IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th July 2007, 05:30 AM   #1
BPSCG
Penultimate Amazing

93-Year-Old Man Shoots Burglar

Quote:
EL DORADO, Ark. (AP) - An elderly man beaten unconscious by an assailant wielding a soda can awoke and shot the man during an attempted robbery, police said.

Willie Lee Hill, 93, told police he saw the robber while in his bedroom Wednesday night. Hill confronted the man and was struck at least 50 times, police said. He was knocked unconscious.

Covered in blood, Hill regained consciousness a short time later and pulled a .38-caliber handgun on his attacker. The suspect, Douglas B. Williams Jr., saw the gun and charged the man, who fired a bullet that struck Williams in the throat, police said.

"I got what I deserved," Williams, 24, told police when they arrived, officers said. Investigators reported finding, among other items, a Craftsman drill bit set, three pocket knives and two hearing aids inside his pockets.
Link.
BPSCG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Zep
Banned

Y'know, if someone beat you over the head more than 50 times with any reasonable force, you would be more than unconscious, you would be approaching dead, wouldn't you?

So how hard was he REALLY hit? Pat-a-cake? Bitch-slap?
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Learning Phase
Scholar

Should have aimed higher, maybe 6 inches.

Congrats to the old guy.

Robert A. Heinlein
Learning Phase is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 07:23 AM   #4
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

When soda cans are outlawed, only outlaws will have soda cans.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 07:36 AM   #5
JJR
Muse

Originally Posted by Learning Phase View Post

Congrats to the old guy.
Yep.
JJR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 09:40 AM   #6
azazal
Ninja Wave: Techno Ninja

He gets me BAMF of the week vote
Old 29th July 2007, 10:11 AM   #7
Rob Lister

Originally Posted by Learning Phase View Post

Congrats to the old guy.
nah, aim center mass and double tap. shoot to stop. the old man probably did just that (minus the double tap)
Rob Lister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 10:14 AM   #8
jsiv
Illuminator

See, guns aren't all bad.
jsiv is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 10:35 AM   #9
JJR
Muse

Originally Posted by jsiv View Post
See, guns aren't all bad.
Totally . ..
JJR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 10:38 AM   #10
jsiv
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JJR View Post
Totally . ..

Unless they're in the hands of farmers.
jsiv is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 10:43 AM   #11
BPSCG
Penultimate Amazing

If I see an unconscious 93-year-old man with a gun, I'll kill him!
BPSCG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 12:36 PM   #12
Art Vandelay
Illuminator

Clearly, the robber didn't see the gun ahead of time, or he wouldn't have stopped beating him. So if I see an unconscious 93-year-old man, I'll kill him whether I see a gun or not.
Art Vandelay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 01:14 PM   #13
monoman
Master baiter - I fish!

Originally Posted by BPSCG View Post
Careful, you'll have this little gem banned if you proliferate it much more.
monoman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 06:13 PM   #14
fuelair
Banned

Surely you do not wish to put Claus out of work!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 08:20 PM   #15
CplFerro
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Zep View Post
Y'know, if someone beat you over the head more than 50 times with any reasonable force, you would be more than unconscious, you would be approaching dead, wouldn't you?

Dear Zep,

I submit that you've been overcharged by Hollywood. Humans mostly fight like animals, and animals fight conservatively. Most strikes aren't going to be particularly harsh. Painful perhaps, but not terribly forceful.

I recall a similar case over a decade ago where a gas station attendant was hit over the head with a fire extinguisher more than twenty times in a vain attempt to "knock him unconscious like in the movies."

Regarding the subject, I regret the assailant was not killed. Perhaps poisoned bullets...

Cpl Ferro
CplFerro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 08:25 PM   #16
strathmeyer
Master Poster

Hesitation. He was working up the nerve.

Or maybe the old man was just tough as balls. Some people work out, you know.
strathmeyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2007, 08:31 PM   #17
UserGoogol
Master Poster

I hope the burglar got better. I mean sure, he's a dick, and his being shot was arguably justifiable, but there's no advantage of having him actually die.
UserGoogol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 12:00 AM   #18
Zep
Banned

Originally Posted by CplFerro View Post
Dear Zep,

I submit that you've been overcharged by Hollywood. Humans mostly fight like animals, and animals fight conservatively. Most strikes aren't going to be particularly harsh. Painful perhaps, but not terribly forceful.

I recall a similar case over a decade ago where a gas station attendant was hit over the head with a fire extinguisher more than twenty times in a vain attempt to "knock him unconscious like in the movies."

Regarding the subject, I regret the assailant was not killed. Perhaps poisoned bullets...

Cpl Ferro
I'm aware of that. So it's pat-a-cake then!
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 12:45 AM   #19
fuelair
Banned

I'm aware of that. So it's pat-a-cake then!
I'm so glad I am better trained that that - don't fight if you don't have to but any fight more than 10 seconds long means either a really even match or play-fighting.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 02:28 AM   #20
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Many Americans unshakable resolve towards 'Keeping ma gun, and if you dont like it you can geeet out' is worrying for reasonable Brits like me.

Do you really think Humans are competent enough to keep a gun under the pillow?

That said, gun control seems to be hopeless invention.
Undesired Walrus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 02:55 AM   #21
Zep
Banned

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I'm so glad I am better trained that that - don't fight if you don't have to but any fight more than 10 seconds long means either a really even match or play-fighting.
Agreed. It should really be all over in one hit...if you are really serious about stopping someone. Not that I advocate that sort of violence, of course, but I believe I can look after myself in such a situation if I have to.
Old 30th July 2007, 03:55 AM   #22
blndrhed
Thinker

I've owned my share of guns: several handguns and assault rifles and a few shotguns. I freakin' hate the NRA. They are nothing but lobbyists for gun manufacturers, and I think gun owners advocacy should be left to the citizens and not the gun industry. I can also tell you a few stories of people in my area who have been hit by stray bullets from carelessly discharged firearms. Gun control is a gray area for me. I wouldn't have a problem with a certification program. I, myself, have taken courses and have obtained a license to carry a concealed weapon at one point. I tend to go for a shotgun as far as home defense, to many neighbors close by.
blndrhed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 04:13 AM   #23
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by UserGoogol View Post
I hope the burglar got better. I mean sure, he's a dick, and his being shot was arguably justifiable, but there's no advantage of having him actually die.
You are joking right? If he was killed, then he will never try to hurt anyone again. But he is alive for now. If he lives long enough to go to prison, he may be a threat to the people whose job it is to watch over and care for him in prison. When he gets out, there is a chance he will still be a threat to those around him. What makes you think anyone low enough to beat a 93 year old man has any reason to shape up and live right?

His death would have been justifiable.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 04:24 AM   #24
Rob Lister

He's going to live but I see no advantage in it.
Rob Lister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 04:43 AM   #25
Zep
Banned

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
You are joking right? If he was killed, then he will never try to hurt anyone again. But he is alive for now. If he lives long enough to go to prison, he may be a threat to the people whose job it is to watch over and care for him in prison. When he gets out, there is a chance he will still be a threat to those around him. What makes you think anyone low enough to beat a 93 year old man has any reason to shape up and live right?

Ranb
So when the police came to question him, it would have been the word of a 93-year-old who had been knocked insensible that would be judge and jury enough to blow the guy away and walk away scot-free?

I must try that next time I feel like killing a neighbour: Invite them over and blast them, then bang my head on the ground a few times so I bruise and bleed, then call the police and trot out the above story. Sweet!
Old 30th July 2007, 04:50 AM   #26
BPSCG
Penultimate Amazing

So when the police came to question him, it would have been the word of a 93-year-old who had been knocked insensible that would be judge and jury enough to blow the guy away and walk away scot-free?

I must try that next time I feel like killing a neighbour: Invite them over and blast them, then bang my head on the ground a few times so I bruise and bleed, then call the police and trot out the above story. Sweet!
Do you really think that's what happened here?

Let's take the gun out of the story. What should Mr. Hill have done to stop the burglar?
Old 30th July 2007, 04:51 AM   #27
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

'They toook arrre gooons! If they dont like it they can geeet out'
Undesired Walrus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 04:59 AM   #28
The Painter
Banned

Try that. Let us know how it works out.
The Painter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 05:09 AM   #29
Zep
Banned

Originally Posted by The Painter View Post
Try that. Let us know how it works out.
We REALLY need a "sarcasm" smilie...
Old 30th July 2007, 05:17 AM   #30
Zep
Banned

Do you really think that's what happened here?
If the other guy was dead from being shot as you advocated, you can't rule it out. Can you. All that CSI crime-scene recreation from two hairs and a gum-wrapper stuff only happens on TV...

Let's take the gun out of the story. What should Mr. Hill have done to stop the burglar?
He was beaten unconscious before he was burgled, according to the story. So I guess all he could do was to have kept on lying there. It was only after he came round again that he started shooting. So by then he wasn't preventing the burglary, nor was he stopping it. He was simply apprehending the villain after the fact.

To be honest, I would probably do something similar, but I wouldn't shoot to kill. But then I wouldn't shoot at all if I could bail the guy up and call the police either.
Old 30th July 2007, 05:45 AM   #31
BPSCG
Penultimate Amazing

He was beaten unconscious before he was burgled, according to the story. So I guess all he could do was to have kept on lying there. It was only after he came round again that he started shooting. So by then he wasn't preventing the burglary, nor was he stopping it. He was simply apprehending the villain after the fact.
I beg to differ. He wasn't preventing the break-in, since it had already happened. But he was certainly preventing the burglary. You noted the part in the story where it says the burglar didn't get away.

Quote:
To be honest, I would probably do something similar, but I wouldn't shoot to kill. But then I wouldn't shoot at all if I could bail the guy up and call the police either.
I think you are far more charitable and forgiving than I would be in similar circumstances. Someone breaks into my house and beats me unconscious, I am going to assume he would not hesitate to kill me. In which case, I would do my best to make him one of the deadest men who ever lived.

Last edited by BPSCG; 30th July 2007 at 05:48 AM.
Old 30th July 2007, 06:24 AM   #32
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Sure there is. He wouldn't be able to try to kill any other 93 year olds.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 07:29 AM   #33
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

[u].....It was only after he came round again that he started shooting. So by then he wasn't preventing the burglary, nor was he stopping it. He was simply apprehending the villain after the fact......
If you read the original link again, it says that the burglar charged the victim after seeing him awake with the gun. Most people I think would say the old man acted in self defense. There MIGHT be a few people here who would have trusted the burglar to not beat them again. I am not one of those people, are you? I hope not.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 08:24 AM   #34
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But death is funny. That is why so many here would have prefered him dead.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 08:27 AM   #35
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post

Ranb
So when ever you can get away with killing someone you should?

It would seem you are advocating the death penalty for assault and battery as well.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 08:27 AM   #36
JJR
Muse

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But death is funny. That is why so many here would have prefered him dead.
It's only funny if he is a monster with an underdeveloped pre-frontal cortex and can't inhibit his impulses. In the near future perhaps that can be changed.

Probably have to be done at birth. I really can't see a printer printing out a new brain for a man. That would be just silly, even though printers will print out hearts and flying cars (at least ambulances and other emergency vehicles) will be a reality. Already have one, but it's too noisy. Uses the same software as the VTAL (Vertical Takeoff And Landing) jets use to keep it stable.
Old 30th July 2007, 08:30 AM   #37
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

So you've just woken after having been beaten unconscious, you're 93 years old, and you think you have it in you to tie down a young 20-something man who just beat the crap out of you?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2007, 08:31 AM   #38
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by JJR View Post
It's only funny if he is a monster with an underdeveloped pre-frontal cortex and can't inhibit his impulses. In the near future perhaps that can be changed.
So you think assault and battery of an elderly indivual should merrit a death penalty as a general rule then?
Old 30th July 2007, 08:36 AM   #39
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jsiv View Post
Or users of ATV's
Old 30th July 2007, 08:39 AM   #40
JJR
Muse

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
So you think assault and battery of an elderly indivual should merrit a death penalty as a general rule then?
Assault and battery? No, these guys with the bad brains kill at the drop of a hat. When you would slap someone, they just kill them. I was just saying that DEATH is funny when the person who dies is a monster.

If a guy just ate a baby and was then shot I would laugh. This won't change for me.

The reason I said, "Yep" earlier is because the burgler was invading the elderly man's home, and there's no telling what the burgler will do. Tresspassing, breaking and entering are stupid things to do and it's refreshing to see the bad guy get hurt instead of the innocent folks minding their own business.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics