IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags part 3 , loose change , 911 conspiracy theory

Closed Thread
Old 20th July 2006, 01:43 AM   #2521
kevin
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by apathoid View Post
How does his thermite/thermate account for pulverized concrete anyways? Its an incendiary, correct. So, he thinks explosives were used in addition to Thermate/ite just to pulverize concrete for no apparent reason other than to give a few internet detectives a "smoking gun" to find?
He seems to have missed a few steps in his test. What happens when you drop the brick 100 times more (once for each floor it hit) each time adding a brick to the load.

He seems to think each floor fell only 12 feet, and the mass (and therefore force) didn't increase as the floors accumulated together.
kevin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 03:15 AM   #2522
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by apathoid View Post
How does his thermite/thermate account for pulverized concrete anyways? Its an incendiary, correct. So, he thinks explosives were used in addition to Thermate/ite just to pulverize concrete for no apparent reason other than to give a few internet detectives a "smoking gun" to find?
Cursed whistle blowers! Foiled again!
twinstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 03:31 AM   #2523
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by Kent1 View Post
He also used a doctored photo once where he (or someone else) cranked up the contrast....then stated how the white blobs were evidence of thermite.

This guy is a lunatic! It's so obvious that photo has its contrast cranked up!

I didn't even need to see the comparison first... the first photo looked like a high-bit photo that had been degenerated down to a low-bit gif. The contrast was through the roof!

when will the madness end?

-Andrew

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 03:37 AM   #2524
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Christ! Doesn't the idiot know that when you crank up the contrast, you loose details in the bright end of the histogram?! The end result looks like a really badly damaged paperfoto.
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 04:12 AM   #2525
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Well, heck, I'm still laughing at Jones' attempt to take a chunk of concrete and claim it was cooled melted steel. There was rebar sticking out of the dang thing!

What's more fun was those CT's who bought it. "Concrete isn't rust colored".

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 04:19 AM   #2526
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Hello everyone, my name is John and I'm a regular guy from Connecticut.. I just stumbled across this film on the Net and it contains so much concentrated absurdity, I hardly know where to begin.. but there's one point I just had to bring up here.. the video of the collapse of WTC 7 that purports to show the building falling at "free-fall speed" is truncated.. the CTs start the video about two seconds after the actual collapse began.. there were TWO penthouses atop WTC 7, but in the video they like to show (the one showing the "squibs") one has already collapsed.. you can see the full video at 911myths, which pretty thoroughly debunks many of the Looseniks' arguments... sorry if this site has already been referenced, I know there are literally thousands of posts in this thread... thanks for reading.

John
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 04:33 AM   #2527
60hzxtl
Muse

Welcome Jhunter,

If you have a summer off, you can catch up on the three (3!!!) threads here.

Your comment is the first I've heard of that point, and well taken. I similarly (re)found this sight after some one I know sent me to see that idiotic film - the more examination the sillier it becomes.

I stay because I never want to live to see the bilge water presented by the nutters used by the defense in any trial of a genuine bad guy. I don't ever want to see a Jones, or a Fetzer become an "expert" witness.

These idiots are making their career, or gaining their tenure at spineless ivory towers, where "controversy" outweighs scholarship, and brings in $$ to build the University's new sports complex. (Flat earther's and witch burners, and alchemists are passe you know.)

Add some professional malcontents, mix in a bit of anarchist, and give them a ring master in the center ring, call him Dylan Avery, and you have the Circus of Loose Change.

Last edited by 60hzxtl; 20th July 2006 at 04:38 AM.
60hzxtl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 05:39 AM   #2528
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The_Fire View Post
Christ! Doesn't the idiot know that when you crank up the contrast, you loose details in the bright end of the histogram?! The end result looks like a really badly damaged paperfoto.
Oh no! I just turned on the thermite detector on my T.V. and that stuff is everywhere!
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 05:51 AM   #2529
jhunter1163

I read a book once upon a time (back in the 90's) entitled "Bad Science" about cold fusion.. and, as I recall, this guy Steven Jones was one of the biggest proponents. So when I saw his name attached to this, I knew to take it with a grain of salt. After reading the criticisms of his "research" here, anything he produces in the future will be taken with a grain of salt the size of my car.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 05:53 AM   #2530
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
I read a book once upon a time (back in the 90's) entitled "Bad Science" about cold fusion.. and, as I recall, this guy Steven Jones was one of the biggest proponents. So when I saw his name attached to this, I knew to take it with a grain of salt. After reading the criticisms of his "research" here, anything he produces in the future will be taken with a grain of salt the size of my car.
That's a good book. Jones gets off light compared to Pons and Fleischmann, but he still gets pretty lambasted for his antics.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 06:02 AM   #2531
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Hello everyone, my name is John and I'm a regular guy from Connecticut.. I just stumbled across this film on the Net and it contains so much concentrated absurdity, I hardly know where to begin.. but there's one point I just had to bring up here.. the video of the collapse of WTC 7 that purports to show the building falling at "free-fall speed" is truncated.. the CTs start the video about two seconds after the actual collapse began.. there were TWO penthouses atop WTC 7, but in the video they like to show (the one showing the "squibs") one has already collapsed.. you can see the full video at 911myths, which pretty thoroughly debunks many of the Looseniks' arguments... sorry if this site has already been referenced, I know there are literally thousands of posts in this thread... thanks for reading.

