ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags chernobyl , miracle water , peter popoff

Old 16th June 2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Peter Popoff's miracle water involved in Chernobyl accident?

Popoff writes to those in need and thinks some people might be skeptical of his claims:

Quote:
I know this may be hard for you to believe right now . . . but please read on. . . As I give you Guaranteed Facts from the Holy Scriptures that will help you understand these DIVINE PRINCIPLES . . . and how they OPERATE IN THE EARTH.
There are those who are bound by poverty and never achieve success because of their mistaken belief that God doesn't want them to enjoy wealth of the earth. How can one believe that when I Tim. 6:17 plainly says "GOD, WHO GIVETH US RICHLY ALL THINGS TO ENJOY." Satan doesn't want you to believe this. . . but your Divine BIRTHRIGHT ordained by God is that you live a life filled with joy, happiness and abundance. But, before this can happen you must first know and believe God wants you to have it.
I MUST BE HONEST WITH YOU . . . [Personal name] . . . there are some things I CAN'T WRITE IN A LETTER. . . I MUST SPEAK THEM INTO YOUR EAR IN MY OWN VOICE. . . and these are the words that will release this power into your life. . . THEY WILL LEAD YOU INTO YOUR LUKE 6:38 BLESSING.
God has sent me with this AWESOME SECRET. . . and I MUST SPEAK IT INTO YOUR EAR WITH MY OWN VOICE. . . YOU ARE READY TO ASK FOR A GREAT HARVEST. . . and God is now asking for a SEED to release that GREAT HARVEST.
ALSO, I'll give you a PRIVATE PHONE NUMBER in my answer letter to you. . . YOU'LL BE ABLE TO CALL THIS NUMBER. . . and I'LL SPEAK INTO YOUR EAR the "PROPHETIC UTTERANCE" God will give me as I pray over the enclosed bracelet you will wear tonight. . . and Return to me as soon as possible.
I want you to take a check or cash money totalling $27.00. . . hold that in your right hand and say with me. . ."GOD I HONOR YOU AND YOUR WORK, AND I SOW THIS $27.00 FAITH SEED FOR A GREAT HARVEST. . . I TAKE WHAT I HAVE AND GIVE IT TO YOU BECAUSE WITHOUT YOU I WOULD HAVE NOTHING. . . I SOW THIS FAITH SEEd OF $27.00 IN JESUS' NAME. . . I ACCEPT YOU NOW AS MY TOTAL SOURCE OF SUPPLY! AMEN."
According to Popoff, the water was part of the Chernobyl accident:

Quote:
This packet contains water from the spring in Southern Russia where the pastors and Christians were led by the Holy Spirit to drink during the horrible Chernobyl nuclear accident. (I warn you, something so anointed and sacred can't be taken lightly.) As I walked to this very spring through the dark dawn . . . when I got there, it was like a light from heaven lighted up the entire area. As I knelt trembling under the awesome presence of God the Angel of the Lord commanded me to bring this Miracle Spring Water back for you to use as a powerful point of contact from many miracles in your life (the spring represents the flow of the spirit.)
No one drank from this spring died from nuclear contamination. No one who followed divine leading and direction sufered illness. NOT ONE BELIEVER SUFFERED HARM. NOT ONE BELIEVER DIED. ALL WERE MIRACULOUSLY SPARED although tens of thousands were contaminated and even died.
(Yes, the poor grammar is really his. IE, "No one drank from this spring died...")

On his envelopes (three you are supposed to return full of money):

Quote:
If you have a stamp, please use it on this envelope to save the work of God money. If you don't have a stamp, I will pay the postage for you.
(All capitalization, poor grammar, and syntax above are Popoff's mistakes.)

If the water isn't really from Russia would this be fraud in the sense of accepting money for a product (water) that is not what it was claimed to be? If it is from Russia is there a law against giving people water that might be radioactive?

Popoff's website: http://www.peterpopoff.org/

Last edited by Questioninggeller; 16th June 2007 at 05:01 PM.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

It might be interesting to buy a vial of this magic water (you are not getting $27 from me though) and have it analysed. You might be able to tell a lot about its source. The Rev's backyard tap for example.
Old 16th June 2007, 05:08 PM   #3
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Questioninggeller View Post
If it is from Russia is there a law against giving people water that might be radioactive?
Groundwater wasn't hit that hard by the accident so water from springs might be at near background levels of radation.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by geni View Post
Groundwater wasn't hit that hard by the accident so water from springs might be at near background levels of radation.
True, but I'd be interested in what the FDA or FCC thinks.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2007, 05:17 PM   #5
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

True, but I'd be interested in what the FDA or FCC thinks.
Unless you can show it contians significant numbers of radio active isotopes I doubt they will care.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2007, 05:25 PM   #6
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by geni View Post
Unless you can show it contians significant numbers of radio active isotopes I doubt they will care.
The consumer doesn't have to prove anything to the FDA. The seller must have the product/source inspected to insure safety.

For example, bottled water contains information such as where it was produced and what, if any, additives are in it. Popoff's water does not have any of that detail. Without a nutritional label it has not been inspected and thus 1) may be toxic and/or 2) may not come from Russia.

Last edited by Questioninggeller; 16th June 2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 16th June 2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Slimething
Illuminator

According to Popoff, the water was part of the Chernobyl accident:
I'll buy a vial if it will give me super powers! Will it give me super powers? What if I feed it to something and make it radioactive and have it bite me? Why is life like this?
Slimething is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2007, 06:11 PM   #8
Dr. Lao
Critical Thinker

Chernobyl is in Southern Russia?

I thought it was in Western Ukraine.

Popoff should be beaten with a chair.
Being a Conspiracy Theorist is easy, you never have to provide proof, you only demand that others disprove you. And when they do disprove you, you can accuse them of being part of the conspiracy, and make up a new one.
Dr. Lao is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Lao View Post
Chernobyl is in Southern Russia?

I thought it was in Western Ukraine.
The fallout did not remain in the Ukraine. In fact Belarus was effected worse than the Ukraine receiving 60% of the fallout.
Old 16th June 2007, 06:54 PM   #10
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Income

Income:

Quote:
Income Statement (FYE 12/2005)

Primary Revenue $23,391,254
Other Revenue $165,215
Total Revenue $23,556,469

Leadership (FYE 12/2005)
Name, Title, Compensation, % of Expenses
1) Peter Popoff, President, $628,732, 3.06%
2) Elizabeth Popoff, Executive Business Administrator, $203,029, 0.99%
3) Nickolas Popoff, Director, $182,166, 0.88%
4) Amy Cardiff, Vice President of Administration, $176,290, 0.86%
Source: http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...orgid/5206.htm
Old 16th June 2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Brattus
Graduate Poster

Wow! That's sowing a lot of faith seeds!
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Brattus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Slimething View Post
I'll buy a vial if it will give me super powers! Will it give me super powers? What if I feed it to something and make it radioactive and have it bite me? Why is life like this?
Do you think it really could do that? I would pay $27 for super powers.
Brattus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2007, 09:55 PM   #13
steve s
Illuminator

Quote:
I MUST BE HONEST WITH YOU . . . [Personal name] . . . there are some things I CAN'T WRITE IN A LETTER. . . I MUST SPEAK THEM INTO YOUR EAR IN MY OWN VOICE. . .
I love the way Popoff needs to tell us when he's being honest. On a few occasions I've walked out on salesmen who say "Now I'm going to be completely honest with you here..."

Steve S.
Old 17th June 2007, 11:40 AM   #14
Alareth
Expert Expertologist

Popoff has a really nice Porche. I saw it in a news segment made by a tv station's fraud investigation team trying to get back several hundred bucks on behalf of a woman he took in a year or two ago.

I really wish I could remember which station I saw it on in order to try and find a copy. I thought it was well put together.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2007, 04:42 PM   #15
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

From Inside Edition?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 19th June 2007, 10:56 AM   #16
Hardenbergh
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
It might be interesting to buy a vial of this magic water (you are not getting $27 from me though) and have it analysed. You might be able to tell a lot about its source. The Rev's backyard tap for example.
The idea that it might have come from his own tap is very likely. No matter where it came from, who would be fool enough to drink it anyway, not knowing the source? I'm not sure he expected people to drink it or just douse themselves with it. If I really believed that the water had been anywhere near Chernobyl, I wouldn't even want it in my house. If he really wanted me to drink the water, why didn't he say it was from Poland Spring or some other trustworthy water source?

Peter Popoff isn't the only one. I saw Rev. Leroy Jenkins for the first time on BET.

http://www.leroyjenkins.com/miracles.html

I've come across some of the prosperity preachers very early in the morning when I'm getting ready for work. Some of them are on BET. Among them are Don Stewart, Kerney Thomas, Mike Murdock, Robert Tilton and Peter Popoff. I've been spending a lot of time lately keeping track of the programming on TBN, INSP and BET as well as the radio programs.

I do like Adrian Rogers (not a health-and-wealth prosperity preacher). His programs are aired on TV and radio even though he passed away in 2005.

http://www.rateitall.com/t-782-tv-evangelists.aspx

Last edited by Hardenbergh; 19th June 2007 at 12:22 PM.
Hardenbergh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2007, 08:16 AM   #17
Hardenbergh
Graduate Poster

I just caught a glimpse of him at 6:30 this morning on BET. He reminds me of Satan or Count Dracula.

I found this blog about Peter Popoff:

http://www.tetherdcow.com/?cat=70
Hardenbergh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2007, 12:46 PM   #18
Hardenbergh
Graduate Poster

Peter Popoff has his gimmicks like miracle spring water. Don Stewart has his "green prosperity prayer handkerchief" and Kerney Thomas has a red one.

http://www.kerneythomas.org

I saw Kerney Thomas for the first time a few months ago as I was getting ready for work. Kerney Thomas, Don Stewart, Peter Popoff, and Robert Tilton are on very early in the morning on BET. I also watch "Feed the Children" in the morning and I would rather give my money to an organization like that where I know it's being put to good use.

Here's a clip of Kerney Thomas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOTl0Q0Ng0Q

Here's Don Stewart's website:

http://www.donstewartassociation.com/
http://www.donstewartassociation.com/home.htm
http://www.donstewartassociation.com...broadcast.html

http://www.trinityfi.org/press/donstewart.html

Last edited by Hardenbergh; 21st June 2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old 26th June 2007, 05:01 AM   #19
Hardenbergh
Graduate Poster

The BET channel might be cleaning up their act. I noticed that "Feed the Children" was in the Kerney Thomas time slot at 5 o'clock this morning. Maybe they'll take Peter Popoff off the air.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal