ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th January 2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Steven Howard
Custom Title

Today's Health Tip: Don't Inject COOKING OIL into your BUTTOCKS

Another one for the "What's the harm?" files:

Quote:
A former beautician who injected cooking oil into a client, killing the woman as a result of the botched anti-aging procedure, was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Martha Mata Vasquez, 39, injected Mazola corn oil into the buttocks of clients claiming the "French polymer" treatment would reduce wrinkles. She charged up to $1,400 for each procedure, prosecutors said.
Rest of the article is here.
Old 19th January 2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Big Al
Mage Questor

She'll prbably claim Mazola deliberately spiked the offending oil with some noxious substance just to discredit her.
Old 19th January 2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Goshawk
Graduate Poster

Good Lord. It's like kindergartners playing doctor--"let's mix up some meduseen and get Mikey to drink it, it'll make him alllll better..." And off they go to the kitchen, and start mixing soy sauce and Kool-aid together.

And why cooking oil? It strikes me that she could have used simple saline--with no ill effects--and still have charged, and received, $1400 for the procedure.
Goshawk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2007, 10:23 AM   #4
MortFurd
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
Good Lord. It's like kindergartners playing doctor--"let's mix up some meduseen and get Mikey to drink it, it'll make him alllll better..." And off they go to the kitchen, and start mixing soy sauce and Kool-aid together.

And why cooking oil? It strikes me that she could have used simple saline--with no ill effects--and still have charged, and received, $1400 for the procedure.
Because she'd have had to buy the saline solution, and she had the cooking oil in the house already.

That last was a joke.

Seriously, she was calling it a "French polymer" treatment. If you show people a saline solution, they're gonna go "Oooh, that looks like water." Show 'em a tube full of slow gurgling oil, and their brain goes "aha, polymer. Gotcha."
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Deetee
Illuminator

Injected into the buttocks to reduce wrinkles?? What did she have wrong with her?

I presume that oil was chosen so that it would not be absorbed into the body rapidly (as saline would be), giving a longer-lasting anti-wrinkle effect. This case is reminiscent of the one where some chemist was mixing up his own botox recipe to inject into patients and poisoned some. Even a dur-brain would figure that with lethal botulinum toxin a minor miscalculation could result in quite a spectacular poo-hits-fan incident.

The sad thing is that for that amount of money, the patient could have recieved safe medical treatment with one of the substances used today - usually polylactic acid or polyacrilamide gel (but silicone is still used widely).
"Homeopathy: I never knew there was so little in it." - BSM
Deetee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2007, 10:45 AM   #6
MortFurd
Graduate Poster

Do you folks ever wonder what kind of messed up attitude it takes to shell out 1400 smackers to have wrinkles taken out of your butt? It's not like this is Claudia Schiffer worried about losing a modeling contract worth millions. This is just Ms. Prettyfoots from down the street. Joe Average don't care about wrinkles on Ms. Prettyfoots, he just wants to jump her bones.
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2007, 11:00 AM   #7
joe87
Scholar

Quote:
Maria Olivia Castillo, 46, of Castroville died in November 2005 of multiple organ failure caused by a fat blockage brought about by a cooking oil injection, prosecutors said.

Similar injections caused medical complications for others and put one patient into a coma, prosecutors said.
Wonder how that works - did her bloodstream pick up the mazola and cause clot formation? I wouldn't have thought that a subcutaneous injection of edible oil would cause death or a coma. She was probably trying to get rid of the celulite look.

Last edited by joe87; 19th January 2007 at 11:12 AM.
joe87 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2007, 12:33 PM   #8
Big Al
Mage Questor

Originally Posted by joe87 View Post
Wonder how that works - did her bloodstream pick up the mazola and cause clot formation? I wouldn't have thought that a subcutaneous injection of edible oil would cause death or a coma. She was probably trying to get rid of the celulite look.
It could be due to an embolus. It's hard to get all the air out of cooking oil in a hypo - if the so-called therapist even bothered.
Old 20th January 2007, 02:48 PM   #9
ChristineR
Illuminator

It's truly amazing how many people are out there injecting random crap into one another. Most of them seem to be near the US/Mexico border for some reason.

Corn oil I haven't heard of, but variations on silicon are very common, and I've heard of one woman injecting herself with beef fat--apparently she thought there was collagen in beef fat. And beeswax injections have been around for at least 2000 years.

The beautician was calling it "polymer" which implies silicon, which pretty much puts it in a category with all those other random injectors if you ask me.
Old 20th January 2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Big Al
Mage Questor

Sorry to be pedantic, ChristineR, but it's "silicone", not "silicon". Silicon is the sand and microchip stuff.
Old 20th January 2007, 04:21 PM   #11
ChristineR
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Sorry to be pedantic, ChristineR, but it's "silicone", not "silicon". Silicon is the sand and microchip stuff.
You know, I knew that but I couldn't remember how to spell it and I was too lazy to look it up, so I just spelled it wrongly. Thanks!
Old 20th January 2007, 04:29 PM   #12
baron
Graduate Poster

A wide variety of oils found their way into Mr Valentino's biceps and my oh my, doesn't he look well on it?

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=211hate

baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2007, 04:18 AM   #13
Deetee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
A wide variety of oils found their way into Mr Valentino's biceps and my oh my, doesn't he look well on it?

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=211hate
Rule8ing Hell!

Quote:
Q: People always want to know why you do it because it's just not symmetrical [the swollen arms].
Greg Valentino: Yeah, but I'm not trying to be symmetrical. I'm trying to be a freak, you know what I'm saying?
Yes, Greg, we do.

BTW, the reason the woman died was because of fat embolism itself, which is something that happens directly from fat particles clogging up the small blood vessels in vital organs such as the brain, lung and kidney. It is not due to air embolism or blood clots.
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic652.htm
"Homeopathy: I never knew there was so little in it." - BSM
Deetee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2007, 10:21 PM   #14
Dustin Kesselberg
Usus magister est optimus

Valentino still claims his arms are the result of anabolic steroids. He's used as a poster-boy in many a anti-steroid T.V. shows where they basically say "See kids? This is what happens when you use steroids!".

In reality you can't choose how your muscles will be shaped whether you use anabolic steroids or not. It's purely genetics. The only way to alter the shape of your bicep is to inject foreign material into your arms be it synthetic oils or silicone or something similar to that. Which in effect kills your muscles over time. Valentino recently got an infection inside of his biceps and the doctors had to remove a massive amount of the "goop" inside of his biceps that he had injected over the years.

Dustin Kesselberg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2007, 08:56 AM   #15
Cuddles
Decoy

Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
But what do you bet there's people injecting that as well?
Old 25th January 2007, 02:48 PM   #16
baron
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Valentino recently got an infection inside of his biceps and the doctors had to remove a massive amount of the "goop" inside of his biceps that he had injected over the years.
That's after his own brand of DIY surgery... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yT8GPG7978

baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2007, 08:10 PM   #17
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Check. Where'd I put that pen? Ah! OK... Don't... inject... eee... see... tee...
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology