ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th May 2007, 06:38 AM   #1
DataPacRat
New Blood

"Bioenergetic Intolerance Elimination"?

A local news article started ringing my skepticism warning bells starting from the first paragraph, with a technobabble-sounding 'medical' technique called "Bioenergetic Intolerance Elimination" (BIE). A Google search for the phrase in quotes turns up precisely 45 hits, hardly the sign of a peer-reviewed procedure...

Pasting from www . niagarathisweek . com /news/article/91510
(The system still doesn't let me paste URLs properly.):

Grimsby resident offers allergy relief through new technique

GRIMSBY--Only 42 people in the world practice a new technique of Bioenergetic Intolerance Elimination (BIE) and a Grimsby local is one of them.

Getting rid of your allergy symptoms sounds impossible, right? Wrong.

Laurie Southall, who practices in Holistic Nutrition, is offering her services on eliminating all symptoms of allergy.

After graduating from the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, Southall received her license to practice Holistic Nutrition. Working out of her office in Grimsby, she can determine different types of food and/or environmental intolerances and "clear" them as well. Eighty percent of intolerances are "cleared" permanently in the first session.

Using needles has always been thought of as the only way to determine what allergies you suffer from. However, food and environmental sensitivity testing is now the easiest way possible.

Southall uses an accurate, non-invasive and painless method of analysis called Bioenergetic Intolerance Elimination (BIE) that literally takes minutes to perform. "Muscle testing" is a scientific method used to detect sensitivities using ones own muscle strength and the static electricity present in the body.

After being tested for sensitivities, Southall uses an ancient Chinese meridian system together with modern technology, which allows BIE to clear both food and environmental sensitivities. The procedure is absolutely painless and only requires 10-15 minutes. The technique has had great success. No needles or drugs are used.

Most people can expect immediate results but some with severe intolerances can take up to 4-6 weeks to be relieved of their allergy symptoms, said Southall.

Although removing allergy symptoms is the main interest in this technique, it isn't the only thing that Southall can help relieve. She can also help in the relief of various types of emotional problems including grief, anger, envy, rage and many more using the same procedure as the allergy symptom relief.

For more information or to book an appointment, call Southall at (905) 309-1243, or visit the natural health website at www . naturalhealthtech .com
DataPacRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Big Al
Mage Questor

Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
"Muscle testing" is a scientific method used to detect sensitivities using ones own muscle strength and the static electricity present in the body.
My hayfever was unallayed when

a) I was County Under-16 Cross-Country, Mile and 1500m champion, I cycled and ran every day, I went to the gym regularly and was bursting with fitness.
b) I worked in the space industry and spent most of the day wearing antistatic wrist and shoe straps. I also worked out, ran and cycled on a regular basis and practiced Wado Ryu Karate.

I first noticed my intolerance to shellfish and shirt collar dressing at stage a).

If allergies depend on muscle strength and the amount of static in a body, how can a wave of the hand (or whatever) cure this? Even if they could tone your muscles up to 100% and bring every cell in your body to ground potential, does this mean you get your allergies back after the first intensive workout or walk across a nylon carpet during a thunderstorm?

She can also help in the relief of various types of emotional problems including grief, anger, envy, rage and many more using the same procedure as the allergy symptom relief.
How convenient! Isn't this just typical of woo versus conventional medicine? You can't use aspirin to cure diarrhoeia or cimetidine to cure back pains, but just about every woo remedy works equally well on EVERYTHING!

Hang on, I can just about believe that....

OK, I believe this method WILL work just as well on emotional problems as it will on allergies.
Old 11th May 2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Mojo
Mostly harmless

A local news article started ringing my skepticism warning bells starting from the first paragraph, with a technobabble-sounding 'medical' technique called "Bioenergetic Intolerance Elimination" (BIE). A Google search for the phrase in quotes turns up precisely 45 hits, hardly the sign of a peer-reviewed procedure...

This page was the first hit on the search I did. Here's a sample extract:
Quote:
A Holistic Allergist®, defines allergy as: “A bioenergetic counteraction to a given substance”. BIE is based on the science of Quantum Physics. Every impulse, atom, molecule, organelle, cell, tissue, organ, thought and emotion has its own magnetic frequency or magnetic signature that our body’s kinesthetic sense can recognize, evaluate, and respond to. Those frequencies that resonate with the body are perceived as beneficial. Those that do not resonate are perceived to be harmful We refer to these as an allergy or intolerance.

We also know that energy flows through the body in pathways called “meridians”. The existence of these meridians has been proven using modern electromagnetic imaging technology. It is through these pathways that the brain and nervous system receive information about the functioning of our body as a whole. Any stress, be it nutritional, emotional, or electromagnetic can result in an energetic imbalance and a heightened sensitivity or intolerance to those frequencies the body no longer resonates with. Through the precise rebalancing of the energy system, the symptoms that one experiences as an allergy or intolerance can be diminished or eliminated.
That's some high-grade woo! "Energy", "magnetic frequency", "energetic imbalance" ... "the body’s cells are literally being reprogrammed to recognize the samples’ frequency so that it will no longer react when exposed to it."

And, of course, "Quantum Physics".

The Quackometer says:
Quote:
The quacking noise is deafening. This web site is riddled with loosely defined terms and possibly pseudoscientific language with huge sprinklings of alternative medicine mumbo jumbo. It is full of scientific jargon that is out of place and probably doesn't know the meaning of any of the terms. Using lots of physics terms like this rarely has any meaning outside of physics books. It shows no sceptical awareness and so should be treated with a suspicious mind. It also looks like this site is trying to sell stuff. Buyer Beware!

This site has a has a currently measurable quackery content of 10 Canards

(The Canard is the internationally recognised SI unit for Quackery.)

Quote:
Southall uses an accurate, non-invasive and painless method of analysis called Bioenergetic Intolerance Elimination (BIE) that literally takes minutes to perform. "Muscle testing" is a scientific method used to detect sensitivities using ones own muscle strength and the static electricity present in the body.
Aha. Applied kinesiology is in there as well.

Quote:
After being tested for sensitivities, Southall uses an ancient Chinese meridian system together with modern technology, which allows BIE to clear both food and environmental sensitivities. The procedure is absolutely painless and only requires 10-15 minutes. The technique has had great success. No needles or drugs are used.
...and acupuncture (but without those nasty needles, and with a nice shiny scientific-looking machine).

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2007, 11:57 AM   #4
DataPacRat
New Blood

Well then; since I'm not the only one who finds the article's claims hard to swallow, perhaps someone might be willing to help me compose a letter to the paper that published it ( via one of the options at www . niagarathisweek . com /about/contactus ), and perhaps suggestions on who else in the local area it would be a good idea to contact?
DataPacRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2007, 12:33 PM   #5
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

"Bioenergetic intolerance" sounds like you're allergic to ATP.
Old 11th May 2007, 02:58 PM   #6
TheGline
Scholar

This all also sounds disturbingly like NAET.
TheGline is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal