ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 911 conspiracy theory

Old 27th March 2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Objectivity and balance out the window at Howstuffworks.com

Read the article on "How Conspiracy Theories Work" and tell me if you see the same thing I'm seeing?

From what I can see, the author (the founder of howstuffworks.com, no less) has stuffed his article with twoofer gibberish with almost no debunking or rebuttal. The main body of the article links to several twoofer sites but only one debunking resource. The same thing happens again with a list of links at the end of the article, all but one are pro-CT links.

Has the once reputable HowStuffWorks.com gone off the deep end?
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Dave1001
Illuminator

That's a site ripe for parody. howstuffdoesntwork.com filled with illustrations of gnomes, fairies, angels etc. propelling the inner workings of various devices
Dave1001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 08:25 PM   #3
FactCheck
Muse

Conspiracy Theory = "A theory seeking to explain a disputed case or matter as a plot by a secret group or alliance rather than an individual or isolated act."

I agree with this. Al Qaeda is not a "Secret group" therefore saying that Bin Ladin and AL Qaeda are the perpetrators of 9/11 does not make you a conspiracy theorist. The 19 hijackers are known.
FactCheck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 08:51 PM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

That is amazing pro-nutter bias, Sword! But I wonder if it's all that credible a source to begin with. Check this part out of their 9-11 Timeline:

Quote:
# 9:43 a.m. - Flight 77 hits the Pentagon.
# 10:05 a.m. - The South Tower falls.
# 10:10 a.m. - Flight 93 crashes in Pennsylvania.
As Gravy likes to say, they got it 100% wrong. Flight 77 hits the Pentagon at 9:37, the South Tower fell at 9:59 and Flight 93 crashed at 10:03 (or 10:06 according to some Deniers).

Regardless of whether this site had some credibility before, it is complete nutter now. I think this is a big deal.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 09:23 PM   #5
scooby
Muse

Originally Posted by FactCheck View Post
Conspiracy Theory = "A theory seeking to explain a disputed case or matter as a plot by a secret group or alliance rather than an individual or isolated act."

I agree with this. Al Qaeda is not a "Secret group" therefore saying that Bin Ladin and AL Qaeda are the perpetrators of 9/11 does not make you a conspiracy theorist. The 19 hijackers are known.
I think the fact that a poster called 'Factcheck' can post a tub o'********* like this, unchallenged, on this forum - speaks volumes.
scooby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 09:26 PM   #6
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by scooby View Post
I think the fact that a poster called 'Factcheck' can post a tub o'********* like this, unchallenged, on this forum - speaks volumes.
You are challenged on thinking. He said since we know who did it, it is not a CT, it is just a C.

short sweet just a C, and you truthers have no idea what that means?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 09:30 PM   #7
FactCheck
Muse

The fact that all you have are insults tells me I'm rght. It also tells me you're a mental midget who uses insults as a three legged stool. Don't make me take out the saw.
FactCheck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 09:48 PM   #8
scooby
Muse

The fact that all you have are insults tells me I'm rght. It also tells me you're a mental midget who uses insults as a three legged stool. Don't make me take out the saw.
But its a complete load of bollocks.

You're using hindsight, combined with a whole lot of 'what you've been told', to claim that the Sept 11th attacks were not a secret conspiracy - because today - 6 years later - 'everyone knows al-qaeda did it!' - hoot, slap of thigh

I've used more brain cells replying to this **** than it looks like you can afford to waste tying shoe laces. Buy some slip ons.
scooby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 09:59 PM   #9
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Pharyngula (well known and fairly reliable science blog) caught on to the fact that the site was BS about a year ago:

Quote:
There is this site called How Stuff Works that I've run into a few times, that has nice, short, kid-friendly summaries of, obviously enough, how stuff works. I hadn't used it much, but it seemed like a cool idea…until a reader suggested I take a look at the section on how evolution works.

It's terrible.

The author has a very, very poor understanding of basic biology, and it looks like the essay was simply spun off the top of his head, with a few quick glances at some websites. The author, Marshall Brain, is an electrical engineer and computer scientist, and it shows, embarrassingly enough.
He also points out that they have overly credulous articles on Witchcraft, Tarot Cards, and UFOs. But of course there is a different level of craziness here. And this is not an insignificant site; it's an eight on Google's page ranking scheme, which is huge; by comparison the NY Times website is a nine and Ford Motor Company's home page is a seven. Technorati ranks it as the 30th most cited website on the blogs.

And it's nutbar.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 10:17 PM   #10
Alareth
Philosopher

I only use How Stuff Works when tying to explain to a complete layman the mechanics behind things like dvd players and seatbelts.
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 10:17 PM   #11
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Have you got sick of us and so started being a prick to get yourself banned? JAQ.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 10:34 PM   #12
Totovader
Game Warden

But its a complete load of bollocks.

You're using hindsight, combined with a whole lot of 'what you've been told', to claim that the Sept 11th attacks were not a secret conspiracy - because today - 6 years later - 'everyone knows al-qaeda did it!' - hoot, slap of thigh

I've used more brain cells replying to this **** than it looks like you can afford to waste tying shoe laces. Buy some slip ons.
The dictionary seems to disagree with everything you've just said, here...

A conspiracy theory is not the same thing as a theory which contains a conspiracy.

I know you want it to be- but wishing won't make it happen. You're not on equal ground: the evidence undeniably points our way, and everyone is laughing at you.

Totovader's 9/11 Conspiracy Challenge Still unanswered!
Totovader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 10:37 PM   #13
scooby
Muse

Originally Posted by Totovader View Post

A conspiracy theory is not the same thing as a theory which contains a conspiracy.

I know you want it to be- but wishing won't make it happen. You're not on equal ground: the evidence undeniably points our way, and everyone is laughing at you.
Oh you can ride to the rescue and split hairs all day, anyone can read Factchecks triumphant nothing and just smell the 'woo'.
Old 27th March 2007, 10:40 PM   #14
Totovader
Game Warden

Oh you can ride to the rescue and split hairs all day, anyone can read Factchecks triumphant nothing and just smell the 'woo'.
I wish I could take the credit- but as I said, it's the dictionary that refutes your claim, here.

Not sure why you need to make it about factcheck...

Totovader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 10:45 PM   #15
scooby
Muse

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

Have you got sick of us and so started being a prick to get yourself banned? JAQ.
No, I've genuinely disliked most of you since I started posting here.
May I draw your attention to this section of the rules ....

"The JREF wishes civility be the norm and will endeavor to ensure that civility
will be the norm, however this does not mean that Members will be
insulated from all insults or challenges; the nature of the forum
inevitably involves strong emotions and opinions which can result in heated
exchanges.
The JREF also wishes the forum to be accessible to as many people
as possible and will endeavor to ensure that the content in the Forum is suitable for a mature audience."

My interpretation of this, is that if a position is found to be exceptionally distressing, say the persons an idiot, and posting like one - then you can say so.
Old 27th March 2007, 10:47 PM   #16
Totovader
Game Warden

No, I've genuinely disliked most of you since I started posting here.
May I draw your attention to this section of the rules ....

"The JREF wishes civility be the norm and will endeavor to ensure that civility
will be the norm, however this does not mean that Members will be
insulated from all insults or challenges; the nature of the forum
inevitably involves strong emotions and opinions which can result in heated
exchanges.
The JREF also wishes the forum to be accessible to as many people
as possible and will endeavor to ensure that the content in the Forum is suitable for a mature audience."

My interpretation of this, is that if a position is found to be exceptionally distressing, say the persons an idiot, and posting like one - then you can say so.
Depends on whether you're qualified to make that assessment or not...

Old 27th March 2007, 10:54 PM   #17
scooby
Muse

Does it now - does it mention Factcheck by name?
Odd place to find references to him and his posts - a dictionary.

This is the claim ...

You agree with this do you?
Old 27th March 2007, 10:56 PM   #18
scooby
Muse

Depends on whether you're qualified to make that assessment or not...
Well, considering the fact that about 20 of you need to share the burden of responding to me, believe me - I feel qualified.
Old 27th March 2007, 11:21 PM   #19
greyleonard
Thinker

I dixcovered & noted the same crap a couple months ago, in the Marshall Brain, dingleberry thread.

Last edited by greyleonard; 27th March 2007 at 11:35 PM.
greyleonard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2007, 11:38 PM   #20
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Scooby -
Edited by Lisa Simpson:  Inappropriate remark removed.

JamesB, Greyleonard, others - My formerly favorable opinion of howstuffworks.com was obviously not a fully informed one. I was not aware how silly they really are over there.

Mod WarningDo not advocate suicide.
Posted By:Lisa Simpson

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 28th March 2007 at 04:55 PM.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2007, 12:12 AM   #21
Mobyseven
Philosopher

You agree with this do you?
Yes, there was a conspiracy involving the terrorist organisation Al Queda that involved nineteen hijackers taking control of planes and flying them into American icons (the final destination of UA93 will forever remain the topic of informed speculation).

This makes it a conspiracy to commit an act of terror, but not a 'conspiracy theory' in the accepted sense.

The 'secret organisation/s' mentioned in the definition refer to organisations such as 'The Illuminati', or 'The New World Order', for which there is no proof of existance.

It can also extend to 'The Jews', 'The Zionists', or any other broad generalisation where there is no proof of any involvement in the conspiracy, or even necessarily any coherent organisation in place (just a shared ethnicity/religion) - e.g. 'The Blacks', 'The Muslims'.

Understand?
Mobyseven is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories