ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags haunted houses

View Poll Results: Would you buy a house that was the scene of violence or other checkered events?
The events in the home's past would not effect my decision. I would buy the house if it were a good fit 84 64.62%
I would not consider it a detriment to the home and may buy it. However, I would have to think a lot as to whether I could deal with being reminded about it. 22 16.92%
I would consider such a place to be very creepy, if only because of the thoughts it invokes. I might still buy it, but only if it were unusually good otherwise 10 7.69%
I would not want to buy such a house. However, I might do so if there weren't any decent alternatives. However, I'd be apprehensive of it. 1 0.77%
I would pretty much cross that house off my list, because it's just too morbit and weird to live with. 3 2.31%
I would not want to live in the house because, although I do not believe in ghosts, it would be hard not to consstantly wonder every time something strange happened.... 3 2.31%
I would not buy the house because I would be legitimately concerned about angry spirits, hauntings or other effects of the past events 0 0%
On planet X, people either complain of the lack of a planet X option or check it, if it is there, thus not partisipating in the poll and being stupid 7 5.38%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th May 2007, 10:47 AM   #1
DRBUZZ0
Banned

Would you buy a house with a creepy past?

This is something I am actually wondering about based on a couple conversations I have had with a few friends. It's related to skepticism and I'd actually like to get some legitimate opinions recorded.

Imagine the following situation:

You have the opportunity to purchase a home which is in an area you are moving to, has all the features and floorspace you are looking for and is at a very good price. (though not ridiculously low, just very prices to sell)

There is only one problem: The previous owners of the home had been met their end in a very violent and graphic crime. The home no longer has any of the traces of the events, because the carpet has been replaced, walls sanded and repainted, any blood cleaned completely.

However, there are still reminders in the house of what had happened, even if you would not know about them without knowing the events. For example, there might be exposed beams where someone had been hung, a rack next to the fireplace which held the poker used to beat someone to death, and next to it the brick floor of the fireplace looks exactly as it did in a crime scene photo, except in the photo it was covered with blood. In the bedroom there is a new telephone jack and the traces of a wall patch, where the line had been torn from the wall as someone tried to call out. An obviously new window replaces one which had been broken into.

Therefore, even if the crime was not apparent, even your limited knowledge of the events means that it will be hard to not see parts of the home as associated with certain events of the crime or to speculate about the mysteries of the crime. For example, if it were not known where one of the persons died and whether some of the blood spatter may have been fabricated etc.

The crime, however, is not really well known about or infamous enough to make your house something for people to gawk at or drive by and take pictures of. So that is not something that would need to be considerd

Would you consider buying such a house???
DRBUZZ0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 10:53 AM   #2
nw843x
Scholar

I would have no problem buying such a house.
Ghosts, bad vibes, and other irrationality have no place in my life.
nw843x is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Z
Variable Constant

In a heartbeat. Then I'd charge morons a fairly high price to spend the night in my 'haunted' house.

Heck, there was some show on TV where a family discovered the house they just bought used to be a funeral home, and how creeped they were about it. I'd LOVE to own an old funeral home! That would so rock.

Of course, I was the kid that wanted to have a hearse for his first car...
Old 9th May 2007, 11:02 AM   #4
LawnOven
robot

Did they catch the guy who did it?
Old 9th May 2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I was tempted to vote for the "being stupid" option, but I voted for buy it. I woudn't have a problem with the house, if everything else was okay.

However, I probably would act all fraidy-cat like, in hopes of driving the price down some more. Since I can't cure others irational beliefs, I might as well exploit them
Old 9th May 2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Cleon
King of the Pod People

How come there's no option for "Frack yeah! I'd be more inclined to buy the creepy house?"

Not only because you can charge morons to sleep in the "haunted" place for the night, but you can play up the creep value, get listed in books like "Weird America," and boost your property value. Hell, turn the place into a hotel/restaurant or something. Do "ghost tours." Set up a little museum/gift shop.

Woo may be bogus, but it's damn profitable.
Old 9th May 2007, 11:14 AM   #7
malbui
Beauf

My grandparents' house up in the mountains was built in 1768, is as creepy as hell and has had no end of nasty things happen near it. Never stopped me enjoying being up there and I'd have no problem buying somewhere similar. And of course as a young man having the key to such a place proved to be an advantage with nervous female friends: "I've stuck your sleeping bag in the room there but you can come in with me if you find the place creepy."
Old 9th May 2007, 11:18 AM   #8
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
How come there's no option for "Frack yeah! I'd be more inclined to buy the creepy house?"
Me too!

I'd buy a haunted house if there was one around which was generally thought to be haunted.

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
My grandparents' house up in the mountains was built in 1768, is as creepy as hell and has had no end of nasty things happen near it. Never stopped me enjoying being up there and I'd have no problem buying somewhere similar. And of course as a young man having the key to such a place proved to be an advantage with nervous female friends: "I've stuck your sleeping bag in the room there but you can come in with me if you find the place creepy."
Now, that's class!
Old 9th May 2007, 11:27 AM   #9
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

With the realization that "Creepiness' is often hand-in-hand with mechanical, physical, or environmental problems (i.e, critter-infested attic/walls, loose/badly installed gutters, stairs, floors, tree limbs in contact with the roof/siding--I'd thoroghly inspect for those items, but the fact that a Lizzie Borden clone lived and died messily there would not be a problem.
I would want a certification that all human remains, both fluid and solid had been properly removed and the place completely disinfected.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275

Last edited by rwguinn; 9th May 2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 11:27 AM   #10
Scottch
Scholar

I need another option in the poll

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I was going to live in it for the rest of my life.

But if I have to sell it later, at some point in time, I would think that it may influence the buyers negatively. In this housing market - I would be afraid if I had to move. I think people would like a "haunted" house - but I don't think they would like to own it.

Scott
Scottch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 11:28 AM   #11
KingMerv00
Penultimate Amazing

Creepy past is a bonus. Betcha I could get a discount.
KingMerv00 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 11:32 AM   #12
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!

I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, my wife, being of the woo persuasion, would never allow it. I voted what MY choice would be, however, it would get over-ridden by the boss.
Old 9th May 2007, 11:33 AM   #13
Z
Variable Constant

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post

Not only because you can charge morons to sleep in the "haunted" place for the night, but you can play up the creep value, get listed in books like "Weird America," and boost your property value. Hell, turn the place into a hotel/restaurant or something. Do "ghost tours." Set up a little museum/gift shop.

Woo may be bogus, but it's damn profitable.
A Dalek after my own heart!

That's why I didn't vote - no 'more likely to buy due to creep factor' option.
Old 9th May 2007, 11:35 AM   #14
Z
Variable Constant

You know, it sounds to me like we've got a very small market here of creepy house buyers! We ought to make a list, and if we do buy a creepy house, we have a list of potential buyers if we want to sell later!

... My house is dull. A window was stolen once (it was one of those expensive stained glass deals), and it used to be a junk shop. So this house isn't on our list.
Old 9th May 2007, 11:37 AM   #15
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

Heck yeah, and I would go for the creepy discount. The Mrs. is not so brave. I wanted to buy a cool house where the backyard backed up to a cemetary. She would have none of it. I even told her that dead people make good neighbors. They are very quiet and they don't complain about anything. She would not even consider it.
Old 9th May 2007, 11:57 AM   #16
fls
Penultimate Amazing

I came up against this type of question when house hunting and faced with very limited options (in this case, the absolutely perfect house next to some high voltage power lines). Ultimately we decided that regardless of our feelings, the only thing that mattered would be the perception of others when it came time to sell the place.

Linda
fls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 01:25 PM   #17
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

I once bought a really nice-looking house that was the scene of a quadruple murder-suicide. When I first saw the place, it had been cleaned up. I even checked the basement ceiling to verify that the bloodstained floorboards had been replaced.

I had to deal with people dropping by at all hours of the day and night just to look around and take pictures.

People would park in my driveway to take pictures, or try to peek into the windows, or even pull pieces of siding off the house for souveniers! I finally installed a chain-link fence around the place, and posted "No Trespassing" signs. At least then the people would knock, but it was still any time pf the day or night.

I finally sold the house.
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 03:13 PM   #18
Zygar
Master Poster

I'd mostly have to think over buying it due to the potential impact to the value of the home. As long as people are superstitious, it could definitely impact the value of the home.
Zygar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 03:25 PM   #19
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

We lived for about four years in a house whose former owner had shot his wife and then himself in the bedroom. It never bothered us.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 03:26 PM   #20
opqdan
Scholar

Originally Posted by Zygar View Post
I'd mostly have to think over buying it due to the potential impact to the value of the home. As long as people are superstitious, it could definitely impact the value of the home.
That is a very good point.

I think that I would probably be more likely to purchase the house as I could feign superstition and probably get the price lowered considerably (does this make me a bad person, or a good negotiator?). Other than that, the crime would have no effect on my decision. If the crime were suitably forgettable, then I wouldn't worry that it would come up years later when I am trying to sell it. I'm not sure whether murders are one of those things that you are required to tell potential buyers though.
opqdan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 03:32 PM   #21
Dunstan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by opqdan View Post
That is a very good point.

I think that I would probably be more likely to purchase the house as I could feign superstition and probably get the price lowered considerably (does this make me a bad person, or a good negotiator?). Other than that, the crime would have no effect on my decision. If the crime were suitably forgettable, then I wouldn't worry that it would come up years later when I am trying to sell it. I'm not sure whether murders are one of those things that you are required to tell potential buyers though.
In California it is. Not sure about elsewhere.
Dunstan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 03:32 PM   #22
BenK
Critical Thinker

I wouldn't be worried about spirits but it would depend on what incident occurred there and the likely hood of it happening again. In your example it probably wouldn't effect my decision.
BenK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 03:38 PM   #23
WhatWouldZeusDo
Student

My first thought is that it would have to depend on the noteworthiness of the checkered past of the house. I'd hate to have to put up with gawkers on a frequent basis wanting to check out the house where the 18th Baroness of Hamfordshiregarden-Upon-Flop met her unpleasant end.
WhatWouldZeusDo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 03:41 PM   #24
darnell11
Thinker

I wouldn't buy a house like that, not because I believe in ghosts and bad vibes, but because I know I will think about what happened every so often, like if someone was shot dead in the living room, I would think about that when I'm there and bored. I tend to dwell about things.
darnell11 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 04:30 PM   #25
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

My wife and I used to own a house which I would have had no problem convincing any believer dickhead was actively and actually haunted - especially anyone who had seen or read The Amityville Horror.

The house was incredibly cold. Even on the hottest day of summer, we could have all of the doors and windows open all day and it would still be 10-15 degrees [C] cooler inside in late afternoon. In winter, we had to burn a cord of wood a week to avoid hypothermia - and this place has a warm climate; temp never gets down to freezing.

It was originally a 1920s school house, but had had all sorts of weird bits added on during the 1950s, '70s and '90s.

We had one bedroom which was only used fortnightly for weekends when my son stayed. Despite being completely closed, the room used to attract an incredible number of blowflies - hundreds and hundreds of them. I finally figured out how they were getting in - through a .4 cm gap in one of the wooden windows. The flies would have had to crawl through that gap, including a right-angle turn at the corner of the frame to get in, which is odd in itself as there was nothing to attract them to the room. (Not that could be smelt/seen by a human, anyway)

The other rooms in the house stayed virtually insect-free. I could be cooking steak with the windows open and no flies would come into the kitchen.

It was a very peculiar house.
Old 9th May 2007, 04:58 PM   #26
Carnivore
Salad Dodger

Historical significance would be a big bonus for me. I'd love to buy a small castle, and the bloodier it's history the better.

Assuming the resale value is not an issue, I would be more likely to buy the house with the interesting history than the one with no story attached to it.
Old 9th May 2007, 05:13 PM   #27
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

It may depend on the extremity of the events in the house. For example, the house in which Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka raped and murdered two young women[wikipedia.org] would probably have too many "bad vibes" associated with it. As a skeptic I don't believe in bad vibes, but for some reason knowing a house I was looking at had something that horrific happen in it would give me pause. (The Bernardo house was demolished because no one would buy it. I'm not sure if another one was built on the lot or not.)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 05:41 PM   #28
Solus
Graduate Poster

Someone could have been murdered in the room I'm sitting in who knows? For me the haunted house factor would raise the price of the home as it would be an interesting story to tell others.
Solus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 05:58 PM   #29
Beth
Philosopher

THere was a horrific crime committed in my area about 30 years. At one point the house was sold without informing the buyers of the history. The buyers wanted to back out when they found out and a lawsuit resulted. The upshot was that disclosure of such a history is required for the sale to be a legally binding contract.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live there. The house would be a constant reminder of the crime and I wouldn't want to think about it that often.
Richard Dawkins, July 2005, 10:45

http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_daw..._universe.html
Beth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 06:09 PM   #30
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

Hey some of us live in a house that has a creepy present as well as past.

All great truths begin as blasphemies. - George Bernard Shaw

God is evil. As soon as you accept that, it all makes sense. - Sledge
grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 06:13 PM   #31
Slimething
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
I once bought a really nice-looking house that was the scene of a quadruple murder-suicide. ...I had to deal with people dropping by at all hours of the day and night just to look around and take pictures.

People would park in my driveway to take pictures, or try to peek into the windows, or even pull pieces of siding off the house for souveniers! I finally installed a chain-link fence around the place, and posted "No Trespassing" signs. At least then the people would knock, but it was still any time pf the day or night.
This is why I checked the Planet X option. If I bought it, I would turn it into a woo-rist trap as Z has suggested but I wouldn't live in it. Too many kooks invading my privacy and I love my privacy.
Slimething is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 06:22 PM   #32
Jorghnassen
Illuminator

To go with what fls and fnord pointed out, this kind of creepiness may attract weirdos (like you lot), unwanted attention, cause "bad vibes" among the not so skeptical and may be a hard sell afterwards. I would really think twice before buying such a place, even if it was a bargain.
Old 9th May 2007, 06:24 PM   #33
Kopji

A google on the words "stigmatized real estate" is a lot of fun.

It would be so cool to buy a 'haunted' house. Everyone in the family would need to be ok with it though.

I'd worry a little about skeptical jokers sneaking by at night to make creepy sounds.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 06:33 PM   #34
Minarvia
fading orb

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Me too!

I'd buy a haunted house if there was one around which was generally thought to be haunted.

Now, that's class!
I'm with you! I'd LOVE the chance to experience what the house may have to offer. Plus, maybe it would sell for less money than it was worth because some people would be scared off by the alleged "haunting."
Minarvia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 07:04 PM   #35
EvilSmurf
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JimBenArm View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, my wife, being of the woo persuasion, would never allow it. I voted what MY choice would be, however, it would get over-ridden by the boss.
My answer too. Good to see another one in a "mixed marriage" here.
EvilSmurf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 07:06 PM   #36
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LawnOven View Post
Did they catch the guy who did it?
My reaction EXACTLY. That and wondering if friends would be forever saying, "Is this that house where that awful murder happened? Did you know he blah blah blah and then blah blah blah and there was blood all over the blah blah blah..."
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 07:44 PM   #37
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Scottch View Post
I need another option in the poll

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I was going to live in it for the rest of my life.

But if I have to sell it later, at some point in time, I would think that it may influence the buyers negatively. In this housing market - I would be afraid if I had to move. I think people would like a "haunted" house - but I don't think they would like to own it.

Scott

Seconded.
I voted planet X because this option was not available.

My house is about 70 years old and I was thinking about making up a story about some gruesome murder and telling my friends. I could easily write a news story and print it on newsprint. All I need is a good way to age paper.
Old 9th May 2007, 09:28 PM   #38
The Bad Astronomer
Muse

I am in the process of buying a house. When we were looking, I specifically said to Mrs. BA, "I hope we find a house that the owner thinks is haunted! We don't care, and he'll be eager to sell at a lower price!"
The Bad Astronomer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 10:35 PM   #39
Warge
Thinker

Am I the only one hesitating on this? Not because of the "possibility" of haunting, but for decency reasons.

To make a comparison: A few years ago, I went to the beaches in Normandie (yes, those beaches) to see how they were, and it was truly great. What was not so great was that I realized that people use the beaches just as any other beach, namely getting a tan, bathing and looking at girls. I personnally found that a little disturbing considering that thousands of people died on those beaches not that long ago.
It didn't surprise me though - living people are living people and do living people stuff. Had I lived there, I wold probably have been on those beaches too. Just as I would after some thought, have bought that house.
Warge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2007, 11:13 PM   #40
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Now, that's class!

I was pretty proud of it. I never witnessed anything paranormal in that house but there were a few in-and-out-of-body experiences, as it were.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal