IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags david farrant , highgate vampire , obituaries , vampires

Old 17th January 2007, 06:28 AM   #1
brodski
Tea-Time toad

David Farrant- Psychic investigator.

I've opened this thread because The Sean Manchester threads have attracted a number of new members to the forum, including David Farrant, President, British Psychic and Occult Society/The Highgate Vampire Society.

I am very interested to heat what David has to say on a number of paranormal topics

Can I make a two general requests,

1) can everyone, whatever their worldview please be polite- the Sean Manchester threads have tended to get a little heated to the detriment of discussion (and I am at fault there too)

2) Can we please not rake over personal matters nearly 30 years in the past, and how those personal matters have spread since- there is plenty of discussion on the Manchester threads about those things, I don't want to start another thread along the same lines.

I would like this thread to focus on David's understanding of the paranormal, and his evidence for the paranormal.

David,
You describe yourself in the other thread as a "psychic investigator", do you consider yourself a "psychic who investigates", or an investigator of psychic phenomena? (or both)

You state that you don't believe in "blood sucking vampires", do you believe in anything which you would label as a "vampire", what properties to these "vampires" have?

What would you consider the best evidence which you have gathered for the existence of the paranormal, vampires or psychic phenomena?

Thanks.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 06:33 AM   #2
Ducky

Just a suggestion:

Perhaps we could ask one of the mods to moderate this thread to avoid any spillover from the feud to this thread to keep it not only civil but on point?

ETA:

I certainly don't want Mr. Ferrant or Mr. Manchester (Myth Buster) to feel they are simply in a flame war when we wish to seriously discuss their work.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 06:57 AM   #3
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

To appear fair, should we also start a contained thread for Manchester/Mythbuster, so we can keep his replies all in one place? I still have questions for him and they've been lost and/or dodged in the other threads.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 07:02 AM   #4
Ducky

Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post
To appear fair, should we also start a contained thread for Manchester/Mythbuster, so we can keep his replies all in one place? I still have questions for him and they've been lost and/or dodged in the other threads.
Ah, well done. 2 moderated threads for each to present their views and discuss them without flaming.

Sounds good to me, but I pity the poor moderator who accepts that duty.

(Which means I would totally do it, if I were a moderator.)
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 07:45 AM   #5
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

David,

My question to you: The Highgate case never received that much press in the US. What we had focused of Sean Manchester with only a passing reference to you. So, how did you become involved with this alleged vampire case?

There is a great amount of conflicting information on the internet. Were you a member of Sean Manchester's Occult Society, or were you operating on your own initiative?
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 01:29 PM   #6
CatherineFearnley
Thinker

Two Threads

Originally Posted by The Vampire View Post

When this happened elsewhere. They too had two seperate threads to make life easier. However you've already got the Sean Manchester thread so I wouldn't have thought it necessary to create a new one. I've noticed now MythBuster (Sean Manchester) seems to have disappeared from this message board.

Catherine.
CatherineFearnley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 01:39 PM   #7
Ducky

Originally Posted by CatherineFearnley View Post
When this happened elsewhere. They too had two seperate threads to make life easier. However you've already got the Sean Manchester thread so I wouldn't have thought it necessary to create a new one. I've noticed now MythBuster (Sean Manchester) seems to have disappeared from this message board.

Catherine.
Fair enough. Though, I personally would like to see some sort of civil discussion. My curiosity is piqued, and I am not rude normally unless someone threatens me with prosecution under the UK's Religious Hate laws

No seriously, screw manchester. Let's you, Barbara, david and us discuss whatever, and leave manchester to his empty threats of lawsuit.

Anyway, in case I forgot to post this, welcome to you, barabra and david.
Old 17th January 2007, 02:05 PM   #8
DavidFarrant
Critical Thinker

New Thread

FOR BRODSKI AND THE VAMPIRE,

Thank you for your questions. I will answer both of you; hopefully not in the midst of so much confusion about my apparent 'feud' with Mr. Manchester. (Believe it or not this is very much a 'one-sided feud'; or one instigated mainly by Mr. Manchester).

Thank you for your thought of creating this new thread, Brodski. I am not expecting that we will fully agree, but at least I hope I may be able to clarify a few basic facts for you.

For now,

David (Farrant)
DavidFarrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 02:09 PM   #9
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by DavidFarrant View Post
Thank you for your questions. I will answer both of you; hopefully not in the midst of so much confusion about my apparent 'feud' with Mr. Manchester.
Yes, i would like to keep this thread as free from "other" issues as possible.

Quote:
(Believe it or not this is very much a 'one-sided feud'; or one instigated mainly by Mr. Manchester).
I can believe many things of Mr. Manchester.

Quote:
Thank you for your thought of creating this new thread, Brodski. I am not expecting that we will fully agree, but at least I hope I may be able to clarify a few basic facts for you.

For now,

David (Farrant)
I look forward to your replies.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 02:40 PM   #10
Skeptic Guy
Raccoon Death Squad Leader

David,

I am posting a question I had for you from the Manchester thread. (See attached). Can you please respond? Thank you.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...65#post2265665

Even Mother TeresaWP doubted.
Skeptic Guy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 02:59 PM   #11
CatherineFearnley
Thinker

Warm Welcome

Originally Posted by fowlsound View Post
Fair enough. Though, I personally would like to see some sort of civil discussion. My curiosity is piqued, and I am not rude normally unless someone threatens me with prosecution under the UK's Religious Hate laws

No seriously, screw manchester. Let's you, Barbara, david and us discuss whatever, and leave manchester to his empty threats of lawsuit.

Anyway, in case I forgot to post this, welcome to you, barabra and david.

Thanks for the welcome. We too are looking forward to sensible discussion for a change which hopefully will not involve any direct insults and accusations from the Manchester camp. Let's have some decent questioning for a change.

Catherine
CatherineFearnley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 04:56 PM   #12
DavidFarrant
Critical Thinker

An Answer - Or a Start

For Brodski, Skeptic Guy and The Vampire,

I have noted all your questions which I will answer. Your questions are really quite complex, Brodski, as is Skeptic Guy's further one - not difficult at all, but need a little more time than I have at this exact moment. The Vampire's question is really quite simple in comparrison so I will deal with this first - after all, she is a lady!

The Vampire basically asks how I became involved with the Highgate 'vampire' and if I was 'ever a member of Manchester's Society'.

To answer your first point first: I never became involved with the 'Highgate Vampire', simply because there never was a 'Highgate Vampire'!

There WAS an unexplained phenomenon - or 'ghost' - that had been witnessed at Highgate Cemetery (including by myself) in late 1969 and in the early 1970's. But this phenomenon (although genuine as far as such things are said to go) was NOT a 'vampire'. It got turned into one by certain people trying to cash in on the original investigation by the British Psychic and Occult Society into an earthbound entity, or 'ghost, that had been witnessed in and around Highgate Cemetery.

This investigation got 'slightly out of hand' as I tried to explain earlier, and which I will go into more later.

Was I ever a member of Mr. Manchester's society? No. Quite simply because he never had any society.

I formed the British Psychic and Occult Society back in 1967. It started out with a small group of people interested in unexplained phenomena, mainly locally in the Highgate area at first. I firsy met Mr. Manchester in 1967 when he was playing the saxophone in a local pub in Highgate called The Woodman, and it was then that he first learned of the Society's activities and investigations into paranormal activity and 'ghosts'. Highgate Cemetery was not fully 'on the agenda' then, although I had first visited HC in 1962 and I was well aware of all the local stories about a 'ghost' said to lurk there. I only really took the case up several years later. Mr. Mnchester came to learn about this, and the next moment the Highgate ghost - or enexplained phenomenon - got turned into a 'vampire'!

This might be anover-simplified answer, but it is nevertheless all true.

I will get back to the other points tomorrow.

For the moment,

David
DavidFarrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 06:08 PM   #13
Luke T.

I so hate it when someone steals my perfectly good graveyard ghost and converts it to vampirism.
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 07:29 PM   #14
CLD

David Farrant writes:

Quote:
There WAS an unexplained phenomenon - or 'ghost' - that had been witnessed at Highgate Cemetery (including by myself) in late 1969 and in the early 1970's. But this phenomenon (although genuine as far as such things are said to go) was NOT a 'vampire'.
According to http://www.afallon.com/stories/highgate.htm :

Quote:
David Farrant, who lives in Muswell Hill Road, said that the reports of grave robbery sprang from his own investigations into a ghostly apparition seen in Highgate Cemetery.

He said: "I went into the cemetery at night to investigate them, thinking they were nothing more than tree branches casting shadows in the moonlight, but I myself saw a tall figure that convinced me.

"We went down there a few nights later to hold a seance, but were arrested by the police who were keeping watch."
If this is accurate, what exactly "convinced" you that what you saw was indeed a figure, and that it was of paranormal origin?
CLD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 07:41 PM   #15
Clu
Scholar

Aaaah yes the good ol' turn the ghost to a vamp routine... and you dont question whether there was a 'ghost' or not? How is the 'ghost'-story more likely than the vamp one?
Clu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:33 PM   #16
Clu
Scholar

Me thinks Myth seems quite familiar with this topic for someone unafilliated with neither party...
Clu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 10:34 PM   #17
Clu
Scholar

Myth, you really dont like Farrant do you?
Old 17th January 2007, 11:35 PM   #18
Myth Buster
Banned

Originally Posted by Clu View Post
Me thinks Myth seems quite familiar with this topic for someone unafilliated with neither party...
Not "affiliated" with either party, but in communication to varying degrees over a period of time for research purposes with both parties.
Myth Buster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 11:37 PM   #19
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

Can we drop the ad hom drek and discuss the specific claim(s) regarding paranormal activity and any objective, verifiable evidence in support of said claim(s)?
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2007, 11:43 PM   #20
Zep
Banned

Well... In reviewing what we have so far, I'm going to be MIGHTY surprised if this is not just another way for Mr Farrant to self-publicise via this forum. Call it a hunch, or intuition, if you will.

However, I can be surprised. Carry on!
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2007, 01:54 AM   #21
Ducky

Originally Posted by Myth Buster View Post
Not "affiliated" with either party, but in communication to varying degrees over a period of time for research purposes with both parties.

Originally Posted by Myth Buster View Post
No apology. And, furthermore, I have been asked by Sean Manchester's people to stay off this topic as a complaint is already under consideration within the terms of the Religious Hatred Act 2006, section 1, 29C 1 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/60001--b.htm).
Old 18th January 2007, 02:06 AM   #22
DavidFarrant
Critical Thinker

FOR CLD AND CLU,

I will interpose with a quick answer here before I come back to the original questions from Brodski and Skeptic Guy.

CLD asks how I was so sure that the fogure I witnessed was supernatural by origin.

I originally went to the Cemetery to attempt to find some logical explanation for the entity that had been witnessed by so many other people.

The answer is at at first (that is right at the onset) I did not realise the figure was supernatural. It appeared to be clad in a dark cloak and the 'points of light' that I took to be its eyes, I initially assuned had been made by some hidden torch or something. In short, I initially thought it was some very hunan person who had heard the local stories abot a vampire (which had cleverly been spread by one particular individual for the purposes of gaining personal publicity) and was dressed up as one trying to frighten passers by. But in a matter of seconds, this impression changed. The area around me suddenly turned icy cold (like a fridge) and the 'thing' seemed to trying to 'hypnotise' me. Put another way, I felt I was quickly being 'drained of energy' and was being forced into some 'enticed sleep'. I realised then that it ws no human being and that I was under psychic attack. I mentally recited a cabalistic incantation (which I'd previously been taught through my involvement in Wicca and spiritualism) and the entity promptly vanished and the temperature returned to normal. Thus I was convinced that the figure wasn't human but that I was only witnessing what other people had already seen. No. I can't offer you material proof. Except to say it was not imagination and I was NOT on drugs as two schoolgirls had been when they claimed to have seen 'bodies rising from their graves' back in 1967. (The latter being a proposition which Mr. Manchester has always endorsed).

As for "Myth Buster" knowing 'so much about me' CLU, in fact, 'he' doesn't. 'He' is merely 'cutting and pasting' the usual material which he writes himself and plasters incessently all over the Internet.

That is why I intend to ignore it here and only stick to, and answer, genuine questions.

I do not intend to answer the ravings of a very sick mind. I don't really have to in any event. His ravings really say far more about himself than they ever could about me. People have often said that this person is obsessed with myself. Now he's merely proving it. Most unChristian!

For now,

David

Last edited by DavidFarrant; 18th January 2007 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Two spelling mistakes spotted
Old 18th January 2007, 02:08 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Mod WarningI've moved a couple of posts from this thread by Myth Buster so I can review them later - they appear at a first glance to be in breach of my warning about trying to continue the personal feud on this Forum. However since Myth Buster will be banned if they are an attempt to continue the personal feud I'll take the time to examine more carefully.

And let me again restate this so the matter can be dropped.

Myth Buster is lying regarding this claim "Not "affiliated" with either party,....". If as he states he is not Sean Manchester then he is a close personal and/or business acquaintance of Sean Manchester.
Posted By:Darat
Old 18th January 2007, 06:49 AM   #24
CatherineFearnley
Thinker

Publicising

Originally Posted by Zep View Post
Well... In reviewing what we have so far, I'm going to be MIGHTY surprised if this is not just another way for Mr Farrant to self-publicise via this forum. Call it a hunch, or intuition, if you will.

However, I can be surprised. Carry on!
For Zep

We are not going to be self publicising anything. We did not create this thread. This was done because of a need of a separate thread for us to answer any questions and this is what we are and intend on doing. Nowhere have we listed any of our books or other sites. If other members of the forum which to do this then that is fine with us. Indeed other members have included several of our links in their posts. In fact we were not even aware of this forum until a couple of weeks back and a situation was pointed out to us.

I hope that this clarifies the situation for Zep but in the meantime please feel free to ask any further questions and again as stated elsewhere we'll answer them to the best of our ability.

Catherine
Old 18th January 2007, 10:44 AM   #25
DavidFarrant
Critical Thinker

For Brodski,

For Brodski,
I’ll try and answer your three questions. It will have to be quite brief as each question could really merit a book on its own!
You ask if I am a psychic who investigates or just someone who investigates psychic phenomena.
I have never claimed to be a psychic; although I have put forward my views on Life (with a big ‘L’) and philosophy from time to time in the past. I do not think you can entirely separate psychic phenomena from the latter, as things claimed to be psychic are, after all, really a part of Life; or perhaps the ‘Universal Life Force’, which might be a better way of putting it.
The answer would have to be though that I am a non-psychic, but at the same time an ordinary person (don’t laugh!) who investigates psychic phenomena.
Do I accept the existence of blood-sucking vampires (in their literal sense)?
The answer is most definitely ‘no’, I do not and never have done.
But there are different types of ‘vampires, of course (I keep to the word ‘vampires’ to avoid any confusion, but it is not the right word). There are ‘human vampires’ of course. That is human beings who are quite capable of draining the mental energy of another. (And this also works both ways in that there are some people of ‘uplifting’ or re-vitalising another).
But to come to what I think you mean . . . Yes. I have come to accept that there are indeed some ‘outside presence’s’ or ‘non-worldly’ (i.e. non-physical) forces that can ‘drain people’ mentally. Such visitations usually take place at night and occur when a person is in asleep, or just falling asleep. These ‘entities’ have been reported since the dawn of history and are commonly known as the incubus and the Succubus. These are not ‘vampires’ as such, but the symptoms of their attacks could often be confused with those of alleged ‘vampires’, and vice versa. I have spoken to literally dozens of people over the years who claim to have experienced such nightly visitations. Yes. I would say that these are undoubtedly genuine. I do not claim to know the Cause, but I can certainly testify to the effects.
You ask what is my ‘best evidence’ for the existence of psychic phenomena?
This is really a loaded question! I do not have evidence ‘in my pocket’, but I can certainly testify to many unexplained occurrences that can not be explained by any physical or rational means.
I have witnessed drastic changes in temperature at certain locations on many occasions. I have also witnessed material objects move, apparently of their own volition. I have witnessed the effects such (psychic) energy can have upon electrical systems; not least by causing electrical clocks to stop simultaneously or to cause light bulbs to fade, even explode. I have seen a person thrown to the ground (with some considerable force) in a reputedly haunted place when there was nobody in the vicinity who could have otherwise caused this.
I have witnessed the effects this ‘energy’ can have upon some animals, and far more besides.
Well, I hope these very simple answers go some way to answering your questions. I suppose it is unlikely that you might agree. But again I say, I am only testifying to the EFFECTS of such occurrences. I am not claiming to know the exact Cause.
For the moment,
David
Old 18th January 2007, 10:58 AM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

OK you have witnessed many of these events over many years - do you have any documentary evidence bar your statements (or other eye witness statements) for example film or video footage?
Old 18th January 2007, 11:07 AM   #27
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

<snip>
You ask what is my ‘best evidence’ for the existence of psychic phenomena?
This is really a loaded question! I do not have evidence ‘in my pocket’, but I can certainly testify to many unexplained occurrences that can not be explained by any physical or rational means.
<snip>
How in the world is this a loaded question? He presupposed nothing in the framing of the question that would force you to accept something you do not agree with in order to answer the question; unless you are disagreeing with the possibility of having evidence of psychic phenomena. It's a very simple, and fair question. Given your years of investigation, what N number of pieces of evidence do you find most supportive of your assertion that psychic phenomena exists?
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2007, 11:19 AM   #28
Clu
Scholar

To DavidF:

I think that Darat asks a pretty good question, where's your evidence? Not your own testimony but a more - excuse the frase - reliable source such as pics, vids or any other recording

"Neither procreative nor nutritive, perhaps it is the navel's lack of obvious purpose, combined with its audacious, almost arrogant, spot right there in the middle of things, that sucks its admirers in." - Deirdre Day-MacLeod
Old 18th January 2007, 11:30 AM   #29
DavidFarrant
Critical Thinker

For Darat and Psychic Guy

For Darat and Psychic Guy,

First, Psychic Guy, can I just say that I went back to answer your question about 'types of vampires' but I find that I have already really answered this in my reply to Brodski just back. I hope that is a sufficient answer, but of course ask anything else if you want.

For Darat,

I have accumalated dozens upon dozens of personal witness statements over the years. And scores more signed letters that I have permission to use.

If you are asking if I have any sensational 'ghost footage' on film (video or otherwise) I am afraid the answer is 'no'. But this has certainly not been through lack of trying. Some very strange things have happened on camera (or with camera equipment to be more precise) but there is nothing that could be presented as 'solid' or physical evidence.

Let me give you but one short example.

In 1984, some of us were keeping a nightly vigil next to a 'haunted lake' just some 30 miles north of London. The ghost of a 'white lady' had been locally reported disappearing into the lake.

At around 4 am we all witnessed a 'white shape' gliding across the middle of the lake. A friend of mine 'snapped off' three photographs of this but when later developed those negatives were blank; notstanding that all the other photographs we had taken of the lake beforehand were all intact.

I guess that it hardly evidence, but that incident was witnessed by other people, notstanding that there are only three blank negatives to support it.

I should perhaps add, that on several occasions the light meter on my old SLR camera refused to function at a few reputedly haunted locations - the Ancient Ram Inn being one of them.

Sorry if this seems to be an 'anti-climax', but I have never really made any sensational claims to the contrary.

David (Farrant)
Old 18th January 2007, 12:26 PM   #30
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

How about a more simplified question; do you have any evidence you can present that is not anecdotal in nature?
Old 18th January 2007, 12:41 PM   #31
CLD

At around 4 am we all witnessed a 'white shape' gliding across the middle of the lake. A friend of mine 'snapped off' three photographs of this but when later developed those negatives were blank; notstanding that all the other photographs we had taken of the lake beforehand were all intact......I should perhaps add, that on several occasions the light meter on my old SLR camera refused to function at a few reputedly haunted locations - the Ancient Ram Inn being one of them.
Hi David,

Re: the above

1. "post hoc" reasoning" - blank negatives, trouble with light meter = ghost did it

2. "count the hits, ignore the misses"- forget the 50 times equipment misfunctioned in ordinary circumstances, remember the 2 times it misfunctioned in "haunted" surroundings

You seem to have been around the world of supernatural claims for many years. What is your opinion of scientific scepticism?
CLD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2007, 05:44 PM   #32
Luke T.

I so hate that when ghosts appear at 4 a.m. in the middle of lakes I forget to take off my lens cap.
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2007, 05:59 PM   #33
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

I am very naive about these ghosts appearing at lakes, cemeteries etc.
But do they only appear at night or in dimly lit places.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2007, 06:15 PM   #34
Psiload
Master Poster

Originally Posted by DavidFarrant

Quote:
[/b]

At around 4 am we all witnessed a 'white shape' gliding across the middle of the lake. A friend of mine 'snapped off' three photographs of this but when later developed those negatives were blank; notstanding that all the other photographs we had taken of the lake beforehand were all intact.
Are there any swans to be found in the area of the lake? I'm asking because I used to live on a lake that was home to many swans, and on certain nights, when the moonlight was just so, the sawns would appear as shimmering white shapes gliding across the lake. It was eerie... as a matter of fact, my wife and I used to say, "The ghosts are back." whenever the phenomenon occured.

Just a thought.
Old 19th January 2007, 03:06 AM   #35
DavidFarrant
Critical Thinker

For Psiload,

Thanks for that, Psiload. Swans would have indded provided a logical explanation, except there weren't any. There were no ducks either but there was a group of small moorhens around the edge, but these are tiny black birds and in any event do not come out at night,

We did in fact check the origanal location shots for anything the 'eye might have missed' but there was nothing. No apparent variments or reflections of light on the water; absolutely nothing.

What perhaps interested me so much about this case was the definite element of water involved. Many of our ourdoor investigations at the time were centered at locations where such apparitions had been reported and the element of water had been involved. It would be safe to say that in a large percentage of cases such 'apparitions' (or 'pictures' as I prefer to call them) had been connected in some way to the element of water. If there was no lake, river or stream visibly present, then we would often find that it had just been raining (or actually ws raining) or low pressure was present, such as the 'heavy' or 'close' atmosphere that often precedes a thunder storm. I came to the conclusion many years ago that there is some definite connection between these reported 'pictures' (whether they be 'pictures' of 'human' figures, animals or even objects - such as coaches or lond since demolished buildings) and the element of water. And 'no', I can't prove it so please don't ask me to! I can onle produce physical case records where the element of water has come to the fore.

Thanks for your response,

David
Old 19th January 2007, 08:08 AM   #36
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arkan_Wolfshade View Post
How about a more simplified question; do you have any evidence you can present that is not anecdotal in nature?
DavidFarrant?
Old 19th January 2007, 09:32 AM   #37
omegablue

WolfShade, I think he already said that he does not have any evidence of the kind you want.

By the way i have another simply and direct question to David:

Arent those claims of succubus and incubus related to sleep paralysis only? I don´t see any claims of that kind meaning that these entities literally appear to people during normal waking states of consciousness and do suck energy from them.

regards
omegablue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2007, 11:31 AM   #38
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

Originally Posted by omegablue View Post
WolfShade, I think he already said that he does not have any evidence of the kind you want.

By the way i have another simply and direct question to David:

Arent those claims of succubus and incubus related to sleep paralysis only? I don´t see any claims of that kind meaning that these entities literally appear to people during normal waking states of consciousness and do suck energy from them.

regards
I'd like a clear yes/no from him, rather than the somewhat evasive one posted before. If the answer is "no", then there is little reason in continue the discussion as to the claims of past encounters and the discussion should, perhaps, refocus on what could be done to provide objective evidence in the future.
Old 19th January 2007, 11:34 AM   #39
Ducky

Originally Posted by Arkan_Wolfshade View Post
I'd like a clear yes/no from him, rather than the somewhat evasive one posted before. If the answer is "no", then there is little reason in continue the discussion as to the claims of past encounters and the discussion should, perhaps, refocus on what could be done to provide objective evidence in the future.
I agree.
Old 19th January 2007, 11:44 AM   #40
DavidFarrant
Critical Thinker

Sleep paralysis

For Omegablue,

For Omegablue,
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that there is no apparent evidence that these entities [I assume you mean if these even exist at all] ever appear to people, or manifest, during normal (waking or everyday) states of consciousness.
I have to say that I agree with that entirely; I have not come across any evidence for this either.
But then I can only ask why it is that these ‘attacks’ or visitations invariably take place when a given person is in a ‘sleeping state’. (Often people are abruptly awakened to become aware that such an ‘attack’ or ‘visitation’ is taking place).
My own understanding of this, is that it could just be that the ‘everyday thinking mind’ which is operative when people are fully awake, is lulled or at rest when people are asleep, and therefore no longer acts as a 'barrier' to prevent other deeper levels of consciousness from become operative; or actually, on occasion manifesting themselves so that they can be glimpsed or observed by the conscious mind (which is apparently what happens when people are suddenly awoken from sleep to find themselves being subjected to these attacks).
You mention ‘sleep paralysis’ and I will not attempt to question here whether these entities (the Incubus and Succubus) were originally projections to explain sleep paralysis, or whether such entities do not exist at all and the symptoms experienced are only really due to the state of sleep paralysis.
That would really be an impossible argument, and I could not take it up because I frankly don’t know.
But I do know what the common symptoms of sleep paralysis are, whether put these down to ‘visiting entities’ or not.
In general, people are invariably awakened to become aware of a strong sensation of ‘pins and needles’ in their arms or legs, or both. Within seconds they become aware of a heavy pressure on their chests or middle (although somebody was kneeling on them) and are soon rendered totally immobile unable to move or even cry out. These attacks can last for a few minutes sometimes; although obviously it seems much longer that that to the particular person experiencing the ‘attack’. I have come to understand that also there is sometimes a ‘sexual element involved’ during these ‘visitations’, but many people are recultant to mention this due to embarrassment.
It is perhaps worth noting that there are other common symptoms that affect people experiencing these ‘attacks’:
People (perhaps I should say ‘victims’) experiencing these nightly ‘attacks’ (I use the word ‘attacks’ without commitment to whether these are ‘internal’ or ‘external’) often begin to have vivid dreams (often nightmares), become prone to bouts of sleep-walking and, in their waking hours, lose their appetites and develop an aversion to sunlight or bright light. They can also become lethargic and weak – although I suppose you could put this down to the strain of the experiences themselves and a genuine fear to go to sleep.
I do not know what is the actual cause behind these nightly ‘attacks’, but I do know that these frequently occur world-wide and constitute a fearsome reality to those people experiencing them.
For now,
David (Farrant)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal