IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags edgar cayce , The History Channel

Old 3rd November 2006, 04:34 PM   #1
gdtbiker
Critical Thinker

Woo on the History Channel? re Edgar Cayce

What's with the History Channel?? I'm watching it right now and it's all about how amazing Edgar Cayce was. Their website here tells it all really.
Quote:
He predicted WWII, the deaths of US Presidents, and the turmoil of the 1960s. He prophesied that Israel would become a state 15 years before the event and foretold the Great Depression. Many of his visions seemed to pass unfulfilled, but are now proven accurate. His name is Edgar Cayce, and to many, he's known as the other Nostradamus. Throughout the 1930s and `40s, Cayce was a well-known American figure, reputed for his "healing abilities" as well as his prophecies. Cayce's predictions are documented in the transcriptions of his readings, which he gave until his death in 1945. Join us as we examine his life and prophecies.
Is this garbage or what?! How does the History Channel get away with this stuff? Shouldn't they apply for Randi's Million? Seems like I've seen a lot more woo going on with the History Channel lately, like rewriting history!
gdtbiker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2006, 04:50 PM   #2
Rodney
Illuminator

Originally Posted by gdtbiker View Post
What's with the History Channel?? I'm watching it right now and it's all about how amazing Edgar Cayce was. Their website here tells it all really.

Is this garbage or what?!
"Or what."
Rodney is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2006, 04:54 PM   #3
Steven Howard
Graduate Poster

Post mentioning Edgar Cayce: 3:34 pm (PST)
Follow-up post by Rodney: 3:50 pm (PST)

Sixteen minutes. You're slowing down.
Steven Howard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Rodney
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Steven Howard View Post
Post mentioning Edgar Cayce: 3:34 pm (PST)
Follow-up post by Rodney: 3:50 pm (PST)

Sixteen minutes. You're slowing down.
However, there is a perfectly rational, non-woo explanation in this case: I didn't see gdtbiker's post until 3:49 P.M. PST.
Rodney is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2006, 07:03 PM   #5
Rassilon
Student

Originally Posted by gdtbiker View Post
Seems like I've seen a lot more woo going on with the History Channel lately, like rewriting history!
The Discovery Channel network is starting to go "woo-ish" too. We've got A Haunting on Discovery and Most Haunted on Travel. I don't even trust the National Geographic channel anymore. It seems like the Is It Real? series is trying to walk the line, and the Dog Whisperer is just unnerving.

Actually, I started to get worried about the Discovery Channel when I saw a commerical during MythBusters that among other things said "do what can't be done" and "spread the gospel".

[Despite the appearance to the contrary, I do not spend all day watching tv...]
Rassilon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2006, 07:15 PM   #6
CBVan
Scholar

Ive got a friend who believes this guy is the real deal. How can I prove he isn't?
CBVan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2006, 07:24 PM   #7
Starthinker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CBVan View Post
Ive got a friend who believes this guy is the real deal. How can I prove he isn't?
You can't. That's the problem. His quatrains (or whatever you call them) are open for interpretation. They are so vague that you can pick one at random, pick a historical event at random, and then make it fit.

Here's one of my own. Let's see if it comes true.

At the third light what was intwined shall be undone
The mighty will deny the change
Two will fall, one will stand
But the ground will be rocky and that which stands shall fall.
Starthinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Rodney
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Starthinker View Post
You can't. That's the problem. His quatrains (or whatever you call them) are open for interpretation. They are so vague that you can pick one at random, pick a historical event at random, and then make it fit.
No, that's Nostradamus. Cayce didn't do quatrains. And, as I've mentioned on other threads, Cayce's weakest suit was likely his prophecies. His strongest suit was medical diagnoses.
Old 3rd November 2006, 07:45 PM   #9
BracesForImpact
Scholar

The History Channel has been "woo woo" for awhile now. Check out how many UFO specials they have on any given week.

Originally posted by Rassilon:
Quote:
The Discovery Channel network is starting to go "woo-ish" too. We've got A Haunting on Discovery and Most Haunted on Travel. I don't even trust the National Geographic channel anymore. It seems like the Is It Real? series is trying to walk the line, and the Dog Whisperer is just unnerving.
I agree that most of that is crap. I haven't watched a lot of The Dog Whisperer though, but from what I've seen, it's not as much nonsense as the name implies. Cesar Millan just seems to use more advanced training techniques that work on pack-oriented animals well. I've never noticed any woo involved.
Old 3rd November 2006, 08:56 PM   #10
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

I've never noticed any woo on Dog Whisperer either. Is It Real? at least presents a skeptical viewpoint. The rest is just silly. A Haunting doesn't belong on Discovery at all, as well as Sensing Murder. The History Channel is a lost cause.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2006, 09:58 PM   #11
Pipirr
Graduate Poster

The History Channel in Canada is almost completely woo free, but it would be nice if it covered something other than Nazis and antiques. Thousands of years of human history, summed up in WWII and baseball cards? Did nothing else happen?

Thankfully no sign of Edgar Cayce. Yet.
Pipirr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2006, 10:12 PM   #12
CLD

Originally Posted by Pipirr View Post
The History Channel in Canada is almost completely woo free, but it would be nice if it covered something other than Nazis and antiques. Thousands of years of human history, summed up in WWII and baseball cards? Did nothing else happen?

Thankfully no sign of Edgar Cayce. Yet.
We used to call The History Channel The Hitler Channel because the majority of programs were WWII documentaries featuring copious footage of Hitler, so that no matter what time of day or night you tuned in, chances were good that Adolf would be on screen.
CLD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 06:16 AM   #13
Pipirr
Graduate Poster

On balance, I'd rather have the Hitler channel than the crap that gets shown on 'W'. Ever seen 'Rescue Mediums'? Two women pretend to get all emotional in people's houses and cry a lot until presumably the spirits get as embarassed as I did and slink out the back door; thus being 'rescued' and 'at peace'. Toe-curlingly shameful stuff.
Pipirr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 06:30 AM   #14
Big Les
Philosopher

Channel 5 here in the UK has so many Nazi programmes that I call it "Channel Funf". There's plenty of Hitler-woo on there as well - programmes on the Spear of Destiny for example.
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 07:56 AM   #15
Psiload
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
No, that's Nostradamus. Cayce didn't do quatrains. And, as I've mentioned on other threads, Cayce's weakest suit was likely his prophecies. His strongest suit was medical diagnoses.
Given that the the field of medicine was Cayce's strongest suit, what lasting contributions has he made to the field of modern medicine? Which treatment, therapy, remedy, etc...?
Old 4th November 2006, 07:59 AM   #16
Psiload
Master Poster

Originally Posted by CLD View Post
We used to call The History Channel The Hitler Channel because the majority of programs were WWII documentaries featuring copious footage of Hitler, so that no matter what time of day or night you tuned in, chances were good that Adolf would be on screen.
My wife calls it the Hitler Channel too, as in, "Turn off that Hitler Channel, don't you ever get sick of that stuff?"

And I reply with, "Hold on, I want to see how this turns out."
Old 4th November 2006, 08:12 AM   #17
gdtbiker
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Psiload View Post
My wife calls it the Hitler Channel too, as in, "Turn off that Hitler Channel, don't you ever get sick of that stuff?"

So, how Did it turn out? Don't keep us in suspense - did Hitler win?

Nice one!
gdtbiker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 08:45 AM   #18
Rodney
Illuminator

Given that the the field of medicine was Cayce's strongest suit, what lasting contributions has he made to the field of modern medicine? Which treatment, therapy, remedy, etc...?
Cayce pioneered the holistic health movement. As the American Holistic Medical Association states: "Holistic medicine is the art and science of healing that addresses the whole person - body, mind, and spirit. The practice of holistic medicine integrates conventional and alternative therapies to prevent and treat disease, and most importantly, to promote optimal health. This condition of holistic health is defined as the unlimited and unimpeded free flow of life force energy through body, mind, and spirit." See http://ahha.org/articles.asp?Id=81

Many people have claimed success by following Cayce's treatments. See this discussion on another thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...is#post1660125
Old 4th November 2006, 08:55 AM   #19
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CLD View Post
I call it the WWII and Guns Channel.
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 09:01 AM   #20
CptColumbo
Just One More Question

At least it doesn't have constant shows about building choppers, and trippin' out cars.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices to be only found in the minds of men. Prejudices and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own.--Rod Serling
CptColumbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 09:11 AM   #21
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Cayce pioneered the holistic health movement. As the American Holistic Medical Association states: "Holistic medicine is the art and science of healing that addresses the whole person - body, mind, and spirit. "
Even their mission statement is garbage. You can't have a healing science for something which doesn't exist.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The whistles aren't the only thing that go "WOO".
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 09:22 AM   #22
Brian Jackson
Graduate Poster

And WTF is "A Makeover Story" doing on a network called The Learning Channel, all day, every day, for Pete's sake? And just what am I "discovering" after 900 episodes of "build-a-bike" and pimp rides? For that matter, what does the "M" stand for in MTV? Little by little it all turns to $h*t.
Brian Jackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 10:04 AM   #23
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brian Jackson View Post
And WTF is "A Makeover Story" doing on a network called The Learning Channel, all day, every day, for Pete's sake? And just what am I "discovering" after 900 episodes of "build-a-bike" and pimp rides? For that matter, what does the "M" stand for in MTV? Little by little it all turns to $h*t.
The Learning Channel was the first one to start going downhill. I believe it was the History of the Bikini that started the ball rolling. Then it was at first a trickle of things like "A Baby Story" or "A Wedding Story" that turned into a full-fledged flood of feel-good flotsom. And then it spread like AIDS to the other similar channels, leaving them open to other garbage - like the title topic.

Now The Learning Channel has a terminal case of building-worthless-crap-osis. I've proudly never seen an episode of Monster Garage or American Chopper. Or a goddamn Baby Story.

Discovery International is good, as is the Science Channel. Animal Planet could stand some reworking, since it lost its patron saint. Planet's Funniest Animals needs to go - it's not like there's a shortage of animal documentaries out there.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 10:33 AM   #24
Brian Jackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Now The Learning Channel has a terminal case of building-worthless-crap-osis.
Agreed. I've dubbed TLC as the "Oh Let's Paint The House" Channel. I mean, isn't that what the Home & Garden channel was for?
Brian Jackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 11:09 AM   #25
ClintonHammond

"WTF is "A Makeover Story" doing on a network called The Learning Channel"

Making them a hell of a lot of $$ in add revenue
ClintonHammond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 12:47 PM   #26
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ClintonHammond View Post
"WTF is "A Makeover Story" doing on a network called The Learning Channel"

Making them a hell of a lot of $$ in add revenue
Notice those kind of shows come on during the day, when the majority of the viewers are likely to be women. They're competing with The View. Women are more likely than men to love fixer-uppers, there's a reason makeover shows are so popular.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 12:59 PM   #27
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

And, as I've mentioned on other threads, Cayce's weakest suit was likely his prophecies. His strongest suit was medical diagnoses.
However, didn't he once "prescribe" for a client who turned out to have died between the time she sent Cayce a letter asking for help and the time he received it? Seems like his diagnostic skills left just a LEETLE to be desired.
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 02:17 PM   #28
Moochie
Philosopher

The local arm of The History Channel showed "Loose Change 2" at around the anniversary of 9/11.

Here's my email to them:

I was alarmed to see that THC plans to show "Loose Change 2" this month.

Are you aware of this program's content? It's full of factual errors, distortions, and outright lies. It's offensive to the memory of those who died on 9/11 and I find it utterly incredible that any cable network with an ounce of integrity would deign to show it.

Here's their anonymous reply:

Thankyou for your feedback.
Like all television networks The History Channel broadcasts conspiracy theory programming from series like 'The Men Who Killed Kennedy' to programmes like 'Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land On The Moon? and the BBC series 'The Power of Nightmares' all of which present controversial theories relating to history.

Whilst no single representation of History is truely accurate the viewer needs to be given the opportunity to view all arguements in order to be able to begin to create their own opinion even if this serves to debunk a theory presented.

The majority of our 9/11 programming actually focused on the heroic actions of all involved in the events of September 11 2001.

I sent back a far lengthier refutation to which I received no reply at all.

It's thoroughly depressing.

M.
Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 03:50 PM   #29
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Notice those kind of shows come on during the day, when the majority of the viewers are likely to be women. They're competing with The View. Women are more likely than men to love fixer-uppers, there's a reason makeover shows are so popular.
Oh dear... I watched the DIY Channel and Home and Garden until my partner locked it out. The house looks fabulous though.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 03:52 PM   #30
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Big Les View Post
Channel 5 here in the UK has so many Nazi programmes that I call it "Channel Funf". There's plenty of Hitler-woo on there as well - programmes on the Spear of Destiny for example.
"Hitler and the Occult" is another golden clinker. I've seen Spear of Destiny on the History Channel.
Old 4th November 2006, 04:02 PM   #31
CLD

I must admit, WWII documentaries containing footage of Hitler have a narcotic effect on me, precisely because I know how it's all going to turn out. They provide a great background for mid-day naps.
CLD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 04:19 PM   #32
Psiload
Master Poster

One day I turned on The History Channel and they were showing The Road Warrior.

Huh? History? Assless chaps? Razor sharp boomerangs? Whose history is that?
Old 4th November 2006, 04:41 PM   #33
Big Al
Mage Questor

Cayce pioneered the holistic health movement. As the American Holistic Medical Association states: "Holistic medicine is the art and science of healing that addresses the whole person - body, mind, and spirit. The practice of holistic medicine integrates conventional and alternative therapies to prevent and treat disease, and most importantly, to promote optimal health. This condition of holistic health is defined as the unlimited and unimpeded free flow of life force energy through body, mind, and spirit."
I see. So a guy going into a sleep trance and then advising someone to take bedbug juice (one of Cayce's actual 'cures') addresses mind, body and spirit, whereas a "real" doctor staying awake and advising someone to take a "real" medicine doesn't?
Old 4th November 2006, 04:52 PM   #34
Rodney
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
However, didn't he once "prescribe" for a client who turned out to have died between the time she sent Cayce a letter asking for help and the time he received it? Seems like his diagnostic skills left just a LEETLE to be desired.
As described in his sons' book "The Outer Limits of Edgar Cayce's Power", on one occasion Cayce was asked to give a reading for a woman based on a newspaper article. The article described the woman as seriously-ill, and Cayce's reading seemed to fit the facts at the time of the article. Unfortunately, she had died prior to the reading. Cayce then gave a follow-up reading in which he took responsibility for the error.

Now, some might think it odd that, if Cayce were a fraud, his sons would write a book highlighting errors of this nature. Randi and many of his followers, however, seem to think this book was part of a clever reverse psychology conspiracy. More light could be shed on this matter if Randi and company were willing to explore Cayce's readings in more depth, but that doesn't seem to be happening. But not to worry -- I'm here to set the record straight.
Old 4th November 2006, 04:56 PM   #35
Rodney
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
I see. So a guy going into a sleep trance and then advising someone to take bedbug juice (one of Cayce's actual 'cures')
Did the cure work?

Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
addresses mind, body and spirit, whereas a "real" doctor staying awake and advising someone to take a "real" medicine doesn't?
Are you saying that you agree that "mind" and "spirit" exist?
Old 4th November 2006, 04:57 PM   #36
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
Oh dear... I watched the DIY Channel and Home and Garden until my partner locked it out. The house looks fabulous though.
If I was married, I'd much prefer my wife watch that kind of thing than soaps or Jerry Springer all day. I'm not knocking a TV channel for showing something that gets the best ratings it can from an intelligent (and well-researched) demographic during a difficult time-slot. I'm knocking it for claiming it is doing that in the interests of "learning", just as Brian Jackson knocks the Discovery Channel for showing the crap it does and calling it "discovery'.

Why would he lock those two channels out? I love the DIY Channel myself. I only wish I could smell the sawdust and WD40 on the saws.

Oh, and I'd like to take this moment to say that Junkyard Wars was another big push to that ball that A Baby Story got rolling on TLC (the Channel, not the hip-hop group with one who's hot, one who's dead, and one who's in jail for burning a mansion down).

Old 4th November 2006, 04:57 PM   #37
Starthinker
Philosopher

Holy cow, I must have been high when I wrote that, sorry.

I just recently cancelled my cable so alas, I will see no more of the History channel anyway.
Starthinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2006, 04:59 PM   #38
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

One day I turned on The History Channel and they were showing The Road Warrior.

Huh? History? Assless chaps? Razor sharp boomerangs? Whose history is that?
You're not helping to convince me to get a TV hook-up in my apartment...

Old 4th November 2006, 05:40 PM   #39
Big Al
Mage Questor

Did the cure work?

Are you saying that you agree that "mind" and "spirit" exist?
I imagine you know more about Cayce than I do, Rodney. You tell me if the cure worked. Certainly, Cayce's prescription of laetrile for cancer is regarded by "non-holistic" doctors as downright dangerous.

I definitely have a mind, or a sensorium, and I believe it is a by-product of the neurochemical processes in my brain. I don't believe there is a part of me that will live on after I die.

However, I'm asking a straight question. What makes prescribing something under a supposed trance somehow more "thorough" and "inclusive" than doing it with eyes wide open?
Old 4th November 2006, 06:17 PM   #40
Big Les
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Moochie View Post
The local arm of The History Channel showed "Loose Change 2" at around the anniversary of 9/11.

Here's my email to them:

I was alarmed to see that THC plans to show "Loose Change 2" this month.

Are you aware of this program's content? It's full of factual errors, distortions, and outright lies. It's offensive to the memory of those who died on 9/11 and I find it utterly incredible that any cable network with an ounce of integrity would deign to show it.

Here's their anonymous reply:

Thankyou for your feedback.
Like all television networks The History Channel broadcasts conspiracy theory programming from series like 'The Men Who Killed Kennedy' to programmes like 'Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land On The Moon? and the BBC series 'The Power of Nightmares' all of which present controversial theories relating to history.

Whilst no single representation of History is truely accurate the viewer needs to be given the opportunity to view all arguements in order to be able to begin to create their own opinion even if this serves to debunk a theory presented.

The majority of our 9/11 programming actually focused on the heroic actions of all involved in the events of September 11 2001.

I sent back a far lengthier refutation to which I received no reply at all.

It's thoroughly depressing.

M.
Bloody hell, you're kidding? I'd have a foaming fit if I saw that in the schedules. Followed by the stiffest letter I've ever written. Except the one I'm planning for British Gas of course (to include the classic "pelican" gag).
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal