ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th May 2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Orangutan
Graduate Poster

Oral sex linked to throat cancer

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6639461.stm

Orangutan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Deetee
Illuminator

Relax....
It makes a very small contribution to overall oral cancers.

This bit is probably more relevant:
Quote:
"We know that after age, the main causes of mouth cancer are smoking or chewing tobacco or betel nut, and drinking too much alcohol."
Noooooooooo!
"Homeopathy: I never knew there was so little in it." - BSM
Deetee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Belz...
Fiend God

Dammit. The dilemma.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 10:02 AM   #4
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Dammit. The dilemma.
Some may find the alternatives too hard to swallow...
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Orangutan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Some may find the alternatives too hard to swallow...
Come on now.
Orangutan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 10:28 AM   #6
Arkan_Wolfshade
Philosopher

Another good reason for everyone (men & women) to get the HPV vaccine.
Arkan_Wolfshade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 10:32 AM   #7
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
Come on now.
That didn't go down well with you?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 10:35 AM   #8
SimonD
Rouge Element

That didn't go down well with you?
I got the jizz(t) of it.

'If there is an intelligent designer, why is the product so flawed?' - Diogenes

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=99
SimonD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 10:39 AM   #9
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

These jokes make me gag.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 10:45 AM   #10
Miss Anthrope
Illuminator

I think, as a species, we're going to have to accept that anything remotely fun is going to cause cancer.
Miss Anthrope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 10:47 AM   #11
roger
Penultimate Amazing

That sucks.
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 10:50 AM   #12
joobz
Tergiversator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
These jokes make me gag.
I knew that this thread would be heading towards disaster.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 11:00 AM   #13
Kilgore Trout
Wuse

Originally Posted by Miss Anthrope View Post
I think, as a species, we're going to have to accept that anything remotely fun is going to cause cancer.
Although this only applies to men, but not everything.
Old 10th May 2007, 11:19 AM   #14
boooeee
Dart Fener

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Dammit. The dilemma.

Dilemma?
boooeee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 11:25 AM   #15
Ashles
Pith Artist

Quote:
But experts said a larger study was needed to confirm the findings.
I bet they did.
Old 10th May 2007, 11:29 AM   #16
Hawk one
Emperor of the Internet

Originally Posted by Deetee View Post
Relax....
It makes a very small contribution to overall oral cancers.

This bit is probably more relevant:

Noooooooooo!
I don't smoke, nor drink... Sounds like I'll be getting ahead in this game.

If only health care was like video games. Then the ones who could pay for it would get it, and the ones who couldn't would die, like nature intended for people without money. A perfect system, right? RIGHT?
Hawk one is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 11:33 AM   #17
roger
Penultimate Amazing

I have faith; I think we will lick this problem.
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 11:35 AM   #18
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Ashles View Post
I bet they did.
When I read that I spat all over my monitor...
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 11:38 AM   #19
joobz
Tergiversator

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
When I read that I spat all over my monitor...
I bet you did.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 12:11 PM   #20
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by roger View Post
That sucks.
Actually, I think it blows.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 12:12 PM   #21
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Joobz' sig
Ye find yeself in yon dungeon. Ye see a FLASK
Obvious exits are NORTH, SOUTH and DENNIS.
Get ye flask.

Old 10th May 2007, 12:15 PM   #22
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ashles View Post
I bet they did.
It'll be hard, but I for one am going to stand up and volunteer to help in this study.
Old 10th May 2007, 12:19 PM   #23
SirPhilip
Master Poster

Doesn't the BBC have better things to do.
SirPhilip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 12:22 PM   #24
Cello Man
Graduate Poster

If the findings of this study don't constitute a bonafide disproof of a loving god, I don't know what else could.
Old 10th May 2007, 12:23 PM   #25
chulbert
Muse

This research is all fluff.
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 12:45 PM   #26
ambrose
New Blood

Originally Posted by chulbert View Post
It makes you wonder who the head researcher was.
ambrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 12:51 PM   #27
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

I see men being concerned, but would it rub women the wrong way too?
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 12:55 PM   #28
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Wow, you are all eating this out.

I mean up.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 12:58 PM   #29
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

I'm sure that there will be a solution in hand, any time now...
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 01:01 PM   #30
Cecil
Muse

Originally Posted by chulbert View Post
Well, you'd have to be pretty thick not to get any of this.
Cecil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 01:02 PM   #31
Big Les
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Although this only applies to men, but not everything.
Result!
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 01:04 PM   #32
wahrheit
Philosopher

(I wonder if any more play on words is possible here.)
wahrheit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 01:09 PM   #33
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wahrheit View Post
Depends if we're prepared to get on with the job at hand...
Old 10th May 2007, 01:11 PM   #34
LostAngeles
Penultimate Amazing

Depends if we're prepared to get on with the job at hand...
I don't about you, but I have better things to do, like eat at the seafood buffet down at the Y...
LostAngeles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 01:13 PM   #35
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LostAngeles View Post
I don't about you, but I have better things to do, like eat at the seafood buffet down at the Y...
Their protein shakes are pure headonism
Old 10th May 2007, 01:19 PM   #36
LostAngeles
Penultimate Amazing

Their protein shakes are pure headonism
I can see you've never tasted the fish tacos then. Although the sauce does vary from day to day...
LostAngeles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 01:33 PM   #37
Starthinker
Philosopher

So, my boss walks in and naturally I minimize IE so she doesn't know I'm surfing the JREF during work and we chat and when she leaves I look down and the IE button in my taskbar at the bottom of my desktop reads "Oral sex li...". You guys are just trying to get me in trouble.

If everyone just kept their mouth shut we wouldn't even need this study.
Starthinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 01:43 PM   #38
wunky
gun-toting weasel

I guess this problem will keep coming up
At the dead point of the afternoon/ where I at the sea's edge/ watch the waves poised/ between their climax and release/ posed with ineluctable grace/ between two gravities/ between the grave and the graver still/ I long for this dead point/ stretching the climax from the release,/ this finely spun short nothingness/ no longer spinning
wunky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 02:19 PM   #39
tkingdoll
Penultimate Amazing

I think this study is fake.

You've all been suckered.

Not that I've read it all, I'm saving it fer later.
tkingdoll is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2007, 02:25 PM   #40
RationalVetMed
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by wahrheit View Post
You're right, only a cunning linguist could come up with anything better.

Yuri

'No Way to Treat a Friend: Lifting the Lid on Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine' book now available to order.
RationalVetMed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology