ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th July 2006, 06:42 AM   #1
Dr Adequate
Banned

The New Age Is A Paper Tiger

The New Age Is A Paper Tiger

New Age: Wouldn't it be wonderful if minute doses of toxins could make people healthier?

Science: Vaccination?

New Age: Homeopathy! Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could cure diseases by sticking needles in people?

Science: Intravenous injection?

New Age: Acupuncture! Wouldn't it be wonderful if people without medical degrees or scientific training could treat serious medical conditions by the laying on of hands?

Science: CPR?

New Age: Faith healing! Wouldn't it be wonderful if naturally occurring substances could cure diseases?

Science: Penicillin?

New Age: Ephedra! Wouldn't it be wonderful if people had remarkable mental powers?

Science: Language, memory, imagination, reason, love, compassion, hope, altruism...

New Age: Spoonbending! Wouldn't it be wonderful if people could communicate with one another over large distances?

Science: By telephone?

New Age: By telepathy! Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was some way of seeing distant people and places?

Science: Television?

New Age: Remote viewing! Wouldn't it be wonderful if people could fly?

Science: By aeroplane?

New Age: By bouncing on their bottoms and repeating a mantra! Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could determine the sex of an unborn child?

Science: Using ultrasound?

New Age: Using pendulum dowsing! Wouldn't it be wonderful if every part of the universe was bound to every other part by mysterious forces?

Science: As in quantum physics?

New Age: As an explanation for the tricks of stage psychics! Wouldn't it be wonderful if mysterious vibrations were the explanation for all phenomena?

Science: Quantum physics again, surely?

New Age: Such as the "good vibrations" I get from my magic crystals! Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was such a thing as "negative energy''?

Science: As is associated with a gravitational field?

New Age: As an objective, scientific explanation of why I should dislike the people I dislike! Wouldn't it be wonderful if the study of numbers and calculation could help us to discover how the world works?

Science: Mathematics?

New Age: Numerology! Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were some things science can't explain...

Science: Here's a list as long as your arm. Can you help us to get research funding?

New Age: ... such as why a pretty pebble price $29.99 plus postage and packing can improve my karma and ward off negative forces! Wouldn't it be wonderful if studying the stars could lead us to important truths?

Science: Such as the origin of the universe?

New Age: Such as that Librans should avoid shopping trips this Wednesday! Wouldn't it be wonderful if in some distant mountain range there flourished an shaggy semi-intelligent animal closely related to humans?

Science: The Congo mountain gorilla?

New Age: The yeti! Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Earth were being observed from outer space?

Science: By weather satellites?

New Age: By Little Green Men! Wouldn't it be wonderful if ancient civilizations had discovered a mysterious occult key to the workings of the Universe, the knowlege of which has been handed down from generation to generation by a small, shy, uncommunicative sect?

Science: Mathematicians?

New Age: Atlanteans! Wouldn't it be wonderful if superior intelligences who have mastered the secrets of space flight were trying to communicate with me?

Science: Scientists?

New Age: Aliens! Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were beautiful stripy ferocious big cats living in Asia...

Science: Tigers?

New Age: ... made entirely out of paper! After all, aren't things always more wonderful if they are...

Science: Real?

New Age: Imaginary!
Dr Adequate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Nice

One slight correction I'd make though:
Quote:
New Age: As an explanation for the tricks of stage psychics! Wouldn't it be wonderful if mysterious vibrations were the explanation for all phenomena?

Science: String theory?
To my understanding, string theory is more involved with multi-dimensional vibrations as an explanation for various base properties of particles. But QM may get into this too, IANAE
Old 11th July 2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by Dr Adequate View Post
<snip>
New Age: After all, aren't things always more wonderful if they are...

Science: Real?

New Age: Imaginary!
Nominated! Good job, Doc.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2006, 08:56 AM   #4
Hagrok
Muse

That was good; I think I'll save it, if you don't mind.
Old 11th July 2006, 09:00 AM   #5
tkingdoll
Penultimate Amazing

Sir, you have my eternal respect. With your permission, I would like to link to this in tomorrow's skepchick blog entry if that's OK.
tkingdoll is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Nominated! Good job, Doc.
Damn it! Beat me by twenty minutes!
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2006, 09:35 AM   #7
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

Blog'd! Without Permission!

Warning: Beware of contaminated water supplies! Suspected source of contamination: Sarah-I

A non-Rockstar Rambler and dissector of Doggerel
Bronze Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2006, 10:38 AM   #8
Ashles
Pith Artist

Sometimes Dr A you rise above mere adequacy, and exceed even standard competence.

Sometimes you fly.

I wont nominate this again - merely vote for it.

Why do I never receive things like that in my mailbox?
Old 11th July 2006, 12:52 PM   #9
Dr Adequate
Banned

Thanks for the kind words, nominations, and teek's eternal respect (which I plan to keep in a small jar on the mantlepiece next to Art Vandelay's ego).

I'd also like to thank all the woos in the world for being so damn stupid.
Dr Adequate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2006, 12:55 PM   #10
Dr Adequate
Banned

Originally Posted by tkingdoll View Post
Sir, you have my eternal respect. With your permission, I would like to link to this in tomorrow's skepchick blog entry if that's OK.
But of course : I write these things in order that people should read them.
Old 11th July 2006, 02:56 PM   #11
Forty-Two
Muse

Originally Posted by Ashles View Post
Why do I never receive things like that in my mailbox?
Next time you receive one of those schmaltzy, fuzzy emails, you should forward Dr. Adequate's piece to whomever sent you the email (properly attributed, of course). If anyone complains, say you find it inspirational. I know I do.
Forty-Two is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2006, 04:50 PM   #12
eri
Critical Thinker

Oh, I thought this thread was about Beck. My bad.

But I don't regret reading it.
Old 11th July 2006, 04:55 PM   #13
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

We'll done. And I'm not talking about my steak. I like that rare. No new age anything about that. Just lots of artery chocking...

You know what? This isn't about my steak.

Carry on.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2006, 04:56 PM   #14
Pardalis
Banned

Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Nice

One slight correction I'd make though:

To my understanding, string theory is more involved with multi-dimensional vibrations as an explanation for various base properties of particles. But QM may get into this too, IANAE
I definately heard harp strings at every "New Age" line.

ETA: very funny Doc!
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2006, 07:41 PM   #15
Yahzi
Master Poster

Yes, kudos. And the woos say we have no appreciation of aesthetics...
Yahzi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2006, 10:27 AM   #16
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

That's a keeper, Doc. You are adequate beyond your years (whatever that means).

There is a cult of ignorance . . . nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. -- Isaac Asimov
Psi Baba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2006, 06:13 AM   #17
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Yeah, I've snurched it too. Well done.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2006, 08:58 AM   #18
elaine
Killer Squirrel Killer

Bravo!
elaine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2006, 09:59 AM   #19
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Dr. Adequate, I think I'll show be showing my Visionary, Spiritual Translator beauty this thread first and immediately before I show her the one concerning her. Great stuff.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2006, 06:12 PM   #20
Smart_Cookie
Muse

Agreed. Saved and link saved, because even though I don't have a blog (yet), it will be one of the first things to go on there.

Beautiful, Dr. A.
Old 18th July 2006, 09:31 AM   #21
JLam
Proud Skepkid Parent

I just saw this. Wow.

Someone tell fowlsound that this is an example of good writing. That boy could use some lessons.

"what's dicksing? my dicksionary have no word for that" - Pillory
JLam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2006, 10:19 AM   #22
DreadNiK
A typical atypical

Excellent stuff. To be honest, I was hoping for a better punchline, but purely on the grounds that it was so good right from the start that finishing strong would have entailed some sort of paranormal intervention.

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
DreadNiK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2006, 10:42 AM   #23
Niki
New Blood

I'm going to post this to my blog, hoping for permission to come.
Niki is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2006, 11:02 AM   #24
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by JLam View Post
I just saw this. Wow.
I'm actually a little sad for the other entries in the Language Award this month.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2006, 11:04 AM   #25
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
I'm actually a little sad for the other entries in the Language Award this month.
I still think we should have too language awards, one just to decide which of Dr.A's posts is best in any given month, and another one, from which the good doctor's posts are excluded, just to give the rest of the forum a chance.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2006, 04:06 AM   #26
Yelper
Student

Originally Posted by Dr Adequate View Post
New Age: By Little Green Men! Wouldn't it be wonderful if ancient civilizations had discovered a mysterious occult key to the workings of the Universe, the knowlege of which has been handed down from generation to generation by a small, shy, uncommunicative sect?

Science: Mathematicians?

Love it!
Old 20th July 2006, 04:26 AM   #27
Sir Arthur Mortal Coyle
Thinker

Great stuff, printed out for posterity, and Woo amunition.
Sir Arthur Mortal Coyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2006, 08:01 PM   #28
SquishyDave
Graduate Poster

In terms of the email thing, I have emailed this to quite a few people, with a nice "By Dr Adequate" and a link to this thread at the bottom.

Maybe with the whole 7 degrees thing a few of you will get it in your inbox.
SquishyDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2006, 06:13 AM   #29
Hawk one
Emperor of the Internet

OK, also spreading it in a couple of Norwegian communities I'm part of. I expect that people in those communities can at least read English, so I haven't translated it. Of course, if you think a translation can make it reach even more people, just give me the word.

If only health care was like video games. Then the ones who could pay for it would get it, and the ones who couldn't would die, like nature intended for people without money. A perfect system, right? RIGHT?
Hawk one is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2006, 09:53 AM   #30
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

Spreading the word here in Africa, with kudos to Dr. A., of course, as per the Squishy One..

Your 15 Minutes Of Fame starts now!

*looks at post time*

Oh, wait...
Old 16th August 2006, 11:09 AM   #31
Dustin Kesselberg
Illuminator

Who said Ephedra could cure diseases?
Dustin Kesselberg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2006, 02:20 PM   #32
Dr Adequate
Banned

The people selling it.
Old 16th August 2006, 02:24 PM   #33
elaine
Killer Squirrel Killer

Originally Posted by SquishyDave View Post
In terms of the email thing, I have emailed this to quite a few people, with a nice "By Dr Adequate" and a link to this thread at the bottom.

Maybe with the whole 7 degrees thing a few of you will get it in your inbox.
I have, too.
elaine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal