ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags wmm , windows movie maker , mp4

Old 21st May 2007, 12:10 PM   #1
DrugFreeAlcoholic
Student

How to get Windows Movie Maker to Recognize MP4?

There are lots of videos are google that I would like to mess around with on Windows Media Player, but the problem is I can only download the videos as an mp4 file, which WMM won't recognize. Is there a way around this, or anything I can download that'll make WMM recognize mp4 files?

Thanks,
DFA
DrugFreeAlcoholic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Stimpson J. Cat
Graduate Poster

Look for a program called mp4cam2avi. It converts mp4 files to avi files without re-encoding the video stream (mp4 and avi are just different containers for video and audio streams). I use it all the time when I rip DVDs to mp4 using Nero Recode, to convert the files to avi format which is easier to deal with.

Dr. Stupid
Old 25th May 2007, 07:40 AM   #3
kedo1981
Master Poster

Ya dos'nt haf-ta convert nutten

http://www.afreecodec.com/win/37/microsoft-mpeg4/

You just need the poper codec

I readily admit I donít know enough to say for sure that there is no God.
But I do know enough so say that anyone who claims to know the mind and will of a being such as God is a liar.
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2007, 06:17 PM   #4
JAStewart
Graduate Poster
Tagger

Not Found

The requested URL /win/37/microsoft-mpeg4/ was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Argumentum ad YouTubeum - sts60
JAStewart is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2007, 01:55 AM   #5
Stimpson J. Cat
Graduate Poster

If you just want to play the mp4 files in Windows Media Player, then it is not a codec you need, but an mp4 splitter. The codec is just standard mpeg4, which you already have if you are able to play mpeg4 avi files, such as the divx files you typically find on the net.

Anyway, you can find mp4 splitters, as well as any codecs you might need, here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/

The Haali Matroska Splitter should do the trick for splitting mp4 files. If you do need an mpeg4 codec, then I would recommend either the XViD codec, or the DiVX codec, or both.

I do not know if Windows Movie Maker can make use of directshow codecs and filters. That is why I suggested converting the mp4 files to avi. This also alows you to make use of powerful free editing software, like VirtualDub.

If you want to dig deeper into the whole subject, a good place to start is the Doom9 website:

http://www.doom9.org/

They have lots of useful guides and a forum with quite a bit of information.

Dr. Stupid

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet