ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th April 2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Arus808
Philosopher

Westboro Church Members to protest at VA Tech Memorials

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but they are claming "bush" is responsible

Of course, I despise these @$$4@+$

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1818775/posts

Quote:
Fred Phelps and his merry band of misanthropes at Westboro Baptist Church plan to picket the funerals of those killed in the Virginia Tech shootings, according to a message on their website:

"WBC will preach at the funerals of the Virginia Tech students killed on campus during a shooting rampage April 16, 2007. You describe this as monumental horror, but you know nothing of horror -- yet. Your bloody tyrant Bush says he is 'horrified' by it all. You know nothing of horror -- yet. Your true horror is coming. 'They shall also gird themselves with sackloth, and horror shall cover them; and shame shall be upon all faces, and baldness upon all their heads' (Eze. 7:18).

Why did this happen, you ask? It's simple. Your military chose to shoot at the servants of God today, and all they got for their effort was terror. Then, the LORD your God sent a crazed madman to shoot at your children. Was God asleep while this took place? Was He on vacation? Of course not. He willed this to happen to punish you for assailing His servants."

“Life may begin at 30, but it doesn’t get real interesting until about 150.”
“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”
Arus808 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Arus808 View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but they are claming "bush" is responsible

Of course, I despise these @$$4@+$

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1818775/posts
Kind of makes me wish the CIA would take this guy for a 'rendition'.

Guys like this have to keep upping the ante with their vitriol. The tragic thing is that at some point someone on one side or the other is going to snap and someone's going to end up dead.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 10:59 AM   #3
JamesB
Master Poster

I am not a supporter of violence, but if anything should happen to occur to these idiots, I would not shed a tear.
I said lots of things in NPH that I would not say today and that I did not repeat in NPHR, where I specifically corrected at least some of the errors I had made in that earlier book, written 5 years ago.
-David Ray Griffin-
JamesB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 11:08 AM   #4
Minadin
Master Poster

These jerks used to protest at our campus all the time - the University of Kansas is only a few miles away from their headquarters. They would make their very young children hold up signs that say things like "god hates fags" and other worthless, despicable tripe.

Once, when Bishop Desmond Tutu visited our campus to talk about apartheid, they were protesting outside the arena where he was speaking. Two of the more vocal ones started shouting obscenities at my blind friend, because she was holding the hand of another girl. I guess they assumed she was gay.

These people also have protested soldiers' funerals accross the midwest - they think that god is killing our soldiers because we've become too permissive a culture in regards to homosexuality (mostly) and other moral issues.

They're freaks. All of them. And, they're acting at all like christians should. I know that most "actual" churches have denounced them. They're doing this mostly for publicity and are probably best left ignored.
Minadin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 11:09 AM   #5
HeyLeroy
Vegan Cannibal

They're the "god hates fags" people, right?

ETA: Just saw Minadin's post. Never mind.
I ♣ my baby Harp Seal.
HeyLeroy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 11:16 AM   #6
scissorhands
Banned

There was an excellent documentary shown recently in the UK about this particular cult/family.
Titled "The most hated family in America" and by Louis Theroux.
They like to picket funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Check out their website at www.godhatesfags.com
scissorhands is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 11:31 AM   #7
NickUK
Critical Thinker

They hate Sweden too! http://www.godhatessweden.com/

To quote:

Quote:
Sweden is a land of sodomy, bestiality, and incest.
You forgot Ikea, Fred!

"that is a popular misconception or LIE...not saying you are lying, just saying that is not true..."
NickUK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 11:34 AM   #8
Disbelief
Master Poster

I really, really hope there is a god and heaven/hell. That way, these creeps can get to the pearly gates and the look on their faces as god kicks them to hell would be priceless.
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 11:44 AM   #9
scratchy
Muse

I cant imagine how they can get away with this **** without a massive lynch mob chasing them down.
scratchy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 11:50 AM   #10
NickUK
Critical Thinker

Michael Moore's most glorious moment

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

(note: unsafe for work)

"that is a popular misconception or LIE...not saying you are lying, just saying that is not true..."

Last edited by NickUK; 18th April 2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: nsfw
NickUK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 11:53 AM   #11
azazal
Ninja Wave: Techno Ninja

I know it's horrible to say, but wouldn't be a wonderful act of irony if Phelps and co were struck by lightning while protesting.
Old 18th April 2007, 12:01 PM   #12
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!

This "church" does this to get people to confront them. Then, they file lawsuits, and prod for settlement out-of-court. The whole thing is just to generate income via being as obnoxious and objectionable as possible, and it's worked for them for years. Phelps is the most disgusting attention-seeking dirtbag in the world, IMHO.
Old 18th April 2007, 12:29 PM   #13
HawksFan
Muse

I agree wholeheartedly with Jim's last statement. Phelps is a complete waste of perfectly good carbon atoms. It's people like Phelps, Jim Jones, David Koresh, TheReverandJesseJackson (yes, that's all one word now), etc, that make me never want to belong to any organized religious sect ever.
HawksFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 12:35 PM   #14
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster

The Westboro Church was the subject of the Chasers War on Everything in Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_o5TjAOPa4

The language is a little strong...
I've accomplished more without film school than most people, such as yourself, will EVER accomplish. Period. Jealousy is a bitch, and I'm sorry you're experiencing it, but don't spew ******** like that and expect to not be corrected. This is why you were banned from my forums in the first place.
- Dylan Avery on the budget of his film.
The Silver Shadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 01:09 PM   #15
Juustin
Muse

As much as I hate Fred Phelps, I think he should be studied objectively. There's a lot of debate about getting morality from the Bible vs. an internal morality. Most Biblical "Literalists" have enough internal morality to brush off the especially violent parts of the Bible and not trumpet them. Phelps is a perfect example of what happens when one seems to be completely lacking the internal morality, and relies solely on Biblical passages as a moral guide.
Old 18th April 2007, 01:13 PM   #16
ComsatAngel2017
Muse

Hmm. For those who might be nearby Phelps et al, you know a bait catapult isn't very expensive, and wearing surgical gloves means no fingerprints on the ball-bearings ...

Mod WarningPlease do not make remarks that could be construed as threats against other people.
Posted By:Lisa Simpson

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 18th April 2007 at 01:23 PM.
ComsatAngel2017 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 01:15 PM   #17
TraitorBasher
Banned

Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
I am not a supporter of violence, but if anything should happen to occur to these idiots, I would not shed a tear.
They bring children with them so I definitely would shed a tear.
TraitorBasher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 01:18 PM   #18
Juustin
Muse

Originally Posted by Comsat Angel View Post
Hmm. For those who might be nearby Phelps et al, you know a bait catapult isn't very expensive, and wearing surgical gloves means no fingerprints on the ball-bearings ...

Without trying to act like I'm on a soapbox, please leave those types of comments to people like Jackchit.
Old 18th April 2007, 01:20 PM   #19
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Comsat Angel View Post
Bad idea, and has no place here.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 01:24 PM   #20
scissorhands
Banned

Originally Posted by TraitorBasher View Post
They bring children with them so I definitely would shed a tear.
Indeed they bring their children, brainwashed from the moment they can speak.
One of the saddest moments in the documentary I saw, was a child of theirs holding up a deeply derogatory sign at the funeral of a soldier and being pelted by an object from a passing car.
scissorhands is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 01:27 PM   #21
TraitorBasher
Banned

How ironic. I believe Comsat Angel was one of the people who said they would contact the social services about Jackchit. He is now advocating assaults on children.
TraitorBasher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 01:27 PM   #22
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster

I just find it very dishonourable when people bring their children to boost their numbers for an ideology that not many subscribe to, and one, in the manner of WBC, does not promote tolerance at all.
I've accomplished more without film school than most people, such as yourself, will EVER accomplish. Period. Jealousy is a bitch, and I'm sorry you're experiencing it, but don't spew ******** like that and expect to not be corrected. This is why you were banned from my forums in the first place.
- Dylan Avery on the budget of his film.
The Silver Shadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 01:42 PM   #23
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by scratchy View Post
I cant imagine how they can get away with this **** without a massive lynch mob chasing them down.
They can't.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 02:00 PM   #24
Thunder
Banned

Good for them. I feel bad for the van though.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 02:15 PM   #25
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!

Originally Posted by Juustin View Post
As much as I hate Fred Phelps, I think he should be studied objectively. There's a lot of debate about getting morality from the Bible vs. an internal morality. Most Biblical "Literalists" have enough internal morality to brush off the especially violent parts of the Bible and not trumpet them. Phelps is a perfect example of what happens when one seems to be completely lacking the internal morality, and relies solely on Biblical passages as a moral guide.
They don't use them as any moral guide. They use them as a smoke screen to get emotional responses from people, so they will attack them. Then they have an excuse to drag the unfortunate victim of their little scam into court, so they can settle for some easy money. They have absolutely no moral compass whatsoever. They are con artists, nothing more.
Old 18th April 2007, 02:34 PM   #26
Dr. Lao
Critical Thinker

I would love to see Phelps try this against a mafia member.
Being a Conspiracy Theorist is easy, you never have to provide proof, you only demand that others disprove you. And when they do disprove you, you can accuse them of being part of the conspiracy, and make up a new one.
Dr. Lao is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 02:35 PM   #27
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!

Originally Posted by Dr. Lao View Post
I would love to see Phelps try this against a mafia member.
If he could come up with an angle to make money at it, he probably would.
Old 18th April 2007, 02:39 PM   #28
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
These people disgust me, and they're passing it down to their kids. "Reprehensible" doesn't begin to do them justice.

And happy birthday, Chipmunk.
Old 18th April 2007, 02:49 PM   #29
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

How ironic. I believe Comsat Angel was one of the people who said they would contact the social services about Jackchit. He is now advocating assaults on children.
No, he isn't.
Mashuna is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 03:08 PM   #30
ComsatAngel2017
Muse

Well, I mentioned the catapult, and the ball bearings. What other posters construe about the juxtaposition of both items is up to them - as for the Mods*, perhaps it ought to have been framed as a "question". As for Traitorbasher, I am flattered that you follow my posts so closely. Watch as I give updates on taking information to Pendleton Police Station! Also, thank you Mashuna.

*slap on wrist duly noted, won't happen again. Sorry.
ComsatAngel2017 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 03:12 PM   #31
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Well if they're gonna be there I'm gonna be there.

Old 18th April 2007, 03:21 PM   #32
Minadin
Master Poster

Ah, those are the motorcyclists came to some of the funerals of our local servicemen, when Phelps' brood was protesting them. Very respectful people, these bikers. They stood with their bikes, off to the side, didn't say anything antagonistic to anyone, just revved up the bikes a bit as people were entering and leaving the funeral, and maybe once or twice during the service, so that the mourners, the friends and family of the deceased, were able to pay their respects in relative peace, and didn't have to hear the hateful slurs shouted out by this group of evil nutcases.
Minadin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 03:29 PM   #33
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Kind of makes me wish the CIA would take this guy for a 'rendition'.

Guys like this have to keep upping the ante with their vitriol. The tragic thing is that at some point someone on one side or the other is going to snap and someone's going to end up dead.
As long as it is them, I have no problem. After their burials I suspect I will feel a severe call of nature.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 03:31 PM   #34
ktesibios
Worthless Aging Hippie

S'funny, just a couple of days ago I ran across an account of how counter-protestors handled Phelps' little band of ghouls at the trial of one of the murderers of Matthew Shephard:

Quote:
In April, Phelps and his group were surrounded by a dozen counter-demonstrators in flowing white angel costumes with 10-foot wingspans rising seven feet high. The angels turned their backs on Phelps, smiled and silently blocked him from the view of passersby at that time. And in a secret plan worked out with police in advance, Phelps' group was confined to a demonstration pen, while the angels were allowed to surround him. Romaine Patterson, a close friend of Shepard's who organized the angels, said the agreement with police was that if they remained silent and did not hold hands, they wouldn't be considered demonstrators and could remain outside the fence to surround Phelps.
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/19...ard/print.html

Now that's just plain classy.
Old 18th April 2007, 03:35 PM   #35
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Once again, you are misquoting/misinterpreting. His post was not the one that mentioned children and no one here advocated/is advocating the killing of children. Another example of my point about the Thread where you made accusations against the mods,
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 05:02 PM   #36
Anti-sophist
Graduate Poster

Is it considered bad form to say something theoretical and noble about the first amendment and how the manner in which we treat idiots like this defines us?
Old 18th April 2007, 05:04 PM   #37
chipmunk stew
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
These people disgust me, and they're passing it down to their kids. "Reprehensible" doesn't begin to do them justice.

And happy birthday, Chipmunk.
Thanks!

Wait...those two thoughts weren't connected were they?
chipmunk stew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 05:19 PM   #38
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

In the huff, no one has raised what I thought was the most interesting part of these God-botherers and their rant (my bolding):

Quote:
Why did this happen, you ask? It's simple. Your military chose to shoot at the servants of God today, and all they got for their effort was terror. Then, the LORD your God sent a crazed madman to shoot at your children. Was God asleep while this took place? Was He on vacation? Of course not. He willed this to happen to punish you for assailing His servants.
Explanation?

-Gumboot

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 05:24 PM   #39
thisninjascrazy
Scholar

Fred Phelps doesn't need eplanations... he's got the 'divine word' of God. He never seems to grasp the fact that most of the people in world are not - and have never been historically - Christians. According to him, pretty much everybody but him and his brood are destined to go to hell. That's cool. At least I'll be surrounded by people I know when I get there. I just hope Anna Paquin does something really evil before she dies so I can finally have a shot with her
thisninjascrazy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2007, 05:26 PM   #40
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
In the huff, no one has raised what I thought was the most interesting part of these God-botherers and their rant (my bolding):

Explanation?

-Gumboot
i think phelps's angle is that terrism is gods punishment for our acceptance of homosexuality, therefore terrorist = servants of god (angles of death or soemthing)

so terrorism happens because we dont execute homosexuals (liek the bible tells us to)

and school shootings happen because we try to stop terrorists

the nest tragedy will be because we tried to stop school shootings

and so on and so forth

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories