IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags loose change , 911 conspiracy theory , ireland

Old 26th January 2007, 03:42 AM   #1
8den
Graduate Poster

We Scored One For The Skeptics!

Hi, as many of you know I posted a thread earlier in the week, bemoaning Irish State TV (RTE) planned screening of Loose Change. I and some other Randi folk e-mailed RTE. with links to some of gravy's articles, internet dectectives, screw loose change etc. I explicitly said I didn't want the film censored but I thought it would be reckless of RTE to screen the film without putting it in the broader context, through a disclaimer, or a discussion program preceding or after the film.

Today I recieved this response

-----------------------------

Your email of 24 January has been forwarded to me. I am responsible for the Programme-Makers’ Guidelines, the complaints processes, etc. Thank you for the information you have provided about the programme “Loose Change”. Our Programmes Acquisitions people who purchased the rights to the programme were aware of the controversy that surrounds many of the claims made in the programme. Their view was that the screening of the film with a suitable introduction which would place the programme in context would be of interest to viewers and would contribute to the debate around the events of 9/11.

I know that you have not requested that the programme be censored or removed from the schedule. However having considered the additional programming that might be required to place “Loose Change” in context RTÉ has decided that these cannot be justified for a programme with a transmission at around midnight and which is likely to be viewed by a very small number of people.

We have decided therefore not to broadcast “Loose Change”.

If you want to discuss this further please feel free to phone me.

Best wishes
----------------------------

Boys take a bow, you all earned your NWO paycheque today, we just need to figure out a way of getting Irish taxpayer money out of Do over's hands.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to re-register on loose change forums, post this info and get banned.
8den is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 03:46 AM   #2
uk_dave
Philosopher

Well begorrah and bejesus!

uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 03:47 AM   #3
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Well, that is good news!

This sentence in the mail is precious: "However having considered the additional programming that might be required to place “Loose Change” in context".

It's a very polite way of saying: "There is so much wrong in Loose Change that we don't know even where to begin."

They could broadcast Screw Loose Change, of course. MarkyX as allready done all the "additional programming that might be required to place “Loose Change” in context".
Old 26th January 2007, 03:50 AM   #4
Coritani
Critical Thinker

Well done to all who helped keep this horrid pack of lies off TV.

From the LC forums (they don't know it's been cancelled yet, it seems):

Originally Posted by Seabhcan
RTÉ is to show Loose Change sometime over the next few weeks. The schedule hasn't been announced - but they've started running ads.
Originally Posted by Look-up
in a strange way, this is monumental.
Originally Posted by Illeagalhunter
well at last a tv company with balls to stand up to the info war that has been propgated in the usa well done rte lets hope it happens
Originally Posted by Roxdog
Originally Posted by Seabhcan
RTÉ is to show Loose Change sometime over the next few weeks. The schedule hasn't been announced - but they've started running ads.
AWESOME!
From this thread (URL is through a proxy; that's the only way I can get onto LC).

Just when they had their hopes up!

The truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is. - Winston Churchill
Coritani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 03:50 AM   #5
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Well that's it I can no longer tell Irish jokes. What a shame the History Channel wasn't as receptive.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 03:53 AM   #6
8den
Graduate Poster

Floating around the 911truth.ie site I just found this fecking gem

http://www.911truth.ie/plus-emails/plus42.html

Anaylsis of South Parks 911 truth episode..

Quote:

"We are told to believe that the fire from the jet fuel melted the steel framing of the towers, which led to their
collapse. But did you know jet fuel doesn't burn at a high enough temperature to melt steel?"

[the other kids look at each other. Kyle's eyes are half-closed, showing his disinterest]
"We were told the Pentagon was hit by a hijacked plane as well, but now look at this photo of the Pentagon. The hole is
not nearly big enough. And if a plane hit it, where is the rest of the plane?"

Clyde: "Whoa..."
Cartman: "So now, the inevitable question: if terrorists didn't cause 9/11, who did?"
Clyde’s reaction to the photographs of the Pentagon is indicative of the reaction that the vast majority of us have had
when first viewing them. It is still our strongest argument in terms of illustrating a conspiracy on 9/11. We might as
well repeat the complex logic here. Boeing 757’s weighing 250,000 tonnes and with a wingspan of 135 feet CANNOT enter
holes in buildings with 14 feet diameters. I for one am willing to stake my reputation on that elaborate deduction. Cartman then goes into the numerology. Suffice to say for the purposes of this email, it is without doubt that numerology
is used (for whatever purposes) by those with whom we are opposed. I’m hoping to write this argument up in due course but
it’s not something you want to risk doing without being fully confident of one’s command of the topic, and unfortunately,
that takes a little time.
There's a quote from another episode that I feel is apt

"Are you high or just incredibly stupid."
8den is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 03:54 AM   #7
Rich M
Scholar

That is superb news; just shows what a small, polite email campaign can do. Score one for sanity!
Rich M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 03:55 AM   #8
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Well done!
Old 26th January 2007, 03:57 AM   #9
Coritani
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by 8den View Post

250,000 tonnes?

That's one massive plane!

The truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is. - Winston Churchill

Last edited by Coritani; 26th January 2007 at 04:00 AM.
Coritani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 03:59 AM   #10
8den
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post

Well done!
Gravy take that bow yourself, it was your methodical work that made my argument so solid.

Guinness at ground zero, when I make it to new york?
Old 26th January 2007, 04:05 AM   #11
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Just...wow. I added it to the "best of 2007" list.
Old 26th January 2007, 04:06 AM   #12
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Gravy take that bow yourself, it was your methodical work that made my argument so solid.

Guinness at ground zero, when I make it to new york?
O'Hara's it is!
Old 26th January 2007, 04:11 AM   #13
pagan
Critical Thinker

I know that you have not requested that the programme be censored or removed from the schedule. However having considered the additional programming that might be required to place “Loose Change” in context RTÉ has decided that these cannot be justified for a programme with a transmission at around midnight and which is likely to be viewed by a very small number of people.
What utter BS. A victory for censorship, you guys must be proud.
pagan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 04:14 AM   #14
Coritani
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by pagan View Post
What?

LC is full of lies. Seen Screw Loose Change, or read Gravy's Loose Change Guide? I can give you links if you need 'em.

Now, I don't like censorship (and, I suspect, neither do many other people here as well) but LC is just a pack of errors, lies and speculation.

Old 26th January 2007, 04:17 AM   #15
bonavada

Hi, as many of you know I posted a thread earlier in the week, bemoaning Irish State TV (RTE) planned screening of Loose Change. I and some other Randi folk e-mailed RTE. with links to some of gravy's articles, internet dectectives, screw loose change etc.
<snip>
spot on old chap......... :-]

wonderful news.

BV
bonavada is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 04:28 AM   #16
MortFurd
Master Poster

A victory in the fight against the lies, innuendo, false physics, and flat out stupidity that is the 911 "Truth Movement."

Last edited by MortFurd; 26th January 2007 at 04:45 AM.
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 04:48 AM   #17
brodski
Tea-Time toad

This is not censorship. Read the e-mail from RTE, as a public service broadcaster it has a duty to provide balance. After it was pointed out just how unbalanced the fantasies contained in Loose Change are, RTE had one of two options, they could either broadcast a programme presenting the factual rebuttal to Loose Change, or not broadcast at all. They deemed that the interest in this issue from their audience is so small, that they could not justify a second programme.
Not however that if Loose Change could support its allegations and innuendo, and was a factual documentary (rather than a catalogue of lies) there would not be the same pressing need for a second programme to balance the first.
Perhaps when LC:FE comes out, in it's "error free" version, RTE will be able to justify broadcast without a "balancing" counter programme. of course, if LC:FE really is error free, then it would have to conclude that 9/11 happened pretty much as the various official reports say it happened.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 05:00 AM   #18
8den
Graduate Poster

Actuall pagan, read the e-mail I wrote and the response I got, I was utterly aganist the censorship of the film, I wanted it framed in context. RTE acknowledged that and said they just didn't have the resources to do so.
Old 26th January 2007, 05:10 AM   #19
JAStewart
Graduate Poster
Tagger

Thats fantastic news!

Score one!

Argumentum ad YouTubeum - sts60
JAStewart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 05:12 AM   #20
jon
Muse

Wow - that's great news Well done, everyone.

One other thought - does RTE make public how much it pays for its content, or is there a Freedom of Information type thing? I'd like to know how much they paid for LC, just to emphasise the brilliance of the bright spark who decded to show this in the first place
jon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 05:21 AM   #21
The Doc
Curing Stupidity

Nice work

After some inspiration I just wrote into the History Channel in Australia and will be giving them a call tomorrow

They'll probably bush me off, but meh. Lol.
The Doc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 05:23 AM   #22
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Coritani View Post
Well done to all who helped keep this horrid pack of lies off TV.

From the LC forums (they don't know it's been cancelled yet, it seems):

From this thread (URL is through a proxy; that's the only way I can get onto LC).

Just when they had their hopes up!
link doesn't work waht was the name of the thread?
ETA ah found it
Lc To Be Shown On Irish State Tv, On RTÉ

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Loose_Ch...showtopic=2857

Last edited by geni; 26th January 2007 at 05:25 AM.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 05:24 AM   #23
JAStewart
Graduate Poster
Tagger

http://youhide.com/nph-info.pl/01011...6e6577706f7374

wahaha, the news has hit home.

Argumentum ad YouTubeum - sts60
JAStewart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 05:26 AM   #24
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes before this Xmas, a Danish radio channel ran a digest of LC in more or less prime time, and I sat and got all worked up, .... then they proceeded to rip it to pieces , mainly using the PM research, but also other sources, and topping it with a psychologist trying to explain what makes CTs tick. That was a good evening .

Hans

ETA: Sorry, it was a TV channel, of course (not much fun in LC on radio).

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 26th January 2007 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Correction
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 05:26 AM   #25
stateofgrace

Great result.

Censorship? No.

Spreading lies and paranoid delusions is what this BS movie is all about.

Keep living the lie pal; keep blaming everybody because your lies and delusions can be seen through.

Again, great result.
stateofgrace is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 05:36 AM   #26
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

DohP is upset. That's how I like to start my day.

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Loose_Ch...#entry11525698
Old 26th January 2007, 05:37 AM   #27
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Sometimes before this Xmas, a Danish radio channel ran a digest of LC in more or less prime time, and I sat and got all worked up, .... then they proceeded to rip it to pieces , mainly using the PM research, but also other sources, and topping it with a psychologist trying to explain what makes CTs tick. That was a good evening .

Hans
Very cool.
Old 26th January 2007, 06:37 AM   #28
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

8den! My spiders are happy! They don't get happy often and it's been a rough week on several fronts, so the boys just wanted to sing you a chorus....

"Bravo! Bravo! Bravissimo!"

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 06:40 AM   #29
The Doc
Curing Stupidity

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
DohP is upset. That's how I like to start my day.

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Loose_Ch...#entry11525698
What really ticks me off about this guy is he calls you a pedophile apologist, and then has the nerve to whine when you call him 'DohP'.

Clearly a troubled kid that DohP.
The Doc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 06:50 AM   #30
wahrheit
Philosopher

Fantastic news, congratulations to 8den and all the others who wrote to RTE.

Strike!
wahrheit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 07:07 AM   #31
JonnyFive
Illuminator

You just can't accept that an independent entity, outside the US no less, examined the evidence that has been compiled against Loose Change and decided LC just couldn't be balanced against the massive, overwhelming evidence against it, can you?

It must have been "censorship", despite the obvious request not to censor LC, but to present the other side of the story as well. The TV station, which I must reinterate was not in the US or controlled by the US in any way, decided it wasn't possible to even broadcast the amount of material that debunks the insanity within Loose Change.

Oh no, it had to be censorship.

You couldn't even tell us what your theory of events was, and you have a hard time believing that not everyone finds the LC theories compelling?

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, even the wooiest of the woos. After all, everyone deserves at least a chance to prove their theories with real evidence.

But you CTists have failed to do that time and time again. You're living in a fantasy world where Bush/the NWO/the Jews/the Illuminati/the US government/the space aliens/whoever destroyed the WTC towers and damaged the Pentagon for some reason, and everyone that disagrees with you is a Bush-loving government shill who has an IQ of 12 and, did I mention, loves Bush more than anything.

Get over yourselves, you can't even come up with a coherent theory of what happened, and that's just pathetic.
JonnyFive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 07:07 AM   #32
VespaGuy
Graduate Poster

Wonderful news. Well done everyone. Kudos to all who wrote in.
Old 26th January 2007, 07:16 AM   #33
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Great work all concerned
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 08:04 AM   #34
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Would you support the airing of The Birth of a Nation without making a careful point of presenting it within an appropriate context? Would you be happy to see it aired to stand on its own, with no explanation?
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 08:24 AM   #35
mailman
Critical Thinker

OBVIOUSLY this is more proof of the power of the joooooo! The CLEARLY control Irish TV.

All one has to do to see the truth of the matter is to take their brains out and let the wind blow through the cavity between the airs...hehehe

Regards

Mailman
mailman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 08:25 AM   #36
TheGrunion
Critical Thinker

Wow, absolutely wonderful news!

Great job and much thanks!
TheGrunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 08:27 AM   #37
Donal
Illuminator

Its not censorship. That would be if the Irish government prevented LC from being shown. In this case, am entity of the Irish government said they would not actively participate in its showing.

See the difference?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 08:50 AM   #38
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Quote:
However having considered the additional programming that might be required to place “Loose Change” in context RTÉ has decided that these cannot be justified for a programme with a transmission at around midnight and which is likely to be viewed by a very small number of people.
Priceless.

Well done, 8den and all who wrote to RTE.

LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 09:02 AM   #39
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

mmmm Irish Jew....tasty and filling. Meat, potatoes, carrots and gravy.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2007, 09:11 AM   #40
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Congratulations. It's always nice to see the success of rational arguments politely made.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories