ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ufo

Old 1st January 2007, 12:31 PM   #1
firecoins
Illuminator

UFO over O'Hare

Thats right. A UFO tried to land at O'Hare but the country's busiest airport had no place for them to land.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...nworldiraq-hed
firecoins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Quote:
All the witnesses said the object was dark gray and well defined in the overcast skies. They said the craft, estimated by different accounts to be 6 feet to 24 feet in diameter, did not display any lights.

Some said it looked like a rotating Frisbee, while others said it did not appear to be spinning. All agreed the object made no noise and it was at a fixed position in the sky, just below the 1,900-foot cloud deck, until shooting off into the clouds.
Where do I learn how to estimate the diameter of a disk at 1,900 feet?

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Slimething
Illuminator

Quote:
"To fly 7 million light years to O'Hare and then have to turn around and go home because your gate was occupied is simply unacceptable," said O'Hare controller and union official Craig Burzych.
My favorite quote from the article. Many thanks to Mr. Burzych for summing up the controversy!
Slimething is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 03:57 PM   #4
hcmom
Tagger

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
Where do I learn how to estimate the diameter of a disk at 1,900 feet?

~~ Paul
If I were you, I'd start somewhere other than the group of people that estimated it with differences from a six foot diameter to a twenty-four foot diameter...

hcmom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 04:00 PM   #5
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I love this one:

Quote:
"I tend to be scientific by nature, and I don't understand why aliens would hover over a busy airport," said a United mechanic who was in the cockpit of a Boeing 777 that he was taxiing to a maintenance hangar when he observed the metallic-looking object above Gate C17.

"But I know that what I saw and what a lot of other people saw stood out very clearly, and it definitely was not an [Earth] aircraft," the mechanic said.
Oh yeah, reeeeeally scientific...

As are most mechanics.
Old 1st January 2007, 04:05 PM   #6
firecoins
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Slimething View Post
My favorite quote from the article. Many thanks to Mr. Burzych for summing up the controversy!
you don't mess with the Unions in Chicago. These aliens better watch out cause they will disappear for real!
firecoins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 04:09 PM   #7
firecoins
Illuminator

In the days of camera phones, digital camers and camcorders, its really amazing no one has even a grainy photo of it, especially at an airport! Your would figure that there are security cameras looking at the airfield as well as sky in the dirction of takeoffs and landings too!
Old 1st January 2007, 04:14 PM   #8
latent aaaack
Muse

"One United employee appeared emotionally shaken by the sighting and "experienced some religious issues" over it, one co-worker said."

Because if there's a God, how could he just sit back and allow something as horrible as a grey disc sitting in the sky to happen? Doesn't make sense.

Shouldn't that bolster a religious viewpoint, that crazy stuff can just be poofed into existence without needing any explanation? I would've thought that seeing a UFO would comfort a believer.
latent aaaack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 04:23 PM   #9
Huntster
Banned

Originally Posted by latent aaaack View Post
"One United employee appeared emotionally shaken by the sighting and "experienced some religious issues" over it, one co-worker said."

Because if there's a God, how could he just sit back and allow something as horrible as a grey disc sitting in the sky to happen? Doesn't make sense.

Shouldn't that bolster a religious viewpoint, that crazy stuff can just be poofed into existence without needing any explanation? I would've thought that seeing a UFO would comfort a believer.
Never been afraid of the unknown?
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 04:27 PM   #10
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Huntster View Post
Not when it's a UFO scared off the airport because it was too busy...

Hunt, please tell me you don't buy into UFOs.
Old 1st January 2007, 04:38 PM   #11
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Uh oh! Move it to the Conspiracy Boards! The gubmint is trying to cover it up.

Quote:
Federal agency backtracks

Like United, the FAA originally told the Tribune that it had no information on the alleged UFO sighting. But the federal agency quickly reversed its position after the newspaper filed a Freedom of Information Act request.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 04:41 PM   #12
American

The distinction is not one that most skeptics accept:

Miracles have a certain "poofiness" about them - they are things that happen without reason, and always attributed to faith.

UFOs, if they do exist, are based on technology and science that's advanced further than our own. There is no "poof" to them.

Most often, "If they do exist," is not even considered in skeptical forums.
American is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 05:01 PM   #13
latent aaaack
Muse

Originally Posted by American View Post
The distinction is not one that most skeptics accept:

Miracles have a certain "poofiness" about them - they are things that happen without reason, and always attributed to faith.

UFOs, if they do exist, are based on technology and science that's advanced further than our own. There is no "poof" to them.

Most often, "If they do exist," is not even considered in skeptical forums.
The point is they're accustomed to believing in phenomena much weirder than a spacecraft and to not needing to think about ramifications or explanations of anything. Unless it's like learning you have a new brother that your parents might like more, I don't get the "religious issues" that existence of aliens would provoke.

I can't think of a paranormal phenomenon with less potential ramifications than aliens that are impossible to prove or learn anything about.
latent aaaack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 05:05 PM   #14
Huntster
Banned

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntster
Not when it's a UFO scared off the airport because it was too busy...
Have you ever seen a UFO scared off the airport because it was too busy?

Quote:
Hunt, please tell me you don't buy into UFOs.
Of course I do. What's so difficult to "buy into" about unidentified flying objects?

I've seen several. I've even seen unidentified non-flying objects, and as my eyes fail more and more with age, I'll probably see a whole lot more of both in the future.

Were they spaceships filled with little green men?

I'm "highly skeptical" of that.

But I don't know. So I'm not going to make a fool of myself saying that I do.
Huntster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 06:45 PM   #15
American

Unless it's like learning you have a new brother that your parents might like more, I don't get the "religious issues" that existence of aliens would provoke.
That might be a good analogy.

I think a lot of religious people aren't true believers, they just practice it (and lie to themselves) in order to feel good. Seeing a "real" UFO would force them to realize there's no mysterious universe, instead only one based on hard science.

Of course a true believer would be just fine, secure in their faith that God is still in command.
American is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 07:13 PM   #16
Patricio Elicer
Obsessed with Reality

Originally Posted by firecoins View Post
In the days of camera phones, digital camers and camcorders, its really amazing no one has even a grainy photo of it, especially at an airport! Your would figure that there are security cameras looking at the airfield as well as sky in the dirction of takeoffs and landings too!
As I was scrolling down the thread I was thinking exactly the same thing. No pictures? hmmm, odd.

Another fantastic case where we just have testimonies to rely on, why the hell there's never the "hard evidence" for all of us to examine?
Old 1st January 2007, 07:17 PM   #17
thatguywhojuggles
Graduate Poster

nothing here, move along...
thatguywhojuggles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 07:35 PM   #18
Patricio Elicer
Obsessed with Reality

Here are seemingly two independant pictures of the UFO. Too good to be true?. If these are true pics of the object, then the case may be worth paying attention.
Old 1st January 2007, 07:50 PM   #19
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Patricio Elicer View Post
Here are seemingly two independant pictures of the UFO. Too good to be true?. If these are true pics of the object, then the case may be worth paying attention.
Here, I'll run that through the Gizmo........

Old 1st January 2007, 07:54 PM   #20
SezMe
post-pre-born

Hmpf. Pics shown more than 3 weeks after the incident, sent to a UFO nuttiness site by an anonymous person who refuses to state his employer. Hmmm, why am I suspicious?

ETA: If a picture is worth a thousand words, The Atheist is way ahead of me.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 08:03 PM   #21
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Ok, I'll buy that.

I was a bit worried that you were off to Area 51, or whatever number it is.

I figure that if the little green men are smart enough to travel the billions of miles to Earth, they'd most likely say hi while they were here.
Old 1st January 2007, 08:39 PM   #22
Trig
New Blood

I know it's generally accepted now that UFO (aliens) believers are crazy. I know in the USA it's a pretty common thing to believe you've been abducted. Maybe people really want to be special, so much so they crave the attention they receive when making such a claim.

However they could be right, and one day all the skeptics will be eating their hats in preparation for when the flying saucer lands, and they come and eat our brains.

Who knows? Well you would think the government did, and they keep telling us that they don't. But you would also think they would have a legitimate explanation for such occurances, and would be able to convince the people what they really are.

If someone could explain the phenomena, and replicate it, then I would be totally convinced that it isn't aliens visiting. Whilst they cannot, I am open to believe it is: a funny cloud, someones funky frisbee, birds carrying a trash can lid, aliens in their space ship, military test craft, a prankster having fun at the gullible peoples expense.. and so on.

You can't discredit something whilst you have nothing to back it up, and vice versa.

I'm not a firm believer of the existence of extraterrestrials who our visiting our world, but I am open to the idea. It is feasible, however unlikely.

If you said to anyone 100 years ago that we would have space stations and regular trips to planets in our system, they would think your are crazy. One day, maybe, something will come visit us, and realise how technologically inferior we are.
Trig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 09:23 PM   #23
Patricio Elicer
Obsessed with Reality

Originally Posted by Trig View Post
I know it's generally accepted now that UFO (aliens) believers are crazy. I know in the USA it's a pretty common thing to believe you've been abducted. Maybe people really want to be special, so much so they crave the attention they receive when making such a claim.

However they could be right, and one day all the skeptics will be eating their hats in preparation for when the flying saucer lands, and they come and eat our brains.

Who knows? Well you would think the government did, and they keep telling us that they don't. But you would also think they would have a legitimate explanation for such occurances, and would be able to convince the people what they really are.

If someone could explain the phenomena, and replicate it, then I would be totally convinced that it isn't aliens visiting. Whilst they cannot, I am open to believe it is: a funny cloud, someones funky frisbee, birds carrying a trash can lid, aliens in their space ship, military test craft, a prankster having fun at the gullible peoples expense.. and so on.

You can't discredit something whilst you have nothing to back it up, and vice versa.

I'm not a firm believer of the existence of extraterrestrials who our visiting our world, but I am open to the idea. It is feasible, however unlikely.

If you said to anyone 100 years ago that we would have space stations and regular trips to planets in our system, they would think your are crazy. One day, maybe, something will come visit us, and realise how technologically inferior we are.
I agree with your views, but this particular case smells like a hoax to me, judging by the pics I linked above. There are quite a few reasons to think it's a hoax, some of them have been mentioned before, but the most compelling to me is that there are tens of pictures of the kind already proven to be hoaxes.

Anyway, I'd love to be proven wrong ....
Old 1st January 2007, 09:44 PM   #24
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

That, and I think the anal probes are a big selling point.
Mmmm, fricasseed brains.
Look, I know your government has the odd problem - Iraq, North Korea, an imbecile as President, but inability to explain hoaxes, hysteria and downright lunacy shouldn't really count against them
Same applies - if you want to replicate the deal, try 3 or 4 days on a savia divornum and don't have any sleep. That should put your brain into the same mush-like state as UFO abductees.
You can't discredit delusions? Well, you can, it's just difficult because the people with the delusions don't usually realise they're deluded. It's like debunking god - it's very hard to disprove a non-existent entity. Try disproving the existence of the Tooth Fairy while you're at it.
Now you're onto it - of course it's possible. I'd personally love to meet a couple. Hitching a ride back with them is an attractive idea.
Not sure that's correct, actually, early sci-fi dealt with this sort of thing right back to the 1600s
Quote:
Imaginary voyages to the moon in the 17th century, first in Johannes Kepler's Somnium (The Dream, 1634), and then in Cyrano de Bergerac's Comical History of the States and Empires of the Moon (1656). Space travel also figures prominently in Voltaire's Micromégas (1752).
Old 1st January 2007, 09:52 PM   #25
Trig
New Blood

Yes, but this was science fiction right? and ufo's and aliens are science fiction now right? I stand by my original point.

I just think its unfair to dismiss everything at the glance of the content, and from what I have viewed throughtout these boards, I see alot of peoples 5 word posts, or posts that just state 'BULLSH*T'.

Last edited by Trig; 1st January 2007 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Rephrasing
Trig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 09:58 PM   #26
Huntster
Banned

Quote:

Ok, I'll buy that.

I was a bit worried that you were off to Area 51, or whatever number it is.
I always wanted to go there, just to screw with security..........

.....you know; get painted up and crawl up to good optical range, just to see if they'd catch me.

Quote:
I figure that if the little green men are smart enough to travel the billions of miles to Earth, they'd most likely say hi while they were here.
Maybe not.

We might not be "friendly natives."
Old 1st January 2007, 10:16 PM   #27
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

.....you know; get painted up and crawl up to good optical range, just to see if they'd catch me.
Nah, they'd just think you were Santa checking out for new propulsion to replace the reindeer.
Maybe not.

We might not be "friendly natives."
True. They might realise that shoot first is a good option!
Old 1st January 2007, 10:30 PM   #28
Huntster
Banned

Quote:

Nah, they'd just think you were Santa checking out for new propulsion to replace the reindeer.
Ho, ho, ho!
Old 1st January 2007, 10:58 PM   #29
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Anybody else here old enough to remember the old Sid Caesar show, and his character Progress Hornsby? No no, you can't land here. We're all full up!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 11:08 PM   #30
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

The first picture looks nothing at all like the second picture.
The second picture looks very much like a lenticular cloud.
I have no idea what might create a low-level wave condition around O'Hare.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2007, 11:20 PM   #31
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by TjW View Post
I have no idea what might create a low-level wave condition around O'Hare.
Photoshop.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 06:39 AM   #32
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Quote:
At approximately 16:30 p.m. (Central) on Tuesday, November 07, 2006, Federal authorities at O'Hare Airport received a report that approximately a dozen witnesses were observing a small, round disc-shaped object, metallic in appearance, which hovered over Gate C17 at that airport.
It's 1,900 feet in the air, but it's "over Gate C17"?

Quote:
At the end of that time, the object was seen to suddenly accelerate straight up at a very rapid pace, and it "shot" through the solid overcast, which was at 1,900 feet at the time. The witness added that the object appeared to leave a "hole" in the clouds, where it had streaked upwards through the overcast.
Aha, first it was low, then it shot up through the clouds, leaving a hole. Sounds like shadow effects of lenticular clouds.

Quote:
we observed a dark gray hazy round object hovering over head C Terminal and holding very steady and near the cloud cover.
Now it's up at 1,900 feet but "over head C Terminal."

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 07:00 AM   #33
baron

I don't understand where those two photos came from. The second one is 100% unquestionably fake. Not only that it was faked by someone totally unfamiliar with photography and digital manipulation.

The first one may or may not be fake, but it is certainly not a photo of what was described. There are two options ~

1) The object was very small in the original photo and was cropped and blown up for display. This sounds fine until you examine the extreme gradient of the background sky. This would manifest almost as a sharp cut-off in the original photo and is certainly not consistent with overcast conditions. There are even defined cloud-like structures bottom left.

2) The object was large in the photograph. However, witnesses said clearly that this was not so.

Therefore, as relates to this event, they are bogus.

If these photos are genuinely related to the reports then I'm afraid the whole thing is a fake. If not, the report is quite interesting (despite the somewhat childish derision it received from some quarters)
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 07:04 AM   #34
Trig
New Blood

I think the second looks more like a cloud
Old 2nd January 2007, 09:13 AM   #35
American

I can't think of a paranormal phenomenon with less potential ramifications than aliens that are impossible to prove or learn anything about.
I thought of this a bit, and I now change some of my argument--

The fact is: seeing a real UFO could be absolutely terrifying to a lot of people, both religious and atheist alike.

Some might take it lightly. Others would be un-nerved, but they'd still handle it maturely... Still, many folks would just freak out and "lose it".

So clinging to one's religion, whether or not they believed strongly, might be the right reaction for someone scared s--tless.
Old 2nd January 2007, 10:18 AM   #36
Skeptic Guy
Raccoon Death Squad Leader

Originally Posted by American View Post
I thought of this a bit, and I now change some of my argument--

The fact is: seeing a real UFO could be absolutely terrifying to a lot of people, both religious and atheist alike.

Some might take it lightly. Others would be un-nerved, but they'd still handle it maturely... Still, many folks would just freak out and "lose it".

So clinging to one's religion, whether or not they believed strongly, might be the right reaction for someone scared s--tless.
I wonder how many people would get really frightened about something like an alien visitation. That has always been the excuse the UFO CT'ers have used to explain why the government would hide the fact that UFOs have visited the Earth. To me, I don't think the majority of the world's population would be that freaked out about it. At least in an overly frightened manner.

I think the majority of people who would think it a fantastic, life-changing experience. And I would suspect that some fundamentalist religions would go into convulsions and among the rest of the more woo-centric believers there would spring up a plethora of new religions based on whatever showed up on our doorstep.

Of course, in our limited, earthly experience, there has never been a peaceful meeting between a highly technologically advanced culture and a lesser one. Therefore, if a flying saucer did show up one day, the love would probably be short-lived until the lasers start flying. That's another reason I don't think that we have been visited by aliens to date, I am not currently reporting to my new alien overlord.

Even Mother TeresaWP doubted.
Skeptic Guy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 10:23 AM   #37
meg
psychic reader

Is it just me, or does the second picture here:
http://forums.uforesearcher.com/cgi-...c;f=3;t=000177

look strikingly similar to the picture found here?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Hare_International_Airport

What are the odds of that
Old 2nd January 2007, 10:25 AM   #38
Overman
Master Poster

Originally Posted by firecoins View Post
Thats right. A UFO tried to land at O'Hare but the country's busiest airport had no place for them to land.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...nworldiraq-hed
YOU MEAN THEY ACTUALLY GOT MY NYE PARTY INVITE, ONLY TO LEAVE BECAUSE THE GATE WAS FULL!!!

DAMN YOU AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS!!!!

Overman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 10:29 AM   #39
Kiwiwriter
Graduate Poster

Smile Calling all cars! UFO at O'Hare!

It was obviously here before to pick up the goods from Al Capone's vault, and replace it with the mud and dirt that Geraldo Rivera found.

Now, it's back for a follow-up.

Kiwiwriter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2007, 11:00 AM   #40
MichelQC
Scholar

Quote:
At approximately 16:30 p.m. (Central) on Tuesday, November 07, 2006, Federal authorities at O'Hare Airport received a report that approximately a dozen witnesses were observing a small, round disc-shaped object, metallic in appearance, which hovered over Gate C17 at that airport.
Only a dozen people saw this?? At O'Hare airport one of the busiest airport in the US? In broad daylight? During peak traffic hours? There must have been hundreds if not thousands of people within visual range of this "phenomena" and yet only a handful of people reported seeing this? Now there's solid evidence for you!
MichelQC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal