ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags headaches

Old 20th July 2003, 03:25 PM   #1
sorgoth
Muse

Why do headaches hurt more when I look down?

Well, I've got a headache, and I notice that whenever I do and I look down, it hurts more. Apparently,it's like this for a lot of other people too. Why?
sorgoth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2003, 03:39 PM   #2
arcticpenguin
woo ban clan

What kind of headache? Migraine, eye strain, sinus, whacked in the head with a hammer?
Old 20th July 2003, 04:12 PM   #3
sorgoth
Muse

From my eyes to my temples. ...and beyond!
sorgoth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2003, 04:33 PM   #4
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

It's your brain slamming against the back of your eyeballs.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2003, 04:37 PM   #5
arcticpenguin
woo ban clan

I'm picking something up...

You wear eyeglasses. You have been reading a book or using the computer all afternoon.

When you take off your glasses and close your eyes, the pain receeds. Putting a warm damp washcloth over your eyes and forehead feels good.
Old 20th July 2003, 05:03 PM   #6
sorgoth
Muse

Yup. Actually taking off the glasses and the damp cloth thing works...

Still doesn't explain why a headache would hurt more when looking down, or moving too fast.
Old 20th July 2003, 05:11 PM   #7
LucyR
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by arcticpenguin
Putting a warm damp washcloth over your eyes and forehead feels good.
Awww, ithn't that thweet! Little AP knows just what to do when he has a headache. Such a smart boy! Then, if he's lucky, mummy tucks him in and reads him a story.
LucyR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2003, 11:54 PM   #8
Yahweh
Ayay ashay ayay

Unless you are unnaturally tall, I would say looking down at the ground forces your eyes and brain to quickly adjust to the perspective (usually much closer) and proximity of objects. Not to mention it shifts the fluids inside your ear that tell you which direction is "up".

I would also say there is some psychological principles as well. When you look down (or subconsciously realize you are looking down) you may become more aware of the pain. If you work for a while and forget about the headache, the pain may seem less severe.

Stay out of flourescent lighting when you can.

(Please alert me if my explanations are at all "stupid", I wasnt able to google up any websites with useful information.)
Yahweh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2003, 03:21 AM   #9
Deetee
Illuminator

Is it worse when you look down (but keep the head steady) or if you flex your neck?
Deetee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2003, 06:12 AM   #10
Jon_in_london
Illuminator

try holding your breath and jumping up and down vigorously for as long as you can without passing out...........

Jon_in_london is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2003, 06:30 AM   #11
arcticpenguin
woo ban clan

I think your headache is due to eyestrain. You might want to run this by your eyecare professional.

Since your eyes are having trouble focusing (out of date eyeglass prescription, or maybe you are becoming 'more mature' and need bifocals), the muscles around your eyes and temples are straining to help with squinting/focusing. So even though the cause is eyestrain, it is actually a muscular problem. That accounts for your specific symptoms.
Old 21st July 2003, 08:58 AM   #12
Phaycops

Hm. I get reeeallly bad headaches when I don't have enough caffiene, and when that happens I can't look down, bend over or lay down because it hurts a lot more. Could that be because of the fact that caffiene constricts your blood vessels? Just curious.
Phaycops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2003, 11:46 AM   #13
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Why do headaches hurt more when I look down?

Quote:
Originally posted by sorgoth
Well, I've got a headache, and I notice that whenever I do and I look down, it hurts more. Apparently,it's like this for a lot of other people too. Why?
You're ashamed of your ugly feet.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2003, 12:16 PM   #14
Samus
space hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by Phaycops
Hm. I get reeeallly bad headaches when I don't have enough caffiene, and when that happens I can't look down, bend over or lay down because it hurts a lot more. Could that be because of the fact that caffiene constricts your blood vessels? Just curious.
I used to get those, too. Took me well over a year to cut down my coffee intake gradually (from 7-10 cups a day in college, plus soda). Then, one day, I just stopped. No headache. I still drank soda for another year+, but now I don't drink that, either.
Samus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2003, 12:41 PM   #15
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Why do headaches hurt more when I look down?

Quote:
Originally posted by sorgoth
You're probably not seeing the falling anvils.
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2003, 12:51 PM   #16
LucyR
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by dwb
from 7-10 cups a day in college, plus soda
LucyR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2003, 01:38 PM   #17
ceptimus
puzzler

Looking down stretches and tightens the muscles at the back of your neck. This applies more force to the back of the skull where the muscles are anchored, and so increases the pressure applied to the brain.

Hey that explanation must be true - there used to be something like that in some pain killer advert, Anadin?

ceptimus.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2003, 01:44 PM   #18
Phaycops

Quote:
Originally posted by dwb
I used to get those, too. Took me well over a year to cut down my coffee intake gradually (from 7-10 cups a day in college, plus soda). Then, one day, I just stopped. No headache. I still drank soda for another year+, but now I don't drink that, either.
Meh, I don't *mind* the headaches. I'm just wondering why they cause me so much pain when I bend over. I'm still going with causing blood to rush to my head, or something. Cutting down on my coffee intake seems a drastic approach to alleviating headaches considering all I need to do to alleviate the headache is have a cup of coffee
Phaycops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2003, 10:36 AM   #19
tracer
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by dwb
I still drank soda for another year+, but now I don't drink that, either.
You know, they do make caffeine-free soda pop.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology