ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags sean manchester

Old 27th December 2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

Sean Manchester - Vampire Hunter

Somehow my website has drawn the fire of self proclaimed vampire hunter ( and bishop and Byronic Hero), Sean Manchester. I came back from my Xmas visit to find this on Mondoskepto:

Quote:
Bishop SeŠn Manchester
Submitted by Visitor on December 24, 2006 - 3:08pm.

Obviously the person responsible for such a snide comment requires no evidence and evinces much ignorance. Any anonymous person can claim anything about anyone on the net and that is precisely what has happened with "vampire406" (whoever he/she is). If you wish to discuss the author and exorcist Bishop SeŠn Manchester at least have the courtesy to do so with those who know him and represent him so that slurs and innuendo of the kind proffered by "vampire406" can be properly addressed with some modicum of fact. Try the following discussion group: http://groups.msn.com/306355ti7igqihflhecik1cab4
Being a quiet and charitable person, I wrote a blog entry to poke him. As Manchester is the spectre of a Dim Bulb Award winner yet to come, does anyone have any information on his title of "bishop"? I doubt it's legitimate.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2006, 09:17 PM   #2
SimonD
Rouge Element

Maybe he is intrested in the million dollar prize.....

Though with a quote like "...You will find that nobody dealing with the supernatural is in the business of offering "proof"; only discussion about such evidence which might exist. If proof were readily available it would cease to be the supernatural. It would be natural..." maybe not...
SimonD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2006, 10:40 PM   #3
CLD

Quote:
David Jones: can a vampire change there appearance?

Sean Manchester Yes. One of the most uncanny qualities of the vampire is metamorphosis.
How does he know who is a vampire then?
CLD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2006, 06:45 AM   #4
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

The man is a fruitcake. Manchester has harassed Alex Lucard until Live Journal suspended his account. Lucard is suing Live Journal now over the debacle. Manchester's problem with the man is, if you spell Lucard backwards and add an "a", it spells Dracula. Go figure.

Alex Lucard vs. Sean Manchester

This isn't the first time I've crossed paths with the nutsoball. Years ago I did a Gothic themed website showcasing my depressing photography. I also had a folklore section and displayed links forwarded to me. Manchester emailed me and threatened to sue unless I put "Right Reverend" before his name. Then, he emailed me to the point where I had to block his IP. That's his MO. He's a media hound, but when everyone laughs at his really weird view of the world, he sues. Of course he loses his cases as he is a public figure. I guess life on the dole is very boring.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2006, 07:51 AM   #5
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
does anyone have any information on his title of "bishop"? I doubt it's legitimate.
He's the Bishop of Glastonbury. The title is perfectly legitimate - but only if you regard the "British Old Catholic Church" as legitimate.

More info here, if you like tiny green text on a dark background and here.
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

The man is a fruitcake. Manchester has harassed Alex Lucard until Live Journal suspended his account. Lucard is suing Live Journal now over the debacle. Manchester's problem with the man is, if you spell Lucard backwards and add an "a", it spells Dracula. Go figure.

This isn't the first time I've crossed paths with the nutsoball. Years ago I did a Gothic themed website showcasing my depressing photography. I also had a folklore section and displayed links forwarded to me. Manchester emailed me and threatened to sue unless I put "Right Reverend" before his name. Then, he emailed me to the point where I had to block his IP. That's his MO. He's a media hound, but when everyone laughs at his really weird view of the world, he sues. Of course he loses his cases as he is a public figure. I guess life on the dole is very boring.
Well, isn't it obvious? Alex Lucard, abbreviated is A. Lucard, which is Dracul A. backwards!
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...

Manchester's problem with the man is, if you spell Lucard backwards and add an "a", it spells Dracula. Go figure.

...snip...
You don't need to add an "a" - A Lucard - Dracul a

To me it seems pretty much an open and shut case - Manchester only needs to show the judge this documentary and he'll win the case.
Old 28th December 2006, 08:38 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Damn you Wolfshade!!
Old 28th December 2006, 01:18 PM   #9
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You don't need to add an "a" - A Lucard - Dracul a

To me it seems pretty much an open and shut case - Manchester only needs to show the judge this documentary and he'll win the case.
I think the man overdosed on Hammer Horror films in the 1970's.

Originally Posted by sofia8 View Post
He's the Bishop of Glastonbury. The title is perfectly legitimate - but only if you regard the "British Old Catholic Church" as legitimate.

More info here, if you like tiny green text on a dark background and here.
Thanks for that. It seems all the information link back to Sean Manchester's websites. I'm wondering if this particular branch of the Old Catholic Church exists in the physical world.
Old 28th December 2006, 01:32 PM   #10
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Damn you Wolfshade!!
Mwhahahahaha!

ETA: Hey! No knocking Hammer Horror! I've found memories of watching them on Saturday evenings on USANetwork with my pop.
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2006, 05:32 PM   #11
Big Les
Philosopher

Wow, the slayer/desecrator of the "Highgate Vampire"/random corpses himself. You're privileged!
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2006, 06:29 PM   #12
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Big Les View Post
Wow, the slayer/desecrator of the "Highgate Vampire"/random corpses himself. You're privileged!
I guess it's a high honor. Once, he emailed pictures of himself to me and pestered me to buy his books. I could have lived without that.

Last edited by Miss Whiplash; 28th December 2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 28th December 2006, 07:25 PM   #13
tkingdoll
Penultimate Amazing

Alex Lucard can't be a very smart evil vampire if that's the best cunning disguise he can come up with. "Oooh, I'll spell it backwards, they'll never know it's me!".

And from a shape-shifter, too. I'd have expected better, really. Tsk.
tkingdoll is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2006, 07:57 PM   #14
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I think the man overdosed on Hammer Horror films in the 1970's.

Thanks for that. It seems all the information link back to Sean Manchester's websites. I'm wondering if this particular branch of the Old Catholic Church exists in the physical world.

Actually the Alucard thing (as Count Alucard) was Universal (one of the House of ....films IIRC)
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2006, 08:09 AM   #15
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

I'm trying to get some answers to my questions from Manchester's crowd. It's the most exasperating thing I've ever encountered. He has as many forums as he does webpages. When I post a question on one forum, I'm told it's inappropriate for that particular forum and referred to another.
Old 29th December 2006, 07:17 PM   #16
Rrose Selavy
Stranded in Sub-Atomica

I don't know much about this character other than on the another Forum I often frequent it is not possible to even mention his name any more or discuss certain subjects because of some hoo - har business mostly now deleted which seemed to involve the threat of litigation-

I can't post links yet as I don't have enough posts.

If you look up the Highgate Vampire on Wikipedia you will see the discussion page is much much longer than the article though I've not time to wade through it all . Caught Something about a rumoured "magician's duel" though - I kid you not.

A quick Google has found this webchat from the BBC who really should know better with such gems as:

bbc. co. uk/wales/talkwales/vampiretranscript.shtml

"Mr Papachumba: So how many vampires have you caught?

Sean Manchester - Scores. I have personally exorcised quite a number. Precise number I couldn't tell you. But after 33 years of vampire hunting, quite a few.

Vicx fri: Do u think there are any other explanations for your findings?

Sean Manchester - I can imagine no other explanation than the vampire being a demonic entity which causes the dead to walk beyond the tomb.

Adam: Do you believe in other beasts like werewolves for instance?

Sean Manchester - Yes, I do believe in werewolfs (sic) , and have investigated werewolfism . However, it is not the same as vampirism. "

Glad that's sorted then....

-

Last edited by Rrose Selavy; 29th December 2006 at 07:20 PM.
Rrose Selavy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2006, 05:12 PM   #17
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

Well I took up the invite to join his groups to talk to his highness. I was approved for all of them, then immediately banned before posting.

Now, that's not nice.
Old 30th December 2006, 05:57 PM   #18
Big Les
Philosopher

The man's one clove short of a bulb.
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2007, 07:01 AM   #19
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

This man is still filling up my email box with threats. Now he's up in arms over the pic from National Geographic. He somehow thinks I'm in league with David Farrant.
Old 4th January 2007, 07:29 AM   #20
Timble
Muse

The man threatens to sue, but I don't think he ever gone through with it. In the UK most give up commenting because he's an effing nuisance and our libel laws protect the liars, loonies and frauds if they're litigious enough as the cost of defending a case even if it's laughed out of court is prohibitive

As you appear to be US based I doubt if you've anything to worry about legally...
Timble is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2007, 08:38 AM   #21
JonnyFive
Illuminator

Why do I get the nasty feeling we're going to be seeing this guy on trial for murder in the next few years?

"But yer honor, 'e was a VAMPIRE! I was only stakin' 'im like Jesus said to!"
JonnyFive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2007, 09:08 AM   #22
drapier
Critical Thinker

A few days ago, I saw Manchester on an episode of "Is it Real?" devoted to vampires. With the exception of M's contribution, the show seemed fairly level-headed with regard to the supernaturalism of vampires.

Manchester was wearing a black cassock and a purple monsigneur's cap (the type that you might have seen Barry Fitzgerald wearing in some movie from the '40s.)

They also showed some still photos from Manchester's vampire hunting days in the '70s. They reminded me of what Austin Powers might have looked like if he hung out in a cemetery.
drapier is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2007, 11:11 AM   #23
CLD

Since JREF threads show up in Google search results I guess Bishop Sean himself (or his minions) will soon be making an appearance here to refute any alleged blaspheming.
CLD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2007, 02:54 PM   #24
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

I'm sure he's watching. Somehow I think he does not want to tangle with anything associated with James Randi. I've been told his "legal team" has been advised and will "see to me." Somehow I think that must involve putting little white wigs on a bunch of stray cats.

Of course, all will be forgiven if I call him Dr. and buy his books.
Old 4th January 2007, 03:22 PM   #25
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

As Admin:

Someone identifying himself as "Bishop Sean Manchester" has contacted us via email and asked that "the thread and all reference to me on it is deleted as soon as possible."

At the moment there does not appear to be any reason to do so.
Old 4th January 2007, 03:44 PM   #26
TobiasTheViking
Resident Viking Autist

Well, i think it is odd that Bishop Sean Manchester has a problem with us discussing Bishop Sean Manchester since Bishop Sean Manchester seems like an attention (rule 8) I'm sure Bishop Sean Manchester is absolutely loving the exposure Bishop Sean Manchester is getting.

I also think Bishop Sean Manchester sounds like a loony and i think Bishop Sean Manchester should try to follow some of the positive sides of the bible. Since Bishop Sean Manchester is a Bishop, called Sean Manchester, I'm sure Bishop Sean Manchester has read the bible.

So please, Bishop Sean Manchester, forgive your fellow man, and follow Luke 14:26 as the good fundamentalist Christian you are.

This is a public message from me about Bishop Sean Manchester.

Because Bishop Sean Manchester has asked that all references to Bishop Sean Manchester should be deleted this message will selfdestruct in 0.314159 seconds.

Bishop Sean Manchester, Start behaving like a proper human being, or follow Luke 14:26, you decide, one or the other. (rule 8)
Old 4th January 2007, 03:57 PM   #27
CLD

According to a story I heard from Cuthbert Baginski, an obscure copy editor at the Sioux City Clarion-Tribune, Bishop Sean Manchester is banned for life from Highgate Cemetery and cannot set foot on the grounds or even enter the cafe as he was caught trying to sell his books to the tourists.

I found this photo of Bishop Sean Manchester on the web. It appears to show Bishop Sean Manchester as a frazzled Byronic hero. As a result of reading the article on MondoSkepto.com, I have formed an opinion that he is a silly, silly man in a Bishop costume.

Last edited by CLD; 4th January 2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 4th January 2007, 04:40 PM   #28
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

Darat: If those poor cats in barrister wigs show up, please give them a saucer of milk.

Tobias: Have I told you I love you lately?

CLD: I think the cap is spinning. I have a feeling a "New Blood" will show up soon.

My one regret is I did not give this to Randi in time for his commentary. It's a case in point of educational channels dropping the ball by failing to check credentials and cashing in on the paranormal craze. What was National Geographic thinking?

I must say the more people I call, the stranger this story gets. (Thank you Vonage! Unlimited UK!) It really surpasses the Ray Garton/Ed Warren exposť.
Old 4th January 2007, 04:51 PM   #29
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by CLD View Post
I have formed an opinion that he is a silly, silly man in a Bishop costume.
Personally, I even doubt that he moves diagonally.

Hang in there, Vampire!

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2007, 06:04 PM   #30
Big Les
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CLD View Post
According to a story I heard from Cuthbert Baginski, an obscure copy editor at the Sioux City Clarion-Tribune, Bishop Sean Manchester is banned for life from Highgate Cemetery and cannot set foot on the grounds or even enter the cafe as he was caught trying to sell his books to the tourists.

I found this photo of Bishop Sean Manchester on the web. It appears to show Bishop Sean Manchester as a frazzled Byronic hero. As a result of reading the article on MondoSkepto.com, I have formed an opinion that he is a silly, silly man in a Bishop costume.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2...chesterlk7.jpg
I think I've seen him somewhere other than Highgate you know...
Old 4th January 2007, 06:05 PM   #31
Paul
Illuminator

look out:

It's... The Bishop!
Paul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2007, 06:45 PM   #32
CLD

Clergy-robed kooks...unite!

Old 4th January 2007, 08:13 PM   #33
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

"Mawwiage..."

Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2007, 08:22 PM   #34
bonavada

Once in every generation, a person is chosen and they alone must do battle with the Dynasty of the Vampires.

And they will be named..........

THE VAMPIRE SLAYERS

( Beware: Strong Language, Graphic Crucibles and Shallotism :-} )

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

BV
bonavada is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2007, 07:07 AM   #35
JonnyFive
Illuminator

Somehow I think that must involve putting little white wigs on a bunch of stray cats.
Isn't his crack legal team just adorable in their little white wigs?

Quote:
Of course, all will be forgiven if I call him Dr. and buy his books.
Now you're starting to get it. Of course, you use the word "vampire" in your forum name, so he might just stake you good.
JonnyFive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2007, 07:17 AM   #36
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by JonnyFive View Post
Isn't his crack legal team just adorable in their little white wigs?
Great now I have the idea of uplifted cat lawyers for a scifi setting. Or mabey inteligent cat lawyer farmiliars for a fantasy setting. Hey that could really work with vampire hunter thing.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2007, 07:26 AM   #37
JonnyFive
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Great now I have the idea of uplifted cat lawyers for a scifi setting. Or mabey inteligent cat lawyer farmiliars for a fantasy setting. Hey that could really work with vampire hunter thing.
It'll only work if they're adorable.
Old 5th January 2007, 08:28 AM   #38
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I say stake him. He is a hunter who is a vampire (unless I missed something) so stake him, cut off his head, stuff a garlic clove in his mouth (and just to be safe, stuff another two or three fundamentally).
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2007, 11:24 AM   #39
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JonnyFive View Post
It'll only work if they're adorable.
Old 5th January 2007, 11:31 AM   #40
CLD

Unbelievable! Imageshack took this image down yesterday. The Bishop must have complained. OK. Let's see them take the original down:

Last edited by CLD; 5th January 2007 at 12:21 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal