IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags poltergeists

Old 21st June 2006, 03:19 AM   #1
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

The Enfield Poltergeist

I remember seeing a documentary on this incident some time ago. From the presentation of the documentary, it is the only "supernatural" event I've heard of that had the least liklihood of truthfulness.

The status and volume of "Witnesses" presented in the documentary seem quite a compelling argument. (Police officers, the BBC, etc)

I'm just curious what has been dug up regarding this event as an explanation.

Cheers,
Andrew
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2006, 03:57 AM   #2
Banbury
Scholar

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
..., it is the only "supernatural" event I've heard of that had the least liklihood of truthfulness.
This might be my lacking knowledge in English, but I think this sentence says that this event has very little likelihood of containing any truth. With this I would agree.
According to the Wikipedia teenagers where involved with this Poltergeist activity, as usual.
Banbury is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2006, 03:59 AM   #3
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
I remember seeing a documentary on this incident some time ago. From the presentation of the documentary, it is the only "supernatural" event I've heard of that had the least liklihood of truthfulness.

The status and volume of "Witnesses" presented in the documentary seem quite a compelling argument. (Police officers, the BBC, etc)

I'm just curious what has been dug up regarding this event as an explanation.

Cheers,
Andrew
can you give any more information?
or even a link?
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2006, 04:01 AM   #4
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

The best account, from a quick search is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_Poltergeist

I find the accounts to be somewhat biased.

If we cut to the bone, it seems:

The phenomenon seems entirely confined to the family. Nothing happened before or after the period mentioned.

Various typical poltergeist pnenomenon were recorded, accelerating over time. Of course, many of them must necessarily be bona fide accounts of the involved family.

Various investigators, none of which appears to have been magicians or physicists, were able to find mundane explanations.

One of the daughters admitted to having faked some incidents.

The claim that using the false vocal chords for more than a few minutes is provably false. Several performers have been doing this for prolonged performance.

My conclusion: Inconclusive, but mundane explanations can certainly not be excluded. Especially not fraud.

Hans
Old 21st June 2006, 04:09 AM   #5
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
can you give any more information?
or even a link?
Sorry, I was being vague.

The Wikipedia entry is here

The children claimed to fake one or two things to try catch out the investigators, and the investigators seem to have caught them. However the investigators who stayed 5 months still maintain much activity was genuine (despite catching the children out on the fake ones). The other research, over only a couple of days attributes it all to the children, however there are also incidents such as the attempted briding of a child to say they did it all.

This also doesn't address things like a police officer giving a sworn affidavit claiming to see a chair move on its own and the damaged BBC equipment.

I'm inclined to have "Faith" there is a perfectly scientific explanation. But unlike most ghost stories I can't really produce an air tight one simply from common sense.

-Andrew
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2006, 04:19 AM   #6
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

A link from Wikipedia leads here

This site seems fairly biased on first glance... the background gives it away... :P

It seems fairly conclusive that later activity in the second investigation (of only a few days) was purely the children playing around.

-Andrew
Old 22nd June 2006, 06:31 AM   #7
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

Ed and Lorraine Warren were in on that investigation, too. Where they go, humbug follows.

Transcript of Voices Tape
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2007, 04:13 PM   #8
QueigBladecaster
New Blood

One of the main investigators claiming it was genuine was Guy Lyon Playfair.

He is also the co-author of "the geller effect" (co-authored with the great spoon bender himself)

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions on the subjectivity of the investigations.

Since I lived in Enfield at the time I've obvioulsy taken an interest in this case over the years, and my opinion is that it was faked. The second set of occurances most certainly were and the girls were caught on tape doing it (bending a spoon strangely enough).
QueigBladecaster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal