ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Latest Commentary Issues

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags free energy

Old 23rd August 2007, 05:48 AM   #601
calebprime
Somewhat Elitist Parasite

Originally Posted by hdeasy View Post
So – some have visited the public forum. I am a member of the SPDC (private – NDA needed) and it is much more orderly there, as we have more scientists etc. Many skeptics did a u-turn in there as we have been shown a video of a famous inventor enthusing over the ‘miracle that is behind the technology’.

Then we learned the name of a physicist from an old uni who confirmed the effect but can’t go public as Steorn doesn’t want that yet. The story around that is very believable for me.

Finally, the mechanism has been explained – very simple, and I wrote a Fortran sim to convince myself of it. It actually works – as long as a stator magnet is not depleted, and it doesn’t look like it would be – test plots showing this to be the case have been presented by Steorn and some forum members have come close to reproducing the setup – one of them says he had an 8 hour run before something loosened up. Now none of this is substitute for the 22 Jury members and their report – but it’s pretty damn good.

Coming soon for the cognoscenti 7 of us were selected to test the tech themselves.. That activity will start in a few weeks time.

So – it’s all go: no sign of closing up shop after the London debacle.

I, for one, eagerly await the wonderful news.

( Sung to the tune of the old Time jingle: "Time flies, and you are there!" )
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2007, 06:00 AM   #602
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah.
BillyJoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:04 AM   #603
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Oh My Dawg! The eight hour story predates the disaster-at-the-gallery! And it was all that was ever leaked out of the sooper sekret klub. Now there's a famous scientist on a video. Another video????

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 23rd August 2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Interior Decorating. This post needed spiders!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:13 AM   #604
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Many skeptics did a u-turn in there as we have been shown a video of a famous inventor enthusing over the ‘miracle that is behind the technology’.

Then we learned the name of a physicist from an old uni who confirmed the effect but can’t go public as Steorn doesn’t want that yet. The story around that is very believable for me.

Steorn's original contention appeared to be that they had to follow the course they did (hiring a PR firm, advertising in the Economist for "jurors" etc.) because while they had found scientists who confirmed that the device worked, none of them was prepared to go on the record and say so. As they put it on their website:
Quote:
Those who were prepared to complete testing have all confirmed our claims; however none will publicly go on record.

In early 2006 Steorn decided to seek validation from the scientific community in a more public forum, and as a result have published the challenge in The Economist.

Now it seems that they do have scientists who are prepared to say it works, but it is Steorn who don't want this made public. Can you explain "the story around that" or is it covered by the NDA as well?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:37 AM   #605
hdeasy
New Blood

@Mojo: We were so concerned with the 1 named scientist that I can't recall queries as to why they were now forbidden and your implied inconsistency.
hdeasy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:16 AM   #606
strathmeyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Is Steorn going to quietly close up shop, grab what's left of the money, and disappear?
And does this answer Troll Chi's original question?
strathmeyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2007, 08:34 AM   #607
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Talking

So – some have visited the public forum. I am a member of the SPDC (private – NDA needed) and it is much more orderly there, as we have more scientists etc. Many skeptics did a u-turn in there as we have been shown a video of a famous inventor enthusing over the ‘miracle that is behind the technology’.

Finally, the mechanism has been explained – very simple, and I wrote a Fortran sim to convince myself of it. It actually works – as long as a stator magnet is not depleted, and it doesn’t look like it would be – test plots showing this to be the case have been presented by Steorn and some forum members have come close to reproducing the setup – one of them says he had an 8 hour run before something loosened up. Now none of this is substitute for the 22 Jury members and their report – but it’s pretty damn good.

Coming soon for the cognoscenti 7 of us were selected to test the tech themselves.. That activity will start in a few weeks time.

So – it’s all go: no sign of closing up shop after the London debacle.
Ha, Hdeasy, I see you made it to this forum.

Funny how you posted this new here and not on the official forum from Steorn. Funny also how your psot is also actually 100% devoid of information.
I can substitute "hdeasy said" to "sean said" and we are abck to sqaure one.

How about the following :
* name the skeptic which were "turned" and "convinced" , for example what about enginerd ? Then we can go together on the original forum and ask them what they think about a U-turn ? And we can also check if they were REALLY skeptic or jsut used the definition without the qualification.
* Show us your fortran source code. I am used to the simulation in fortran, this was my main job while I was working on quantum mechanic. Usually HP-Fortran on 4/8 processors. I know from experience that you can fall in a lot of pitfall. So ... how about showing us the source code ? And the model you used (equation / Schemas) ?
* how about naming this scientific/inventor so that we contact him independently ?

But let me guess... You won't be able to do any of this, right ?
Aepervius is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 07:24 AM   #608
Snadert
Student

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
About the bearings....

There are duplicate threads on this topic going, and I related this theory that I stole from a guy over on the Steorn forum. (No one follows links around, so I'll repeat it.)

Sean said that the bearings were extremely sensitive because they got them from watch/clock makers. So it wasn't that they were shoddy Chinese parts as several Steornites have said, it was that their tolerance was so minute. The bearings in a watch or clock are designed to handle very sensitive and well-balanced mechanisms, and to create as little friction or drag as possible. This being why a grandfather clock can run for thirty days or more.
Watches normally have ruby bearings, due to the fact that steel on glass or glasslike substances causes almost no friction. I have some magnetic rotors running on a bearing ball on top of a (not so smooth) glass bowl and you'll be amazed how long these things run, and how little energy is used.

Last edited by Snadert; 30th August 2007 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Typo
Snadert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2007, 09:09 AM   #609
Bobbotov
New Blood

The bearing excuse is so patently absurd. Steorn had four years to prepare for this demonstration and this is the excuse they give as to why it failed?

If these guys are really savvy engineers and could read the specifications of the bearings being used you would think that the issue over environmental tolerance would have come up in the normal testing cycles they had supposedly done. Stearn has alluded to doing extensive testing with a technology that is proven to work every time and yet when they show it for the first time in the world premiere all it shows is that they didn't do their homework. And people have faith in this company and believe their claims?

I pity the human race.
Bobbotov is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2007, 08:51 AM   #610
Michael C
Graduate Poster

Still no free energy from Steorn, but they seem to have money to spare: they're sponsoring the next exhibition at Kinetica, "In Flux": http://freeenergytracker.blogspot.co...9/in-flux.html
Michael C is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2007, 07:51 AM   #611
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

Any updates from Dublin? Did they break the laws of physics yet?
Old 27th October 2007, 12:06 AM   #612
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

There's an update here, an interview with Sean McCarthy (CEO of Steorn), but no real substance.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2007, 01:07 AM   #613
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
There's an update here, an interview with Sean McCarthy (CEO of Steorn), but no real substance.
Quote:
[...]whether you consider that energy creation or conversion is a matter of semantics.

All this time, all these "engineers", and he still doesn't understand thermodynamics?!
Old 27th October 2007, 03:58 AM   #614
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by volatile View Post

All this time, all these "engineers", and he still doesn't understand thermodynamics?!
Well, I said no real substance, but of course, maybe I'm just an unbeliever. It is of course possible that they have discovered a new principle of physics, the full reply that you quote is:

Quote:
FE Truth: "In your opinion does Orbo create or extract energy?"

Sean: It’s a question of views. I would say that, in the same way as there is a mass/energy equivalent there is also a form of time/energy equivalent and whether you consider that energy creation or conversion is a matter of semantics. The explanation behind Orbo is that ÄT can equal E as simple as that.
Time/energy equivalence, wow!

On the other hand, spot the evasion in the answer to this simple question:
Quote:
FE Truth: How many patents do Steorn hold in relation to Orbo technology?

Sean: In the region of 15 – 20 applications
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2007, 04:28 PM   #615
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

On the other hand there is this seemingly reasonable reply:

Quote:
The internet seems to give people the right to debate things religiously. When you talk about taking on a scientific establishment which is very much how we cast ourselves, we came out fighting so you could say we provoked a response but that having been said we are questioning a fundamental assumption of the world of physics and I think that the world of physics is religious in its attitude to these things and probably rightly so.

"Religious" is perhaps too strong a word though.
BillyJoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2007, 11:36 PM   #616
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Bears repeating:

Still no free energy from Steorn.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2007, 01:35 AM   #617
Snadert
Student

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
Bears repeating:

Still no free energy from Steorn.
Though free publicity flows like a waterfall... Steorn just invented a free publicity machine..
Snadert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2007, 01:48 AM   #618
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Time to return to the starting point:

Originally Posted by T'ai Chi View Post
http://www.randi.org/jr/2006-09/092206bad.html#i6

It sounds like they advertised to get independent scientists (not biased skeptical organizations or personalities) to test their product.
T'ai Chi,

What do you think of the way Steorn has handled all this?

Would you describe it as "scientific"?
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2007, 07:25 AM   #619
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Quote:
FE Truth: How many patents do Steorn hold in relation to Orbo technology?

Sean: In the region of 15 – 20 applications

And yet, I still can't find any except the one to the "low energy magnetic actuator", which they've said isn't a part of their device.....Hmmmmmm......
Old 29th October 2007, 10:28 AM   #620
balrog666
Eigenmode: Cynic

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Have you had any licensing enquiries from interested companies since you went public in August 2006?

I missed this previously ... so, what group of idiots is holding the bag now, how much did they pay, and how much are they paying now just to keep the lights on and the PR/BS going?

Political language… is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. – George Orwell
balrog666 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2007, 12:22 PM   #621
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Was that really a quote from me? The link just goes to my last post.....
Old 31st October 2007, 02:59 PM   #622
balrog666

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Was that really a quote from me? The link just goes to my last post.....
Oops, sorry, that was from the Steorn interview ...

Political language… is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. – George Orwell
balrog666 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 05:15 PM   #623
circuit_bent
Thinker

Another highly disturbing component of the Steorn debacle is that Sean claimed on his website to the believers that he was already in the process of rolling out the technology to impoverished African communities to pump water and power homes etc..

His followers were treating him like a hero. What horrible, cynical manipulation. To garner support for something with fictionalized humanitarian acts.
circuit_bent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 07:25 PM   #624
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by circuit_bent View Post
Another highly disturbing component of the Steorn debacle is that Sean claimed on his website to the believers that he was already in the process of rolling out the technology to impoverished African communities to pump water and power homes etc..

His followers were treating him like a hero. What horrible, cynical manipulation. To garner support for something with fictionalized humanitarian acts.
Well, in all fairness, he hadn't realized that Africa was hot.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2007, 12:06 PM   #625
Michael C
Graduate Poster

Steorn is still managing to convince people to invest considerable sums of money: three private investors have recently injected €1.1 million into the company.
Michael C is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2007, 01:49 PM   #626
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
it had almost €6.4 million in cash on its balance sheet at the end of the year, up from €1.6 million a year earlier. It also had ‘‘short-term investments’’ valued at €1.8million,up from just under €1 million at the end of 2006.

6.4 +1.8 + 1.1 = 9.3 million
They obviously do not need The JREF Million Dollar Prize.

Quote:
‘‘The company is dependent upon the successful outcome of its prototype development to generate future income,” the auditors’ report in the accounts stated.”

They don't need that either.

Last edited by BillyJoe; 2nd December 2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 3rd December 2007, 01:40 AM   #627
Snadert
Student

Sean:"One of our goals is to raise Africa out of poverty; unfortunately the bearings gave away. Our engineers are fixing that. Coffee anyone?"
Old 3rd December 2007, 05:04 AM   #628
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Michael C View Post
Steorn is still managing to convince people to invest considerable sums of money: three private investors have recently injected €1.1 million into the company.

Any sign of the jury's "validation" yet?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2007, 10:54 AM   #629
Snadert
Student

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Any sign of the jury's "validation" yet?
Haven't heard of them since. But, meanwhile in Eire...
Even the Irish president is involved.
Old 4th December 2007, 02:12 PM   #630
balrog666

Originally Posted by Steorn
The company had an accumulated loss of €5.9 million at the end of last year, up from €2.8 million a year earlier, according to accounts filed recently.

Spending €3.1 million per year?! Wow, that failed experiment cost more than we ever knew!

OTOH, how much is the head PR flack/salesman/conman at Steorn making per year?

Old 5th December 2007, 01:19 AM   #631
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Shouldn't we move this thread to AAH?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2008, 01:51 PM   #632
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Any sign of the results of the "validation" that Steorn were expecting by the end of 2007?

Old 1st January 2008, 01:58 PM   #633
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Any sign of the results of the "validation" that Steorn were expecting by the end of 2007?
For large values of "2007".
Old 1st January 2008, 07:01 PM   #634
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

....just another few rocks on the road to success, I'm sure.
Old 19th April 2008, 08:55 AM   #635
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

So... are we at the end of 2007 yet?

Have Steorn quietly gone under, or is there still life in the scam?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Old 19th April 2008, 04:27 PM   #636
balrog666

I have to agree with CFL on this one: "For large values of "2007"."

Old 19th April 2008, 11:49 PM   #637
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Well, they seem to be still alive, but the Spindizzy is moribund. There are no news releases on their website since October (when some dignitary visited them), nothing on the Orbo, and much speculaiton that the "jury" never actually existed in the first place.

Their forum has turned into an altenergy discussion group, with the two most popular threads being "Last Poster Wins" and "Count to a Million".

As long as there's some investment money out there, McCarthy will keep it alive, but the dismal and stupid failure of the Kinetica demo was the last nail in their coffin. (Although, as McCarthy noted, Randi's account of their death is slightly exaggerated.)
Old 20th April 2008, 12:52 AM   #638
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Maybe if you use trivalent logic as Bubblefish wanted, it 2q asohfaaoasg avg ;as dhgftr5QW4 A 4wt3 wap

sorry brain melted...
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2008, 02:01 AM   #639
BillC
Bazooka Joe

The European Patent Office issued them with a patent on 21st February 2008 for a torque measurement device. This is indicative of earlier, rather than recent, activity by Steorn: the patent was applied for in August 2006.
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:13 AM   #640
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
The European Patent Office issued them with a patent on 21st February 2008 for a torque measurement device. This is indicative of earlier, rather than recent, activity by Steorn: the patent was applied for in August 2006.

Actually, that document, WO2008020424 is a published international patent application under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT). It's the first stage to multiple patent applications in several countries, but is still several stages away from being patented anywhere.

I haven't looked at it in any detail, so can't comment on the technology, but I wanted to clarify its status.

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Latest Commentary Issues