John
Welcome jhunter. Thanks for pointing that out. The Loosers did the same thing with the video of the collapse of the south tower: cut off the first two seconds. They don't edit, they circumcise.
Old 20th July 2006, 06:12 AM   #2532
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
That's a good book. Jones gets off light compared to Pons and Fleischmann, but he still gets pretty lambasted for his antics.
He probably got off light by following standard CT operating procedure: Make your claims vague, tentative, and displaying no intellectual courage.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 06:19 AM   #2533
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

The British 9/11 Truth Campaign appears very open to good debate, and they appear to have people who will engage in a much more sophisticated and mature manner than those we engaged with at the Loose Change forum. Please join me and Gravy in the discussion:
http://www.nineeleven.co.uk/board/vi...?p=12648#12648
http://www.nineeleven.co.uk/board/vi...?p=12630#12630
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 06:21 AM   #2534
jhunter1163

You're right, Kookbreaker, that is a good book, and I recommend it to anyone wishing to gain insight into Jones's "scientific method", although Pons and Fleischmann did get the brunt of the ridicule.
Old 20th July 2006, 06:37 AM   #2535
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Welcome jhunter,

I think the thing that seperates you and most of us from the current CT crowd is that we read books. We do not rely on the internet for all our information.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 06:46 AM   #2536
jhunter1163

Thanks CptColumbo.. that and we do not live in CT Land, where erroneous initial reports are never corrected, everything on the Internet is gospel, and the world is controlled by Skull and Bones members. *rolls eyes*
Old 20th July 2006, 06:49 AM   #2537
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Well, you know that's true.

The world is actually controlled by a small, select, secretive group of people who, unfortunately, do not include any of my family or friends (so no free airfare or assasinations).

Welcome aboard
Old 20th July 2006, 07:00 AM   #2538
60hzxtl
Muse

Ok, jhunter explain this discrepency:

In your first post you say: "I'm a regular guy from Connecticut. . . "

In your 4th post you say:

"that and we do not live in CT Land,"

Did you move from Connecticut that fast?????

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
60hzxtl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 07:18 AM   #2539
jhunter1163

LOL 60hzxtl.. I suppose the conspiracy-minded would take that discrepancy and combine it with my membership in a secret society in eighth grade (we were called the Warlocks, and tried to project the impression of dabbling in the occult when in fact the entire purpose of the organization was to put together enough resources to purchase a extra-large bag of nacho cheese Doritos and a 12-pack of Coke) and turn me into some kind of Communist-sympathizing disinformationist. Although I suppose pooling our resources like that does smack of communism...
Old 20th July 2006, 07:21 AM   #2540
60hzxtl
Muse

Although I suppose pooling our resources like that does smack of communism...

Only if you ate more than your share. . .
Old 20th July 2006, 07:22 AM   #2541
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
He probably got off light by following standard CT operating procedure: Make your claims vague, tentative, and displaying no intellectual courage.
As I recall from the book, when Jones was speaking in professional circles, he was very conservative about what his findings meant. No hype, no assumptions, even acknowledging that he could be wrong about the whole thing.

In informal circles he couldn't stop talking about desktop Cold Fusion generators.

What is frightening is that when Jones showed up on the CT scene he billed himself as 'one of the first to debunk Pons & Fleischmann'. Wow, talk about revisionism.

Old 20th July 2006, 07:48 AM   #2542
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by 60hzxtl View Post

Did you move from Connecticut that fast?????

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
He wanted to avoid guilt by abbreviation.
Old 20th July 2006, 08:02 AM   #2543
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
He wanted to avoid guilt by abbreviation.
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 08:14 AM   #2544
rikzilla
Ninja wave: Atomic fire-breath ninja

Originally Posted by chipmunk stew View Post
The British 9/11 Truth Campaign appears very open to good debate, and they appear to have people who will engage in a much more sophisticated and mature manner than those we engaged with at the Loose Change forum. Please join me and Gravy in the discussion:

I'm there man....just call me Mr. Ref.

-z
Old 20th July 2006, 08:29 AM   #2545
MarkyX
Master Poster

An interesting thread on the Professional Pilots board.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233975
Old 20th July 2006, 08:34 AM   #2546
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Just read through both threads, it's loose change all over again, only with different names. Same questions, same sarcasm, same lack of evidence.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 08:35 AM   #2547
Mancman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
Just read through both threads, it's loose change all over again, only with different names. Same questions, same sarcasm, same lack of evidence.
Yep, I got the exact same impression.
Mancman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 08:43 AM   #2548
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

It's starting to feel that way. Down to the well-considered YAWN response. One guy called DeFecToR and a couple others give me some hope. And they don't seem inclined to knee-jerk suspensions. Although Ally is calling for a "Troll Hole" subforum. *sigh*... I'm going to give it some time.
Old 20th July 2006, 08:43 AM   #2549
60hzxtl
Muse

Don't get sore at them, just like the ct'ers here, they're still waiting for the Check to arrive because, don't forget, Bill Gates is going to share his personal fortune with them!
Old 20th July 2006, 09:11 AM   #2550
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

It's starting to feel that way. Down to the well-considered YAWN response. One guy called DeFecToR and a couple others give me some hope. And they don't seem inclined to knee-jerk suspensions. Although Ally is calling for a "Troll Hole" subforum. *sigh*... I'm going to give it some time.
I hope I didn't come off, with my response, poorly. I am envious of yours, Gravy's and others willingness and ability to jump into whatever CT cesspool presents itself yet maintain your composure and ability to take the high road.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 09:11 AM   #2551
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Kent1 View Post
5. I conducted simple experiments on the "pancaking"
theory, by dropping cement blocks from approximately
12 feet onto other cement blocks. (The floors in the
WTC buildings were about 12 feet apart.) We are
supposed to believe, from the pancaking theory, that a
concrete floor dropping 12 feet onto another concrete
floor will result in PULVERIZED concrete observed
during the Towers' collapses! Nonsense! My own
experiments, and I welcome you to try this yourself,
is that only chips/large chunks of cement flaked off
the blocks -- no mass pulverization to approx.
100-micron powder as observed.

Holy mother of...

Doesn't anyone in the CT crowd know anything about SCALE ?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 09:16 AM   #2552
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The_Fire View Post
Didn't someone post a link where this girl thought she saw signs of a reptilian invasion based on highly-photoshopped pictures ?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 09:34 AM   #2553
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

This girl?

Warning: Beware of contaminated water supplies! Suspected source of contamination: Sarah-I

A non-Rockstar Rambler and dissector of Doggerel
Bronze Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 09:42 AM   #2554
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BronzeDog View Post
I do believe that was her, though it doesn't link to the same web page. If it isn't her it's a reasonable facsimile.

Old 20th July 2006, 09:59 AM   #2555
MarkyX
Master Poster

I want to shoot myself now.

Someone on my YouTube video is claiming that he is an engineer and many other engineers disagree with the official theory, and that the fires couldn't have gone higher then 200 degrees celcius (I cook my pizza at 400 degrees!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZGscWP5Osw

Last edited by MarkyX; 20th July 2006 at 10:03 AM.
MarkyX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 10:09 AM   #2556
jhunter1163

200 C = 392 F, just below pizza-baking temp. Maybe you'd only use 375 if you wanted a softer crust. But your point is made.
Old 20th July 2006, 10:10 AM   #2557
Abbyas
Muse

Quote:
Someone on my YouTube video is claiming that he is an engineer and many other engineers disagree with the official theory, and that the fires couldn't have gone higher then 200 degrees celcius (I cook my pizza at 400 degrees!)
Not that I'm one to defend woos, but I think we have a F/C issue here. You'd have one singed pizza at 400 C.

ETA: NEVERMIND
Abbyas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 10:12 AM   #2558
jhunter1163

Also, by that logic, paper shouldn't have ignited (remember Fahrenheit 451). I think we can all draw our own conclusions on this "engineer".
Old 20th July 2006, 10:13 AM   #2559
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Singed?! The bloody thing would be on fire! If you can get a normal household oven which goes that high!

ETA: Nevermind. It was that fahrenheit thing the americans seems to favour again....*mumbles* Ruddy yanks and their weird systems....
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne

Last edited by The_Fire; 20th July 2006 at 10:19 AM.
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 10:14 AM   #2560
MarkyX
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Abbyas View Post
Not that I'm one to defend woos, but I think we have a F/C issue here. You'd have one singed pizza at 400 C.

ETA: NEVERMIND
What the hell have I been doing for the past ten years cooking left over pizza? 450 to be precise, for 4 minutes.

EDIT: Damnit, now I just found it's not C. Stupid American Ovens not labeling their temperature. Now I know I leave the cooking to women (sorry Abby and The_Fire!)

Last edited by MarkyX; 20th July 2006 at 10:21 AM.
MarkyX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories