IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th October 2006, 09:52 PM   #1
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Picking up radio stations through dental fillings

True or no?

I'm guessing myth, but weirder things have happened, too.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Ducky

Origin of the myth, as far as I know.

If I recall correctly, the Mythbusters busted this myth.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 10:01 PM   #3
De_Bunk
Scourge of the Believer

Yep...It was proven to be untrue a good few years before the Mythbusters totally exposed it as totally, 100% logically impossible and complete BS...

DB

Trouble is..nearly 25,000 have been deleted...100% true..(Thanks to someone messing with the database..and you know who you are)

And you think you're 'Hardcore'.. (DB)
De_Bunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 10:01 PM   #4
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

It was on Gilligan's Island, so there might be something to it.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2006, 10:11 PM   #5
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

This has always been a favo(u)rite of mine because I have always thought it was at least conceivable. A diode can demodulate RF to extract an audio frequency signal. See "Crystal Radio" for proof.

A bit of Googling(tm) brought me to https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/a.../msg00290.html
that seems to confirm my thinking. The bottom line of the poster there "Possible, but I would like to see it documented somewhere." Me too.

I don't think the MythBusters completely convinced me it was not possible.
Old 30th October 2006, 05:50 AM   #6
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

According to people with schizophrenia, it was possible that there were people listening and talking to them through the gas pipes as well, but given modern times computers are more likely the culprits.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2006, 06:18 AM   #7
Starthinker
Philosopher

Well, it made Laurie play her keyboard off tempo. Isn't that documentation?
Starthinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2006, 06:41 AM   #8
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

I first heard this in the 1960s when pirate radio stations in Europe- some on ships in the North Sea- were broadcasting AM signals at very high output power. Even if believable then, would it not be pretty improbable in the age of line-of-sight (or close to it) FM and digital stations with much smaller broadcast areas and lower powered transmitters?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2006, 06:42 AM   #9
NeilC
Graduate Poster

My wife's fillings pick up the radio.

Further more, since the advent of DAB radio she can now pause broadcast and restart it later. Which is handy if the phone rings or something.
NeilC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2006, 01:41 PM   #10
bjb
Graduate Poster

Here's a story about an amateur radio operator whos tooth fillings were affected by a radio transmitter:

http://tafkac.org/science/radio_receiving_fillings.html

It seem the signal strength must be very high and the frequency needs to be just right for this to happen. I didn't see the Mythbusters episode in question so I don't know how they determined a tooth filling can't absorb radio frequencies.
bjb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology