ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags application , pavel ziborov , telepathy

Closed Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 04:24 AM   #81
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,575
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
Guys.. there is 25 cards, with 5 different symbols, all that symbols has a color assigned to them. Star is with Red background, Waives are Blue.. Square is brown, circle is yellow, cross with green. That how it is..
OK, Christine was right then. However, if this is the case, why bother with 25 cards? Everything will be exactly the same if there are only 5.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 05:40 AM   #82
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
OK, Christine was right then. However, if this is the case, why bother with 25 cards? Everything will be exactly the same if there are only 5.
5 by 5 each it does make differents with odds.. and does not if card will be returned to the dack each time after being pulled out.. i am using 25 cards in 25 envelopes..so when card pulled its not seen by the person who pulling it as well.. what ever came up.. as envelopes closed..
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 05:45 AM   #83
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,575
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
5 by 5 each it does make differents with odds.. and does not if card will be returned to the dack each time after being pulled out.. i am using 25 cards in 25 envelopes..so when card pulled its not seen by the person who pulling it as well.. what ever came up.. as envelopes closed..
Hang on, you said earlier that your friend will "transmit" the card to you. If they can't see it, what exactly are they doing? Wouldn't it be easier for you to have the envelope yourself. If you can't see the card then it doesn't make any difference if you or someone else have it.

Also, if the cards are replaced each time, how can it make any difference if there are 5 or 25 cards? You have a 1/5 chance of guessing one right in either case.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 06:52 AM   #84
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
well when my friend pulling card.. he don't see what card he pulls, than he open an envelope.. and start to transmit it to me..

as i said i still not sure if its clairvoyance work or more some kind of telepathy, but when i was 'training" i done it with a friend.. as i said i might try to do it my self maybe..

If card replaced every time fine...its does not make differents for odds.. but as i would prefer that they would be all in envelope so who ever pull them out don`t know what card pulled out before an envelope open..

so.. again lest clear it out. To bit 1000 odds i have to get 12 correct or 13? out of 25 cards.. every time card that pulled out of dack, get back to envelope..siled and returns to the dack..than dack get reshuffeled and new card pulled out..

so..?
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 07:27 AM   #85
OXEL
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 252
Pavel, there is another issue you haven't addressed yet. There is rule 12. Do you know it? Did you have any media coverage in the past?
OXEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 07:50 AM   #86
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
Post media...:)

Originally Posted by OXEL View Post
Pavel, there is another issue you haven't addressed yet. There is rule 12. Do you know it? Did you have any media coverage in the past?
well... is 3 news papers articles would be enough? 1 Maltese news paper (in English), 2in London (in Russian), there was one in France but i don`t have it on me..there was a few radio programs that i took part in..but i don`t have it recorded never been on TV but could take part just never wanted.. so is that enough?
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 07:56 AM   #87
OXEL
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 252
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
well... is 3 news papers articles would be enough? 1 Maltese news paper (in English), 2in London (in Russian), there was one in France but i don`t have it on me..there was a few radio programs that i took part in..but i don`t have it recorded never been on TV but could take part just never wanted.. so is that enough?
As was mentioned above, we can't speak officially for the JREF. But I'm sure that would be enough!
OXEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 10:55 AM   #88
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,363
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
well... is 3 news papers articles would be enough? 1 Maltese news paper (in English), 2in London (in Russian), there was one in France but i don`t have it on me..there was a few radio programs that i took part in..but i don`t have it recorded never been on TV but could take part just never wanted.. so is that enough?
From here:

"[...] 12. This offer is not open to any and all persons. Before being considered as an applicant, the person applying must satisfy two conditions: First, he/she must have a “media presence,” which means having been published, written about, or known to the media in regard to his/her claimed abilities or powers. This can be established by producing articles, videos, books, or other published material that specifically addresses the person’s abilities. Second, he/she must produce at least one signed document from an academic who has witnessed the powers or abilities of the person, and will validate that these powers or abilities have been verified. [...]"

Pavel_do, it should be worth it to inquire at the sources to send you copies of said articles or transcpipts/recordings of said radio programs. If they deal specifically with your claimed ability, you should be good on the media presence requirement.

Can you also provide a "document from an academic who has witnessed (your) powers or abilities"?
Such a document could be a simple affidavit, reading something like this: "I have witnessed the claimed power by (your name) in a demonstration and I can offer no rational explanation for it." (Signed by the academic, date, address, etc.)

Failing to meet one of those requirements makes discussion about your test protocol moot, simply because there will be no test. Since you hadn't brought it up, I assumed you had everything in place to send in your application with excellent chances of acceptance.

Again, only the JREF can answer officially: challenge@randi.org
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 11:40 AM   #89
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
Post ok.:)

Originally Posted by GzuzKryzt View Post
From here:

"[...] 12. This offer is not open to any and all persons. Before being considered as an applicant, the person applying must satisfy two conditions: First, he/she must have a “media presence,” which means having been published, written about, or known to the media in regard to his/her claimed abilities or powers. This can be established by producing articles, videos, books, or other published material that specifically addresses the person’s abilities. Second, he/she must produce at least one signed document from an academic who has witnessed the powers or abilities of the person, and will validate that these powers or abilities have been verified. [...]"

Pavel_do, it should be worth it to inquire at the sources to send you copies of said articles or transcripts/recordings of said radio programs. If they deal specifically with your claimed ability, you should be good on the media presence requirement.

Can you also provide a "document from an academic who has witnessed (your) powers or abilities"?
Such a document could be a simple affidavit, reading something like this: "I have witnessed the claimed power by (your name) in a demonstration and I can offer no rational explanation for it." (Signed by the academic, date, address, etc.)

Failing to meet one of those requirements makes discussion about your test protocol moot, simply because there will be no test. Since you hadn't brought it up, I assumed you had everything in place to send in your application with excellent chances of acceptance.

Again, only the JREF can answer officially: challenge@randi.org
well the articles in the News papers are about my abilities like this one that in English.. http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/2005/10/02/tw/index.html 2 other in Russian and about my clairvoyance like one of them written by Journalist who came to me for a reading.. and honestly i had no idea she is journalist.. i can translate if if that will be necessary..

about Academic witnessing, i am aware of it and when i sent my application that seemed to got lost in mail.. there was a letter from an Academic from London, lady that works at the London University ( not sure if i can write her name she is Academic (Professor, Dr) of Physic and mathematic)...Ill have to get new one now if ill be able to get in touch after ill be back to London in couple of weeks.. as she was going to move. or ill try to find some one alts..

just have to questions..to make them clear a bit for me ..
so the articles HAVE TO SAY MENTION SPECIFICLE MY ZENER CARDS TESTS?? or just that they talk about me as a psychic and clairvoyant would be enough..? cause in that case i should go to a newspapers and ask them to write about it.. that for me seems a bit weard..

about Academic.. is there any specific academic title has to sign witnessing?? or as long as it academic is enough? cause i can try to find some one in Malta who would agree to see test and sign it that would save a few weeks

p.s.
regarding JREF can answer officially.. i think when we`ll agree with all like odds, performens than ill be able to ask if it is all OK from JREF, as for now they hasn't reply still to my letter about how many cards out of 25 would be evident enough and if the person who will be 'transmitting" cards will be in same room opposite me but ill have my eyes and ears covers to prevent any signaling..

Last edited by pavel_do; 14th August 2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: forgoten something =)
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 12:14 PM   #90
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,363
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
well the articles in the News papers are about my abilities like this one that in English.. http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/2005/10/02/tw/index.html 2 other in Russian and about my clairvoyance like one of them written by Journalist who came to me for a reading.. and honestly i had no idea she is journalist.. i can translate if if that will be necessary..

about Academic witnessing, i am aware of it and when i sent my application that seemed to got lost in mail.. there was a letter from an Academic from London, lady that works at the London University ( not sure if i can write her name she is Academic (Professor, Dr) of Physic and mathematic)...Ill have to get new one now if ill be able to get in touch after ill be back to London in couple of weeks.. as she was going to move. or ill try to find some one alts..

just have to questions..to make them clear a bit for me ..
so the articles HAVE TO SAY MENTION SPECIFICLE MY ZENER CARDS TESTS?? or just that they talk about me as a psychic and clairvoyant would be enough..? cause in that case i should go to a newspapers and ask them to write about it.. that for me seems a bit weard..

about Academic.. is there any specific academic title has to sign witnessing?? or as long as it academic is enough? cause i can try to find some one in Malta who would agree to see test and sign it that would save a few weeks

p.s.
regarding JREF can answer officially.. i think when we`ll agree with all like odds, performens than ill be able to ask if it is all OK from JREF, as for now they hasn't reply still to my letter about how many cards out of 25 would be evident enough and if the person who will be 'transmitting" cards will be in same room opposite me but ill have my eyes and ears covers to prevent any signaling..
Yes, the media coverage should cover your Zener Cards claim. From here:

"[...] 12. This offer is not open to any and all persons. Before being considered as an applicant, the person applying must satisfy two conditions: First, he/she must have a “media presence,” which means having been published, written about, or known to the media in regard to his/her claimed abilities or powers. This can be established by producing articles, videos, books, or other published material that specifically addresses the person’s abilities. Second, he/she must produce at least one signed document from an academic who has witnessed the powers or abilities of the person, and will validate that these powers or abilities have been verified. [...]"
I highlighted the relevant section for your convenience.

Pavel_do, should you need to apply again, I recommend you send certified mail. You do realise you are sincerely considering taking the JREF Challenge which means you intend to win USD 1,000,000, right? I'm saying this because there have literally been dozens of people in the past two years who claimed genuine powers but couldn't spring for the money to send a certified letter. Let's say statements like this do not add to your credibility here.

Please consider also that the JREF has quite some work on their hands, especially with applicants who are a bit further on their way to a preliminary test. Right now, you are on square one and still seem a bit all over the place.

The more specific and precise you tell us - and the JREF - what you can do and how you specifically intend to prove it, the sooner a test can be arranged. Have you read the Achau Nguyen test protocol?
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 12:51 PM   #91
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
yes i did read Achau Nguyen test protocol and i wrote about it..i am finding it fair and as i said the guy complicated things for him self..
I will send my new application by Fedex or DHL this time with no doubts.
Just for now than ill try to "put in a few lines" my claim and will discuss it with all of you till it will seems more or less fine ..still lets make it clear as my calculations are bad.. 12 out of 25 would be good enough and bit odds necessary to pass first test..??

And mean wile still will ask JREF if the Articles has to be specifically say about my Zener card tests.. or still my articles can be fine.. as for me as i said its seems a bit weard to go and ask press to write an article about it cause it says "First, he/she must have a “media presence,” which means having been published, written about, or known to the media in regard to his/her claimed abilities or powers. " ..i am claming i am a clairvoyant and can "predict" what card puled out without seeing it first..as a clairvoyant..the articles refers to my gift as a clairvoyant and prediction.. so it should be good enough.. ?? what do you think... i know only JREF can answer and if the rule is the rule than its fine.. but still.. what do you think?? is anywhere there is information that for example the guy Achau Nguyen produced articles specificle telling about his abilete to recaive transmitted words..?? i don`t think so to be honest..

another thing about Academics does any one know if there should be any specific one??

Last edited by pavel_do; 14th August 2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: additing :)
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 01:13 AM   #92
RemieV
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,292
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
p.s.
regarding JREF can answer officially.. i think when we`ll agree with all like odds, performens than ill be able to ask if it is all OK from JREF, as for now they hasn't reply still to my letter about how many cards out of 25 would be evident enough and if the person who will be 'transmitting" cards will be in same room opposite me but ill have my eyes and ears covers to prevent any signaling..
I have not received this message. Did you send it to Challenge@randi.org? You might want to re-send.

Thanks,

RemieV
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 03:40 AM   #93
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
yes i did

Originally Posted by RemieV View Post
I have not received this message. Did you send it to Challenge@randi.org? You might want to re-send.

Thanks,

RemieV
yes i did sent it on email and there was no any delivery failler letter so it went through. here is the copy of it and i resent it just now.. my email pavel_do@yahoo.com

Good afternoon,
I have a question.. is that would be good enough claim to..
Perform test with Zener cards, 25 in deck 5 different symbols every symbol assigned to a color on the card.. so its 25 Zener cards with 5 different symbols and colors. lets say.. I am wearing the mask that cover my eyes and ear plugs to eliminate sounds..and destruction. The person (any one) shuffle the cards and give them 1 by one to a friend of mine who looking at the card and try to "transmit" it to me.. so i am naming the card that is his hand. one by one.. we siting on 1 table opposite each other.. there will be no any physical contact like holding hands or something.. as i said..ill be with covered eyes and using ear plugs..beside that i have my a bit different cards there is one more thing "my person" ( friend of my) will be holding cards that i am going to "guess" who ever like it can pull it.. randomly or what ever.and than pass it to my friend.. than he will be holding it and ill be "seeing" what card does he hold.. some one will say why some one that should be etc... ill tell you why.. to be honest first of all ill feel my self more comfortable and confidant in this way as it will be support for me form the person i trust.. another thing I am a clairvoyant..but still dot know if i am a telepath in a way and that is the way i "pick up" colors... so i would prefer a person i know and trust, to hold card and see it, to think about what he see and to transmit me a "picture".. obviously i can be sure that the person who i know by looking at red card with circle will be think circle and imagining red card..NOT trying to confuse me or "double-chack".. How much would it be self evident and how many times would be enough to perform it??
regards,
pavel
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 08:30 AM   #94
petre
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 887
The advantage of using 5 sets of the cards is that you could perform the test without replacement and still achieve a 1/1000 threshold (if only 5 cards were used, you'd have a 1/5*4*3*2 = 1/120 chance). With replacement, as pavel_do noted, there is really no difference.

For simplicity, I recommend with replacement, and using just 5 cards. It makes the math easy and reduces preperation overhead.
petre is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 06:15 AM   #95
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
Post nice

Originally Posted by petre View Post
The advantage of using 5 sets of the cards is that you could perform the test without replacement and still achieve a 1/1000 threshold (if only 5 cards were used, you'd have a 1/5*4*3*2 = 1/120 chance). With replacement, as pavel_do noted, there is really no difference.

For simplicity, I recommend with replacement, and using just 5 cards. It makes the math easy and reduces preparation overhead.

I got an email from JERF so asked some questions again and waiting for reply..

Petre seems like you good at calculations.. can u calculate for us and post it.. the odds of cards out of 25.
lets say it is still deck of 25 cards, shuffled.. and one by one it "guessed" what is the odds of 5.6.7.8.9...20..cards to be "guessed" out of 25.
in two cases...
1.. if every time card is return back to the deck and reshuffled.. (still 25 cards to be guessed)
and 2 way.. is when no card get replaced.. that pulled out randomly from 1 till last one. 25th.

Or If some one can calculate it..please do and post it for us..i might be useful for someone alts as well.

have aq nice weekend everyone.!
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 08:30 AM   #96
petre
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 887
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
Petre seems like you good at calculations.. can u calculate for us and post it.. the odds of cards out of 25.
lets say it is still deck of 25 cards, shuffled.. and one by one it "guessed" what is the odds of 5.6.7.8.9...20..cards to be "guessed" out of 25.
in two cases...
1.. if every time card is return back to the deck and reshuffled.. (still 25 cards to be guessed)
and 2 way.. is when no card get replaced.. that pulled out randomly from 1 till last one. 25th.
With replacement (1) is fairly simple:
5 27.80320486%
6 3.75600941%
7 .41612115%
8 .03839569%
9 .00298393%
10 .00019689%
11 .00001109%
12 .00000054%
13 .00000002%
14 .00000000% (this, and all further correct, exceed the precision so they show as 0%).
A result of 8 out of 25 should be sufficient for the less than 1/1000 standard.

Without replacement (2) is a bit more involved of a calculation. I can tell you with little work that the odds of being able to get 5 correct out of 25 is 100%. How? Simply choose the same card for all 25. Since 5 of them are guaranteed to be this card, you'll have a 100% chance to get 5 correct. Of course, you'll be guaranteed to get 20 wrong too. This is part of the problem with this method, what cards you choose will affect the percentages. Will the protocol allow you to choose a card more than 5 times? If not, what happens when you get to the last card and your previous choices leave only "star" left...but you just KNOW it's really a "plus"?

Assuming you're allowed to choose a card more than 5 times, the odds of getting 6 correct would be 1/5. You'd choose the same card (I'll call it A) for 24 cards, then a different card (B) for the last. If the last card is B (1/5 chance) then all of the A's were also in the first 24, so you'd have 6 correct.

It is beyond simple math to go too far into this, as at each step you have to determine the optimal picking strategy and then calculate the odds based on that strategy. I CAN say with certainty that the odds will never be better than the odds of getting 5 fewer correct for the with replacement system (note the odds of getting 0 correct with replacement are the same or better than getting 5 correct without replacement, odds of getting 1 correct with replacement are the same or better than getting 6 correct without, etc). I can therefore say with certainty that a result of (8+5=) 13 out of 25 without replacement will definately have odds lower than 1/1000. The actual threshold would be somewhere between 9 and 13.
petre is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th August 2007, 08:03 AM   #97
AuctionGuy
New Blood
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2
I always amazed at what you find on Youtube.
AuctionGuy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th August 2007, 03:30 AM   #98
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
Thank you very much. i got another email from JREF..will write soon. eveyone have a nice week and coming weekend
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 03:43 PM   #99
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
hello:)

Hi guys,
how is everyone? i was in touch with JREF , made some things clearer and some still have to clear.. Soon ill be in London, so ill start to complete my applycation, still need to get new academic witnessing. The rest is ok.. my newspaper's article good enough.. Also found out that HA guys from JERF really concerned about safety of there 1.000.000$ cause for example..THERE IS NO WAY my friend will be in same room...it has to be in different rooms only..( that i don't really understand, my eyes will be covered ill have year plus and NO fisical contact with him, plus it will be with observation.. so no way to cheat.. if thay insist on it.. so there is some facts about telepathy transformed form short distance.. if not so..than..why is no way to be in same room? have a nice week everyone!
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 04:29 PM   #100
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic
 
Jeff Corey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,714
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
.. I am wearing the mask that cover my eyes and ear plugs to eliminate sounds..l
Nose peek.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 04:51 PM   #101
sthomson
Muse
 
sthomson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 930
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
why is no way to be in same room?
An example: if a psychic wanted to cheat at the test, she could set up a signal with her accomplice that was transmitted through foot taps. Even with ear-plugs in, she might be able to feel the vibration of the taps through the floor. Or, if they're sitting at the same table, the accomplice could tap his fingers on the table, which the psychic could feel.

If your psychic ability works when the other person is across the room and you are blindfolded and have earplugs, why wouldn't it work when the other person is in an adjoining room?

Last edited by sthomson; 23rd September 2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: atrocious spelling.
sthomson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th September 2007, 01:22 AM   #102
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
fair enough to make some arrangements etc..But, KREF will make sure that theer is no any...
Regarding the ability... ok i have to face the fact that we have to be in different rooms, so ill start to work mor eon being my self.. still Imagine there is telepathy ( that i dont doubt) obviously transmit 2 meteres or through 10 mitters and to different rooms is not much help?? Or there is any proof that telepathy work always even from the other rooms.. i think you understand what i mean?? or??
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2007, 07:31 AM   #103
greatcountysky
New Blood
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by largeprimenumber View Post
I fixed his link:
(I can't post links yet, but this was the link to the guy that can predict the cards)

This guy almost sounds legit. I love this challenge, because this is the first time that anyone has ever "challenged" the individuals that claim to have Super Natural abilities. This contest should prove that, either 1, no one can actually have super natural abilities, or 2, that those that claim to have these abilities are actually over stating what they can do, and simply are good at putting on a show, and finally 3, it would prove that yes, someone has the ability to do something that normal humans can not do, which would be the most pivotal point in human history. I am so glad that someone has thought to make this a contest, because who couldn't use a million dollars. If you had any paranormal ability, you would definitely put it to the test for a mil.


Countysky
greatcountysky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th December 2007, 09:51 AM   #104
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
Hello:)

Hello i am back.. still fancy to chalange and WIN JREF! I am in US at the moment, will be here for some time, and will do my best to complite it all while i am here At the moment i need some academic letters conferming my "Claim" Ill try to get them from Univercity here, and from that will make other staps as my Media coverage is good enough to enter chalange.. everybody have a nice week! will let you know as soon as will move forward
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th December 2007, 12:17 AM   #105
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,007
Welcome back.
Is any of your media presence on-line? Links?
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2007, 12:21 PM   #106
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
in english just this one.. http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/2005/10/02/tw/index.html but i probable sew it already..
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2007, 05:29 PM   #107
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,363
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
in english just this one.. http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/2005/10/02/tw/index.html but i probable sew it already..
From the link: "[...]It is proven from a scientific way even that one can heal using the sound vibration of prayer.[...]"

Evidence?



What does this article provide besides you telling unverified stories?



@RemieV: Would this qualify as a media presence?
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th December 2007, 09:46 PM   #108
RemieV
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,292
Originally Posted by GzuzKryzt View Post

@RemieV: Would this qualify as a media presence?
Yes.
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2007, 05:33 PM   #109
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
the time will kindly show us..:)

The time will kindly show us..

Originally Posted by GzuzKryzt View Post
From the link: "[...]It is proven from a scientific way even that one can heal using the sound vibration of prayer.[...]"

Evidence?



What does this article provide besides you telling unverified stories?



@RemieV: Would this qualify as a media presence?
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2007, 10:31 PM   #110
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,363
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
The time will kindly show us..
It surely will.

Since you seem very confident in your abilities, pavel_do, what will you conclude if you fail to demonstrate them in a controlled test?
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 01:48 PM   #111
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
If ill faill... I will conclude that wasnt ready (prepared) enough.. SO to avoid it ill do my best to be ready for 100% What will you conclude if Ill not faill?? and will go through conrol test??
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 02:42 PM   #112
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,007
Sorry, that is not good enough. You need to be 100% ready. Do not take the test until you are 100% sure you can do the test. Practice in a close way to the way you will be performing on the day. Make sure you have several people to help you. Some of the helpers can be reporters who can then write articles about you, so that by the time you do the real test everything is just a formality.

The $1m would then be pin money. You will get job offers with salaries in the $1m pa range. All you have to do is prove your abilities are real. You would also be the first person ever to prove your abilities.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 03:04 AM   #113
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,363
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
SO to avoid it ill do my best to be ready for 100% What will you conclude if Ill not faill?? and will go through conrol test??
In the - statistical, empirical and experiential - very unlikely event of a successful demonstration of your qualifying claim, I will be very interested in your future tests.
In all brevity: Should you be able to repeat your results several times under the strictest controls imaginable, I will be curious to learn more about your ability.

Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
If ill faill... I will conclude that wasnt ready (prepared) enough..
We have heard this statement - sometimes in a different phrasing - many, many times in this forum, pavel_do.

How many failures in controlled tests would it take for you to admit you do not have the claimed ability?

Five?
Ten?
100?
1000?
Googoolplex?

Even though I wove a humourous twist in the possible answers, I ask this question in all seriousness.
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2007, 01:43 PM   #114
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Sorry, that is not good enough. You need to be 100% ready. Do not take the test until you are 100% sure you can do the test. Practice in a close way to the way you will be performing on the day. Make sure you have several people to help you. Some of the helpers can be reporters who can then write articles about you, so that by the time you do the real test everything is just a formality.

The $1m would then be pin money. You will get job offers with salaries in the $1m pa range. All you have to do is prove your abilities are real. You would also be the first person ever to prove your abilities.
Thank you! :
Ill do my best to be ready 100% not to rush things, as we say in Russia, when you go slowly you will get far.. So ill folow it..
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2007, 06:11 PM   #115
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
Originally Posted by GzuzKryzt View Post
In the - statistical, empirical and experiential - very unlikely event of a successful demonstration of your qualifying claim, I will be very interested in your future tests.
In all brevity: Should you be able to repeat your results several times under the strictest controls imaginable, I will be curious to learn more about your ability.



We have heard this statement - sometimes in a different phrasing - many, many times in this forum, pavel_do.

How many failures in controlled tests would it take for you to admit you do not have the claimed ability?

Five?
Ten?
100?
1000?
Googoolplex?

Even though I wove a humourous twist in the possible answers, I ask this question in all seriousness.


well as i said the time will show us.. maybe there will be no need for 2nd test.. I mean ill pass it first time.. IF ill fail ill try ones again.. depamd on the results and maybe mistakes.. To avoid it ill do my best to be ready 100%..
I still dont know conditions of the actual test.. let say ill pas primary test.. what if thay will ask me to perform same result 10 times at the time.. who know.. i will not be able to do so maybe for soem reasons caus eevn 1 times is stresful enough ets.. we`ll see...
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 10:36 AM   #116
jojonete
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 161
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
well as i said the time will show us.. maybe there will be no need for 2nd test.. I mean ill pass it first time.. IF ill fail ill try ones again.. depamd on the results and maybe mistakes.. To avoid it ill do my best to be ready 100%..
I still dont know conditions of the actual test.. let say ill pas primary test.. what if thay will ask me to perform same result 10 times at the time.. who know.. i will not be able to do so maybe for soem reasons caus eevn 1 times is stresful enough ets.. we`ll see...
Pavel, you have just said that:
  • If you pass the test, your powers are proven.
  • If you fail the test, you'll try once again.
Now, I'll add a few more lines to this:
  • If you fail the test again, you'll try once again.
  • If you fail the test for the third time, you'll try once again.
  • If you fail the test for the fourth time, you'll try once again.
  • etc....
And I suppose that, after a while, things would get to:
  • If you fail the test for the Xth time, you'll stop thinking you have paranormal abilities.
Now, Pavel, I'll repeat GzuzKryzt's question:
Originally Posted by GzuzKryzt View Post
How many failures in controlled tests would it take for you to admit you do not have the claimed ability?
jojonete is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 03:35 PM   #117
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
If ill not pass 1 time ill try 2 if not 2nd.. 3d not more. I am sure even if ill fail in a way 1st time it will be significant that i can do it.. i am sure!!! I know i can see things and i know it can be proved! we`ll see any way..the time will kindly show us..

regarding GzuzKryzt
How many failures in controlled tests would it take for you to admit you do not have the claimed ability?

I have ability, and i will prove it, as long as test will be reasonable, i can see and perform results that will be more than expected odds etc.. but if thay will want from me to perform it 10 times in range or put me in glas box with 100 people around and some toehr things its obviesly can affect results.. but any way.. as i can see from rules, eventhou its strict but there is a way to make it as simple and easy as it possible for the claiment.. But still.. "simple" is diffrent for all of us.. thay might think its simple to perform it in one way and for me that way is not simple at all...like, thay say there is NO WAY my friend will be in same room to 'send" me images of the cards... WHY?? is there any facts that it can be done from difrent rooms same as from same when the "sender" sit opposite you..?? if no one ever proved it..?? from what is it taken?? etc... like as thay say there is ways to cheat, but that is there job to make sure no cheatings that why thay there?? my covered eyes and ears and no fisical contact with "sender" no vizual, sound or any sighns can be seen, it should be silent.. THAT is not good enough for them.. I think you undarstand my point? i hope so at least, that regard to the actual test as it should be as simple and reasonable as it possible for me,.. as what ever who says, stress its not the greatest help for performance...
any way we`ll see.. what elts can i say, ill keep everyone posted about all that happaning and test conditions and negotiations of the protocol.

Last edited by pavel_do; 18th December 2007 at 04:40 PM.
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st December 2007, 05:13 PM   #118
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,433
Pavel_do, how many failures in controlled tests would it take for you to admit you do not have the claimed ability? Just hypothetically, you know. Just if.
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2007, 11:51 AM   #119
pavel_do
Critical Thinker
 
pavel_do's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 363
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Pavel_do, how many failures in controlled tests would it take for you to admit you do not have the claimed ability? Just hypothetically, you know. Just if.

I do have claimed ability other wise i wouldn`t talk here, the question is HOW JREF will be sutisfught with performens and as i said it will depand of test conditions as long as its reasonable.. Still as we say for now its as por water from one glas to another.. THE time will say..we`ll see.. But if hypothetically as you said.. 2 times maximum 3 is more than enough i think.. But If first time ill "fail" meaning my results will not be sutisfighing enough,., for the 2nd time ill do my best to prevent "mistakes" and do my best to improve it.. again it will be all up to test and final conditions..etc.. so we will seeeeeeeeee.. have a nice week.
pavel_do is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:42 PM   #120
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,363
Originally Posted by pavel_do View Post
I do have claimed ability other wise i wouldn`t talk here, the question is HOW JREF will be sutisfught with performens and as i said it will depand of test conditions as long as its reasonable.. Still as we say for now its as por water from one glas to another.. THE time will say..we`ll see.. But if hypothetically as you said.. 2 times maximum 3 is more than enough i think.. But If first time ill "fail" meaning my results will not be sutisfighing enough,., for the 2nd time ill do my best to prevent "mistakes" and do my best to improve it.. again it will be all up to test and final conditions..etc.. so we will seeeeeeeeee.. have a nice week.
How many controlled tests like the one you intend to do with the JREF have you done? I'm guessing: None.

The hubris, pardon: confidence of would-be applicants before a test is well documented, pavel_do.
Their cockiness (even of those with manners) is usually proportional to the spectacularity of their failure.
The loudness of their voices (comparable to the volume of their posts) is also usually proportional to the probability of their impromptu disappearance.



Allow me one more guess, pavel_do. If you want, you may call it a prediction: You will not agree to a controlled test for the JREF Challenge.
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.