ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags conspiracy theory , conspiracy theory forum

Old 15th October 2006, 10:00 PM   #1
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Chipmunk, What the hell have you started?

Conspiracy Theories has its own forum, 343 threads and is easily the most visited forum at JREF.

Good job my friend. I remember when you were trying to get people involved.

Old 15th October 2006, 10:24 PM   #2
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Yep. Bad Chimpunk, naughty Chipmunk.
There are 52 people online in CTs now. We're way ahead of the next most popular - Politics, with 30, then General Skepticism, with 26.
Old 15th October 2006, 10:25 PM   #3
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

Originally Posted by orphia nay View Post
Yep. Bad Chimpunk, naughty Chipmunk.
There are 52 people online in CTs now. We're way ahead of the next most popular - Politics, with 30, then General Skepticism, with 26.
SPLITTERS!
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2006, 10:29 PM   #4
R.Mackey
Philosopher

It's all that delphi_ote character's fault. There's a government infiltrator if I've ever seen one. I kid! I kid!!

I've been around science so long that I always wondered what it would look like to "think differently." The conspiracy adherents have answered that question for me in spectacular fashion. Addressing them has helped me better understand humanity...
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Hahahaha, CptColumbo!!!

Blowing my own trumpet a bit, but the 9/11 CT discussions here might have started when I started this thread on 9 December 2005 in the Politics forum.

Then Year Zero started this thread on 20 December 2005.

But we can definitely blame delphi for infecting the place with Loose Change, and making history.
Old 15th October 2006, 10:52 PM   #6
Zep
Banned

Can I blame Lisa?
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2006, 11:44 PM   #7
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Hahahaha, CptColumbo!!!

Blowing my own trumpet a bit, but the 9/11 CT discussions here might have started when I started this thread on 9 December 2005 in the Politics forum.

Then Year Zero started this thread on 20 December 2005.

But we can definitely blame delphi for infecting the place with Loose Change, and making history.
Cool, all of you deserve credit. My first brush was with the whole thing was from chipmunk but I'm sure he's happy to acknowledge everyone's contribution. I felt bad for bowing out but I see the battle is in the hands of so many stalwarts.

BTW, speaking of conspiracy theories, what the hell is this smiley?
Is it a Gerbil, hamster, bunny, what? And what the hell is on its head?

Carry on. "I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you." --Dr. Rumack
Old 15th October 2006, 11:48 PM   #8
slingblade

Originally Posted by RandFan View Post

It's a smiley based on this image:

slingblade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2006, 11:51 PM   #9
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Randfan, is definitely my fault.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=65740

He's Oolong, the pancake bunny, and meme.
Old 15th October 2006, 11:52 PM   #10
Gilmar
Muse

A bunny with a pancake on its head. See
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolong_(rabbit)
Gilmar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 12:00 AM   #11
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Sick, just sick and twisted I tell ya. I raised bunnies and can say with all sobriety that they are a dignified species and should never, ever have pancakes on their heads.

Oolong Rabit

ETA: Chihuahuas, now that's a different thing altogether. Though I would never eat a chihuahua.

Last edited by RandFan; 16th October 2006 at 12:07 AM.
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 06:01 AM   #12
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Conspiracy Theories has its own forum, 343 threads and is easily the most visited forum at JREF.

Good job my friend. I remember when you were trying to get people involved.

I feel a little bit like the Sorcerer's Apprentice. All I did was stir Delphi's pot a little and WHAM-O! the thing took on a life of its own. Luckily, Gravy and other sorcerers stepped in to help clean up the mess.
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 06:17 AM   #13
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Sick, just sick and twisted I tell ya. I raised bunnies and can say with all sobriety that they are a dignified species and should never, ever have pancakes on their heads.
Of course not. They should be served w/ vegetables and some rice.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 06:35 AM   #14
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Of course not. They should be served w/ vegetables and some rice.
Sometimes there's nothing better than bunny. I'm reminded of a meal in Oklahoma...
Quote:
John Farrow’s ranch, on a hill outside Woodward, is my home for a night. He’s in his mid-sixties, a widower of two years, alone now on the dispirited ranch, surrounded by rusting machinery and half-finished projects. He takes most of his meals at the truck stop on the highway.

“Don’t you ever get lonely on these long, open roads?” John asks.

“No, never,” I say, “but I’m not sure why not.” I don’t ask if he gets lonely.

We sit outside in lawn chairs of tubular aluminum and nylon webbing, a small campfire between us, eating two rabbits John has pulled by the ears from their hutch and butchered. He offers to let me choose my furry victim, but I don’t have the heart, seeing none that look remotely mean enough to deserve the executioner’s hatchet. John sears the rabbit parts in a cast iron Dutch oven placed on the coals, then adds carrots, onions, salt, and pepper, puts the lid on, and slow-cooks them until the meat almost falls from the bones. It is one of the best meals I have ever had, a meal worth a very, very long walk.

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 06:46 AM   #15
kevin
Graduate Poster

I started this thread on 9 December 2005 in the Politics forum.
whatever. I started the whole thing in 1966 when I packed C4 around each piece of rebar going on-site.
kevin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 06:50 AM   #16
Bell
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kevin View Post
whatever. I started the whole thing in 1966 when I packed C4 around each piece of rebar going on-site.
After you stole that idea from a 20 dollar bill. You started nothing!
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 07:08 AM   #17
Hutch
A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers

What makes me happy is that I am seeing a number of folks who came here only for the 9-11 CT posts
beginning to post in Forum Community and elsewhere on the Board (Gravy is a good example), in other words, not forming a little Sub-forum community that they never leave (like a fair number of Poltical posters) but seeing that there is a lot of things happening here with a lot of intelligent and fun people, and joining in.

So if your knowledge of the JREF Forum is this little sub-forum, come on out and visit elsewhere--but beware Politics--that's where the fierce creatures live...
Old 16th October 2006, 07:57 AM   #18
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
What makes me happy is that I am seeing a number of folks who came here only for the 9-11 CT posts
beginning to post in Forum Community and elsewhere on the Board (Gravy is a good example), in other words, not forming a little Sub-forum community that they never leave (like a fair number of Poltical posters) but seeing that there is a lot of things happening here with a lot of intelligent and fun people, and joining in.

So if your knowledge of the JREF Forum is this little sub-forum, come on out and visit elsewhere--but beware Politics--that's where the fierce creatures live...
Point well-taken, Hutch. I came to these forums because of my interest in debunking alt-med stuff like homeopathy. I was a regular reader and occasional poster in other subforums before getting involved in this stuff. As a certified generalist, I don't like spending all my time on one subject. I may take a break from this subforum when I finish my LC Guide update.

Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 09:46 AM   #19
tkingdoll
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post

I second this. Whilst I do sometimes wonder if some of the CT forum posters are aware of the work of the JREF and the skeptical 'movement', or even know/care who Randi is, I think debunking 9/11 CTs is some of the most important work imaginable, whether the debunker calls themselves a 'skeptic' or not. However, when those folk contribute to other sections of the forum as well, it's doubleplusgood!

This forum, it seems, has gained a reputation as the place for 9/11 CT debunkers. I can't think of a more worthwhile subject to apply critical thinking to, and I like to hope Mr Randi is aware of the efforts and proud that is forum is home to such worthwhile fact-finders and publishers of the actual truth (as opposed to Teh Troof).
tkingdoll is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 09:51 AM   #20
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tkingdoll View Post
I second this. Whilst I do sometimes wonder if some of the CT forum posters are aware of the work of the JREF and the skeptical 'movement', or even know/care who Randi is, I think debunking 9/11 CTs is some of the most important work imaginable, whether the debunker calls themselves a 'skeptic' or not. However, when those folk contribute to other sections of the forum as well, it's doubleplusgood!

This forum, it seems, has gained a reputation as the place for 9/11 CT debunkers. I can't think of a more worthwhile subject to apply critical thinking to, and I like to hope Mr Randi is aware of the efforts and proud that is forum is home to such worthwhile fact-finders and publishers of the actual truth (as opposed to Teh Troof).
And once 9/11 CTists have been relegated to the same backwaters areas as moon-hoaxers, we'll turn our attentions to support RLancaster and stopsylviabrowne.com :evil grin:
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 10:56 AM   #21
Arus808
Philosopher

Thread jack a bit:
Its based off a japanese rabbit owned by a photographer:
http://www.fsinet.or.jp/~sokaisha/rabbit/rabbit.htm
The rabbit was called Oolong (he has since passed away) but the owners is now the happy parent of a new rabbit, and training it to do more balancing acts.
An english language page about Oolong: http://www.syberpunk.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=oolong

“Life may begin at 30, but it doesn’t get real interesting until about 150.”
“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”
Arus808 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 12:00 PM   #22
Mercutio
Penultimate Amazing

110 people viewing this area now. Holy moley.
Mercutio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 01:03 PM   #23
Shrinker
Graduate Poster

Boo, what's going on in here? Nobody knows their JREF history - http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=60977

The one productive thing I've done around here and nobody knows it! Not that I've done any actual debunking in here though... except maybe that one time...

Anyway great to see it such a success! Well done debunkers.

Last edited by Shrinker; 16th October 2006 at 01:04 PM. Reason: can't spell or punctuate
Shrinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 01:46 PM   #24
HeyLeroy
Vegan Cannibal

Originally Posted by CptColumbo View Post
SPLITTERS!

I've been trying to keep away from this section. Sure, I've stuck my toe in the waters a few times, but largely I've tried to keep out of the fray.

But last Friday a letter turned up in my local paper (the Windsor Star) where the writer stated "...almost half of America now suspects U.S. government involvement in the 9-11 atrocities." Ugh.

He goes on, "Common sense is prevailing in the perception that three steel and cement towers could collapse in pulverized dust from isolated kerosene fires."

Here's the link to this letter. If you want to respond, the link to "letters to the editor" is way down on the left-hand side.

I plan on setting this idjit straight.

Cheers.
I ♣ my baby Harp Seal.
HeyLeroy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 04:37 PM   #25
stateofgrace

I personally believe that addressing and assaulting not just the theories but the ring leaders who promote these theories is very important.

911 is one of the most important, if not the most important event of this century. It has quite literally shaped the world we live in. It will directly affect the world my children live in. An event of this magnitude deserves respect and importantly understanding.

The promoters of these theories belittle this event; they mock it and bury the truth. The awful truth is far worse than anything that the conspirators could dream up. It is that within this world, and through no fault of our own, we are hated by a small minority of radicalised people. This hatred went unchecked and spilled over on 911 and thousands of innocent people died. This hatred is still there, it is still unchecked and still very real.

Unless we accept, understand and finally address it,it will, in my opinion led to further bloodshed.

Burying ones head in the sand and playing silly games with this event is to simply refuse to believe that we could be viewed as anything other than really great guys and we are in no danger whatsoever. If these conspirators get their way they would kid us all into believing the world really is a safe place and the only enemy we have is oursleves.This is false thinking and is not something I wish my children to believe. I want them to understand that there are differences in cultures and that these differences can be exploited by a small minority to commit dreadful acts. In the same token it has to be explained that cultural differences is not something to be feared but understood.

The fact that this forum is now seen as a direct opponent to these theories and those that promote them is a positive thing in my opinion.

Anyway that’s my pennies worth.
stateofgrace is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 05:00 PM   #26
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
Sometimes there's nothing better than bunny. I'm reminded of a meal in Oklahoma...
I came via a Maddox link to Gravy, to here, and I can only say

Thanks, Gravy, for finding me yet another pack of wasted DNA (Troofers) who "just need killin' " as they say in Texas. That sort of thing is just what this cynical old cuss needed to keep that smile off of his face. It also got me massively educated in building structures, thanks to NIST.

*thinks of J Love Hewitt in racy neglige*

There, all better now.

DR
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 06:42 PM   #27
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

THE BEST smiley ever! Thanks for adding it!
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2006, 06:47 PM   #28
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
THE BEST smiley ever! Thanks for adding it!
Apparently it's orphia nay's fault but I still blame Lisa.
Old 16th October 2006, 08:56 PM   #29
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Yep, always blame Lisa.
I'd seen Oolong somewhere a while ago. MarkyX posted a pic of him here recently, and I came across the smiley last week at Skeptical Community (ceptimus posted it) and just had to share, so I asked for it to be uploaded here.

Originally Posted by Shrinker View Post
Boo, what's going on in here? Nobody knows their JREF history - http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=60977

The one productive thing I've done around here and nobody knows it! Not that I've done any actual debunking in here though... except maybe that one time...
Yes, gammit, don't they know we only do this for the fame and glory! (And government paycheque.)

Don't worry, Shrinker, I also remember you being the creator of:

(not that you've given me mine yet ), and that you did an awesome follow-up post to one of mine at LC that got you banned.

Were you the first from here to get banned? If not, does anyone remember who it was (since we're discussing history here)?

Quote:
Anyway great to see it such a success! Well done debunkers.
Agreed wholeheartedly!
Old 16th October 2006, 09:40 PM   #30
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Were you the first from here to get banned? If not, does anyone remember who it was (since we're discussing history here)?
This is getting silly. I've been doing some searching, and from what I can make out, it was RandFan!(?)

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 16th October 2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added link
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2006, 12:21 AM   #31
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

This is getting silly. I've been doing some searching, and from what I can make out, it was RandFan!(?)

No, I went there to protest Chipmunk's banning. At least I thought he was banned at that time.
Old 17th October 2006, 12:33 AM   #32
Orphia Nay
Tagger

No, I went there to protest Chipmunk's banning. At least I thought he was banned at that time.

???
So you did get banned on or before 3 April 2005(?):
Quote:
. I challenge any of the Loose Brainers to come here and debate the issues. I'd go there to do it but you guys can't handle the heat and you banned me.
That's the first mention (AFAIK) of anyone actually being banned from LC in the Loose Change threads and this sub-forum. I suppose evidence to the contrary could be still in GS&P.

If you're reading this, and you're the bunny (er, not Oolong ) who was banned from LC first, stand up and be counted! Please.
Old 17th October 2006, 08:04 AM   #33
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

???
So you did get banned on or before 3 April 2005(?):

That's the first mention (AFAIK) of anyone actually being banned from LC in the Loose Change threads and this sub-forum. I suppose evidence to the contrary could be still in GS&P.

If you're reading this, and you're the bunny (er, not Oolong ) who was banned from LC first, stand up and be counted! Please.
Before, but I'm quite sure I wasnt the first. I should note that I was reinstated shortly after that.
Old 17th October 2006, 10:48 AM   #34
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Paul Isaac Jr., AKA Sentinel here, was banned early on at LC. That forum has only been around since Feb. of this year or so. I was banned in early April, but several people had been suspended or banned before me.

Old 17th October 2006, 09:00 PM   #35
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
Paul Isaac Jr., AKA Sentinel here, was banned early on at LC. That forum has only been around since Feb. of this year or so. I was banned in early April, but several people had been suspended or banned before me.
Cheers, Randfan and Gravy. Just to clarify, Gravy, are you talking about JREFers being banned? (IIRC Sentinel joined here after being banned at LC.) If you are, do you recall who else from here was banned before you?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories