ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 25th July 2007, 09:14 AM   #1
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,235
SweatyYeti's Martian Civilization Evidence Thread

This is a thread for SweatyYeti's claims of evidence of ancient alien civilizations on Mars. Discussion on this can be seen in the bigfoot PGF thread from page 150.

These are the images that Sweaty submitted:









Various comments:

Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
(snip) I posted the picture to show that there is indeed evidence of alien civilization beyond the Earth. In addition to that square, straight-sided formation, there are plenty more formations on Mars which are similar, in that they have a very high degree of both regularity and geometric shape...which is very rare for natural formations.

The square formation in that picture is evidence of alien civilization.....(snip)
Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
Teresa found a picture of a rock formation with a square hole in it.....but that's all so far.
There are other anomalies in the other images.....and still plenty more where those came from.

It's quite telling that nobody has made any comment on the picture I posted at the top of the page.....and described the anomaly in it.


Greg, not surprisingly, sees nothing anomalous in any of the pictures. But will he, or anyone else, ever supply pictures of comparable examples of "geology" found on Earth??

The answer is....no, they won't.
Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
Are you interested in starting a thread on your Mars claims?

Yeah, I'm considering doing that.
Although, if I do, I won't spend much time here at all, debating and discussing the evidence.
I'll just post some images, and some info to go with them....and leave it at that. Other members can discuss them, if they want.


There are other very interesting anomalies on Mars, some of which appear to have a connection with some ancient, and mysterious, man-made formations in Avebury, England....such as Avebury Circle, and Silbury Hill.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 09:27 AM   #2
-Fran-
Master Poster
 
-Fran-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,581
Originally Posted by SweatyYeti
there are plenty more formations on Mars which are similar, in that they have a very high degree of both regularity and geometric shape...which is very rare for natural formations.
He doesn't know much about minerology, and how crystals form, and things like that, does he? Not that I am an expert in any way shape or form, but I do collect minerals in a very amateurish way and there's plenty of regularity and geometric shapes among my specimens.

Pyrite for example forms these neat little cubes:
http://webmineral.com/specimens/picshow.php?id=951
http://www.galleries.com/minerals/su...ite/pyrite.htm

Maybe the Martians comes here to play games, and then they lose their dices?
__________________
Thank goodness there are such things as lies. Imagine if everything you heard was true!
(Albert Engström)
-Fran- is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Jason_Roberts
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20
Nature can produce symmetrical geometry without the assistance of an intelligent “hand.” You can see this by looking up the Jennings Randolph Lake in Mineral County, West Virginia formations (near perfect building-block style formations), the “Fairy Chimneys” of Turkey, and many, many more.

I’ve been through a lot of ‘evidence’ presented by people who believe in the existence of planetary anomalies that are supposed to evince artificiality. In my experience they have always been the product of natural process or imaginative interpretations of .jpeg images that have been heavily pixilated to give the illusion of symmetry, thus encouraging pareidolia. (jpegs are a very lossy format and should never be used for any sort of real analysis.)
Jason_Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2007, 07:39 PM   #4
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 55,573


Tesselated Pavement, Tasmania.
__________________
Read my fantasy novel for free!
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2007, 08:02 PM   #5
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee
 
UnrepentantSinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 26,810
Arches formed naturally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_arch

And Spirit and Opportunity have been travelling around Mars for a few years now. Why haven't they run across any indication of civilization at all? Were the Martians only able to live in Cydonia?
__________________
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 04:28 AM   #6
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,235
I'm hoping Sweaty will elaborate what connections there are between Mars and...

Avebury Circle:



...and Silbury Hill:



Hopefully he will explain how these qualify as evidence for alien civilizations on Mars as he implies. At this point I don't have much hope as giving Sweaty an opportunity to unambiguously argue a point tends to make him turtle. He does the same thing in bigfoot threads when talking about the Patterson/Gimlin Film. He goes on and on with 'if the fingers bend, you must pretend' but evades for months being directly confronted to make a point of how that makes the film more likely to be an actual sasquatch.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 04:34 AM   #7
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,519
Well I'm convinced. All hail our ex alien overlords.

Just out of interest, what exactly was the third picture supposed to show? I can at least understand the claims about regular shapes and the second noe has a rock that looks vaguely snake-like, but the third one really does just look like a pile of rocks.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 04:45 AM   #8
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,235
Third one, I honestly have no idea. Sweaty couldn't be bothered to to specify what we were supposed to being seeing there. He only implied that there was something there and that we weren't commenting on it.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 05:23 AM   #9
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,235
Sweaty posted the first image in the OP with this question preceding:

Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
Anybody want to take a guess as to where these ruins of a building were found....
Followed by this comment on it being from Mars and how he first described it:

Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
I supplied a picture of what appears to be....and looks amazingly like....ruins of a square building on Mars.

I called it ruins of a building .....because it looks, in every respect, exactly like the ruins of a building.
I don't know that it actually is, but you don't know that it isn't.
Therefore, you have no legitimate reason to accuse me of lying. It looks much more like a structure than it does natural geology....so I refer to it as just that.....a structure.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 05:25 AM   #10
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,538
Wink

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Third one, I honestly have no idea. Sweaty couldn't be bothered to to specify what we were supposed to being seeing there. He only implied that there was something there and that we weren't commenting on it.
Only an advanced intelligence could possibly scatter rocks in that apparently random fashion.
__________________
Even when you keep piling them up, lies never compress to become the truth.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 05:27 AM   #11
soetkin
Scholar
 
soetkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 95
About the third picture, I assume Sweaty meant the big rock in the middle that looks like the head of a snarling pig-like animal. No?
Pareidolia is fun.
soetkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 05:27 AM   #12
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm
Administrator
 
Locknar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 25.8333° N, 77.9000° W
Posts: 22,942
Well...the connection between Mars and Bigfoot is obvious; didn't you watch "The $6M Dollar Man"? That explanied everything....geesh
Locknar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 05:37 AM   #13
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,235
Originally Posted by Locknar View Post
Well...the connection between Mars and Bigfoot is obvious; didn't you watch "The $6M Dollar Man"? That explanied everything....geesh
Oh no, friend. The truth is deep. William Parcher has shown it to me. Can you dig it?

__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 05:38 AM   #14
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm
Administrator
 
Locknar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: 25.8333° N, 77.9000° W
Posts: 22,942
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Oh no, friend. The truth is deep. William Parcher has shown it to me. Can you dig it?

http://images.somethingawful.com/ins...NoteToSelf.jpg
Oh my! That will have me laughing all day - thanks!
Locknar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 07:04 AM   #15
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,519
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Sweaty posted the first image in the OP with this question preceding:

Followed by this comment on it being from Mars and how he first described it:
Should we ask him what he thinks the scale is on that picture?

I was going to post some workings on how big the "building" must be, but i think I'll wait until Sweaty actually lets us know about his analysis of it.

That said, I probably don't need to point out to anyone else that the varying thickness of the "walls" and the bizzare angles they are at really don't look that much like they were designed. In fact, the only thing that really makes it look odd is the one right angle at the bottom corner (of course, I doubt it is really a right angle). Cover that up and it looks like any other rock formation. Clearly the aliens only finished one corner before they got bored.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 07:11 AM   #16
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus
 
Drudgewire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9,421
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Oh no, friend. The truth is deep. William Parcher has shown it to me. Can you dig it?

http://images.somethingawful.com/ins...NoteToSelf.jpg
You may want to put that on a different image host. SA isn't fond of their images being leeched and can be pretty creative in the the ways they combat it.

We really don't want that pic to be redirected to lemonparty, I promise.
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 07:25 AM   #17
sackett
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,891
Originally Posted by soetkin View Post
About the third picture, I assume Sweaty meant the big rock in the middle that looks like the head of a snarling pig-like animal. No?
Pareidolia is fun.
To be fair to Sweaty, in that third pic you can see a straight line crossing the upper right part of the scene. I take that to be a transmission anomaly.

About the first pic: How large would that "structure" be? Are we talking meters, inches, kilometers, what? I don't want to underestimate them old Martian fellers.

ETA: Cuddles, you are nothing but a big meany. Just see if I let you play in MY Martian sand-box anymore.
__________________
Fill the seats of justice with good men; not so absolute in goodness as to forget what human frailty is. -- Thomas Jefferson

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil

Last edited by sackett; 27th July 2007 at 07:28 AM.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 10:13 AM   #18
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,235
Here's a fun image that I found on the board and a couple links that I posted for Sweaty in the bf thread:



A nice big one.

What an interesting angle.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 10:57 AM   #19
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,341
Mars never had a civilization but one day humans may be able to put one up there. I wish Mars did have intelligent beings on it but it doesn't and never has. Best case scenerio is that a few species of microbe are ekeing an existence in areas with liquid water. Wouldn't it be exciting if there were planets with cities. A place with its own traditions and philosophys and such. It didn't happen though. Too bad so sad.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 11:06 AM   #20
MWare
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 664
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I wish Mars did have intelligent beings on it but it doesn't and never has.
While all of these pictures shown have demonstrated nothing, and at this time there is no evidence that there was ever intelligent life on Mars, how are you able to make this claim with such confidence?
MWare is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 11:40 AM   #21
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,235
Battle stations! Arm phasers! Derail off the port bow!
Originally Posted by MWare View Post
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Mars never had a civilization but one day humans may be able to put one up there. I wish Mars did have intelligent beings on it but it doesn't and never has.
While all of these pictures shown have demonstrated nothing, and at this time there is no evidence that there was ever intelligent life on Mars, how are you able to make this claim with such confidence?
Well, to be fair, M (owner of one of my favourite avatars), Cainkanel has far more justification in saying that than saying this (bolding mine):

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Wouldn't it be exciting if there were planets with cities. A place with its own traditions and philosophys and such. It didn't happen though. Too bad so sad.
Just a knitpick, maybe, but an important one IMHO.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 12:18 PM   #22
MWare
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 664
Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
Battle stations! Arm phasers! Derail off the port bow! Well, to be fair, M (owner of one of my favourite avatars), Cainkanel has far more justification in saying that than saying this (bolding mine):

Just a knitpick, maybe, but an important one IMHO.
Fair point. I'm just leery of that kind of certainty on matters where there is so much more data to be gathered.
MWare is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 12:35 PM   #23
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Somewhere between the central U.S. and Hades
Posts: 10,975
Hey!

I see evidence of intelligence!

kitakaze, look closely at the very upper left of that photo you posted. You see it? That circular object?

The Martians made a giant coffeee cup! Not only were they intelligent, they had Starbucks!!!

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 01:12 PM   #24
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,341
Originally Posted by MWare View Post
While all of these pictures shown have demonstrated nothing, and at this time there is no evidence that there was ever intelligent life on Mars, how are you able to make this claim with such confidence?
I'm just quoting the scientists. Earth didn't have a civilization a billion years ago so why Mars have had one?
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 01:26 PM   #25
Comsat Angel
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 893
Does SweatyYeti think that, if NASA knew there was undisputable proof of alien life on Mars, it wouldn't be the best-funded organisation in the world? Heck, proof like that for NASA would be like the Suribachi flag-raising photo as it affects the USMC! It would be one of the biggest stories in history, ever.

And yet - not a whisper from NASA. Or any of it's staff. Or anyone sensible.

Anyone here from Bad Astronomy's bad old days will remember "Piper" and Piper's ability to see alien woo in - well, let's just not go there. This is the same.
Comsat Angel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 01:32 PM   #26
Father Dagon
Graduate Poster
 
Father Dagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,193
Squar shaped? More like two L:s.

Anyway, more proof, please!
Father Dagon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2007, 02:00 PM   #27
Jason_Roberts
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20
I can't wait until Iapetus shows up somewhere in conversation. It's the bane of my skeptical existence, I swear.

I have seen the most sincere astronomers devolve into full-fledged woowoos overnight. (I almost hate that moon.)

So, before that one gets tossed into the fray, I just want to express that my opinion is that the alleged "wall" on that satellite is nothing more than the fine accumulation of material from one of Saturn's rings. Nothing more.

Mars is not the only body with the illusion of "artificial structures." The solar system is littered with them, apparently.

As Comsat_Angel said, there are people who can see these things in just about anything.

As a final note: .jpegs should never be used for any real analysis, whatsoever.
Jason_Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2007, 06:00 AM   #28
Temporal Renegade
Last of the Time Lords
 
Temporal Renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,890
Well, if *this* is what's awaiting us on the Red Planet, I say, all systems GO!

Click to enlarge
__________________
"Attention please..... a child has been lost in the Tunnel of Goats......"
.......FATHER TED
Temporal Renegade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2007, 08:02 AM   #29
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,192
Originally Posted by Temporal Renegade View Post
Well, if *this* is what's awaiting us on the Red Planet, I say, all systems GO!

Click to enlarge
http://img150.imagevenue.com/loc1037...122_1037lo.jpg
What you mean? I wouldn't want to meet that... Oh wait...
grmcdorman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2007, 08:14 AM   #30
Temporal Renegade
Last of the Time Lords
 
Temporal Renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,890
A lot better than a bunch of rocks, I'd say!
__________________
"Attention please..... a child has been lost in the Tunnel of Goats......"
.......FATHER TED
Temporal Renegade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2007, 12:36 PM   #31
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,341
You know when Mars was wet it could have developed intelligent being who could have developed a civilization but Mars lost its liquid water and it didn't happen. I read somewhere that if certain species of bacteria had been on Mars when it was wet would have caused a protective layer of some sort on the planet that would have kept the planet warmer and protected the planet from some of the suns rays. Mars had liquid water before the earth did and it could have happened. Too bad it didn't. I hope when man finally is able to set foot on Mars that they don't find some sort of fossilized creature that could have evolved into a intelligent being. That would compound the tradgedy for me.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2007, 02:07 PM   #32
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing
 
Corsair 115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,519
Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I read somewhere that if certain species of bacteria had been on Mars when it was wet would have caused a protective layer of some sort on the planet that would have kept the planet warmer and protected the planet from some of the suns rays.
My understanding is that in the longer term this wouldn't have mattered. The problem for Mars is twofold:

1) It has a low mass, just 11% that of the Earth's, and that translates into a surface gravity only 38% that of the Earth's. That low surface gravity means the planet would have a hard time retaining its atmosphere over the long term.

2) It has a small magnetic field. A strong magnetic field is important in shielding a planet's atmosphere from the solar wind, since without one the elementary particles streaming from the sun slowly eat away a planet's atmosphere.
__________________
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Because that goal will serve
to organize and measure the best of our abilities and skills, because that challenge is one we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and
one which we intend to win."
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2007, 06:12 PM   #33
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,341
Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
My understanding is that in the longer term this wouldn't have mattered. The problem for Mars is twofold:

1) It has a low mass, just 11% that of the Earth's, and that translates into a surface gravity only 38% that of the Earth's. That low surface gravity means the planet would have a hard time retaining its atmosphere over the long term.

2) It has a small magnetic field. A strong magnetic field is important in shielding a planet's atmosphere from the solar wind, since without one the elementary particles streaming from the sun slowly eat away a planet's atmosphere.
Well intelligent life on mars was screwed from the very beginning. What you say makes sense. Again I say. Too bad so sad. No little green men to greet us when we land there.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2007, 06:57 PM   #34
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation
 
Hokulele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Biggest Little City in the World
Posts: 29,305
Originally Posted by Temporal Renegade View Post
Well, if *this* is what's awaiting us on the Red Planet, I say, all systems GO!

I thoat someone would reference ERB in this thread.
__________________
"Oh god...What have you done, zooterkin? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!" - Cleon
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2007, 02:01 PM   #35
Temporal Renegade
Last of the Time Lords
 
Temporal Renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,890
Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
I thoat someone would reference ERB in this thread.
I Fal to Siv(as) what you're getting at....
__________________
"Attention please..... a child has been lost in the Tunnel of Goats......"
.......FATHER TED
Temporal Renegade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2007, 11:17 AM   #36
Babylon Sister
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 659
Originally Posted by soetkin View Post
About the third picture, I assume Sweaty meant the big rock in the middle that looks like the head of a snarling pig-like animal. No?
Pareidolia is fun.
No, no! Don't you see? It's the spout of a teapot and the larger object is a teacozy. We are, afterall, talking about civilization here.
Babylon Sister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2008, 02:55 PM   #37
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole
 
kitakaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sapporo ichiban!
Posts: 9,235
I just caught National Geographic's 'Is it Real? Life on Mars' episode on youtube and thought Sweaty, as a believer in Martian civilization, might like a boo if he hasn't already seen it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pg91AFk5YFM

I must say, it takes a special sort of determination to hold on to woo like this.
__________________
Until better evidence is provided, the best solution to the PGF is that it is a man in a suit. -Astrophotographer.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2008, 01:29 PM   #38
SweatyYeti
Master Poster
 
SweatyYeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,919
Thanks for the link, Kitty!

I'm looking forward to watching it later, with my buddy, Marvin...





Here's the latest find on Mars, courtesy of the Rovers.
It's a nice, shiny rectangular object.....



Here's the full image...notice how the artificial-looking object is so much more reflective than all the rocks in the picture...almost as if it was metallic...





Notice also how the ground inside the disturbed ring of soil looks different than the ground outside the ring.

All in all....very anomolous.
__________________
The wisdom of Diogenes....
"So far, I am not aware of any evidence which indicates with any degree of likeliness, however small, that Bigfoot creatures exist....anywhere in the world."

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 7th May 2008 at 03:06 PM.
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2008, 03:03 PM   #39
Lensman
Graduate Poster
 
Lensman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,922
Originally Posted by Babylon Sister View Post
No, no! Don't you see? It's the spout of a teapot and the larger object is a teacozy. We are, afterall, talking about civilization here.
I saw the teapot spout too, but I missed the teacozy (I've always spelled it as "teacosy" though).

At least they had time for tea, although I'd hate to think what it tasted like, what with the low atmospheric pressure causing water to boil at a very low temperature - the water must be at 100 deg C to make proper tea & that just ain't gonna happen on Mars!!!
__________________
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.
If every cloud has a silver lining - doesn't that also mean every silver lining has a cloud?
I have learned that if you upset your wife, she nags you. If you upset her even more you get the silent treatment. Don't you think it's worth the extra effort?
If the early bird catches the worm - shouldn't the worm have stayed in bed?
Lensman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2008, 03:32 PM   #40
SweatyYeti
Master Poster
 
SweatyYeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,919
Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post

Just out of interest, what exactly was the third picture supposed to show? I can at least understand the claims about regular shapes and the second noe has a rock that looks vaguely snake-like, but the third one really does just look like a pile of rocks.

The 3rd picture has a curved tube-like "rock" in it...and it appears to be hollow.

I increased the contrast, and cropped the image. The object is right in the middle of the picture...





A close-up, just so it's perfectly clear what I'm refering to....

__________________
The wisdom of Diogenes....
"So far, I am not aware of any evidence which indicates with any degree of likeliness, however small, that Bigfoot creatures exist....anywhere in the world."

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.