IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags testing , forgeries , footprints , bigfoot

Closed Thread
Old 15th February 2007, 01:34 PM   #2001
Huntster
Banned

Originally Posted by Hairy Man View Post
People shouldn't call designs on totem poles "bigfoot" unless the tribe themselves identified them as such....
People around here don't seem to like it when we call them kushtakas, either, like the people who created the totems do.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2007, 01:34 PM   #2002
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Why do the Native artisans who carve them point to them and call them kushtakas?
Is it because they are confusing a wild hairy biped with an otter?

Quote:
Why do folks who make a habit of pooh-poohing sasquatchery point to the native artisans who carved them and call them wrong?
Because we have no functional evidence that they are right.
Old 15th February 2007, 01:36 PM   #2003
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

So, there isn't any evidence that kushtaka means bigfoot?

I have already presented an anthropologist's opinion that it does not.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2007, 01:37 PM   #2004
Huntster
Banned

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
Why do the Native artisans who carve them point to them and call them kushtakas?
Is it because they are confusing a wild hairy biped with an otter?
Nope.

It's because they carved an image of the kushtaka on the totem pole.

Quote:
Quote:
Why do folks who make a habit of pooh-poohing sasquatchery point to the native artisans who carved them and call them wrong?
Because we have no functional evidence that they are right.
And you have no functional evidence that they are wrong.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2007, 01:52 PM   #2005
RayG
Master Poster

Maybe.

But why do the rest of the Gulf of Alaska natives {Tsimshian, Haida, Chugach, etc) share the tradition and also have current sightings, and Aleuts & Alutiiq do not, despite a long tradition of trade, warfare, intermingling, etc?
Different culture, different tribe, different beliefs?

Quote:
Got any current leprechaun sightings, footprints, etc?
No, what does that have to do with the lack of leprechaun belief in France?

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2007, 01:56 PM   #2006
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Where is the evidence that the tlingit believe kushtaka are the same as sasquatch?

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2007, 01:56 PM   #2007
RayG
Master Poster

I'm especially thick today, can someone please explain how a shape-shifting otter-man equates to what has been described as a bigfoot?

Is it because there are stories of both stealing children? The physical description doesn't seem to match.

I'm just not getting it...

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2007, 02:00 PM   #2008
Huntster
Banned

Originally Posted by RayG View Post
Quote:
....But why do the rest of the Gulf of Alaska natives {Tsimshian, Haida, Chugach, etc) share the tradition and also have current sightings, and Aleuts & Alutiiq do not, despite a long tradition of trade, warfare, intermingling, etc?
Different culture, different tribe, different beliefs?
But why do the rest of the Gulf of Alaska natives {Tsimshian, Haida, Chugach, etc) share the tradition and also have current sightings, and Aleuts & Alutiiq do not, despite a long tradition of trade, warfare, intermingling, etc.

Quote:
Quote:
No, what does that have to do with the lack of leprechaun belief in France?
Because there are current reports of sasquatchery on POW Island (from Natives and whites alike), no current reports of sasquatchery on Kodiak Island (from either Natives or whites), and no current reports of leprechauns in Ireland (that I know of).

So:

Old 15th February 2007, 02:09 PM   #2009
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I'm especially thick today, can someone please explain how a shape-shifting otter-man equates to what has been described as a bigfoot?
It doesn't, unless you stretch the hell out of it and believe.

Or Beckjord is closer to the truth....

Old 15th February 2007, 02:16 PM   #2010
Huntster
Banned

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
....BTW, you forgot to answer mine which was: In their respective habitats, how do you think a sasquatch's survival behaviour compares to a brown bear?....
Sorry. I missed that question. I'm going pretty fast here dealing with "others."

This question actually relates closely to the question I asked you regarding Kodiak Island/POW Island.

I believe the relationship between sasquatches and brown bears is very similar to the relationship between black bears and brown bears.

I believe sasquatches avoid brown bears like (and for the same reason) black bears (and everything else, except idiots like Timothy Treadwell) avoid them:

Brown bears are nasty, aggressive, powerful, huge, and simply intolerable.

The Kodiak Archipelago, along with the ABC Islands in the Alexander Archipelago (Admiralty, Baranov, and Chichigof) boast the highest densities of brown bears on Earth. Interestingly, the habitat differs a bit. The majority of Kodiak Island itself is not densely forested, but is grassy and brushy (which is typical Alaskan brown bear habitat), but the ABC Islands are densely forested (like POW Island).

Robert Alley has recorded a few sightings on Admiralty Island (I believe it was), but the vast majority of sightings he has recorded in SE Alaska have been on Revelligigedo and POW Islands, where black bears are the only bears inhabiting the islands.
Old 15th February 2007, 02:20 PM   #2011
RayG
Master Poster

But why do the rest of the Gulf of Alaska natives {Tsimshian, Haida, Chugach, etc) share the tradition and also have current sightings, and Aleuts & Alutiiq do not, despite a long tradition of trade, warfare, intermingling, etc.
Why should one tribe have exactly the same beliefs as another? Two tribes, even if living in close proximity, may have completely different stories and traditions.

Quote:
Because there are current reports of sasquatchery on POW Island (from Natives and whites alike), no current reports of sasquatchery on Kodiak Island (from either Natives or whites), and no current reports of leprechauns in Ireland (that I know of).
In your opinon, does culture/tradition/belief have any bearing on the matter?

RayG
Old 15th February 2007, 02:37 PM   #2012
Hairy Man
Scholar

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
So, there isn't any evidence that kushtaka means bigfoot?

I have already presented an anthropologist's opinion that it does not.
I'm an anthropologist as well, and very well studied on NA lore (I can give you my vita if you request).

I already posted a list of published references that are available for you to check the association of kushtaka and it's traditional lore with the Tlingit. Internet references are not references and unacceptable as sources in professional publications.

I am sure it's possible that materials from ethnographers from the 1800s (who are people who study native cultures first hand and record the information) aren't perfect, however you haven't presented any ethnographic studies that suggest that the meaning of the word has changed or was incorrect since that time. Give me one and I will gladly look it up (and the reference needs to be from an anthropology journal, article, book, etc., not an internet reference).
Hairy Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2007, 02:39 PM   #2013
Huntster
Banned

Originally Posted by RayG View Post
Quote:

Why should one tribe have exactly the same beliefs as another?
Why should all the tribes of the region have that specific belief except one?

Quote:
Two tribes, even if living in close proximity, may have completely different stories and traditions.
Like they have two completely different species of bears?

Quote:
Quote:
In your opinon, does culture/tradition/belief have any bearing on the matter?
Of course. Culture/tradition/belief are part of the human testimony record right along with current reports.

In this case, the culture/tradition/belief differences match the current report differences like a glove.

Again, Glickman addressed this phenomenon of differing report densities in the Lower 48 states.

Remember?.......................

Why can Glickman record his findings publically (with his professional name signed on it) and the posters here cannot post as reasonable an explanation in anonymity?
Old 15th February 2007, 02:42 PM   #2014
Huntster
Banned

Quote:
.....Or Beckjord is closer to the truth....
Or the Tlingit people (like peoples and cultures everywhere) have "Beckjords" in their midst.............

Of course, like I've noted, except for the Alutiiq (as well as the current modern population of the Kodiak Archipelago).

I wonder why that might be?.......................
Old 15th February 2007, 02:49 PM   #2015
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Emmons, George Thornton. The Whale House of the Chilkat. New York,
AmericanMuseum of Natural History, 1916.

Henshaw, Henry W. and John R. Swanton. Tlingit. U. S. Bureau of American
Ethnology, Bulletin 30, pt. 2 (1910).

Oberg, Kalervo. The social economy of the Tlingit Indians. Chicago,
University of Chicago, 1937.

Swanton, John Reed. Social condition, beliefs, and linguistic relationship of the Tlingit Indians. U. S. Bureau of American Ethnology, Annual Report, 26
(1904-1905).
These books contain evidence that the tlingit people describe kushtaka in ways that match bigfoot?

Old 15th February 2007, 02:55 PM   #2016
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspac.../1/A019a01.pdf

Whale house link.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 15th February 2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 15th February 2007, 03:04 PM   #2017
drapier
Critical Thinker

This group apparently has a trailcam set up to capture a leprechaun on film.

http://www.irelandseye.com/leprechaun/reportsight.htm

Here's a newsreport of a leprechaun running wild in Mobile, Alabama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8

drapier is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2007, 03:16 PM   #2018
Hairy Man
Scholar

These books contain evidence that the tlingit people describe kushtaka in ways that match bigfoot?
When l go home, I will pull the books and try and find the exact reference/page number.

The link you posted isn't working for me, but is that the book on-line? COOL! Is it searchable?

Are there any other specific tribes/words you are interested in so I can look for those books at the same time?
Hairy Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2007, 03:28 PM   #2019
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The link you posted isn't working for me, but is that the book on-line? COOL! Is it searchable?
I believe it is a pdf of the book and it did appear to be searchable. It's about 16 megabytes. I looked at it briefly. It has beautiful pics. I will look at it again later.

Old 15th February 2007, 03:45 PM   #2020
Hairy Man
Scholar

I believe it is a pdf of the book and it did appear to be searchable. It's about 16 megabytes. I looked at it briefly. It has beautiful pics. I will look at it again later.
It came up but the search doesn't work, so I went through it line-by-line and no, it doesn't say k'cta-qa is a bigfoot. I also found both Swanton books on-line and while both books discuss otter-man and giants and provide very cool stories, he doesn't directly say, "k'cta-qa, Otter-man, is a hairy giant." Soooo...I will check the other book at home and another book I am thinking of...otherwise if I have to eat some crow, I prefer it warm.
Old 15th February 2007, 04:15 PM   #2021
Huntster
Banned

Originally Posted by drapier View Post
Quote:

This group apparently has a trailcam set up to capture a leprechaun on film.
Thank you!

That's in Ireland. Fits the lore.

Quote:
Here's a newsreport of a leprechaun running wild in Mobile, Alabama.
Alabama? Seems really out of place.

How about France?
Old 15th February 2007, 07:26 PM   #2022
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

Maybe.

But why do the rest of the Gulf of Alaska natives {Tsimshian, Haida, Chugach, etc) share the tradition and also have current sightings, and Aleuts & Alutiiq do not, despite a long tradition of trade, warfare, intermingling, etc?

OK well I'm struck with this thought...what about a third option?

If PWI has lots of Bigfeetsus lore and they have lots of Bigfeetsus sightings (allegedly) and Kodiak has no Bigfeetsus lore and no Bigfeetsus sightings what about a place that has a gaggle of Bigfeetsus lore yet NO Bigfeetsus sightings??

I'm sure such a place exists ...right Fudd!!??
Mad Hom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2007, 08:54 PM   #2023
tube
Muse

I feel like everyone is playing "Dogpile" here, but I'm not sure who is the unfortunate schlub on the bottom...

But to avoid being on the bottom, I should like to add a Paul Freeman "Haad Print" to the mix.

Talk about an opposable thumb!

tube is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2007, 12:55 AM   #2024
tube
Muse

Here is the result of a test I ran some long time ago. This was from a soil sample I got from a place in Washington called "Clay City", which I gather is more of a place than a real city. Rick Noll had suggested it to me.

As you can see, the result is not spectacular, but it is there. You see this sort of "tapering off" effect sometimes in desiccation ridges.

tube is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2007, 01:45 AM   #2025
Huntster
Banned

Originally Posted by Mad Hom View Post
OK well I'm struck with this thought...what about a third option?

If PWI has lots of Bigfeetsus lore and they have lots of Bigfeetsus sightings (allegedly) and Kodiak has no Bigfeetsus lore and no Bigfeetsus sightings what about a place that has a gaggle of Bigfeetsus lore yet NO Bigfeetsus sightings??

I'm sure such a place exists ...right Fudd!!??
Yup.

Ever read Glickman?
Old 16th February 2007, 04:40 AM   #2026
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Originally Posted by Hairy Man View Post
If you are only intent on seeing a live sasquatch (of course with the knowledge that it's always a needle in a haystack, unless you pay $300 to attend a BFRO expedition where an "experience" is guaranteed), then I would spend as much time as possible in an area where witnesses have reported sightings recently and has good habitat. I would recommend that you camp in that area; hike and/or drive the roads during the day (looking for either footprints or a guy carrying wooden feet) and hang around your fire at night. Stay in the area for as long as you can stand it. You could experiment with a few tactics that some folks use (to no true success to date) of baiting with everything from pancakes (don't forget the syrup or the guy in the hootie gets mad) to liver, call blasting reported bigfoot calls or known animals (monkey, deer, tortured child), etc.

If your goal is to see and document one, then I would add purchase of good video equipment, night vision (3rd gen), camera traps (cause you never know who is stealing your pancakes), hydrocal, and an evidence collection kit.

For locations, Skookum Meadow is where I would start.
Hi Hairy Man, sorry I wasn't able to respond yesterday but as you can see there's been I lot of activity. Whenever I hear the needle in a haystack analogy now I always think of the Myth Busters episode where they made needle in haystack finding devices. (Not that it's entirely related to sasquatch.)

I'm glad you brought up the BFRO as I specifically had them in mind when I asked the question. I'm finding it hard to think why such a group wouldn't be able to guarantee an 'experience' if we are to accept at face value much of what we are encouraged to believe concerning sasquatches. They have the best report database, plenty of willing help from all over NA, and before the exodus plenty of very professional minds to assist and guide their efforts in locating areas of sasquatch activity. A quick glance at their website shows seven upcoming expeditions, five of which are sold out. These areas certainly weren't selected at random. If you can identify areas of high enough sasquatch activity to invite members of the public to pay to come along and lend any gear they might have then you'd think that you've narrowed down their whereabouts a bit.

In general I'm having trouble understanding why any devoted and resourceful group wouldn't be able to locate and identify sasquatches if they put their minds to it. A 7-10 ft giant bipedal hominid inhabiting high density pockets from Alaska to the Florida panhandle in numbers sufficient to sustain a healthy breeding population and often reported should have been identified at some point in the last 200 years. 84 species of mammal in NA and you think in the process of cataloguing that list one of the biggest that seems to be reported from wherever there seems to be sufficient cover would be found. As I've said elsewhere I'm also at a loss to understand why any previous or ongoing studies being conducted in BF habitat has failed to identify these creatures. Indeed it seems that as Skookum Meadow is by no means little known amongst those with an interest in sasquatch you'd think we'd have seen something of substance in terms of reliable evidence by now.

OK, next question:

Why, in your opinion, has none of these areas of high activity yielded anything in the way of reliable evidence?

Please let me know if you have a question in return. Thanks.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2007, 04:59 AM   #2027
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tube View Post
I feel like everyone is playing "Dogpile" here, but I'm not sure who is the unfortunate schlub on the bottom...

But to avoid being on the bottom, I should like to add a Paul Freeman "Haad Print" to the mix.

Talk about an opposable thumb!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...e/IMG_3101.jpg
Well...

So, bigfeet have opposable thumbs or not?
Seems the "experts" are in disagreement, but how can they be with such "exceptional evidence"?

Do they have claws?
This "exceptional piece of evidence" shows no claws and possibly relatively well trimmed nails...
So, how this matches with claw marks near an alleged "bigfoot nest"? Where bigfeet cut their nails?
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2007, 07:03 AM   #2028
LAL
Illuminator

The Land Otter People were what I was thinking of earlier when I mentioned I thought some of it's a stretch (horrors! I agree with LTC!). However, I found this interesting bit on coastal nutrition:

"A saying amongst the Tlingit is that "when the tide goes out the table is set". This refers to the richness of intertidal life found on the beaches of Southeast Alaska, most of which can be harvested for food. Another saying is that "in Lingt Aan you have to be an idiot to starve". Since food is so easy to gather from the beaches, a person who can't feed himself at least enough to stay alive is considered to be a fool, perhaps mentally incompetent or suffering from very bad luck."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlingit

There are, of course, reports that indicate sasquatches like clams.

Whether or not the Tlingit had sasquatches in old tradition, they certainly have them now.

There were multiple sightings in 2005, and, even though the famous hair turned out to be from a long dead Wood Bison, something unusual seemed to be going on.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/sbs/teslin.htm

https://librarylu.wordpress.com/
LAL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2007, 07:52 AM   #2029
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

Yup.

Ever read Glickman?
Nope....and reading it wouldn't change my mind one iota....people theorizing never does actually.

So...you're saying there exists such a place that has ton's of Bigfeetsus lore yet absolutely not a single solitary sighting?? Feel free to expand on your single word answer Fudster would ya??

Because I guess what I'm driving at is this...you're trying to say Lore = Bigfeetsus and No Lore = No Bigfeetsus BUT if there exists a place with Lore and No Bigfeetsus I would propose your theory holds no water...kind of like a wicker basket.

Oh and while we're at it....what about absolutely No Lore whatsoever...yet tons of sightings (allegedly)?

How's Florida,Ohio,New York,Indiana,Georgia and the like doing for Lore? Because they surely do claim the Bigfeetsus sightings (allegedly).I'm not saying they don't have any Lore...just asking a question is all.

I mean if the Miami Tribe never spoke of a Bigfeetsus yet Ohio seems to claim a plethora of sightings nowadays...how on earth did Bigfeetsus elude those crafty indians?? I mean they are sooooooo smart and they documented everything right?? What about the Skunk Ape...was he big on the Seminoles list of important things??
Mad Hom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2007, 07:59 AM   #2030
JQH
Thinker

Hunting is a popular support in the US, I gather.

How come no hunter has ever shot a Bigfoot, if such actually exist?
JQH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2007, 08:06 AM   #2031
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

Originally Posted by JQH View Post

Oh JQ now you've gone and done it....fret not my good man LaL...Fudster..Hairy Man and even Teeny Yeti will assuredly set you straight on how situationally hard to find Bigfeetsus is. How crafty and elusive they are and how they inhabit the deepest darkest recesses of the hardest to reach places on earth.

Oh and the few hunters who have actually been lucky enough to have had a Bigfeetsus in their gunsights didn't pull the trigger...go figure huh?

Usually the excuses...errr... the reasons given are...Bigfeetsus was to human looking or they were afraid there were others around and they feared for thier lives blah blah blha ad nauseum.
Old 16th February 2007, 08:06 AM   #2032
kitakaze

LAL, I just read the same article while researching information on the Tlinglit, POW, ABC, and Kodiak islands, and brown bears for my dialogue with Huntster and I'd have to agree that this description:
Quote:
The Kooshdakhaa
No description of the Tlingit would be complete without mentioning the Kooshdakhaa (k'cta-qa), the dreaded and feared Land Otter People.

These creatures are human from the waist up, and otter-like below. Land otters are excellent fishers. Those who are drowned often marry (and become) land otters, and land otters can assist in drownings. Land otters are sinister and potentially harmful. When properly controlled, however, the land otter can be of great help to humans, such as fishermen whe penetrate the sacred realm beyond social boundaries. Those drowned and married to land otters (and their land otter children) can return to their human relations and assist them, usually by helping them catch abundant supplies of seafood. The land otters can make human children grow tails; they can only eat raw food, for if they eat cooked fish they will die; and as supernatural beings, after being out on the water they must regain land and find shelter before the raven calls or they will die.
...seems quite a stretch for a sasquatch tradition but a pretty cool mermaid/men tradition. I also noticed that the article really was in need of the cleanup. The part about their slavery and comparative aggressiveness was interesting.

kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2007, 08:12 AM   #2033
kitakaze

Originally Posted by JQH View Post

Hello JQH, and welcome to the board. Where are you posting from if you don't mind me asking?

Anywho, proponents will either give you anecdotal accounts of how they were shot but not fatally or the body was not recovered or anecdotal accounts of hunters sighting them but refraining from shooting a humaniform creature.

Old 16th February 2007, 08:17 AM   #2034
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

LAL, I just read the same article while researching information on the Tlinglit, POW, ABC, and Kodiak islands, and brown bears for my dialogue with Huntster and I'd have to agree that this description:...seems quite a stretch for a sasquatch tradition but a pretty cool mermaid/men tradition. I also noticed that the article really was in need of the cleanup. The part about their slavery and comparative aggressiveness was interesting.
Kit I'm looking up as many Native American tribes from East of the Mississippi as I can and am finding nothing regarding anything remotely resembling Bigfeetsus legends.

Of course my research skills may be suspect sooooo...I'm wondering what would be THE definitive spot to look.

Thanks,
Madness
Old 16th February 2007, 08:41 AM   #2035
LAL
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mad Hom View Post
Oh and the few hunters who have actually been lucky enough to have had a Bigfeetsus in their gunsights didn't pull the trigger...go figure huh?
Green had at least five reports of shootings and there may be more recent ones. In one the hunter emptied his rifle into the back of one as it retreated from a clearing with his deer under one arm.

Personally, I would not pursue a wounded and possibly angry 8' ape if I valued my life.

Most hunters hunt in daylight (except for poachers) and many don't get far from the vehicle in case they manage to kill something.

In interviews with Dahinden he's sometimes shown trekking about in broad daylight with a rifle (most sasquatch activity seems to be at night). He never saw one, nor much of anything else, either.

LAL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2007, 08:48 AM   #2036
LAL
Illuminator

LAL, I just read the same article while researching information on the Tlinglit, POW, ABC, and Kodiak islands, and brown bears for my dialogue with Huntster and I'd have to agree that this description:...seems quite a stretch for a sasquatch tradition but a pretty cool mermaid/men tradition. I also noticed that the article really was in need of the cleanup. The part about their slavery and comparative aggressiveness was interesting.
Remember the Silkies of Scottish lore? Were-seals. There's a beautiful song about the Great Silky from Sule Skerrie wonderfully performed by Peter, Paul and Mary (who probably copyrighted it).

Old 16th February 2007, 08:49 AM   #2037
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

Originally Posted by LAL View Post
Green had at least five reports of shootings and there may be more recent ones. In one the hunter emptied his rifle into the back of one as it retreated from a clearing with his deer under one arm.

Personally, I would not pursue a wounded and possibly angry 8' ape if I valued my life.

Most hunters hunt in daylight (except for poachers) and many don't get far from the vehicle in case they manage to kill something.

In interviews with Dahinden he's sometimes shown trekking about in broad daylight with a rifle (most sasquatch activity seems to be at night). He never saw one, nor much of anything else, either.
Yes LAL...I've read all the old books with all of the old stories...thanks for setting me straight there.My apologies I guess not every hunter had an excuse for not shooting one.

Do people who value their life ever pursue injured brown bears though?

My guess is yes....but they don't pursue 8 foot apes...go figure.
Old 16th February 2007, 08:50 AM   #2038
kitakaze

In their respective habitats, how do you think a sasquatch's survival behaviour compares to a brown bear?
Sorry. I missed that question. I'm going pretty fast here dealing with "others."

This question actually relates closely to the question I asked you regarding Kodiak Island/POW Island.

I believe the relationship between sasquatches and brown bears is very similar to the relationship between black bears and brown bears.

I believe sasquatches avoid brown bears like (and for the same reason) black bears (and everything else, except idiots like Timothy Treadwell) avoid them:

Brown bears are nasty, aggressive, powerful, huge, and simply intolerable.

The Kodiak Archipelago, along with the ABC Islands in the Alexander Archipelago (Admiralty, Baranov, and Chichigof) boast the highest densities of brown bears on Earth. Interestingly, the habitat differs a bit. The majority of Kodiak Island itself is not densely forested, but is grassy and brushy (which is typical Alaskan brown bear habitat), but the ABC Islands are densely forested (like POW Island).

Robert Alley has recorded a few sightings on Admiralty Island (I believe it was), but the vast majority of sightings he has recorded in SE Alaska have been on Revelligigedo and POW Islands, where black bears are the only bears inhabiting the islands.
Hi Hunt. I just spent the last few hours studying up on the Tlinglit, POW, ABC an Kodiak islands, and brown bear so hopefully I've got my pants on a bit more there. Thanks for the detailed answer. I was thinking not so much of how sasquatch might react to brown bears but rather how they might compare in there adaptions to their habitats (for example with the brown bear exploitation of salmon runs).

My next question based from your above answer:

What do you think of the fact that the Admiralty Island (Tlinglit- Kootznoowoo 'Fortress of the Bear') which has the highest density of brown bears in NA (estimated 1600 bears on the million-acre island), 955,000 acres of federally protected old growth temperate rainforest, and roughly 650 people (mostly in Angoon) also has sasquatch reports? Specifally a roughly 3 to 1 brown bear/people ratio and sasquatch reports. I'm not saying it's contradictory but I am interested in your thoughts on that.

Anyway, I don't care if you are an 8ft Gigantofrickinpithecus, would you wanna mess with this bad boy?

Old 16th February 2007, 08:52 AM   #2039
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LAL View Post

This is so ridiculous and an example of your extreme credulity. Dude "empties" a rifle into the back of Bigfoot and doesn't have a body. One well-placed shot from a high-powered rifle is probably going to drop the biggie pronto. Emptying a rifle into the torso should result in a dead biggie, even if all of the hits missed the spine. I guess "emptying" might be only a single cartridge which only grazed the fat on the side of the abdomen.
Old 16th February 2007, 08:57 AM   #2040
Mad Hom
Loose Cannon

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
This is so ridiculous and an example of your extreme credulity. Dude "empties" a rifle into the back of Bigfoot and doesn't have a body. One well-placed shot from a high-powered rifle is probably going to drop the biggie pronto. Emptying a rifle into the torso should result in a dead biggie, even if all of the hits missed the spine. I guess "emptying" might be only a single cartridge which only grazed the fat on the side of the abdomen.
Didn't even think of that Parch...excellent point.

A back full of shots and this Bigfeetsus is only...Pissed Off!!?!?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal