ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags sean manchester

Reply
Old 17th January 2007, 05:19 AM   #321
Ducky
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,933
[quote=CatherineFearnley;2264162]
Originally Posted by brodski View Post

It would be very interesting to see (or hear of) the evidence which you have collected, and the to discuss how that evidence could be interpreted, and what other possible explanations for the data there may be.

I have not got any evidence to be honest as I do not at the moment go around ghost-hunting as that would be in great conflict with my religious beliefs seeing as I attend a RC Church every week and am getting converted. But that doesn't mean to say that David hasn't got any in his files but I cannot say one way or another if he will write or talk or even post pictures that is upto him.

Which gets into how you define "bishop", knowing a little about how religions are defined and regulated in the UK I suspect that legally Mr Manchester has a right to use the title of bishop. However what that actually means is open to personal interpretation, and whether someone should use the title in relation to Mr Manchester or not is a matter of personal choice (and personal freedom).
I would ask though that we focus on matters directly related to the paranormal rather than the ecclesiastical standing (or otherwise) of Mr Manchester.

When I posted the reply, I was merely answering someone elses post as I felt fit seeing as the post was quoting and replying to my own comments.

You Barbara and David seem to be in a position to offer a different point of view from most of the posters here, and frankly I think we have more interesting and relevant things to talk about than obscure churches. And given Darat's warnings about personal matters and past history, I wouldn’t want to miss the opportunity of asking you, and in particular David, some questions.

I agree with you we all have different view points which is what makes this thread interesting. However the thread is titled Sean Manchester - Vampire Hunter and consequently we are discussing Sean Manchester. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like and we will try to provide an answer if not we'll say so. We won't pretend to know everything. But at least we'll be honest and open and wont hide behind aliases.

Best wishes

Catherine
Sod the evidence. What about these orgies?
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 05:23 AM   #322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 76,911
Mod Warning DavidFarrant - Given the previous posts in this thread and the many allegations made against you I will allow that your comment to remain as it is only fair you are able to respond.

To all: Again let me stress that discussing the claims (about topics appropriate for this Forum) made by anyone is fine, whether that be DavidFarrant, Sean Manchester or anyone else however what I will not allow is this Forum to be used as part of the publicity for any party for a 30 odd year old personal feud.

As a further point: When Sean Manchester (or someone claiming to be him) contacted me via email and requested some posts be removed here I did explain how the views of posters are their own and the JREF is not responsible for the views that are expressed, I also invited him to join to respond to any allegations against him. However he appears not to wish to do that, and just to try and clear this matter up, if Myth Buster is not as he/she claims Sean Manchester then there is definitely some long standing personal or professional link between Myth Buster and Sean Manchester and they have to be well known to one another
Posted By:Darat

Last edited by Darat; 17th January 2007 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Typos
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 05:23 AM   #323
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,574
Originally Posted by bighairygoat View Post
Same question.

What was the original newspaper group the pictures were published in?
It was in Sunday People, Oct 9, 1977, I think. Not to get into this slapping match, but I'm finding a heck of a lot of publicity stunts from the past.

Last edited by Miss Whiplash; 17th January 2007 at 05:26 AM.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 05:24 AM   #324
CatherineFearnley
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 130
Sean Manchester

Originally Posted by Myth Buster View Post
All?

See http://www.independentoldcatholic.org/adclerum+sm.html

The Dutch Old Catholic Church ceased to be Catholic and became Protestant when it signed the Bonn Agreement and entered into full Communion with the Anglican Church.

All other Old Catholic Churches are entirely autocephalous.
Big Deal one Church amongst so many. We have had some very interesting emails from that particular Church. Why is it then that the Independant Catholic Alliance (who used to be the Official Old Catholic Church of the UK) have renounced all their support to the Ad Clerum can you answer that. Also can you answer why all the other Old Catholic Churches do not recognise Manchester.

With regards to Manchester's Church standing or lack of this is my last post on the subject matter it is up to individual members of the board to do their own research. I do not wish to be banned. But I am more then willing to discuss Manchester's wild claims with regards to 'vampires' and their ilk, in particular the giant spider incidence.

Catherine
CatherineFearnley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 05:25 AM   #325
CatherineFearnley
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 130
Sunday People Article

Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
I've found the article and the picture. It was in Sunday People, Oct 9, 1977.

Hi there if anyone else wants a copy just PM me and I'll email it onto you.

Catherine
CatherineFearnley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 05:26 AM   #326
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 76,911
Mod WarningIf Sean Manchester has made the claim that he holds a specific title then it is quite acceptable on this Forum to seek evidence for such a claim or to attempt to prove that he does not hold such a title. This is true for anyone.
Posted By:Darat
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 05:27 AM   #327
CatherineFearnley
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 130
Orgies

[quote=fowlsound;2264165]
Originally Posted by CatherineFearnley View Post

Sod the evidence. What about these orgies?
Don't know wasn't there at the time.

Catherine
CatherineFearnley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 05:29 AM   #328
Ducky
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,933
[quote=CatherineFearnley;2264184]
Originally Posted by fowlsound View Post

Don't know wasn't there at the time.

Catherine
I was of course being cheeky.





(unless there were suck activities, then I was being a pig...)
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 05:33 AM   #329
catbasket
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,476
Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
It was in Sunday People, Oct 9, 1977, I think.
Ok, but Myth Buster states the Sunday People stole the pics from the original publisher ... and seems reluctant to tell us who the original publisher was. Was it The Sun, Daily Mirror, who?
catbasket is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 05:55 AM   #330
Ducky
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,933
Originally Posted by bighairygoat View Post
Ok, but Myth Buster states the Sunday People stole the pics from the original publisher ... and seems reluctant to tell us who the original publisher was. Was it The Sun, Daily Mirror, who?
Indeed, and also I've yet to see why posing in a Nazi uniform was necessary at all given the problems that could arise out of people using the pictures to discredit Mr. Manchester later, and given that it was a piece intended for print.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 05:59 AM   #331
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,574
Originally Posted by bighairygoat View Post
Ok, but Myth Buster states the Sunday People stole the pics from the original publisher ... and seems reluctant to tell us who the original publisher was. Was it The Sun, Daily Mirror, who?

I have a feeling, before all this is over, I'm going to find some conspiracy between Manchester, Bat Boy, Big Foot living an Arkansas trailer park and the Weekly News of the World.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 06:04 AM   #332
Ducky
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,933
Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
I have a feeling, before all this is over, I'm going to find some conspiracy between Manchester, Bat Boy, Big Foot living an Arkansas trailer park and the Weekly News of the World.
Weekly World News

[So I Married An Axe Murderer]

Charlie: Mom I find it amusing that you refer to the Weekly World News as "the paper." "The paper" contains facts.

Mom: This paper contains facts! Pregnant man gives birth! That's a fact! And this paper has the 8th highest circulation in the world!

[/So I Married An Axe Murderer]





ETA: This headline off the webpage makes me laugh out loud:

Quote:
Mermaids Protest Insufficient Sea Pollution
By George Gowan January 16, 2007

MANHATTAN, N.Y.--The mermaid Azura surprised the Clean Seas Institute by announcing her people's extreme displeasure with the anti-pollution group's activities.

"Pollution provides the basis of many Mer-technologies," she said. "You know, we still haven't discovered fire down there."
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 06:08 AM   #333
brodski
Tea-Time toad
 
brodski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,516
Originally Posted by CatherineFearnley View Post

I have not got any evidence to be honest as I do not at the moment go around ghost-hunting as that would be in great conflict with my religious beliefs seeing as I attend a RC Church every week and am getting converted. But that doesn't mean to say that David hasn't got any in his files but I cannot say one way or another if he will write or talk or even post pictures that is up to him.
Ok, my misunderstanding. I intend to open another thread where, hopefully, David can shed some light on his beliefs and evidence, without it getting bogged down with allegations of past misconduct or a continuation of this 30 year old feud.

Quote:
When I posted the reply, I was merely answering someone elses post as I felt fit seeing as the post was quoting and replying to my own comments.
I know, it was mroe of a general plea.

Quote:
I agree with you we all have different view points which is what makes this thread interesting. However the thread is titled Sean Manchester - Vampire Hunter and consequently we are discussing Sean Manchester. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like and we will try to provide an answer if not we'll say so. We won't pretend to know everything. But at least we'll be honest and open and wont hide behind aliases.

Best wishes

Catherine
I'll start a new thread, and look forward to some interesting discussions
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 06:18 AM   #334
CatherineFearnley
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 130
No Misunderstanding

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
Ok, my misunderstanding. I intend to open another thread where, hopefully, David can shed some light on his beliefs and evidence, without it getting bogged down with allegations of past misconduct or a continuation of this 30 year old feud.

There was no misunderstanding brodski it's just that I haven't mentioned my religious beliefs as I didn't see the need to. I can't really say that David will or he won't shed some light on his beliefs that is really upto him but I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't mind.

I know, it was mroe of a general plea.

Sorry and I will adhere to that plea.


I'll start a new thread, and look forward to some interesting discussions
Me too. You go for it if possible. Send us a link to thread when it's created. I'm sure that Barbara would like to join in also.

If Manchester is claiming to stake vampires why does he not take up the James Randi Challenge?
CatherineFearnley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 06:19 AM   #335
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,574
Originally Posted by brodski View Post
Ok, my misunderstanding. I intend to open another thread where, hopefully, David can shed some light on his beliefs and evidence, without it getting bogged down with allegations of past misconduct or a continuation of this 30 year old feud.

I know, it was mroe of a general plea.


I'll start a new thread, and look forward to some interesting discussions
Good idea. I'm getting confused.

I'd like clarification of this statement by Myth Buster:


Quote:
Lestat Lioncourt: what sort of evidence do you seem to find to support your theories?

Sean Manchester: I don't deal in theory - at least I haven't done so since 30-odd years ago when I first confronted a real vampire. This isn't theory - this is fact.


Ok, what are the facts?
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 06:25 AM   #336
Ducky
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,933
Originally Posted by CatherineFearnley View Post
If Manchester is claiming to stake vampires why does he not take up the James Randi Challenge?
That's the million dollar question, love. If Manchester has indeed staked a vampire, then I for one would love to see his evidence for the following statement (source quoted from The Vampire's post):

Quote:
Sean Manchester: I don't deal in theory - at least I haven't done so since 30-odd years ago when I first confronted a real vampire. This isn't theory - this is fact.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 06:30 AM   #337
brodski
Tea-Time toad
 
brodski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,516
I have started a thread here to ask David Farrant some questions, unrelated (hopefully) to the issues between him and Mr Manchester.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=72719
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 07:13 AM   #338
AWPrime
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,926
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Great now I have the idea of uplifted cat lawyers for a scifi setting. Or mabey inteligent cat lawyer farmiliars for a fantasy setting. Hey that could really work with vampire hunter thing.
One name: Catbert
__________________
Sir Arthur C. Clarke - "Any sufficiently advanced technology, to the uninformed observer, is indistinguishable from magic."
c4ts - "Jesus loves the little children, Nice and fat and honey roasted..."
Lancastic = Demonstrative of outstanding personal effort in the exposing of frauds.
Rob Lister - "The enemy of my enemy probably tastes yummy. "
AWPrime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 07:23 AM   #339
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,574
I've started my thread as well. Hopefully, we will have civil answers and not laspe into a free-for-all.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 08:26 AM   #340
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,213
One simple question for Mythbuster:

Darat has previously repeatedly asked you to clarify any connections to Sean Manchester which you evasively have not directly clarified.

Lothian asked you directly if you are Sean Manchester but made the mistake of giving you an out by saying 'you are free to tell me I'm wrong', which you did.

My question- Are you, the person posting on this board by the handle 'Myth Buster' in actuality Sean Manchester? Yes or no. If you answer no yet it is proven you are in fact he you will have lost any credit you would hope to have in making your case.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 08:28 AM   #341
Moochie
Philosopher
 
Moochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,491
Originally Posted by sophia8 View Post
He's the Bishop of Glastonbury. The title is perfectly legitimate - but only if you regard the "British Old Catholic Church" as legitimate.

More info here, if you like tiny green text on a dark background and here.
What an astoundingly awful design! Ugh!

M.
Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 08:35 AM   #342
Skeptic Guy
Raccoon Death Squad Leader
 
Skeptic Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,990
Originally Posted by DavidFarrant View Post
<SNIP> \

But then how come you (I) are saying all this when you have been on the television in the past ‘armed’ with a cross and a stake and portrayed as if you (myself again) were ‘hunting vampires?

<SNIP>

The police arrested myself and attributed a statement to me that I did not, in fact, make.
This unsigned statement was to the effect that ‘I’ . . . intended to search out the ‘King vampire’, opening coffins if necessary, and when I had found it, I would have driven a wooden stake through its heart and then run away. This is what the police maintained what I had said during my first Court appearance and not surprisingly, this was picked up by the world-wide Press and I became branded as a ‘vampire’ (which I am not, I am a psychic investigator).
At my final Court appearance, I rigorously denied having said anything like this to the police, and fought the case accordingly. The magistrate concluded that he was satisified I had not intended ‘to break open coffins’ and I was subsequently acquitted – as in ‘not guilty’.
Well, BBC television were doing a programme on the Highgate Cemetery sightings, and they asked me to appear on this to be interviewed, and they also wanted me to be filmed ‘stalking through the gravestones’ with a cross and a stake. This programme was filmed and televised on October 15th 1970.
Much has been made of the fact over the years (mainly by just one person), that if I did not believe vampires existed, what ws I doing been filmed supposedly ‘hunting’ them?
My answer to this has always been, that I was acting in a reconstruction that the television wanted following my well published Court case. My attitude at the time was that in participating in such a reconstruction of seen events, it would also be ‘one in the eye’ for the police who had tried to ‘set me up’ in the first place.
I have also often explained that appearing in this programme did not necessarily mean that I accepted the literal existence of vampires; anymore than you could argue that the late Peter Cushing believed that Christopher Lee was a real live vampire! No. It is of course a nonsense.
The bottom line is, I do NOT accept the existence of ‘blood-sucking vampires’ Some other people might (even claimed to have ‘staked’ them. But I can only say, that such people are really the ones with a problem (most likely a serious mental one).
<SNIP>
I'm confused, if, as you say, the statements attributed to you about being either a vampire or vampire hunter were false. And you were participating in a "documentary" about the event in question. Why would you continue the misunderstanding by posing in the documentary as a vampire hunter replete with the necessary costume and accoutrement's? I assume this show was supposed to be an accurate representation of the Highgate incident and as such should only contain factual information. It would have been in your best interest to make sure of that. To compare it with a vampire movie staring Christopher Lee is misleading. One is factual and one is fantasy.

Originally Posted by Myth Buster View Post
I did seek clarification from the moderators four or five hours ago as to whether I could respond to this rumour, but have not yet received a response, so I will keep it short. Sean Manchester was a professional photographer and writer who was commissioned in 1977 to do a series on the Nazi-Occult connection by a newspaper group. When the first of the three part feature was published, the Sunday People stole some of the images and used them in a spoiler. Compensation was paid to Sean Manchester for copyright infringement as he is the sole copyright owner of these images. The original newspaper group were given only one reproduction right to use the pictures which expired after publication. They, too, complained about the spoiler and much of the misrepresentation within it.
Again, like my quetion to David, why would Sean dress up in a Nazi uniform for a supposed factual series of stories on the "Nazi-Occult connection"? What purpose would it serve? Playing dress-up for something like that might be perceived as silly by some.

There is a decided propensity for fantasy here, IMO.

[quote=fowlsound;2264185]
Originally Posted by CatherineFearnley View Post

I was of course being cheeky.





(unless there were suck activities, then I was being a pig...)
I hoping that was a typo Fowlsound!

Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
I have a feeling, before all this is over, I'm going to find some conspiracy between Manchester, Bat Boy, Big Foot living an Arkansas trailer park and the Weekly News of the World.
No, Bat Boy is right here with me and denies any connection.
__________________
"Our history is in part a battle to the death of inadequate myths" - Carl Sagan

Even Mother TeresaWP doubted.
Skeptic Guy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 08:47 AM   #343
Ducky
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,933
Originally Posted by Skeptic Guy View Post
Again, like my quetion to David, why would Sean dress up in a Nazi uniform for a supposed factual series of stories on the "Nazi-Occult connection"? What purpose would it serve? Playing dress-up for something like that might be perceived as silly by some.
Especially for something going to print. It is one thing to do such activities for a TV show with a dramatization or something to that effect, but to print?

Originally Posted by Skeptic Guy View Post
There is a decided propensity for fantasy here, IMO.
Honestly (to me) this thread is like watching kids argue over who the better WWF wrestler is at times...



Originally Posted by Skeptic Guy View Post
I hoping that was a typo Fowlsound!
Oh dear. how Freudian of me.



Originally Posted by Skeptic Guy View Post
No, Bat Boy is right here with me and denies any connection.
Yes, but what about that pregnant man?
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 08:54 AM   #344
Skeptic Guy
Raccoon Death Squad Leader
 
Skeptic Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,990
Quote:
Honestly (to me) this thread is like watching kids argue over who the better WWF wrestler is at times...
It's "The Rock", of course! And I fail to see what the WWE has to do with fantasy! It's real, silly.

Quote:
Yes, but what about that pregnant man?
That would be me. People just assume it's a beer gut. I deny any connection too. Just three more months and I have my girlish figure back.
__________________
"Our history is in part a battle to the death of inadequate myths" - Carl Sagan

Even Mother TeresaWP doubted.
Skeptic Guy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 09:45 AM   #345
Moochie
Philosopher
 
Moochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,491
Anyone with a stake in this should visit brodski's and The Vampire's threads -- they're suffering an attention deficit.



M.
Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:10 AM   #346
Myth Buster
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 87
Missing post

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
Same question. Also, why didn't you just say this straight off?
I did, as it happens, but for some reason the first post I sent failed to appear and I was obliged to log in again. Perhaps the moderators might be able to explain what happened to my original post which, more or less, resembled the one I amended it to anyway.
Myth Buster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:14 AM   #347
brodski
Tea-Time toad
 
brodski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,516
Originally Posted by Myth Buster View Post
I did, as it happens, but for some reason the first post I sent failed to appear and I was obliged to log in again. Perhaps the moderators might be able to explain what happened to my original post which, more or less, resembled the one I amended it to anyway.
I am not a moderator but…
If you had to log in again, then it is likely that you had had the reply box open so long whilst you wrote your post that you where counted as "inactive" and logged out, the post is lost. If you wish to avoid this in future either
a) write your posts in word or equivalent and copy/paste them into your browser. Or
b) enable cookies and tick the box which says "remember me", that way you won't get automatically logged out.

How's the research into laws on inciting religious hatred going?
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:17 AM   #348
Paul
Illuminator
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by Myth Buster View Post
I did, as it happens
This is precisely the reason we keep asking you for clarification; you seem to find it impossible to provide a straight answer to a straight question.
Paul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:18 AM   #349
Myth Buster
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by bighairygoat View Post
Ok, but Myth Buster states the Sunday People stole the pics from the original publisher ... and seems reluctant to tell us who the original publisher was. Was it The Sun, Daily Mirror, who?
The newspaper group was the Westminster Group who own the Finchley Times, Hendon Times, Borehamwood Post etc. The feature was syndicated in all the north London newspapers owned by this group. None of the people in Nazi uniforms or wearing swastikas was Sean Manchester. He was the photo-journalist who was commissioned to do the story. The claim that he was one of the Nazis arises from the same quarter as always.
Myth Buster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:30 AM   #350
Myth Buster
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 87
Ad Clerum

Originally Posted by CatherineFearnley View Post
Why is it then that the Independant Catholic Alliance (who used to be the Official Old Catholic Church of the UK) have renounced all their support to the Ad Clerum can you answer that. Also can you answer why all the other Old Catholic Churches do not recognise Manchester.
First, it is not true that the ICA "used to be the Official Old Catholic Church of the UK." They have never been the Official anything. They have only been in existence for a couple of years or so. Second, it is untrue to say that "the other Old Catholic Churches do not recognsie Manchester." Third, I put your question about the Ad Clerum to the British Old Catholic Church (without mentioning this forum) and their answer to me follows:

The ICA has withdrawn its names from the Ad Clerum issued last month. Hence the names "Kemp" and "Scruton" on the Ad Clerum should be ignored. The Independent Old Catholic Church, however, adheres to the Ad Clerum.

The Independent Old Catholic Church has ended its concordat and indeed all contact with the ICA. The British Old Catholic Church held no concordat with the ICA. Ecclesia Apostolica Jesu Christi, likewise, has had no concordat with the ICA due to the latter's uncanonical and unscriptural stance on sacerdotal and sacramental matters.

Traditional Old Catholics do not recognise Canon 11 of the ICA's "canon law" which states that women can become priests and bishops. It questions Canon 12 which dictates that "all clergy will conform and obey the laws of the country where they reside." This could result in clergy obeying laws which are in direct conflict with God's Law. Such conflicts have arisen with Communist regimes and are still occurring in some Muslim countries. The ICA also accepts as clergy those in sexual relationships outside the Christian sacrament of marriage (which can only be one man with one woman). Homosexual relationships, therefore, present no bar to ICA clergy and laity. This acceptance on the part of the ICA of non-married persons in the Christian meaning of that word, who are nevertheless sexually active, is against the teachings of Holy Scripture and the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Bishop Manchester is greatly relieved to discover the removal of the Most Rev'd Phillip R Kemp and the Rev'd Simon Scruton from the Ad Clerum.
Myth Buster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:34 AM   #351
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 76,911
And the only people the People's Front of Judea hate more than the Romans is....
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:39 AM   #352
Myth Buster
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 87
Why indeed?

Originally Posted by Skeptic Guy View Post
Why would Sean dress up in a Nazi uniform for a supposed factual series of stories on the "Nazi-Occult connection"? What purpose would it serve? Playing dress-up for something like that might be perceived as silly by some.
He didn't.
Myth Buster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:45 AM   #353
brodski
Tea-Time toad
 
brodski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,516
Originally Posted by Myth Buster View Post
He didn't.
How's the research into laws on inciting religious hatred going?

Will you support your charge that posts on this forum constituted hate crimes against Mr Manchester, or will you withdraw your change and apologise?
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:46 AM   #354
Myth Buster
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 87
I am not on trial and do not have to give account of myself any more than you do

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
One simple question for Mythbuster: My question- Are you, the person posting on this board by the handle 'Myth Buster' in actuality Sean Manchester? Yes or no.
No, as I have repeatedly informed the moderators privately.
Myth Buster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:47 AM   #355
greenwych
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 17
As my posts have been moved elsehwere I will bid you all adieau as I cant keep track of the discussion with this happening, I hope this does not disappear if it does i will ask Catherine or David to pass on the message,

greenwych
greenwych is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:48 AM   #356
CatherineFearnley
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 130
Myth Buster, That is a total LIE.

The picture showing Manchester (and it is without a shadow of doubt him) was circulated all over the internet and various pathetic attempts to get rid of it have been made including:

Pretending that it was part of a research project
Pretending that he was set up by Pope
Sending defamatory posts to the boards in question about HIMSELF in the hope that they would remove material (although they just saw through him and held him to ridicule).

To pretend that the photo is not him is all too desperate for words. We can clearly see his entire face for heaven's sake!!!!!

You are a LIAR.

Last edited by CatherineFearnley; 17th January 2007 at 10:53 AM.
CatherineFearnley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:50 AM   #357
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,154
Originally Posted by Myth Buster View Post
He didn't.
For clarification, are you saying

a) "He didn't" dress up in a Nazi uniform
or
b) "He didn't" dress up in a Nazi uniform for a supposed factual series of stories on the "Nazi-Occult connection"

Thanks in advance.
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 11:25 AM   #358
Paul
Illuminator
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And the only people the People's Front of Judea hate more than the Romans is....
Splitter!
Paul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 11:26 AM   #359
Paul
Illuminator
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 3,070
Originally Posted by Myth Buster View Post
No, as I have repeatedly informed the moderators privately.
That doesn't help the rest of us much, does it?
Paul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 11:31 AM   #360
DavidFarrant
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 392
Nazi query

For Arkan Wolfshade,

I don't really think it fair to expect Catherine to keep answering this Nazi business in public. Why don't you e-mail her and she will send you a copy of the article then you can see for yourself. Or anyone else can for that matter.

I will answer Skeptic Guy's point about my 'vampire arrest' later. I have not forgotten but I will fill in a little more detail later, considering so much nonsense has been written about it.

But for now,

David
DavidFarrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:11 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.