ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th May 2007, 09:23 PM   #1
Timothy
Muse

Jesus gets a whomping from Dad (or Zeus)

May 20, 2007 (Golden, CO) -- The 22-foot high statue of Jesus that overlooks the Denver metro area from the mountaintop Mother Cabrini Shrine was hit by lightning today, blowing both the hands off the statue. The Mother Cabrini Shrine draws Christian pilgrims and tourists alike.

http://mothercabrinishrine.org/

More detailed photos of the statue and its surroundings:
http://lariatloop.org/tour/Cabrini.php

I wonder how many Christians will praise this "miracle" that gives us true insight into the relationship God has with Jesus. Either that, or I suppose he's decided to start enforcing that "No Graven Images" commandment.
Timothy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2007, 09:41 PM   #2
MelBrooksfan
Graduate Poster

You know what would've been funny in a twisted sort of way? If the lightning had, instead, only put a hole in each of the hands.
MelBrooksfan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2007, 09:54 PM   #3
steve s
Philosopher

They'll claim that it's a miracle that the entire statue wasn't destroyed by the lightning.

Steve S.
Old 20th May 2007, 10:09 PM   #4
Kopji

Hey. The fragments could form the face of Mary.
Man, that could get really confusing.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2007, 11:15 PM   #5
Wolverine
Grumpy Stinky Mustelid

I think Zeus is angry about losing so many followers and has decided to drop some not-so-friendly reminders of his powers. Earlier in the week he went after some nonbelieving kids, then he roughed up Notre Dame a bit, and now this. Look out man, he seems pissed.
Wolverine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2007, 04:16 AM   #6
kleinjahr
Critical Thinker

Everyone knows it's not Zeus, but Thor who is sore.
kleinjahr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Zep
Banned

You're Thor? I'm tho thor I can hardly pith!
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2007, 04:42 AM   #8
Sir Arthur Mortal Coyle
Thinker

Originally Posted by Zep View Post
You're Thor? I'm tho thor I can hardly pith!
LOL very good
Sir Arthur Mortal Coyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2007, 04:44 AM   #9
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

The god of war rode out one day,
Upon a pure white filly.
I'm Thor! He cried,
The horse replied,
Forgot your thaddle, thilly.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2007, 06:23 AM   #10
TX50
Graduate Poster

Very good except that Thor does thunder. Odin does war.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2007, 06:45 AM   #11
Hammer_of_Thor
Thinker

I live in Denver. They are interviewing people on the news and it is an endless stream of "it was a miracle". My favorite was "It had to be God that struck the statue because the head was not damaged. Only the hands and feet."
I am an atheist, but I am beginning to see the power of God.
Hammer_of_Thor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2007, 06:53 AM   #12
juryjone
Refusing to be confused by facts

In the video here, Sister Bernadette tells us, "I'm not going to second guess god...in my mind, it's a miracle".

At least she tells us that she's not going to use any of her god-given reasoning power...
Old 21st May 2007, 12:29 PM   #13
strathmeyer
Master Poster

It's clear that Yaweh hates hands and feet. Why else would he have put nails through Jesus's?

Also, Mars could kick Odin's ass.
strathmeyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2007, 04:19 PM   #14
MelBrooksfan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by strathmeyer View Post
It's clear that Yaweh hates hands and feet. Why else would he have put nails through Jesus's?

Also, Mars could kick Odin's ass.
Are you kidding? Odin gave his eye and hung himself from a tree while stabbed with a javelin for wisdom.
MelBrooksfan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2007, 11:07 PM   #15
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by MelBrooksfan View Post
Are you kidding? Odin gave his eye and hung himself from a tree while stabbed with a javelin for wisdom.
Yeah, and look where it got him.
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:28 AM   #16
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
Hey, don't blame me, I'm just the messenger.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:36 AM   #17
Lothian
should be banned

Well, God is teaching them a lesson for disobeying one of the ten commandments.
Quote:
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:44 AM   #18
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
No, Tyr is the Norse god of war, although most of them were a beligerant lot.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2007, 02:59 AM   #19
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
Gna ? I am not so hot on my Norse gods.

Last edited by Lothian; 22nd May 2007 at 03:02 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2007, 05:12 AM   #20
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I am not so hot on my Norse gods.
In that case, Frigg it.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2007, 05:29 AM   #21
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
In that case, Frigg it.
Hel, Brodski you are a Borr. Iím Nott Fulla Snotra like you.
Old 22nd May 2007, 06:49 AM   #22
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Hel, Brodski you are a Borr. Iím Nott Fulla Snotra like you.
Balder-dash, you just want to Bragi about your puns.
Loki Eir, address the OP like a Mani, and stop acting like an attention Hoor.

Last edited by brodski; 22nd May 2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 22nd May 2007, 07:15 AM   #23
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
Balder-dash, you just want to Bragi about your puns.
Loki Eir, address the OP like a Mani, and stop acting like an attention Hoor.

This could turn into a Saga.

P.S. Is it true that you threatened to Buri your Nanna for laughing at your Vili ?
Old 22nd May 2007, 09:58 AM   #24
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I wonder how many Christians will praise this "miracle" that gives us true insight into the relationship God has with Jesus. Either that, or I suppose he's decided to start enforcing that "No Graven Images" commandment.
I've always wondered how all those statues of Jesus and Mary and the paintings of God work with that commandment.

Oh, well. I guess Christians aren't going to heaven anytime soon.
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:22 AM   #25
Timothy
Muse

It's started. From today's Rocky Mountain News, one of the Cabrini Shrine nuns "It was a miracle no one was injured by the falling debris."

I don't know what the weather conditions were at the shrine at the time, but it was definitely threatening thunderstorms over the whole Denver metro area all day. One of the first things you learn about weather in Colorado is that it comes in fast, and that the last place you want to be in a thunderstorm is at the summit of any peak.

I wish I knew the details, I don't think anywhere was anywhere near the statue when it was hit (otherwise we'd have heard the fisthand accounts). So a "miracle" that no one was injured? I mean, come on.
Timothy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2007, 12:07 PM   #26
revmatty
New Blood

What if someone had been killed

Would they then claim it was a miracle that the sinner had been killed?
revmatty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2007, 12:16 PM   #27
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I've always wondered how all those statues of Jesus and Mary and the paintings of God work with that commandment.

Oh, well. I guess Christians aren't going to heaven anytime soon.
Well, it's not a problem for the catholics, they have no prohibition against "graven images " in their ten commandments.

Quote:
I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

Remember thou keep the Sabbath Day.

Honor thy Father and thy Mother

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's goods.
http://www.cylist.com/List/400300007/

Some protestant sects actively discourage religious art.
Old 23rd May 2007, 02:45 PM   #28
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Interesting, they split the coveting commandment into two. To get rid of the sexism inherent in combining women with property?
Silly Green Monkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2007, 04:24 PM   #29
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Interesting, they split the coveting commandment into two. To get rid of the sexism inherent in combining women with property?
Should you wish to compare and contrast the 10 Commandments....
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2007, 04:26 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Looks to me that the whole top quarter or so is cracked and will possibly fall off as well. Of course if God really wrote the Bible, he might have mentioned the benefit of adding lightning rods to his statues in high places.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 23rd May 2007 at 04:29 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2007, 02:58 AM   #31
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skeptigirl View Post
Looks to me that the whole top quarter or so is cracked and will possibly fall off as well. Of course if God really wrote the Bible, he might have mentioned the benefit of adding lightning rods to his statues in high places.
As Terry Pratchett said in the last Science of Discworld book, the greatest victory of science over religion was the descision to attatch lighting rods to churches.
Old 24th May 2007, 04:29 AM   #32
RayG
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
Mercury? That you?

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2007, 06:24 AM   #33
RayG
Master Poster

God's having a party. First he provides flashing lights, then the beer. It's a miracle nobody was drowned.

RayG
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2007, 10:30 PM   #34
Reed
Thinker

Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I wonder how many Christians will praise this "miracle" that gives us true insight into the relationship God has with Jesus.
Given that Buffalo Bill Cody's grave on nearby Lookout Mountain remains intact, I'd say that God is on better terms with him than Jesus.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...ge=gr&GRid=211
Reed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2007, 11:12 PM   #35
hamelekim
Graduate Poster

Sounds like God isn't happy with his flock of sheep worshiping graven images.
hamelekim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal