ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th June 2006, 08:11 AM   #1
richardm
Philosopher

Moving Thunderbird from one PC to another.

I have a new PC and want to move my Mozilla Thunderbird mail stuff onto it. I've copied the contents of my Thunderbird profile directory from one PC to another, but when I start Thunderbird it doesn't seem to pick up the changes, prompting me to enter new account details and so on.

I got a bunch of "Do you want to replace file x" messages when copying, so I'm fairly confident I'm in the right place with the profile. Anything else I need to do, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2006, 08:18 AM   #2
vbloke
Disturbing shirts

Your mail files are inside your profile, in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files — one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in "mbox" format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. Tell the other program to import mail from the file with no extension.

If you want to transfer a mail file to another Mozilla profile or another installation of Mozilla, simply put the mail file into the other installation's Mail folder.

http://www.ukskeptics.com
Skepticism in the UK
vbloke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2006, 08:32 AM   #3
richardm
Philosopher

Originally Posted by vbloke View Post
If you want to transfer a mail file to another Mozilla profile or another installation of Mozilla, simply put the mail file into the other installation's Mail folder.
I thought I'd done that. I'll check to see whether I really have or not. If all else fails I'll try importing it. Thanks!
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2006, 07:49 PM   #4
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

You also have to pull your Profile folder across (C:\Documents and Settings\xxUserNamexx\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles) to the same location on the new computer and then edit the Profiles.ini to the Profile name.

From my system. My profile folder name is lxfinf0z.default and my .ini file reads;
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/zian4gb0.default

Obviously the bolded bit is the one to match up with your folder name

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2006, 05:56 AM   #5
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Damn, that'll teach me to post late at night Corrected version below

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
From my system. My profile folder name is lxfinf0z.default and my .ini file reads;
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/lxfinf0z.default

Obviously the bolded bit is the one to match up with your folder name

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet