ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags homeopathy

Old 11th May 2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Vir-X. A Neo-Homeopathic™ synthesis of Magneto Geometry & Scalar Neo-Radionic cloning

Quote:
Vir-X™ is a new and novel formulation designed and created exclusively by Life Technology™. The proprietary Neo-Homeopathic™ synthesis utilises aspects of traditional homeopathy, Malcolm Rae's Magneto Geometric methods and Scalar Neo-Radionic™ Cloning. Vir-X™ is in effect is a super potentised Neo-Homeopathic™ preparation which contains a potent energetic signal which stimulates the human vital force. It is the strength of the vital force that ultimately determines a man's sexual potency. Vir-X™ stimulates the overall vital force of the organism.
To me, it sounds like some hucksters had a contest to see who could constuct the most over-the-top combination of scientific-sounding words. An elegant hodgepodge of 19th and 21st century bunkum.

I have to give them a tip of the hat for trademarking Neo-homeopathic: a very shrewd move.

My favorite part is
Quote:
Because Vir-X™ is a Neo-Homeopathic™ formulation and therefore contains no active drug material whatsoever, there is no danger whatsoever of interaction with perscription [sic] medicines
Neither the FDA or the FTC can touch these guys.

Oh, the money I could make if I could just give up my morals (and my desire to use (and spell) words correctly).
Old 11th May 2007, 11:20 AM   #2
joobz
Tergiversator

bolding mine.
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Quote:
Vir-X™ is a new and novel formulation designed and created exclusively by Life Technology™. The proprietary Neo-Homeopathic™ synthesis utilises aspects of traditional homeopathy, Malcolm Rae's Magneto Geometric methods and Scalar Neo-Radionic™ Cloning. Vir-X™ is in effect is a super potentised Neo-Homeopathic™ preparation which contains a potent energetic signal which stimulates the human vital force. It is the strength of the vital force that ultimately determines a man's sexual potency. Vir-X™ stimulates the overall vital force of the organism
Wow, that's good.
By giving you something that is not defined (a potent energetic signal) we can increase something in you that is not defined (Vital force)
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2007, 11:28 AM   #3
EternalSceptic
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by joobz View Post
bolding mine.

Wow, that's good.
By giving you something that is not defined (a potent energetic signal) we can increase something in you that is not defined (Vital force)
Vital force NOT DFINED ??
My dayly morning prayer:
Dear God, you have taken away my vital force. Pleeeaase take away my desire as well.

Wait -- do we have the same definition of "vital force" ?
EternalSceptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Hang on! We'd better distinguish between "vital force" and "elan vital." Otherwise we're gonna say stuff we don't mean and mean stuff we don't say.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2007, 12:09 AM   #5
Schneibster

Every day, I require a really good belly laugh to maintain my composure and poise. Thank you for contributing this article.

Neo-HomeopathicTM.

mmmmmmmmmmBWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
Schneibster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2007, 12:17 AM   #6
autumn1971
Master Poster

I hate to quibble, but none of the words in the OP is the least bit scientific-sounding.
It is more akin to a bunch of hucksters getting a big bucket of scientific syllables and throwing them together.
"The graviforcinal quarkitization of the radiaphysical longilatinal neurosphinctiral crapitational hoodwink proves..."
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2007, 12:25 AM   #7
Schneibster

Ever seen a jargon generator?
Schneibster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2007, 12:52 AM   #8
Zep
Banned

Wasn't that one up above?
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2007, 06:00 AM   #9
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I hate to quibble,
I'd like to see evidence that you hate it.

Quote:
but none of the words in the OP is the least bit scientific-sounding.
"Cloning" is not scientific?
"Geometric" is not scientific?
"Scalar" is not scientific?
I'll grant that "magneto" is more technological than purely scientific, but I consider technology to be a child of science.

______
ETA: Their description may not be scientific sounding to one educated in science, but to hoi polloi those words (and the ones you made up) sound very scientific.

Last edited by Ladewig; 12th May 2007 at 06:04 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2007, 05:13 PM   #10
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

If it doesn't reverse a polarity it's not even worth looking at.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology