ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 

Notices


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags evolution , creationists , creationism

Closed Thread
Old 29th October 2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.
 
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 19,060
Annoying creationists

Sometimes these annoying creationists just piss me off:

http://www.evolutionisdead.com/forum...a63c3a63#11670

~~ Paul
__________________
Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ---Susan Ertz

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 12:14 PM   #2
pounce
Scholar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 104
sometimes?

you are more generous than i am.
pounce is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 12:27 PM   #3
LostAngeles
Anti-WM Jihadist
 
LostAngeles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,118
Aww, I thought this was going to be on ways to ignore them and I was going to suggest the archaeological record! Damn it!
__________________
"There is also a likelihood that the settlement will fall between two biomes, potentially hazardous if the player expects a peaceful oceanside meadow, without realizing the ocean is full of amphibious zombie whales." - Dwarf Fortress Wik
LostAngeles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 12:59 PM   #4
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,994
Hi Paul, can you cater to my laziness and briefly describe the 16 binding site arguement they are making?

Are they considering mutations in transcription factors? If you consider these proteins to be sources of mutation, HUGE changes in phenotype can be expected. So, I don't see how punctuated rapid evolution is not explainable at a genetic level.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 01:47 PM   #5
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.
 
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 19,060
That entire thread is a discussion of the simulation of the evolution of genetic binding sites by the Ev program, described here:

http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/paper/ev/

Kleinman is attempting to convince us that Ev demonstrates that there was not enough time for binding sites to develop. Actually, his thesis is that there was not enough time for macroevolution to occur. What that has to do with genetic binding sites I cannot imagine. He claims that various results that we got from running experiments with Ev support his thesis. He throws around numbers like 4^1000.

That's all well and good. He can discuss this if he wants. But I really get annoyed when he starts misrepresenting what I said.

~~ Paul
__________________
Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ---Susan Ertz

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 03:01 PM   #6
joobz
Tergiversator
 
joobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,994
Thanks Paul.
not knowing the generational life span of the first organisms to develop, this is a pretty weak argument. Presumably, a lot of the initial life forming molecules were a series of microenvironment biochemical reactions. In these settings, there would be a ton of binding site type generational experiments that could have occured with unknown kinetics.

We don't know if life started as prions that assembled into viruses that started to incorporate dna... In such a series, DNA would only be selected if it possessed a binding. As such, there wouldn't be a random generation of binding sites.


Oh well. I'll give him this much, It is interesting to think how fast life did progress in relation to the span of the earth.
__________________
What's the best argument for UHC? This argument against UHC.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 03:23 PM   #7
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
Originally Posted by LostAngeles View Post
Aww, I thought this was going to be on ways to ignore them and I was going to suggest the archaeological record! Damn it!
I also hoped it was about ways to annoy creationists. I'll sign up for that, I thought. No such luck.

Creationists are impenetrable, much like Trotskyists and ... lets take a very long list as read.

eta : Catholic apologists are high on that list. I shouldn't let them off without a mention.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150

Last edited by CapelDodger; 29th October 2006 at 03:26 PM.
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 03:38 PM   #8
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
Originally Posted by joobz View Post
... this is a pretty weak argument.
Get outa here! A weak argument from a creationist? Heaven forbid!
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 04:33 PM   #9
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
Originally Posted by joobz View Post
not knowing the generational life span of the first organisms to develop, this is a pretty weak argument. Presumably, a lot of the initial life forming molecules were a series of microenvironment biochemical reactions. In these settings, there would be a ton of binding site type generational experiments that could have occured with unknown kinetics.
This is something creationists/IDists miss. They start from the unlikelihood of life as it is, ignoring the astronomical number of equally unlikely systems that didn't make it but might have. At the base of their thinking, IMO, is the assumption that life was meant to be as it's turned out, specifically with humans as its crowning achievement. From that initial assumption of meaning ID necessarily derives.

Quote:
We don't know if life started as prions that assembled into viruses that started to incorporate dna... In such a series, DNA would only be selected if it possessed a binding. As such, there wouldn't be a random generation of binding sites.
Viruses are actually very advanced parasites, they need cellular mechanisms to expolit. They're DNA renegades.

The prion thing is more apt. Prions have a catalytic effect which reproduces the prion. Pre-cellular proto-life (or whatever) must have had the same kind of catalytic effect, one that acted to reproduce the original, randomly-generated catalyst. Not necessarily by one step; the catalyst could produce a different catalyst which in turn produced the original, or produced yet another catalyst which produced the original ... The circular chain can get indefinitely long in theory, although there are obvious practical constraints. The players need to be kept in reasonably close proximity, for instance. In life as we know it the cell does that.

We may never know exactly how it happened, but I like Black Smokers as a good bet for the location. They're hugely fractal, have vast numbers of tiny niches that could confine sets of quite complex molecules, the walls of the niches could themselves have a catalytic effect, they sit in the middle of a very steep energy gradient (life is all about the energy gradient) and there all sorts of energy-rich chemical building-blocks streaming through that could eddy into the niches. The complex molecules could seep out and congregate again in other niches. If the reproduction was inexact - which it surely would be - evolution by natural selection kicks in. Before you know it we've got income tax and rice-pudding.

It could be happening today. Potential chemical ancestors of life might be popping up every day, every hour. What our chemical ancestors didn't have was predation by established life-forms. Newbies are toast these days.

Quote:
Oh well. I'll give him this much, It is interesting to think how fast life did progress in relation to the span of the earth.
It is indeed. To me it speaks of the likelihood - not to say inevitabliity - of life emerging where it can, rather than the IDers' unlikliehood crutch.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 04:36 PM   #10
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
Between "quote" and "post reply" everything went frickin' weird. Is this the "change for the sake of it" event I've been dreading?
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2006, 06:47 AM   #11
Soapy Sam
NLH
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 28,304
It's the technillogical Singularity.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2006, 07:09 AM   #12
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing
 
CFLarsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 42,377
Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Sometimes these annoying creationists just piss me off:

http://www.evolutionisdead.com/forum...a63c3a63#11670

~~ Paul
Down, boy! Down!
__________________
SkepticReport.com
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2006, 07:31 AM   #13
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,979
I posted the Top Ten list from the latest Commentary on a board where people brought up a new thread every few hours, it seemed. Totally killed all discussion of it.
__________________
Science doesn't lie.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2006, 03:37 PM   #14
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
I hate change for change's sake .
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2006, 03:39 PM   #15
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
I only posted that last so that I can add it to my sig.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2006, 03:57 PM   #16
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 36,738
Rats, I came looking for ways to annoy them.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2006, 07:15 PM   #17
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.
 
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 19,060
Originally Posted by Capel
I hate change for change's sake.
Why? Change is good for you.

~~ Paul
__________________
Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ---Susan Ertz

RIP Mr. Skinny
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2006, 11:29 PM   #18
Zep
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 26,709
Not...LOOSE Change...??
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 12:34 PM   #19
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Why? Change is good for you.

~~ Paul
One moment you've "Alive" status, the next it's changed to "Dead", no obvious benefit there. One day your best girl adores you, the next she's run off with a lawyer. Not all change is good, and I happen to be a rather conservative chap. I'm even nostalgic for the Cold War (as least you knew where you stood in those days, it's been bloody mayhem ever since).
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 06:34 PM   #20
Yahzi
Master Poster
 
Yahzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,669
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Not all change is good
Change is bad.

(Assuming you worked hard to get where you are.)

__________________
ID lives in a cardboard refrigerator box and throws rocks through the windows of evolution's unfinished mansion. ---Beleth

Buy my book! www.WorldOfPrime.com
Yahzi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 06:57 PM   #21
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
Originally Posted by Yahzi View Post
Change is bad.

(Assuming you worked hard to get where you are.)



If it was good enough to make my father rich ... and good enough to make his father rich ... it should be good enough to make me rich. Not referring to hard work, of course.

I have a Computer Science degree from 1976, in no small part because I saw it as the best ticket to buy. I've been de-skilled in my own lifetime. Go on someone, pass me the gun and tell me again that change is good.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 08:17 PM   #22
Verde
Muse
 
Verde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Where the jackalopes roam.
Posts: 817
Originally Posted by Yahzi View Post
Change is bad.
Spare some change, guv?
Verde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 05:56 AM   #23
Taffer
Shén Tōu
 
Taffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,530
Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Sometimes these annoying creationists just piss me off:

http://www.evolutionisdead.com/forum...a63c3a63#11670

~~ Paul
Just...ew.
__________________
Die Dulce Fruere
"Whereof one cannot speak, Thereof one must be silent."
BUILDS YOUR ROOFS OF DEAD WOOD. BUILDS YOUR WALLS OF DEAD STONE. BUILDS YOUR DREAMS OF DEAD THOUGHTS.
COMES CRYING LAUGHING SINGING BACK TO LIFE, TAKES WHAT YOU STEAL, AND PULLS THE SKINS FROM YOUR DEAD BONES SHRIEKING. -- Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple.
Taffer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 01:10 PM   #24
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details...
Posts: 39,877
Quote:
Annoying creationists
Is there any other kind ?
__________________
"'Ought' statements are merely 'is' statements that beg the question." - PixyMisa

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force, my friends, is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived." - Starship Troopers
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 01:16 PM   #25
briandunning
Thinker
 
briandunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 182
The best part about annoying a creationist is that you then get to go to hell. I hear the chicks there are hot.
__________________
Skeptoid Podcast - Critical Analysis of Pop Phenomena
briandunning is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 01:51 PM   #26
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,623
There is one sure-fire way to annoy Creationists -- IGNORE them!

Really, many 'creos' seem to engage 'evos' (and vice-versa) in pointless arguments for the attention alone. Since nothing offends a fanatic so much as indifference to their particular idealistic cause, ignoring them is a mortal offense.

And by 'pointless,' I mean that neither side is ever going to convince the other of the truth and validity of their argument. Even if their facts are in order and their reasoning sound, no-one will win. So, why bother?

BTW: This is my first post on JREF.

- Fnord of Dyscordia -
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 02:02 PM   #27
Dark Jaguar
Graduate Poster
 
Dark Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,666
Fnord, I disagree with your last point. While one who believes what they believe regardless of the amount of evidence may not ever be convinced by any argument, one who belives what they believe entirely because of evidence, who can and does change their mind as new evidence comes in, would certainly be willing to hear the other side's arguments if they are in fact sound and valid. So no, I'd say a rational person who came to believe in evolution for rational reasons WOULD in fact be convinced of creationism IF they had valid evidence and arguments for it. As of yet, they have not.

As to ignoring them, that's fun too. Unfortunatly, ignoring them has led to this point where they are trying to get it taught in public schools. Ignoring is no longer an option.
Dark Jaguar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 02:25 PM   #28
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,623
I was referring to the extreme cases on both sides. Of course, there is somewhere in the middle where a dichotomy of thought can be held.

As for wanting to teach Creationism in public schools -- let them try. But give those kids an earlier start on Philosophy and Reason, especially when it comes to recognizing fallacious statements and unsubstantiated data.

You know; the "Scientific Method."

Once people know how to think for themselves, they should reach the rational conclusions on their own. Otherwise, they are innocents caught in the middle of a doctrinal war, getting fired upon from both sides. Sooner or later, they'll shut everything out and muddle along without reason or thought to their own existance.

THAT is the tragedy.

-Fnord of Dyscordia-
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 04:02 PM   #29
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
Are we missing an "O" in fnoord, or is my brain screwed? Or neither?

I do not need to see fnoords right after watching someone get chased down my street in Torchwood. Gimme a break.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 04:21 PM   #30
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
More reasons for head-frick : both election episodes of West Wing Series 7 in succession. Said episodes arriving on DVD accompanied by a bottle of 10-year-old Jamieson's Malt. And the following earlier in the day when everything seemed to be pretty normal :

There's this excellent pub up the way that was known as the Poet's Corner since forever, way before Dylan Thomas got thrown out for mine-sweeping. About ten years ago the name was changed to the thoroughly innapropriate Tut 'n' Shive (immediately re-christened the Twp and Swive, look it up). Fortunately the pub remained essentially the same. Even when there was scaffolding in the pool-room to hold up the roof well, hey, there was never open access. Three tables in what's essentially an attic, waddya gonna expect?

The bullet had to be bit in the end. The pub has re-opened - and the name has been changed again. Now it's the Poet's Corner. Where will it end? Do we just have to put up with it? Have we no say?
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 04:38 PM   #31
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid
 
Bronze Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,993
I've got an annoying Creationist. Feel free to deal with him so I won't have to waste my time when you can do the same.
__________________
Stop Sylvia Browne

Warning: Beware of contaminated water supplies! Suspected source of contamination: Sarah-I

A non-Rockstar Rambler and dissector of Doggerel
Bronze Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 05:37 PM   #32
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
Originally Posted by Bronze Dog View Post
I've got an annoying Creationist. Feel free to deal with him so I won't have to waste my time when you can do the same.
You could at least demonstrate how a master does it. Whether Paul felt he needed to be unleashed by you before he had a try is for Paul to say. If he decides he should bother. I can't, off the top of my head, imagine why he would.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 07:03 PM   #33
McCulloch
New Blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
As for wanting to teach Creationism in public schools -- let them try. But give those kids an earlier start on Philosophy and Reason, especially when it comes to recognizing fallacious statements and unsubstantiated data.

You know; the "Scientific Method."

Once people know how to think for themselves, they should reach the rational conclusions on their own. Otherwise, they are innocents caught in the middle of a doctrinal war, getting fired upon from both sides. Sooner or later, they'll shut everything out and muddle along without reason or thought to their own existance.
Aren't they trying to stop the teaching of how to think in the education system in the USA?
McCulloch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st November 2006, 09:51 PM   #34
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 35,557
Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Sometimes these annoying creationists just piss me off:

http://www.evolutionisdead.com/forum...a63c3a63#11670

~~ Paul
Now that's a side of you I haven't seen before.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2006, 02:10 AM   #35
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina
 
Mashuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,599
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Are we missing an "O" in fnoord, or is my brain screwed? Or neither?

I do not need to see fnoords right after watching someone get chased down my street in Torchwood. Gimme a break.
Hee! I've had fun recognising areas where I've worked in Torchwood, but watching your street on TV must be slightly disturbing.

On a side note, the Urdd Eisteddfod was held in the field behind our house this year, and I had the strange experience of waking up to see the Tardis out of my bedroom window.
Mashuna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2006, 01:29 PM   #36
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,623
Originally Posted by McCulloch View Post
Aren't they trying to stop the teaching of how to think in the education system in the USA?
Who or what do you mean by "they"?

a) The Government.
b) The Gnomes of Zurich.
c) The Limosine Liberals.
d) The Ivory-Tower Conservatives.
e) The Feminists, Feminazis, and/or Feministas.
f) The Public School Boards.
g) The Religionists.
h) The Atheists.
i) All of the above.
j) None of the above.

Personally, I choose "i) All of the above."
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2006, 04:19 PM   #37
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
Who or what do you mean by "they"?
I'm not one for the "they" term either, it lacks rigour.

There are always interests in any society that do not welcome independant thought because their status and other privileges are founded on diktat, not persuasion. Be it aristocracy, religion, or economic oligarchy. Which do tend to fade into each other. "He's the lord because his father was, the church says that's right and proper, and he owns your ass". So shut up.

I don't doubt the forces of anti-rationality have been gaining momentum over the last decade or three. I'm fifty-something, I remember the days when science was on a roll (where's my jet-pack?!) and superstition apparently reeling. It's different now. To my mind there was a cusp around 1973-76 in the Anglo-Saxon world, which is my arena of experience. It was later in the Muslim world, starting weakly in 1979 - Iranian Revolution, Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and Zia ul-Haq Islamising Pakistan - but catching a fair wind in its sails. The Soviet block suppressed anti-rationality unintentionally by making every citizen a cynic, and the post-Soviet experience has carried on the good work. China's social trajectories have never been closely synced to the West, Western impressions notwithstanding. I've given up trying to understand Japan, life's too short.

The world is in the early stages of a Great Crisis, the sort of thing that has occurred before at a regional level. At each such crisis the region is larger; at this one it's reached global. That hasn't happened before. And at each such crisis period the irrational and anti-rational gain ground because the rational says you're screwed. And who wants to hear that.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2006, 04:46 PM   #38
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
Originally Posted by Mashuna View Post
Hee! I've had fun recognising areas where I've worked in Torchwood, but watching your street on TV must be slightly disturbing.
It's not as if I live in Los Angeles, you know? Initial reaction : how did I not notice the filming? I work from home, I shop locally, I chat regularly with neighbours. Then it occurred to me that none of us would raise - or do raise - an eyelid when somebody is chased past our window by a copper. And todays's filming technology means you can shoot it almost as quickly as you do it.

The spooky gas-mask double in first series New Who (as it's known round here) meant the crew were encamped on the old (closed) Cardiff Royal Infirmary for a week or so, everybody knew it was going to feature. I turned into the Hayes a few months ago to find it decked out for Xmas, I was fazed for a few seconds there, then recalled the special Xmas episode to introduce the new side-kick. But twenty seconds of pursuit shots? Wouldn't leave a mark.

The Torchwood Cardiff looks so amazing I'm considering moving there .

Quote:
On a side note, the Urdd Eisteddfod was held in the field behind our house this year, and I had the strange experience of waking up to see the Tardis out of my bedroom window.
I've had nights like that too.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2006, 05:57 PM   #39
Dark Jaguar
Graduate Poster
 
Dark Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,666
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
It's not as if I live in Los Angeles, you know? Initial reaction : how did I not notice the filming? I work from home, I shop locally, I chat regularly with neighbours. Then it occurred to me that none of us would raise - or do raise - an eyelid when somebody is chased past our window by a copper.
How often are people chased by your window by cops?! I'd certainly give it a second thought, and would certainly be VERY interested.
Dark Jaguar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2006, 05:58 PM   #40
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 17,798
Examination of the original text confirms that there is only one "O" in fnord. My recollection was that there were two. Which, given the context, is downright disturbing.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:55 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.