ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags reading

Old 17th February 2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Richard
Muse

Exclamation A real reading for you to analyse

Here is a reading, what was given live on Sydney radio by this man : http://www.whispersfrombeyond.com.au Anthony Grzelka, who calls himself, “Australia’s Ghost Whisperer”. He charges about $40 a seat for his stage show.

I will be sending this transcript with my analysis to the DJ with whom Anthony Grzelka appeared. Before then I’d like to give you all the change to analyse the reading. Needless to say I found it very poor indeed.

The audio is here:
http://www.mysteryinvestigators.com/...2ue_feb_07.mp3

===========

(Ghost Whisperer) Anthony: How are you Anne?

(Caller) Anne: I’m pretty good, thank you.

Anthony: That’s good. Um, Anne, I have to say to you I’ve got two different connections coming through here for you….. OK?

Anne: Yeah.

Anthony: I have one which is a father connection, now your father’s passed? Your biological father?

Anne: No.

Anthony: This has to be on dad’s side of the family then. OK? This either has to be your Grandfather or has to be an older male that’s connected to dad’s side of the family OK?

Anne: OK, yep.

Anthony: ‘Cause I’ve got this male who’s coming through here. This male past with what looks like cancer to me… OK?

Anne: Yeah?

Anthony: It’s actually cancer, emphysema because I feel like it’s in the lung area… here, OK?

Anne: Yeah.. yeah.

Anthony: And I feel like this person pasted this way because I feel like blackness to the chest, I feel like there’s emphysema or, or, or, or, cancer that, that would be around this person, OK?

Anne: OK.

Anthony: And what nationality was dad’s family?

Anne: Um, well they were Australian.

Anthony: OK, I want to go back, I feel like I’ve got an English connection here. OK? That’s the feeling I get here. And I feel like there is a Jack or James that I need to acknowledge…. OK?

Anthony: That goes back on this side of the family as well.

Anthony: OK? Um, That’s the, that’s the feeling I have here with this, this family that’s coming through here…

Anthony: Um, you know, I do actually feel another connection as well, um and I feel like I need to go to mum’s side for this, OK?

Anthony: And I feel I want to talk about your Grandmother on mum’s side.

Anthony: OK. Now, um, that Grandmother, were you quite close to her?

Anne: Umm, as a child.

Anthony: Yeah.

Anthony: ‘Cause she makes me feel like she has quite a strong connection here and there’s quite a lot of energy between the two of you, OK?

Anne: Ah-ha.

Anthony: Um, and, and as she come through to me she talks about that. Um, I feel like, I, I don’t know why, but I’m about to say that your Grandmother makes me feel like either her death was a bit of a mystery to you, um, in the sense that, how it all came about at the time that she passed.

Anne: Yeah…

Anthony: But she makes me feel like, I mean obviously now you’d understand a lot better, but at the time um, I feel like there’s a bit of a mystery to her passing or, or how things happened around her, OK?

Anne: Ah-ha…

Anthony: Now go back to mum’s side of the family for me Anne.

Anne: Mmmm..

Anthony: Anne, where do I find the Mary or Margaret, the ‘M A’ name?

Anne: Yeah M, that’s my mother.

Anthony: That’s mum. OK and she’s still here though, correct?

Anthony: She’s passed.. OK, then I’ve got mum coming through then. OK because there’s someone coming through with your Grandmother and I need to give you that name.

Anthony: OK? And, and as she comes through to me, she wants me she wants to acknowledge you, she wants to um, sort of put her energy forward here… Anne, Anne, were you there when mum passed?

Anne: Ahh, yes.

Anthony: Yeah. Anne, there’s something your mum’s doing here for me that she makes me feel like I need to express to you. Anne there is a feeling of you letting go of her before she passed. Do you understand?

Anne: Mmm..

Anthony: It’s like understanding that she was leaving and sort of she’s opening her hand up, so what that means to me is that there’s a leaving of her energy and she wants you to… thank you for letting her go. OK? Anne, just one other thing before she leaves me. I don’t know whether this dog belonged to you or mum or this belonged to you.. but there is a little dog here… that your mum also has… OK?

Anthony: This is a very small dog, it’s like a Jack Russel or a very, very little Terrier.

Anthony: That type of dog, OK? That mum has with her. OK?

Anthony: And I just feel like it’s sitting down next to mum or it’s right there next to mum and I just feel like I need to acknowledge that connection here to, to um to your mum. OK?

Anthony: OK Anne. Thank you very much for allowing me to connect to you mum or you.

Anne: Alright, thank you.

and Mystery Investigators
http://www.mysteryinvestigators.com
Richard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Stupendous Man

Man, if you read that fast enough, you can sounds just like John Edward.
Stupendous Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Luke T.

Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Anthony: That’s good. Um, Anne, I have to say to you I’ve got two different connections coming through here for you….. OK?

Anthony: I have one which is a father connection, now your father’s passed? Your biological father?
Psychics always with the questions. Don't they know?

It's the windup. Here's come the pitch...

Quote:
Ohhhh! Swing and a miss! Nice try! Okay. Let's keep trying older males. One of them is bound to be dead.

Quote:
Anthony: This has to be on dad’s side of the family then. OK? This either has to be your Grandfather or has to be an older male that’s connected to dad’s side of the family OK?

Ok, I know an older male who is dead.

Quote:
Anthony: ‘Cause I’ve got this male who’s coming through here. This male past with what looks like cancer to me… OK?

Anthony: It’s actually cancer, emphysema because I feel like it’s in the lung area… here, OK?
Which is it, cancer or emphysema? Covering all the bases. The usual "in the chest area" guessing.

Quote:

Anthony: And I feel like this person pasted this way because I feel like blackness to the chest, I feel like there’s emphysema or, or, or, or, cancer that, that would be around this person, OK?
Oh. There it is. The chest area.

Quote:

Why don't you tell me? What's with all the questions? Aren't you supposed to be telling us things and not asking us things?

Quote:
Remember. You told him, he didn't tell you.

Quote:
Anthony: OK, I want to go back, I feel like I’ve got an English connection here. OK? That’s the feeling I get here. And I feel like there is a Jack or James that I need to acknowledge…. OK?
Jack. James. Or maybe Jesus!

Quote:

Anthony: OK? Um, That’s the, that’s the feeling I have here with this, this family that’s coming through here…

Anthony: Um, you know, I do actually feel another connection as well, um and I feel like I need to go to mum’s side for this, OK?
So you didn't get anywhere with dad's side. Let's try mom's side.

Quote:

Was that a question?

Quote:

Yeah, what? You asked if she was close to her grandmother and she said "as a child". You trying to say you knew that?

Quote:

Anthony: ‘Cause she makes me feel like she has quite a strong connection here and there’s quite a lot of energy between the two of you, OK?
How about that! You ARE trying to say you knew that!

Quote:

Anthony: Um, and, and as she come through to me she talks about that. Um, I feel like, I, I don’t know why, but I’m about to say that your Grandmother makes me feel like either her death was a bit of a mystery to you, um, in the sense that, how it all came about at the time that she passed.

Anthony: But she makes me feel like, I mean obviously now you’d understand a lot better, but at the time um, I feel like there’s a bit of a mystery to her passing or, or how things happened around her, OK?
Death tends to be a mystery to kids. Details are usually kept from them. Maybe that's it. But since you don't know, let's move on.

Quote:

This is as lame as it gets. A woman named "Anne" might know a Mary or Margaret. Or a Jack or a James. Now there's a real shocker. I bet she knows a John, too!

Quote:
I guess that means it ain't Mary or Margaret, or she would have said so. But, hey, we got an M hit! Woo hoo!

Quote:
Again with the questions!

It's the windup. Here's come the pitch...

Quote:
Ohhhh! Swing and a miss! Nice try! But let's just plow ahead like it is no big deal.

Quote:
Anthony: She’s passed.. OK, then I’ve got mum coming through then. OK because there’s someone coming through with your Grandmother and I need to give you that name.
Something with an M? Mmmm...

Quote:

Anthony: OK? And, and as she comes through to me, she wants me she wants to acknowledge you, she wants to um, sort of put her energy forward here… Anne, Anne, were you there when mum passed?
A question.

Quote:
You told him, he didn't tell you, remember.

Quote:
Anthony: Yeah. Anne, there’s something your mum’s doing here for me that she makes me feel like I need to express to you. Anne there is a feeling of you letting go of her before she passed. Do you understand?
Okay. You were with your mom when she died. So chances are you knew she was dying and were preparing yourself for that.

Quote:

Anthony: It’s like understanding that she was leaving and sort of she’s opening her hand up, so what that means to me is that there’s a leaving of her energy and she wants you to… thank you for letting her go. OK? Anne, just one other thing before she leaves me. I don’t know whether this dog belonged to you or mum or this belonged to you.. but there is a little dog here… that your mum also has… OK?
She thanks you for letting her go. And she is glad she doesn't ever have to take a driving exam again. Or go grocery shopping.

A dog. There was a dog in your life at some point. Your dog. Your mom's dog. Surely sometime in your entire life, there was a dog. Okay?

Quote:

Anthony: This is a very small dog, it’s like a Jack Russel or a very, very little Terrier.

Anthony: And I just feel like it’s sitting down next to mum or it’s right there next to mum and I just feel like I need to acknowledge that connection here to, to um to your mum. OK?

Anthony: OK Anne. Thank you very much for allowing me to connect to you mum or you.

And now let me hang up on you before you can take anything away from what I said about the dog.

Last edited by Luke T.; 17th February 2007 at 06:46 PM.
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2007, 06:31 PM   #4
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
Man, if you read that fast enough, you can sounds just like John Edward.
Or Joe Pesci.

"Ok, ok, ok. OK? OK!"
Old 17th February 2007, 06:42 PM   #5
wahrheit
Philosopher

A classic (read: very lame) reading, and an excellent transcription by Luke.

Old man, cancer, mom, dad, grandfather, Jack, James, Mary - and a dog! Anthony Grzelka is a genius
wahrheit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Richard
Muse

There are more things in this reading... you have to be an Aussie to pick up on one of them and that dog.... he used it last time he was on the show! I'll give my take on it soon.

Richard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Big Les
Philosopher

The client seems noncommital, not looking too deeply for personal connections with what's being thrown out. The same reading could have gone a lot better if the person had been more desperate to find meaning and to answer the questions more fully in order to provide more "ins" for the psyhic to exploit.

Thanks for posting this; any more people can find would be very instructive.
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2007, 06:53 PM   #8
Luke T.

Anthony: Anne! Anne! You're killing me! No feedback except, "Mmmm" and "Yeah". I got NOTHING over here!

Anne: Yeah. Mmmm.
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2007, 07:24 PM   #9
ShowMe
Graduate Poster

Ok, let’s see what the Ghost Whisperer was able to actually tell Anne.

Her biological father is still alive.

Of course this was after he guess her father was dead & Anne corrected him. So on a 50/50 guess he got it right the second time.

And older male on her father’s side died from something in the chest area.

So if any male on her father’s side (grandfather, uncle, cousin, second cousin, great grandfather) EVER died of cancer, emphysema, heart attack, pneumonia, burst appendix, lung cancer, stomach ulcers, ruptured spleen, kidney failure, liver failure, gunshot to the chest or stomach, stab wound in the chest or stomach, a car accident that hurt his chest … you get the idea.

He was able to discern an “English connection” to an Australian family.

Wow, an “English connection” after being told about the Australian part. What on earth is an "English connection?" English ancestors? The father spoke English? She took English in high school?

There was someone named “ Jack or James” somewhere in her life. Also, there was a “Mary or Margaret”

…something with an M, yeah, definitely an M…can I buy vowel please….
(And did I read this wrong, or did she give this guy a “hit” because “mum” starts with an M?)

He was able to discern that a female child was close to her maternal grandmother.

Since it’s pretty universal that women visit their parents more (on average) than men do I’d say this was a pretty safe bet.

He was able to tell her that her grandmother’s death was mysterious to her.

A child who doesn’t understand death? Such insight! That’s almost as unlikely as a James or a John in the family!

He was able to tell her that her grandmother was dead, after she corrected him when she said the grandmother was still alive.

Apparently the grandmother’s death was a mystery to our ghost whisperer as well. Another 50/50 shot that he missed.

He was able to tell her that there was a dog in her life at some point.

I dunno. Maybe the dog was named James or John. Or Mary, maybe Margaret....

"I could tell you that it is because I don't want The Language Award to appear too cliqueish. But I won't. 'Cause you're not one of the cool people." - Tricky
ShowMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 09:45 AM   #10
wahrheit
Philosopher

Please, Richard or one of the other Australians, please tell me that the people sending in those photographs are under medical treatment and only forgot to pop in the pill that day.

Even the most fatuous believers can't possibly interpret these pictures as manifestations of ghosts or "orbs". We've all seen hundreds of such photographs, but those on Grzelka's website definitely take the cake. My favourites are this and this.
wahrheit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 02:13 PM   #11
Hindmost
Illuminator

I think this only applies to about half the people on the planet. Definitely statistically significant.

glenn

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Carl Sagan
Hindmost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 08:32 PM   #12
Richard
Muse

I'll send this off to the DJ soon. Any comments?
-----------------------------------------------

John Stanley, Radio 2UE

John

Richard Saunders here from Australian Skeptics and Mystery Investigators. You may remember I call in from time to time with a sceptical take on matters.

I heard your show last week when ‘The Ghost Whisperer’, Anthony Grzelka took calls in order to hear from and pass messages on from the dead.

John, you would be right to think I would naturally be sceptical of such an amazing claim. However, I always try to at least hear or see what the person is claiming and how they do at the end of the day. I submit that from what I heard, Anthony Grzelka was using 100% cold reading and not contacting the dead at all. I back up my opinion with an analysis of one of the readings from your show.

===========

* “I’ve got two different connections coming through here” could be twisted to mean anything later on. Does he mean two ghosts or one ghost that can linked with two members of the family or something else entirely? Anne, as you will see, mostly responds to Anthony with a simple “Yeah”, which in this reading means “Yeah, I hear what you said” and not “Yeah, you are right.”

* 50/50 guess? Well no, most of the time, men die younger than woman. He was just playing the odds and got it wrong on this occasion. Why would someone talking to ghosts get that wrong or even need to ask the question?

* An older male. This could mean grandfather, great-grandfather (x2), uncles, great-uncles, cousins and friend from dad’s side.

* Sadly common cause of death and an obvious guess. Again he is playing the odds.

* The “Yeah?” in the form of a question indicates that this is news to Anne.

* Here Anthony is widening his guess, allowing for a great chance of a ‘hit’. “lung area” could mean lung, heart, chest or any upper body ailment.

* Last try with that line and it’s getting him nowhere.

* Standard tactic in cold reading. If Anne answers by giving another country then it makes it look like Anthony ‘knew something he could not have possibly known’. As you know, many people in Sydney are first or second generation Australian.

* Very telling answer and one we would expect from a family that have been in Australia for many generations. Most likely from UK stock.

* There’s the fishing for an English connection. This would also mean anywhere in the UK or Ireland could count as a ‘hit’. Jack or James is pure fishing for names.

* Dad’s side drew blanks, time to try mum.

* Note that it’s Anthony who is asking all the questions here. Surely it should be the other way around.

* Standard cold reading trick. Agree with what you have just been told to make it seem you knew it all along.

* OK, Anne just told him she was close to her grandmother. He is just turning it back on her. Simply but effective trick.

* True for most people and especially children. Death of a loved one is a time of strong emotion and confusion.

* Anthony has guessed from what Anne said that she was only a child when her grandmother died.

* From ALL the members of mum’s side of the family, it would not be hard to find a “M” or a “M A” sounding name. Pure cold reading and fishing.

* Oh dear. Wrong again. But why? Anne said “Yeah M, that’s my mother.” Or ‘that IS my’. If Anne had said “Yeah M, that WAS my mother.”, this would have given Anthony the clue that mum was dead. But now we see that cold reading is all about turning a ‘miss’ into a ‘hit’.

* Sorry, this is getting pathetic. All this information came from Anne, not ghosts.

* Another question. Anthony does not have a clue and must ask.

* Again, death of a loved one is a time of emotion and confusion.

* Woof! OK, last time Anthony was on your show, she used the same ‘little dog’ trick. I even called up your show and commented on it. Since then I have incorporated it into the school show we do when students ask about ‘talking to the dead’. It’s amazing how many people can ‘connect’ with a little dog being in the family or belonging to friends.

* Thank you for allowing me to connection to who? There is no connection to anyone here.

John, I think you can see by this that Anthony might chat with the dead day and night, but on this occasion (and the time before) he used standard cold reading, right from the magic manuals on the subject. As with any magic trick, if you don’t know how it works, you can be fooled which is nothing to be ashamed about. Anthony might well respond by saying he is not right all the time. Fair enough, but why would be need to use cold reading at anytime?

I love magic and mentalism of which cold reading is a subsection. Performers in this noble profession have every right to fool and confound, but they are upfront about it and don’t take money by suggesting that the rabbit REALLY does appear from nowhere. Anthony charges $40 a seat by claiming he talks with the dead for real.

I would be happy to chat with you and your listeners at sometime about the sceptical outlook on such things. I have many hours of radio and talkback experience, even being a semi-regular on the Mike Williams show before he left 2UE.

Many thanks

Richard Saunders

Old 18th February 2007, 09:25 PM   #13
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Richard, was "Anne" a skeptic calling in? She seemed to be extremely non-commital almost all of the time. Even when she admitted to the 'M' being a reference to her Mother, she did not confirm the name. Anthony guessed Mary or Margaret. Anne simply said, "Yeah M, that’s my mother." She refused to give him the concrete information.

Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Here is a reading, what was given live on Sydney radio by this man : http://www.whispersfrombeyond.com.au Anthony Grzelka, who calls himself, “Australia’s Ghost Whisperer”. He charges about $40 a seat for his stage show.

I will be sending this transcript with my analysis to the DJ with whom Anthony Grzelka appeared. Before then I’d like to give you all the change to analyse the reading. Needless to say I found it very poor indeed.

The audio is here:
http://www.mysteryinvestigators.com/...2ue_feb_07.mp3

===========

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2007, 09:53 PM   #14
Floyt
Chordate

Location: Cape Town. Still not mugged. Plenty of chameleons though, and stepped on a cobra.
http://www.whispersfrombeyond.com.au/pic14.htm

Gor blimey! Now how convoluted do you have to think to not recognize that as CIGARETTE SMOKE?
Old 18th February 2007, 10:06 PM   #15
Richard
Muse

Originally Posted by Gr8wight View Post
Richard, was "Anne" a skeptic calling in? She seemed to be extremely non-commital almost all of the time. Even when she admitted to the 'M' being a reference to her Mother, she did not confirm the name. Anthony guessed Mary or Margaret. Anne simply said, "Yeah M, that’s my mother." She refused to give him the concrete information.

I do not know her and would think that is simply the way she answered the questions. For all I know she is the president of the Woy Woy Skeptics, but I think not.

Old 18th February 2007, 10:15 PM   #16
EternalSceptic
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by wahrheit View Post
Please, Richard or one of the other Australians, please tell me that the people sending in those photographs are under medical treatment and only forgot to pop in the pill that day.

Even the most fatuous believers can't possibly interpret these pictures as manifestations of ghosts or "orbs". We've all seen hundreds of such photographs, but those on Grzelka's website definitely take the cake. My favourites are this and this.

ROTFL, these pics brought me up for the whole day.
EternalSceptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 01:46 AM   #17
Ersby
Fortean

I'm not at all surprised that the medium guessed that the mother was still alive. The father was still alive (and, statistically, mothers tend to outlive fathers) and the sitter seems to refer to the mother in the present tense. Four out of five times those clues would've lead the medium to a safe hit. He must've been kicking himself when it came up a miss.
Old 19th February 2007, 02:31 AM   #18
T'ai Chi
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to see an objective mathematical analysis.
T'ai Chi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 02:36 AM   #19
Flo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by T'ai Chi View Post
Go on, do it, we're all ears ...
Flo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 02:50 AM   #20
Ersby
Fortean

Originally Posted by Flo View Post
Quote:
Go on, do it, we're all ears ...
At first glance, it looks entirely possible. Not many unquantifiable statements. If I find time, I may have a go.
Old 19th February 2007, 02:55 AM   #21
Flo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ersby View Post
At first glance, it looks entirely possible. Not many unquantifiable statements. If I find time, I may have a go.
I'm sure it can be done, but what is it supposed to bring ?
Flo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 02:58 AM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Lets' see how generic this reading was:

Quote:
....snip...

Well this of course just applies to Anthony - I mean how could Anne or anyone else say "Are you sure it's just two - I'm getting 4?"

Quote:

My answer: No, so I'm with Anne.

Quote:

My answer: OK, yep (after all this relates to Anthony nothing that about Anne or me).

Quote:

My answer: Could be a connection, several male relatives have had cancer.

Quote:

My answer: OK - lung area - well now it's wider its a definite hit! Several make relatives have had "lung area" issues.

Quote:

My answer: Yes! A hit - my grandfather on my father's side died from a heart attack!

Quote:

My answer: English - always happy to answer his questions.

Quote:

My answer: Not too sure if this is meant to be the same person? If so then the previous hit wasn't a hit because my Grandfather name was not a Jack or James.

Quote:

My answer: Yeah. (Again this is about Anthony and I'm presuming Anne like me isn't a mind reader so like Anne I'll assume he's telling the truth....)

Quote:

My answer: Yeah. (Yet again this is about Anthony so I'm still assuming Anne like me isn't a mind reader so like Anne I'll assume he's telling the truth....)

Quote:

My answer: Yeah. (Well surprise, surprise yet again this is about Anthony so still lacking mind reading skills I'll assume he's telling the truth....)

Quote:

My answer: I'm not bloody interested in you, tell me something about me and my family!!

Quote:

My answer: A resounding YES! He's done it a 100% accurate hit... oh hold on he was asking Anne not telling her... oh well not a hit.

Quote:

My answer: Thanks for believing me.

Quote:

My answer: "'cause" - what do you mean because? Surely it's 'cause Anne just told you she was close to her grandmother on her mother's side?

Quote:

My answer: Yeah... (because like Anne I haven't a clue what he means but seems to want some kind of response)

Quote:

My answer: Ah-ha - a hit to one of his guesses - sorry statements! There was some "mystery" (uncertainty) about "how things happened around her" but of course this hit relies on me supplying the meaning to his statement, in other words it's a crafty worded question, he is not actually telling me anything.

Quote:

My answer: Er Anthony - what do you mean "go back to mum's side" we've just been talking about my mother's side of the family - remember you moved us on from my father's side....

Quote:

My answer: This is a hit for me, this matches my mother's first name.

Quote:

My answer: Yes! Another hit, oh hold on he was asking me again.... Perhaps he was doing a reading for me because my mother is still here.

Quote:

My answer: No. (I mean my mother isn't dead - well not as of 45 minutes ago when I was speaking to her). However remember he only knows it's Anne's mother because he asked Anne for that information.

Quote:

My answer: No. And yet again even though Anne said "yes" it isn't a hit since he's just asked her for that information.

Quote:

My answer: No - and Anne's doesn't seem that certain, not surprising because yet again he is trying to get her to supply the information to make a hit.
Quote:

My answer: Mmm.. indeed! I'm with Anne here - what on earth is he babbling about, oh a dog... er right he's in touch with my mother apparently and he's blabbering on about some dog that may or may not have been my dog or my mother's dog?

Quote:

My answer: If you say so Anthony, I mean remember you're supposed to be telling me this and if you say a "small dog, it’s like a Jack Russel or a very, very little Terrier" who I'm I to argue with you? I mean I can't read your bloody mind can I?

Quote:

My answer: ?

Quote:

My answer: OK - if you feel that is what you need to do, no idea what it has to do with Anne or me but if it makes you happy.

Quote:

My answer: Alright... one quick question to you - what bloody connection!?
Old 19th February 2007, 03:00 AM   #23
Ersby
Fortean

Originally Posted by Flo View Post
I'm sure it can be done, but what is it supposed to bring ?
Hmm, that's true - it may not be worth it with this kind of reading. It's hard to tell when the sitter says "yeah", if they mean "yeah, that's right" or just as a normal "I'm still listening" noise that people tend to make over the phone.
Old 19th February 2007, 03:05 AM   #24
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Hmm, that's true - it may not be worth it with this kind of reading. It's hard to tell when the sitter says "yeah", if they mean "yeah, that's right" or just as a normal "I'm still listening" noise that people tend to make over the phone.
Listening to the MP3 - must of the "yeahs" seem to be the polite "I'm listening". (He really doesn't give her much chance to give any feedback.)
Old 19th February 2007, 03:07 AM   #25
Ersby
Fortean

Yeah, I just listened to. In fact, some of them sound like a polite way of saying "not really".

Richard, was this the worst reading of the show? The best? Average?
Old 19th February 2007, 03:44 AM   #26
wahrheit
Philosopher

Quote:
That's my favorite part of a reading that includes the name guessing spiel. I always wonder, what would the psychic "feel" if it was me, wahrheit, who called in and gets the reading? My English is good enough to give this clown a couple of hms and yeahs before he starts going through some of the most common English firstnames. What should I answer him, after he turned my Kraut grandfather into a James, Jack, or John?
Old 19th February 2007, 03:56 AM   #27
Richard
Muse

Yeah, I just listened to. In fact, some of them sound like a polite way of saying "not really".

Richard, was this the worst reading of the show? The best? Average?
There were two readings. Here is the full segment with another reading at the end.

http://www.mysteryinvestigators.com/...ue_feb_07a.mp3

Old 19th February 2007, 04:04 AM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Thanks Richard.... oh boy oh boy - "a brother, husband or a close friend"

ETA: " ... I don't know if you've lost a brother, there's a man standing here coming forward here would come across to me as like a brother or like a husband or a very close friend..."

Last edited by Darat; 19th February 2007 at 04:07 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2007, 04:17 AM   #29
Ersby
Fortean

Hmm, the second woman sounds older, so he goes for a male figure like a brother etc.

That brings up a no, so he extends the guesses by putting it further back in time, hoping that she knows at least one male of her generation who died.

And if they died younger, then it's likely to be in an accident. He's still playing the odds.

He also says it was a tragic death (as opposed to a fantastic death?!).

His big hit is the name. D-a David, Davey, Daniel which the sitter can match to someone she knows who died tragically.

He also says the deceased "took some responsibility" for their passing, usually a reference for alcohol use or an accident. This is unacknowledged due to lack of time.

All of the guesses are simply following the best odds, given the information.
Old 19th February 2007, 04:25 AM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And he really was playing the odds with the names:http://www.thinkbabynames.com/popula...%28NSW%29/2005

ETA: http://baby2see.com/names/australian...oys_names.html
Old 19th February 2007, 04:27 AM   #31
Ersby
Fortean

Yup, I did a bit more searching, and it seems that Daniel was even more popular in the past. (Using the sats from New South Wales, Daniel was 8th in 2006 (as per national figures) but 2nd in 1995.)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal