ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags scientist

Old 26th June 2003, 07:21 PM   #1
COCT
Scholar

Who is the most famous scientist alive today?

While recently having a conversation about Oliver Sachs, my friend proclaimed that Dr. Sachs must be the most famous scientist alive today.

I countered that I think Stephen Hawking is more famous than Oliver Sachs, and is perhaps the most famous scientist alive today. My friend disagreed.

So... who's the most famous scientist alive today?

COCT
COCT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2003, 07:36 PM   #2
no one in particular
muse

Should have been a poll! But yes, I think Stephen Hawking is the most recognizable and I think certainly the most popular.

Others include Jane Goodall and Ross Gellar.
Old 26th June 2003, 07:39 PM   #3
Denise
Succubus

Phil Plait! Seriously though, I agree that it is probably Stephen Hawkings. Not so sure why the media decided to make him their darling, and not saying it's a bad thing, but I'm sure there are scientists out there doing amazing work that is hardly reported on.
Old 26th June 2003, 07:45 PM   #4
KelvinG
Master Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Denise
Phil Plait! Seriously though, I agree that it is probably Stephen Hawkings. Not so sure why the media decided to make him their darling, and not saying it's a bad thing, but I'm sure there are scientists out there doing amazing work that is hardly reported on.
I think his disability plays a part in why he is so well known. I'm sure his work is excellent, but as a human interest story, he is fascinating. The guy should have died over 30 years ago, but he kept on ticking and has singled himself out as one of the greatest minds ever.
Old 26th June 2003, 08:03 PM   #5
Sindai
Scholar

Definitely Stephen Hawking, if only because he was a Simpsons guest.

(Well, Gould was too, but he didn't have a flying super-wheelchair, so I think it's safe to say more people recall Hawking's episode.)
Sindai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2003, 08:15 PM   #6
CurtC
Illuminator

Everyone recognizes Stephen Hawking except Homer Simpson, who said, after Stephen said some truism, "LARRY FLYNT IS RIGHT!"

And by the way - who is Oliver Sachs? Maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I thought I followed science pretty closely, and I don't think I've ever heard of him.
CurtC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2003, 08:31 PM   #7
PygmyPlaidGiraffe
Graduate Poster

Wow, such a broad term, scientist

Alive huh, well I think all those people deserve mention:

Arthur C. Clark

Richard Leakey

The science guy (Bill Nye) - perhaps more an educator though

Dr. Francis Crick

Richard Dawkins

Jack Horner

L. Ron Hubbard (self proclaimed scientist)

ruminating artiodactyle ungulate

http://www.ultimateungulate.com/index.html
PygmyPlaidGiraffe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2003, 09:12 PM   #8
SquishyDave
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by CurtC

And by the way - who is Oliver Sachs? Maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I thought I followed science pretty closely, and I don't think I've ever heard of him.
I also follow science, and I also don't know this guy. I am sure I would have heard of his work so if you say, he did such and such, I'll tweak.

On topic the most famous scientist for TODAY would probably be Stephen Hawking.

Arthur C. Clark might be more famous, but would be known for his novels, not his scientificness.
Old 26th June 2003, 10:10 PM   #9
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Quote:
Originally posted by PygmyPlaidGiraffe
Wow, such a broad term, scientist

I thought L. Ron Hubbard was dead.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2003, 10:20 PM   #10
Yahweh
Ayay ashay ayay

The most famouse scientist is probably Stephen Hawking. Not only is he a genious but he rides a wheelchair with retractable rotor blades. He also fancies himself to be quite Thuggish .
Yahweh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2003, 10:23 PM   #11
reprise
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by UnrepentantSinner

I thought L. Ron Hubbard was dead.
He is, and has been for quite a while. But then he did promise to come back as a politician next time around, so he could be strutting around the planet incognito.
reprise is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2003, 10:26 PM   #12
Yahweh
Ayay ashay ayay

Here's one of those famous Mugshots when Hawking had gone on of spree of driveby's.
Yahweh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2003, 10:53 PM   #13
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Isn't L. Ron sort of, um, L. Dead?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2003, 11:20 PM   #14
BobK
Muse

Jack Horner?

Is he the one with plum juice on his thumb?
Old 27th June 2003, 02:57 AM   #15
JamesM
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by CurtC

Perhaps COCT meant Oliver Sacks.
JamesM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 06:00 AM   #16
COCT
Scholar

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesM

Perhaps COCT meant Oliver Sacks.
Yup. That's what I meant. The, um, "k" key on my keyboard isn't working. Yeah, that's it. (er... I mean "hey on my heyboard").

And in case anybody still is confused: He's the Doctor (although if medical doctors are considered scientists, maybe Dr. Drew Pinsky is the most famous scientist) who wrote The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat among other books, including Awakenings which was later turned into a movie starring Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro.

On another interesting note, he also recently wrote a recent article for Astrobiology Magazine about life in outer space (or lack thereof). It can be found at http://www.astrobio.net/news/sacks.php

COCT
COCT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 06:08 AM   #17
Hellcat

Stephen Hawking is the only one know whose's famous that is.
  Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 06:33 AM   #18
LuxFerum
Augustus

hawking, for his game

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they? - George Carlin
LuxFerum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 06:33 AM   #19
arcticpenguin
Philosopher

Quote:

Dr. Francis Crick
Doubtful. He's certainly universally known in scientific circles, but much of the general public probably thinks his name is really 'Watson N. Crick'.
arcticpenguin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 08:10 AM   #20
ceo_esq
Illuminator

Until recently, I might have picked Stephen Jay Gould.

Can anyone alive rival Hawking's high profile?

David Suzuki? Edward O. Wilson?

Or how about this guy:

ceo_esq is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 08:42 AM   #21
PygmyPlaidGiraffe
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by The Central Scrutinizer

Isn't L. Ron sort of, um, L. Dead?
No one can prove he is dead or a live.

Quote:
reprise quote:....But then he did promise to come back as a politician next time around, so he could be strutting around the planet incognito.
the speculation rages on

PygmyPlaidGiraffe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 08:43 AM   #22
PygmyPlaidGiraffe
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by arcticpenguin

Doubtful. He's certainly universally known in scientific circles, but much of the general public probably thinks his name is really 'Watson N. Crick'.

Old 27th June 2003, 08:49 AM   #23
PygmyPlaidGiraffe
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by ceo_esq
Until recently, I might have picked Stephen Jay Gould.

Can anyone alive rival Hawking's high profile?

David Suzuki? Edward O. Wilson?

Or how about this guy:

Is David Suzuki known well enough outside of Canada?

not sure on the status of E. O Wilson's renown... he is certainly known well in some societies/circles.

The man in the pic: that man could do a lot with a pair of coconuts.

Old 27th June 2003, 08:57 AM   #24
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by ceo_esq
Or how about this guy:

My hero!

(from my own files)

Everything I Ever Needed to Know I Learned from the Professor on Gilligan's Island:

-Don't be concerned with appearances. Wear the same thing every day if you want, as long as it's comfortable.

-Sometimes, Gilligan's ideas aren't as crazy as they sound.

-Take an interest in the arts. Be the MC for a talent show, or direct a musical (but leave the singing for those who can)

-Sometimes, it helps to know a little about obscure things, like bat anatomy.

-Don't dwell with what you don't have, but deal with the supplies that you DO have. If a coconut radio is what you can make, then a coconut radio is what you get.

-"Kissing on the mouth is far from sanitary. It can lead to all sorts of bacterial transfer."

-Voodoo is nothing but native superstition, and the sharp pain in your back and your burning feet are merely coincidence.

-Always be aware of your surroundings, but be cautious. You never know if the island is really sinking, or if someone is just moving your measuring stick.

-Two words: Acetylsalicylic Acid

-Don't overstate your position. No one will believe you when you tell them there are no such things as zombies if you've just spent two weeks standing in a rainstorm while in a trance.
"Baseball is a philosophy. The primordial ooze that once ruled our world has been captured in perpetual motion. Baseball is the moment. Its ever changing patterns are hypnotizing yet invigorating. Baseball is an art form. Classic and at the same time...progressive. Baseball is pre-historic and post-modern. Baseball is here to stay."

(Stolen from the side of a lava lamp box, and modified slightly)
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 09:16 AM   #25
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Good Ed, can't anyone use a proper research tool???

googlefight reports:
Stephen Hawking ( 95 900 results) versus Oliver Sachs ( 53 100 results)

The winner is: Stephen Hawking
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 10:41 AM   #26
Cristina
Student

Does Oliver Sacks do empirical research? Seems it's mostly case studies or patient series....just curious.

My vote is for David Suzuki but that's because he's Canadian.

Ok, Skepchicks...whose the hottest living scientist? hmmmmmmm.....
Cristina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 01:27 PM   #27
Yahweh
Ayay ashay ayay

About the Professor from Gilligans Island...
The question continues: How could the Professor make a radio out of a coconut, but couldnt fix a hole in a boat?
Old 27th June 2003, 01:50 PM   #28
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh
About the Professor from Gilligans Island...
The question continues: How could the Professor make a radio out of a coconut, but couldnt fix a hole in a boat?
Let's start with your premise: the Professor never made a radio out of coconut. He did make a battery recharger from coconuts, but never made a radio from anything. For a list of the things he did make, check out

http://www.russell-johnson.com/The_P...sor_s_lab.html
"Baseball is a philosophy. The primordial ooze that once ruled our world has been captured in perpetual motion. Baseball is the moment. Its ever changing patterns are hypnotizing yet invigorating. Baseball is an art form. Classic and at the same time...progressive. Baseball is pre-historic and post-modern. Baseball is here to stay."

(Stolen from the side of a lava lamp box, and modified slightly)
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 01:59 PM   #29
Yahweh
Ayay ashay ayay

Heres some more famous scientist mugshots...
Old 27th June 2003, 03:38 PM   #30
Ladewig
Hipster alien

The only scientific way to determine who is the most famous scientist alive today to take a poll.

Results from the U.S.A.

1) Albert Einstein *(results include those who responded Alfred Einstein)

2) Abraham Lincoln

3) Spock (that's Lt. Cmndr., not Dr.)

4) Professor Sherman Klump / Dr. Doolittle [tie]

It's quite clear that there is no "most famous scientist alive today."
Is the JREF message board training wheels for people who hope to one day troll other message boards? It is not that hard to get us to believe you. We are not the major leagues or even the minor leagues. We are Pee-Wee baseball. If you love striking out 10-year-olds, then you'll love trolling our board.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2003, 04:41 PM   #31
St_Hereticus
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by roger
Good Ed, can't anyone use a proper research tool???

googlefight reports:
Stephen Hawking ( 95 900 results) versus Oliver Sachs ( 53 100 results)

The winner is: Stephen Hawking
I'm happy to discover that in the linked venue, atheism (366,000) beats theism (87,100) hands down!

(sorry to be off topic, I won't let it happen again!)

God Not Found
St_Hereticus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2003, 03:40 AM   #32
Shane Costello
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by PygmyPlaidGiraffe:

Arthur C. Clark

Richard Leakey

The science guy (Bill Nye) - perhaps more an educator though

Dr. Francis Crick

Richard Dawkins

Jack Horner

Personally I'd have put James Watson in instead of Francis Crick. Crick has become something of a recluse, while Watson maintains a high profile and is fairly outspoken.
Shane Costello is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2003, 05:55 AM   #33
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Shouldn't this be in Banter.
My joke about freewill: There is no basis for it.
BillyJoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2003, 06:01 AM   #34
Diamond
SkepticWiki Founder

I would vote for David Suzuki for greatest pseudoscientist or greatest self-promoter-with-mediocre-talent...
Diamond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology