusual". It is "not usual", meaning it is not similar to other events of the same nature. But most of us have little to no experience in observing planes crash on building the size of the WTCs, and seeing these building collapse. We are certainly not "used" to see things like that. So in this context, "unusual" is a completely vaccuous term, since there's no frame of reference.
ZouPrime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 09:17 AM   #1366
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ZouPrime View Post
Yea, I just saw that too. I don't understand why they are claiming the "squibs" are comming from the (partially obcured) second tower; the video clearly shows the explosion of the plane crashing to the left with "UA-175 COLPISCE LA 2e TORRE" in big letters (which is italian for "UA-175 hits the second tower").

Can't these people read? It's written right there on the video! Pathetic.
Quote:
What you see is a high up shot of the first tower already hit and smoking, the first tower is partially obscuring the 2nd tower (to the left) which is yet to be hit by a plane, but it is smoking dense black smoke from two parallel squibs??!! Two further parallel and suspicious squibs are then emitted slightly lower down before the plane hits. We then see the fireball as the plane hits and further squibs being emitted.
Err... isn't the south tower to the left of the screen ?? The smoking part is STILL the north tower!!

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 09:22 AM   #1367
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ZouPrime View Post
It's funny, because he uses as an exemple "centrifugal motion", something a lot of peoples (intuitively) would describe as a "force" even if its not. It's a great exemple of something that is believed "intuitively" but is still very wrong.
Indeed. He also forgets to mention quantum physics and relativity.

Intuition is a very poor tool for discerning truth.

Old 2nd June 2006, 09:27 AM   #1368
60hzxtl
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Indeed. He also forgets to mention quantum physics and relativity.

Intuition is a very poor tool for discerning truth.

I knew that!
60hzxtl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 09:48 AM   #1369
joseph k.
Scholar

Originally Posted by looser's forum
Your account has been temporarily suspended. This suspension is due to end on Jul 2 2006, 05:43 AM.
I guess the cat's out of the bag. I am notingsoc!

To clarify, I am nowhere near D.C., I am not a gov't shill or really much of a gov't apologist[except by accident in this case].

I guess these kids can add proxy servers, cool little programs like tor and privoxy to their list of ignorant misconception.

p.s. I am at least consoled by the badge I have headed my way!
joseph k. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:13 AM   #1370
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

I just checked the status of my original "chipmunk stew" LC membership by trying to log in. Originally, I'd been suspended until the end of May. Now?

Quote:
Your account has been temporarily suspended. This suspension is due to end on Feb 22 2009, 08:41 PM.
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:18 AM   #1371
RyanRoberts
Critical Thinker

Got uncritical coverage in The Madison Capital Times as a guest editorial.
RyanRoberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:20 AM   #1372
dubfan
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by RyanRoberts View Post
Now getting coverage The Madison Capital Times as a guest editorial. Disgusting.
Yeah, more of this Morgan Reynolds character. I think I'm going to be physically ill.

He's an economist, btw, but that doesn't stop Roxdog from citing his shoddy "rebuttal" of Frank Greening's work.

Somebody with an unsuspended account, please get in there. This is driving me crazy.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of what he was never reasoned into." -- Jonathan Swift
dubfan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:25 AM   #1373
Hutch
A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers

Guess I pushed it to far. Can't log in, can even view the bloody Loose Change board. Only thing I get is:

Quote:
Sorry, you are not permitted to use this board
Bet it was TheQuest that got me. Betcha further he'll ban all the folks arguing with him on the moon hoax.

Well, it was quite an experience while it lasted...

Last edited by Hutch; 2nd June 2006 at 10:27 AM.
Hutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:26 AM   #1374
joseph k.
Scholar

Originally Posted by chipmunk stew View Post
I just checked the status of my original "chipmunk stew" LC membership by trying to log in. Originally, I'd been suspended until the end of May. Now?

Sheesh. You're dangerous! It seems they may be cleaning house of any suspected JREF ninjas, as well as anyone who's ip is bounced off of Washington.
Maybe after I recover from the loss, I will create notingsoc part deux. [I may have to practice more clandestinity this mission]
joseph k. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:33 AM   #1375
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Arkan_Wolfshade View Post
That, and it's easy to pick out from the air.
And the hijackers STILL had to come around for a second pass.

I'm guessing the DC and Pennsylvania hijackers weren't their "A" team.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:33 AM   #1376
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
Guess I pushed it to far. Can't log in, can even view the bloody Loose Change board. Only thing I get is:

Bet it was TheQuest that got me. Betcha further he'll ban all the folks arguing with him on the moon hoax.

I keep wondering how many times the Loose Change children can keep wetting their pants and still function in society.

Oh wait, they don't.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:35 AM   #1377
dubfan
Critical Thinker

Guess I pushed it to far. Can't log in, can even view the bloody Loose Change board.
Clear the invisionfree cookies in your browser and you should be good to go -- at least to be able to view the board.

Although, being able to read and not reply to the rank stupidity over there is its own form of torture.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of what he was never reasoned into." -- Jonathan Swift
dubfan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:36 AM   #1378
Abbyas
Muse

Yeah, the skeptics forum over there has gotten very boring now that the moderators have kicked out all dissenters.

It's just a bunch of "Skeptics answer this!" with no skeptics left to answer.
Abbyas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:39 AM   #1379
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

"plaguepuppy" (aka Jeff King) now posting at the LC forums:
http://s15.invisionfree.com/Loose_Ch...post&p=4977084

Gravy, if we can set up an online (forum-style) debate between you and Jeff, are you game?
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:40 AM   #1380
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
No kidding. If I were running an opressive, totalitarian government secret agency, the first thing I'd do to stop people from exposing a dark secrete is crash the hard drive of their snottiest, whiniest, most pathetic mouthbreathing member of the would be 'exposers'. Beats death squads for sure!
Especially America's death squads, which, in fact, do exist, but are required by government quotas to hire only severly handicapped minorities from South Dakota. They aren't very effective, to be honest.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:42 AM   #1381
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
Especially America's death squads, which, in fact, do exist, but are required by government quotas to hire only severly handicapped minorities from South Dakota. They aren't very effective, to be honest.
True.

More of a "Minor Inconvenience" Squad than a "Death" Squad. I mean, those electric wheelchairs only go so fast, you know?
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:44 AM   #1382
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
True.

More of a "Minor Inconvenience" Squad than a "Death" Squad. I mean, those electric wheelchairs only go so fast, you know?
They can cause a mean rash if you're not careful, though.
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:47 AM   #1383
Pardalis
Banned

Quote:
Your account has been temporarily suspended. This suspension is due to end on Feb 22 2009, 08:41 PM.
At least Bush won't be around by then and the whole LC insanity will have died out.
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:47 AM   #1384
delphi_ote
Philosopher

If you remembered that and actually made a post on 02/22/09, you would be my hero.
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:48 AM   #1385
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Abbyas View Post
Yeah, the skeptics forum over there has gotten very boring now that the moderators have kicked out all dissenters.

So many idiots, so little access.

Ah well, it'll be fun when Dylan starts making his own Kool-Aid.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:50 AM   #1386
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
True.

yeah, but they're deadly if they get to you whilst you're in a swimming pool. But only once.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:52 AM   #1387
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
At least Bush won't be around by then and the whole LC insanity will have died out.
One word: Jeb.
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:52 AM   #1388
bob_kark
Person of Hench

Originally Posted by Abbyas View Post

I've answered a few. I'm trying to be a polite guest while over there, I haven't been banned yet, we'll see. I mainly just stick to the skeptic board, its not like it would make much of a difference to post on the other boards. Its kind of nice actually, I usually don't get much of a chance to refute some of the statements on here as there is such an armada following this thread. Anyway, I only get to post there when I'm home, so I'm not able to do as much as I'd like.
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:54 AM   #1389
Kiwiwriter
Graduate Poster

Smile Suspended to 2009?

Wow. They must really hate your guts.

And think they'll still be up and running years from now.

And that the apocalypse won't happen until after that.

I guess they think you took steroids while playing in the major leagues or something.
Old 2nd June 2006, 10:55 AM   #1390
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

From Loose Change:

Originally Posted by TheQuest
payt and denheer (same person or friends) and hutch have been banned permanently.

If anyone sees these guys back, let me know immediately.
What TheQuest really meant to say was:

Originally Posted by TheQuest
payt and denheer (same person or friends) and hutch have been banned permanently since they keep repeatedly kicking my ass over this moon hoax issue I so desperately, desperately want to beleive in. Since I am such a damned idiot that I cannot prove my flailing ignorance is anything close to the truth I will (ab)use my moderating powers to ban those who disagree with me.
Hope TheQuest enjoys the circle-jerk.

Old 2nd June 2006, 10:59 AM   #1391
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kiwiwriter View Post

And that the apocalypse won't happen until after that.

I guess they think you took steroids while playing in the major leagues or something.
I think they're counting on the apocalypse happening before that. (Sarah Connor keeps mentioning 2008 in a creepy way--like s/he expects something severe to happen that year.) It's effectively a ban, but perhaps a suspension is easier to rationalize.
Old 2nd June 2006, 11:15 AM   #1392
60hzxtl
Muse

Originally Posted by Kiwiwriter View Post

Of course they'll still be around - if you chase smoke, and shadows and ghosts, you never catch them, so you keep chasing.

Catch a real bad guy and you have to have a trial.

My goal is to keep the loser's bilge water from ever being used at a defense trial of any bad guy.
Old 2nd June 2006, 11:26 AM   #1393
Manny
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 60hzxtl View Post
Of course they'll still be around - if you chase smoke, and shadows and ghosts, you never catch them, so you keep chasing.
True. But ironically, the more attention they get the less likely it is that that particular spot will be around.

They already got enough publicity to come to the attention of the lawyers for the Naudet Brothers, and that's just by being in the Google top 10 along with clips from camgirls and rejects from America's Funniest Home Videos. Eventually, if they get their wish, they'll come to the attention of the Somerset County Coroner, whose beliefs they lied about and the lawyers of that fellow at the engine plant, whose words they misrepresented, and maybe to the lawyers for Larry Silverstein, whom they all but accuse of mass murder and treason, and the lawyers for...
Manny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 11:27 AM   #1394
Ramooone
Thinker

we've all been banned from there, if you dont feel like clearing your cookies there is a back way in. on the bottom of the page that notifies you of your suspension theres a link that says "archive" it lets you back into the forum hahahaha.

"an astronomer tried to outwit a police officer by using the doppler affect, having been caught jumping a red light, the astronomer argued that the light appeared green to him because he was moving towards it and it blueshifted. the police office excused him of the red light ticket and promptly wrote him a speeding ticket."
Ramooone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 11:29 AM   #1395
Ramooone
Thinker

ive been away for a day or so, but this iss the best ninja website on earth and possibly the whole milky way.

http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm

"an astronomer tried to outwit a police officer by using the doppler affect, having been caught jumping a red light, the astronomer argued that the light appeared green to him because he was moving towards it and it blueshifted. the police office excused him of the red light ticket and promptly wrote him a speeding ticket."
Ramooone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 11:43 AM   #1396
Johnny Pixels
Graduate Poster

I'm still allowed in, but probably because I've only made two posts since I signed up about a month ago.

I'm not sure if I should go serious, or as an agent of the humour revolution.
Johnny Pixels is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 11:48 AM   #1397
Hutch
A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
From Loose Change:
payt and denheer (same person or friends) and hutch have been banned permanently.

If anyone sees these guys back, let me know immediately.
Not surprised. He apparently sent me a PM over there to tell me I was banned, unfortunately he was in such a hurry to ban me that I never got to read it! (somehow I'll survive the disappointment).

I actually feel sorry for payt, he was in favor of 9-11 being a conspiracy, but he could differeniate between what he feels is a conspiracy (9-11) and what he knows by evidence as a fact (Apollo). Unfortunately for him, TheQuest is quite incapable of making such a distinction and lumped him in with the rest of us ninjas...don't even remember who denheer was??

I rather hope payt is re-instated by a moderator that is not quite two loaves short of a picnic. Or maybe he can come over here; we may yet turn him to the Dark Side...
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:01 PM   #1398
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
So you're jumping to the conclusion that restricted airspaces automatically have missile defense systems?
ETA: Like sports stadiums?
And airports... and cities...and Military bases...and test ranges like White Sands...and Nuke power plants...
Restricted Airspace means you have to have permission to be there. If not, you get escorted out and forced to land by F-16's or whatever is available. Then you talk to ... THE MAN, who asks some really hard questions
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:09 PM   #1399
Belz...
Fiend God

Quote:
I'll second that.

Old 2nd June 2006, 12:22 PM   #1400
delphi_ote
Philosopher

I actually feel sorry for payt, he was in favor of 9-11 being a conspiracy, but he could differeniate between what he feels is a conspiracy (9-11) and what he knows by evidence as a fact (Apollo). Unfortunately for him, TheQuest is quite incapable of making such a distinction and lumped him in with the rest of us ninjas...don't even remember who denheer was??
They have one and only one forum rule:

YOU WILL BELIEVE EVERYTHING
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories