ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Old 4th October 2013, 11:08 PM   #2001
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Ketyk View Post
I tend to show up at this site rarely, but try to help newcomers. I wish you well.
Okay, thanks. Aren't you interested in comparing the photo of the dragonfly clasper with the mystery horseshoe-shaped snow impressions? I'd appreciate your opinion.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2013, 11:12 PM   #2002
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
Thanks, ...
...Here's the info:...
Puzzlebox Orbit
This one?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9S0fTOVug4
Ketyk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2013, 11:21 PM   #2003
Alan Lowey
Muse

[quote=Ketyk;9535437]This one?: Yep, that's it!

I could devise an experiment whereby an individual in a closed room has a one way mirror into it. When James Randi gives the signal, I turn to look through the one way mirror. The person inside is sitting, looking away from me and is instructed to indicate silently via a button when he/she feels that they are being 'watched from behind'. The volunteers would have to be sensitive psychic types, selected for the test.

Do you think this kind of set-up fulfills the criteria?
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2013, 11:25 PM   #2004
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

This thread tends to be for newcomers, so I will follow your previously posted thread. Thanks though. I hope you stay.
Ketyk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2013, 11:29 PM   #2005
Alan Lowey
Muse

Thanks Ketyk. Much appreciated.
Old 5th October 2013, 12:47 AM   #2006
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
I could devise an experiment whereby an individual in a closed room has a one way mirror into it. When James Randi gives the signal, I turn to look through the one way mirror. The person inside is sitting, looking away from me and is instructed to indicate silently via a button when he/she feels that they are being 'watched from behind'. The volunteers would have to be sensitive psychic types, selected for the test.

Do you think this kind of set-up fulfills the criteria?
You'd need to establish a baseline of how often someone would press the button at the right time by chance, set a success criteria that was significantly greater than that, and show that you could consistently exceed that criteria, I'd also be curious as to how you would go about identifying "sensitive psychic types". But yes, this could be the basis of an acceptable test protocol. This isn't the right thread for this discussion, but by all means start one.

And welcome to the forum.
Old 5th October 2013, 03:07 AM   #2007
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You'd need to establish a baseline of how often someone would press the button at the right time by chance, set a success criteria that was significantly greater than that, and show that you could consistently exceed that criteria, I'd also be curious as to how you would go about identifying "sensitive psychic types". But yes, this could be the basis of an acceptable test protocol. This isn't the right thread for this discussion, but by all means start one.

And welcome to the forum.
Okay thanks for the input and welcome
Old 6th October 2013, 06:21 PM   #2008
Femke
Goddess of the Glowing Sunsets

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Femke
[...]
But then we started to swap hamster recipes and we spiralled out of control. So now we just stand at the door and greet new members in, like semi-civilised people.
FTFY, Femke.
Speak for yourself, Sir.
I was only referring to greeting them in, at the door. What happens to them once they finally jump in, is out of my control.
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 11:38 PM   #2009
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

I unsubscribed from this thread some weeks ago, as I was busy taking advantage of some of the surgical skills available nowadays, but I've read every post here for at least six years, so back to subscribing!

I wish I could encourage some of the extremely woo posters on GHMB to join here and be prepared to read some rational, scientific, educational responses to their posts about mysterious, ancient, super-intelligent civilisations.

I think I'm lucky always to have been naturally sceptical, so that I was never drawn in to the woo stuff I've read since I was a child, starting with Anglican belief of course, then astrology and palmistry. I always looked for the counter arguments, but didn't find them when I was young.
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 05:49 PM   #2010
Femke

Hi Susan,

Welcome back in. I hope the surgical skills brought you what you aimed for.
Epiphanette (a very small epiphany): that kind of tingly, excited feeling of realizing that you were wrong, and that you have to adjust your world view accordingly. - With thanks to Weak Kitten and Blue Sock Monkey.

I am 100% confident all professional psychics and mediums are frauds. The rest might be sincere but are still deluded.
Femke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2013, 05:56 PM   #2011
Lanfear
Scholar

Hello

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hi.

So...

Hi!
Lanfear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 12:04 PM   #2012
Kathie Bondar
Scholar

Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post

So...

Hi!
Hi! What turns you on the most?
Kathie Bondar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 11:01 PM   #2013
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post

So...

Hi!
Don't answer Kathie, Lanfear. Welcome to the forum. Jump in wherever you feel comfortable, but I recommend the Community and Humor forums to get your feet wet and your post count up.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 13th October 2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Thypo
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 01:51 AM   #2014
JamesXXVI
Thinker

Hi all,

New to the forum and looking forward to some stimulating discussions.
JamesXXVI is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 04:32 AM   #2015
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Kathie Bondar View Post
Hi! What turns you on the most?
Well, my name is Bambi and I'm new here. I like long walks on the beaches and holding hands in the moonlight and candlelight dinners and with the help of my spirit guide from the planet Fleebus, I'm writing a history of the fourth interplanetary war when Mars turned itself into an arid red wasteland.

Could you be my soulmate? Please say yes.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 06:39 AM   #2016
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Well, my name is Bambi and I'm new here. I like long walks on the beaches and holding hands in the moonlight and candlelight dinners and with the help of my spirit guide from the planet Fleebus, I'm writing a history of the fourth interplanetary war when Mars turned itself into an arid red wasteland.

Don't forget world peace.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 07:36 AM   #2017
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

Oh, and world peace.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 03:30 PM   #2018
Ampulla of Vater
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JamesXXVI View Post
Hi all,

New to the forum and looking forward to some stimulating discussions.
Hi James!

Welcome to JREF! I can assure you some of the discussions on this forum are quite stimulating. Poke around and read some of the threads; some of them are amazingly informative too. Glad to have you here!
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:33 PM   #2019
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We look forward to you sharing your observations, ExoSkeptic. I assume you'll do this via direct neural interface.
Old 26th October 2013, 01:01 AM   #2020
fnarrr
New Blood

Another newbie stopping by to say hi.
Arrived here via seeing odd names such as "joe of the family bloggs" "joe:bloggs" "Master bloggs" and best of the lot "I am the agent for the fictional strawman that was created with the name Joe Bloggs" on the whatdotheyknow freedom of information website. From there to google,to Icke, thence to GOODF and finally here where no FMOTler dare to tread.
fnarrr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2013, 09:55 AM   #2021
Fellow Traveler
Master Poster

I have no great wit but hesitantly admit of advanced years and I find this forum is a terrific way to keep my mind active. My mom died of alzheimer's in spite of being very smart and active. I hope medical science will make strides in this terrifying area. To add to my likely snore effect on young bright people I am also a retired Graduate Engineer and our whole practice was involved with materials and numerical answers; no human contact. But I promise to not break into descriptions of how to make good concrete. I'll leave that boredom to the Science Channel. Thanks if you read it thru

Last edited by Fellow Traveler; 29th October 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Fellow Traveler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2013, 03:14 PM   #2022
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
I have no great wit but hesitantly admit of advanced years and I find this forum is a terrific way to keep my mind active. My mom died of alzheimer's in spite of being very smart and active. I hope medical science will make strides in this terrifying area. To add to my likely snore effect on young bright people I am also a retired Graduate Engineer and our whole practice was involved with materials and numerical answers; no human contact. But I promise to not break into descriptions of how to make good concrete. I'll leave that boredom to the Science Channel. Thanks if you read it thru

Welcome Fellow Traveler, sorry to hear of your moms passing. As a recovering Mechanical Engineer myself I can only say take it one day at a time and that some people (even young bright ones) could use a good nap from time to time.

Welcome everyone.
Old 31st October 2013, 04:41 AM   #2023
Fellow Traveler
Master Poster

"The Man" you seem like the type I'd welcome to post on my Thread called "Doggerel Challenge". Sense of humor and all that. I got the idea for this from the great one started called " Limerick Challenge". Those are soooooo funny but I think there is a need for the works of free form. JREF is a vital experience for me.
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:40 AM   #2024
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
"The Man" you seem like the type I'd welcome to post on my Thread called "Doggerel Challenge". Sense of humor and all that. I got the idea for this from the great one started called " Limerick Challenge". Those are soooooo funny but I think there is a need for the works of free form. JREF is a vital experience for me.

Ok, I'll have to give that thread a gander when I get a chance.

ETA:

Linky

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...71#post9592871

Last edited by The Man; 2nd November 2013 at 10:42 AM.
The Man is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2013, 06:49 AM   #2025
slickbcfc
New Blood

Hey guys,

New boy here, hope to have some good discussion with you all soon.
slickbcfc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2013, 01:08 PM   #2026
wrs
Graduate Poster

Some background on me

I think I used to have an ID here but it may have been removed due to lack of use. Anyway, I re-registered and still was able to get wrs so maybe not.

I am 57 and educated as an Engineer and Computer Scientist. My degrees are BA 1979 Major CS, BSEE 1981, MS Eng 1990. The MS Eng was from the EE dept in the area of Systems and Signals. My Thesis was on Sigma-Delta modulation. The institution was University of Texas at Austin and I still live in Austin.

I ran a successful software development business starting in 1993 and finishing in 2010 after working in the high tech business here in Austin for other employers for 13 years.

For a long time I was a born again christian and it helped me change things about me that I didn't think I could. However, from the start I could see things in it that didn't make sense and found that it was extremely intolerant of questions. Not unlike the catholic environment I was raised in. I was agnostic from the time I was 16 to the time I was 25. I spent the time from 25 to 50 in the christian mode but less so the last 7 years or so. I became completely fed up with the whole thing in 2006 and decided on Jan 1 2006 never to set foot in a church again and I have held to that. I am not sure what I am anymore but I am not religious.

In the fall of 2006 I was diagnosed with stage 3b colorectal cancer and given a 45% chance to live 18 months. I have five kids and at the time, three still lived at home. They are now 33, 31, 25, 23 and 19. The last one just started university this fall. I decided that I wouldn't pray for healing nor would I consider that god was punishing me for not going to church. That was a good start. I also decided that I would give myself the best chance of living that I could but that if I died, well then that was the way it was supposed to be.

Ultimately, I have beat the cancer and I have beaten the need for a god or savior in my life. I am however still looking for the meaning and purpose for life because I didn't find it in any of my other pursuits, including education, family and business and certainly not in religion. I don't know that I will find it on the internet but I certainly can find other views on that topic from other people. I also just like discussing things and there is plenty of that here.

Ergo, here I am.
wrs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2013, 01:18 PM   #2027
Peter May
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by slickbcfc View Post
Hey guys,

New boy here, hope to have some good discussion with you all soon.
A warm welcome to the JREF, with just one reservation, don't mention Aulis Online.
Peter May is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2013, 07:59 AM   #2028
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by wrs View Post
I think I used to have an ID here but it may have been removed due to lack of use. Anyway, I re-registered and still was able to get wrs so maybe not.

I am 57 and educated as an Engineer and Computer Scientist. My degrees are BA 1979 Major CS, BSEE 1981, MS Eng 1990. The MS Eng was from the EE dept in the area of Systems and Signals. My Thesis was on Sigma-Delta modulation. The institution was University of Texas at Austin and I still live in Austin.

I ran a successful software development business starting in 1993 and finishing in 2010 after working in the high tech business here in Austin for other employers for 13 years.

For a long time I was a born again christian and it helped me change things about me that I didn't think I could. However, from the start I could see things in it that didn't make sense and found that it was extremely intolerant of questions. Not unlike the catholic environment I was raised in. I was agnostic from the time I was 16 to the time I was 25. I spent the time from 25 to 50 in the christian mode but less so the last 7 years or so. I became completely fed up with the whole thing in 2006 and decided on Jan 1 2006 never to set foot in a church again and I have held to that. I am not sure what I am anymore but I am not religious.

In the fall of 2006 I was diagnosed with stage 3b colorectal cancer and given a 45% chance to live 18 months. I have five kids and at the time, three still lived at home. They are now 33, 31, 25, 23 and 19. The last one just started university this fall. I decided that I wouldn't pray for healing nor would I consider that god was punishing me for not going to church. That was a good start. I also decided that I would give myself the best chance of living that I could but that if I died, well then that was the way it was supposed to be.

Ultimately, I have beat the cancer and I have beaten the need for a god or savior in my life. I am however still looking for the meaning and purpose for life because I didn't find it in any of my other pursuits, including education, family and business and certainly not in religion. I don't know that I will find it on the internet but I certainly can find other views on that topic from other people. I also just like discussing things and there is plenty of that here.

Ergo, here I am.
Well, welcome WRS (or welcome back if you used to be a member*).

I think there are a lot of us still looking for that "one thing" that explains it all or glues it altogether for us. I personally don't think there is any such thing, but I think the quest is a lot of what life is about. So we talk about it and argue about it. We learn some stuff and we rethink some old stuff that we thought we had already learned. I believe you'll find some interesting conversations in the Religion and Philosophy sub-forum. I'm sort of a lackadaisical atheist and don't give much thought to it, so I stay clear of that area for the most part, other than to read occasionally, but it's quite popular with a number of folk who have many of the same concerns you do.

Enjoy your stay. Grab a brew from the fridge and make yourself at home.

*If you are not sure whether you were previously a member, be aware that they don't delete inactive accounts, so you might want to PM (private message) "DARAT" or "Lisa Simpson" and ask them to check against your IP address for another member name. Otherwise you might get inadvertently tagged as a sock puppet. It's fixable if that happens but no doubt a pain in the butt you don't want to be dealing with later.

Old 6th November 2013, 05:17 AM   #2029
andreajo
Critical Thinker

I have been reading a few of the forum topics for a while, and have really enjoyed the level of debate. I finally got up the courage to register and make a first post.
andreajo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2013, 07:05 PM   #2030
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

To all of the recent newcomers:

LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2013, 07:21 AM   #2031
Sam H
Student

I am delighted to be part of the JREF community

Hello,

I am a physics teacher with a passionate interest in scientific literacy. I believe that skepticism can greatly help fight scientific illiteracy (I show a movie about Santa Claus in my classes in which, because of the law of energy conservation, he is forced to blow up houses as he lands on them with an explosion power exceeding those of the Little Boy and the Fat Man combined!), but there is another challenge which is usually gone unnoticed or de-emphasized, and that is the blows to science that are coming from within the scientific community.

I hope to be able to contribute to the forum by opening up a discussion on why scientists become the worst enemies of science.

Thanks for having me.

Sam
Sam H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2013, 02:29 PM   #2032
Femke

Hi Sam H,

Great to have you aboard. With credentials like those you will fit right in, I guess. I have similar peeves about starships whooshing by in mid vacuum, derailed train carriages that travel faster on their sides than on the track, and just about any other film scene Mythbusters blow holes in.

Old 11th November 2013, 02:24 AM   #2033
bonncaruso1
Scholar

Ergo, here I am.

Your story moved me, I am truly heartened to hear that you beat the cancer. I am very new to jref and have not posted all that much myself, being professionally all tied up at the moment (no, I don't do S&M ), but I hope you will enjoy your time here.
Old 11th November 2013, 08:11 AM   #2034
dgilman
New Blood

@ wrs Thinker

Enjoyed reading that. I too started out as a doubter because of the self-contradictions I heard in church. One difference with me though is that I concluded that the illogical nonsense being taught in church didn't mean that there is no god; after all, it could also mean that one exists but nobody is worshiping him. My questioning the contradictions make me appear blasphemous to them or like I had no faith at all. Anyway, I couldn't worship the vengeful, pedantic bully they were describing and abandoned all churches also. If that one was the real god, I'd gladly march into hell cursing him for all eternity. Nevertheless I did not abandon my investigation into whether or not a god exists. I continued reading the beliefs of various religions and their books.

Interestingly, the one described in the bible does not resemble the one being described in the churches; that one is actually very nice. What about all that violence in the bible? The only ones punished for not worshiping him were those who broke their promise to worship him. The non- worshipers killed were those who were grossly cruel or who endangered his worshipers. Everybody else could do as they pleased. The "foreign wives" that the Hebrews married carried on their pagan worship right there in Jerusalem with impunity. The Moabites were grossly immoral, but the Israelites were told to leave them alone (Deuteronomy 2:8) If you check archaeological records on the Canaanites, you will see that they were an extremely cruel people.

Also, belief in God should not result in a closed mind. If life arose spontaneously, that does not prove that no god exists, also, the evolution theory does not exclude the possibility of a god, however an atheist must be closed-minded on these theories and hypotheses. My readings show that it is unreasonable to believe that life arose spontaneously. The current scientific evidence indicates that it did not. 5 components of RNA and DNA were either missing or in insufficient quantities, the Miller-Urey experiments produced only 10 of the twenty amino acids needed yet almost as soon as this planet got an ocean, it was teeming with cyanobacteria.

So forget looking for God in any church. Try to find the persons worshiping the one actually described in the bible.

(Oh Oh, I'm in trouble now :-D)
dgilman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2013, 06:56 PM   #2035
Kathie Bondar
Scholar

Ergo, here I am.
When some involuntary thoughts began happening to me (telepathiy), I was sort of insulted that someone else can actually talk to me through my own brain. I know, schizopheric, paranoid, but I was neither, the involuntary thoughts had nothing threatening about them. I asked the obvious, who is speaking to me? The answer was: it is your god. I was thinking, what nonsense, this is the 20th century, (1976) gods and religion are passe, at least for me. Since the stuff kept coming, I just jotted them down, although did not know why, and in 2010 published it. By goly, it was god, but he is different from what we believe he might be. Where is he? Not on Earth, certainly, so where else would he be? Is there another form of existence? And so I found that indeed there is another form of existence, the one we came from and birth and will return to after dying here. So, there must be two bodies... Well, here we are talking reincarnation and all this started out by me having invuluntary thoughts while walking on the street.
Kathie Bondar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2013, 11:48 PM   #2036
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by dgilman View Post
@ wrs Thinker

Enjoyed reading that. I too started out as a doubter because of the self-contradictions I heard in church. One difference with me though is that I concluded that the illogical nonsense being taught in church didn't mean that there is no god; after all, it could also mean that one exists but nobody is worshiping him. My questioning the contradictions make me appear blasphemous to them or like I had no faith at all. Anyway, I couldn't worship the vengeful, pedantic bully they were describing and abandoned all churches also. If that one was the real god, I'd gladly march into hell cursing him for all eternity. Nevertheless I did not abandon my investigation into whether or not a god exists. I continued reading the beliefs of various religions and their books.

Interestingly, the one described in the bible does not resemble the one being described in the churches; that one is actually very nice. What about all that violence in the bible? The only ones punished for not worshiping him were those who broke their promise to worship him. The non- worshipers killed were those who were grossly cruel or who endangered his worshipers. Everybody else could do as they pleased. The "foreign wives" that the Hebrews married carried on their pagan worship right there in Jerusalem with impunity. The Moabites were grossly immoral, but the Israelites were told to leave them alone (Deuteronomy 2:8) If you check archaeological records on the Canaanites, you will see that they were an extremely cruel people.

Also, belief in God should not result in a closed mind. If life arose spontaneously, that does not prove that no god exists, also, the evolution theory does not exclude the possibility of a god, however an atheist must be closed-minded on these theories and hypotheses. My readings show that it is unreasonable to believe that life arose spontaneously. The current scientific evidence indicates that it did not. 5 components of RNA and DNA were either missing or in insufficient quantities, the Miller-Urey experiments produced only 10 of the twenty amino acids needed yet almost as soon as this planet got an ocean, it was teeming with cyanobacteria.

So forget looking for God in any church. Try to find the persons worshiping the one actually described in the bible.

(Oh Oh, I'm in trouble now :-D)
Originally Posted by Kathie Bondar View Post
When some involuntary thoughts began happening to me (telepathiy), I was sort of insulted that someone else can actually talk to me through my own brain. I know, schizopheric, paranoid, but I was neither, the involuntary thoughts had nothing threatening about them. I asked the obvious, who is speaking to me? The answer was: it is your god. I was thinking, what nonsense, this is the 20th century, (1976) gods and religion are passe, at least for me. Since the stuff kept coming, I just jotted them down, although did not know why, and in 2010 published it. By goly, it was god, but he is different from what we believe he might be. Where is he? Not on Earth, certainly, so where else would he be? Is there another form of existence? And so I found that indeed there is another form of existence, the one we came from and birth and will return to after dying here. So, there must be two bodies... Well, here we are talking reincarnation and all this started out by me having invuluntary thoughts while walking on the street.
Now, now, you lot! Why don't you two start a thread and battle over the Great Hairy Thunderer of the OT vs the Cosmic Muffin Astral Plane Wonderment of the New Age. Leave the new guy alone. He's having himself a ball hanging out in Sciencey threads and has even met up with Anders (more excitement than most mere mortals can stand).

I said I was a lackadaisical atheist, not a sleeping one. You give a rather incorrect impression of these forums coming into the Welcome Thread and proselytizing your conflicting beliefs. You're quite welcome to do so (hence the title "Welcome!", I guess) but like the rest of the boards, expect to have your beliefs challenged and countered. Consider this as one such message. I don't pretend to speak for the management nor the membership, but it's no secret that the majority of the members of these forums are one form or another of atheist or agnostic.

Old 12th November 2013, 01:03 AM   #2037
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

I was beginning to wonder if I'd clicked on the wrong forum!!
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2013, 10:51 AM   #2038
Cublovatts
New Blood

Hi,

I'm 16, in the UK and hoping to get involved in discussion to learn and talk about ideas I've had that are hard to bring up in everyday conversation. Hoping this is the community that can help.
Cublovatts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2013, 01:34 PM   #2039
Femke

Hi Cublovatts,

Great to have real young blood coming to our little neck of the woods! Just hop right in, take some refreshment from the fridge, settle in and click on a nice long thread to get a feel of this place.
Don't feel afraid to participate when you feel like it. There is no better way to get involved in discussions and learn, than to get involved.

Femke

Old 12th November 2013, 11:34 PM   #2040
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Welcome, everyone!

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!