ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laws , disease , white , calls , mugabe

Old 24th July 2006, 07:01 PM   #1
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Zimbawe's Mugabe calls homosexality a "white disease." New anti-gay laws started

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon06/07/071706zimbabwe.htm

Quote:
(Harare) Zimbabwe strongman Robert Mugabe's government has made it a criminal offense for two people of the same sex to hold hands, hug, or kiss.

The "sexual deviancy" law is one of 15 additions to Zimbabwe's criminal code quietly passed in Parliament last week.

The sections involving gays and lesbians are part of an overhaul of the sodomy laws. Until now laws against sodomy were limited to sexual activity.

The revised law now states that sodomy is any "act involving contact between two males that would be regarded by a reasonable person as an indecent act".

Mugabe has a long history of homophobia. He regularly refers to gays and people he suspects to be gay as "less than pigs and dogs".

Earlier this year the 82 year old went on a tirade calling homosexuality "a white disease".

"Leave whites to do that," he declared.

Mugabe told the cheering throng that same-sex marriage is a threat to mankind and condemned churches that bless gay unions.

[more]
Sad.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2006, 02:33 AM   #2
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Although this is very sad indeed, I think that this is one of Comrade Bob's less offensive policies.

By all means lets ensure that gay rights are maintained in Zim, but let's also try and get a change of government so that the economy can get off its knees.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2006, 02:48 AM   #3
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Although this is very sad indeed, I think that this is one of Comrade Bob's less offensive policies.
He does seem rather obsessed by homosexuality though...

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2006, 02:51 AM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Wasn't there an ancient civilization in that area that vanished overnight, leaving no traces behind except the walls that surrounded their towns? I'm betting the same will happen to modern Zimbabwe. Despite their efforts to fight witchcraft.
Old 25th July 2006, 02:54 AM   #5
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
He does seem rather obsessed by homosexuality though...
Given that I expect that there are relatively few openly gay people in Zim it makes for a good group to demonise. I don't envisage much in the way of protest marches.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2006, 02:54 AM   #6
HarryKeogh

Well, guess me and my boyfriend will be cancelling our trip to Zimbabwe and will be going to Mississippi instead.
HarryKeogh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2006, 04:38 AM   #7
BPSCG
Penultimate Amazing

He's right, it is disgusting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arafat.jpg (3.5 KB, 78 views)
BPSCG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2006, 06:42 AM   #8
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

By all means lets ensure that gay rights are maintained in Zim, but let's also try and get a change of government so that the economy can get off its knees.
You are correct. I consider it even sadder that the actions in the opening post are not even in the top 6 worse things that he has done.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Such a ruling may tear families apart...A mother not allowed to hug her female children? Terrible to taint a mother-son embrace by prohibiting same-sex contact.

Affection isn't sex!
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2006, 05:08 PM   #10
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

When is he going to die?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics