IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags demography , evolution , reincarnation , science

Old 14th August 2007, 09:33 AM   #1
wogoga
Critical Thinker

Reincarnation as a scientific hypothesis

There have been many interesting answers to my posting 'Replacement of the bonds by gold'. Among others, questions and objections to my claims concerning reincarnation have been risen. It seems more appropriate to me to discuss this topic in a separate thread.

For the first time I consciously dealt with reincarnation twenty years ago. It seemed then as unacceptable to me as it seems to you still now. But already around one year later, in 1988, I became convinced that reincarnation is a scientific fact. At the beginning, the demographic development of mankind seemed to me the strongest argument against reincarnation. But already in 1997, when I wrote 'The Demographic Saturation Theory', demography had become a main support of reincarnation. And the last ten years have further confirmed the predictions of the demographic saturation model. See 'A Critical Analysis of the 2006 Revision of the UN World Population Prospects' (mostly banned from Google), published on the net in June 2007 with these chapters:

- Introduction
- The most obvious anomalies of the 2006 revision
- The essence of demographic transition
- Direct-replacement versus generation-replacement fertility
- Saturated populations as the endpoint of demographic transition
- Classification in subpopulations and evolutionary relatedness
- The effect of migration on direct-replacement fertility
- The emergence of natural decrease
- The effect of wars on fecundability and on sex ratio at birth
- China's missing girls
- Conclusion

It is true that the assumption is possible that in China every year around one million girls are killed before or after birth only because they are girls. But at least in the poorer social groups and in remote regions, antenatal sex determination should not be very widespread. And the Chinese population knows that there are not enough girls, and this knowledge alone makes the birth of a girl valuable.

Yet it is a fact that the sex ratio of the whole population of China does not change and that "the missing girls" are confronted with a "feminization of the elderly".

My reincarnation theory has nothing to do with religious or esoteric reincarnation theories.

Two extracts from 'The Psychon Theory':

"For a person to be born, what is required is a human soul which has evolved by reincarnation. Human souls are reborn with increased probability in a similar environment. This ENVIRONMENT CONTINUITY can easily be verified empirically (e.g. by examining persons with pronounced rare characteristics). A manifestation of this principle is that persons are often in contact with persons they have also been in contact with in former lives. Environment continuity is also valid for animal souls. It is essential when a species splits into subspecies. It stands to reason that environment continuity is valid not only for human and animal souls but for all psychons."

"Essential human properties or their predispositions such as character, social behaviour, intelligence, talents, likings, aversions and phobias are given by the soul. It is not astonishing that somebody who died in his last life in an overcrowded cattle wagon after long suffering gets claustrophobia e.g. in an overcrowed cable railway."

In any case, I'm a consistent exponent of evolution. I do not only believe that our ancestors were apes, but I'm convinced that we ourselves were the monkeys we descend from. Neodarwinism however seems to me a rather absurd creation theory, because it assumes that the universe was hyper-designed and super-created by a big bang in such a complex way that blind downhill processes (increasing entropy) can design and create whole ecosystems.

Cheers, Wolfgang
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 10:16 AM   #2
andyandy
anthropomorphic ape

why is the male:female ratio in China evidence of reincarnation?

do you not find it odd that a far more plausible explanation (that of the one child policy) can be used to describe the male:female ratio in China without recourse to reincarnation?

If reincarnation requires a gender imbalance then do only countries with disproportionate ratios experience reincarnation?

Last edited by andyandy; 14th August 2007 at 10:25 AM.
andyandy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Miss Anthrope
Illuminator

Originally Posted by andyandy View Post
why in the male:female ratio in China evidence of reincarnation?

do you not find it odd that a far more plausible explanation (that of the one child policy) can be used to describe the male:female ratio in China without recourse to reincarnation?

If reincarnation requires a gender imbalance then do only countries with disproportionate ratios experience reincarnation?
Thank you. Beat me to it and definitely said it better.
Miss Anthrope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Antranik1
Scholar

I assumed before opening this thread that I was going to hear some other kind of information to back up reincarnation but I never thought analyzing demographics can provide any support. Is this Psychon Theory the same as your Demographic Saturation Theory? The psychon theory doesn't make sense to me because when you are born, you do not live your life with the memories/experiences/knowledge from any previous life. You start on a completely new slate and learn everything from start to finish. The only phenomenon that would help establish support for reincarnation would be one of those "past life regression" hypnotists who takes care not to create suggestions that would provoke their imagination to create scenarios somehow..
Antranik1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 10:44 AM   #5
JonWhite
Muse

As a "qualified" hypnotherapist and certified "Advanced Past Lives Practitioner" (courtesy of an extra 8 day course), in my annecdotal experience I have seen nothing that makes me in any way believe in reincarnation.

I have seen people become highly engrossed and emotionally involved in their internal, guided flights of past life imagination however...

Last edited by JonWhite; 14th August 2007 at 10:47 AM.
JonWhite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Antranik1
Scholar

Ah okay, good to know JonWhite.

Wolfgang, why would google ban an analysis of the UN population reports?
Antranik1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Magic 9-Ball
Hey, that's a good name
for a band!

I'm sorry, but is this thread about scientific validation of reincarnation? Or is it about proof of souls, evolution, big bang theory, or the gender-driven murder of chinese girls?

If I may ask, are you saying:

1. 'The Psychon Theory' is proof of reincarnation?
2. Souls exist for humans and animals?
3. Humans (homo sapiens) descended from themselves?
4. All phobias come from occurances in previous lives?
Old 14th August 2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Jekyll
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by wogoga View Post
See 'A Critical Analysis of the 2006 Revision of the UN World Population Prospects' (mostly banned from Google),Cheers, Wolfgang
This link?
The second link to come up when I googled "A Critical Analysis of the 2006 Revision of the UN World Population Prospects".
The first being your link page.
http://members.lol.li/twostone/demog..._analysis.html

Google obviously needs to work harder at mostly banning you.
Jekyll is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Lanzy
Muse

After you prove the soul, I'll read more.
Lanzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 05:18 PM   #10
Jorghnassen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lanzy View Post
Beat me to it. It's hard to start a scientific enterprise with wholly unscientific premises.
Old 14th August 2007, 05:25 PM   #11
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I remember reading a science fiction short story some decades ago in which children were being born without any intelligence or personalities. The answer -- the population had grown to the point that there were no souls left to reincarnate.

When this actually happens I may become a believer.
Old 14th August 2007, 05:57 PM   #12
DangerousBeliefs
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I remember reading a science fiction short story some decades ago in which children were being born without any intelligence or personalities. The answer -- the population had grown to the point that there were no souls left to reincarnate.

When this actually happens I may become a believer.
I offer as proof then - Creationists... born without any intelligence or personalities.
Old 14th August 2007, 06:14 PM   #13
athon

As others have suggested, addressing reincarnation requires first some evidence for dualism. To suggest self-awarenss and memories can exist independantly of the body they are formed within needs to be addressed before one can demonstrate that this can be transferred from one body to another.

Reincarnation is like most pseudoscience - it relies on anecdotes and data mining and falls apart when the questions start to hammer down. I predict this will be another post-and-run, where the hard questions will be avoided and the poster will only respond to the more snide remarks being made.

Athon
athon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 06:20 PM   #14
Antranik1
Scholar

Originally Posted by Lanzy View Post
Yeah, I'd be more interested in this!
Old 14th August 2007, 07:31 PM   #15
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DangerousBeliefs View Post
I offer as proof then - Creationists... born without any intelligence or personalities.
Damn, I had not thought of that!
Old 14th August 2007, 07:37 PM   #16
strathmeyer
Master Poster

In any case, I'm a consistent exponent of evolution. I do not only believe that our ancestors were apes, but I'm convinced that we ourselves were the monkeys we descend from. Neodarwinism however seems to me a rather absurd creation theory, because it assumes that the universe was hyper-designed and super-created by a big bang in such a complex way that blind downhill processes (increasing entropy) can design and create whole ecosystems.
Darwinism has nothing to do with creation, and your use of the word "neodarwinism" suggests you only wish to have a dishonest discussion about the subject.

Why ramble for a few paragraphs without doing what is suggested by your title: providing a scientific hypothesis for reincarnation? I know, do you?
strathmeyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 07:41 PM   #17
JoeEllison
Cuddly Like a Koala Bear

Wow, that's some incredibly deep, ummmm... stuff?

I know the OP was in English, but I'm not sure that there were any complete thoughts expressed, except an attack on "neodarwinism" that presented something that isn't anything remotely related to Darwin.
JoeEllison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 08:01 PM   #18
joobz
Tergiversator

There have been many interesting answers to my posting 'Replacement of the bonds by gold'. ....
that plus this thread equals the only two posts you've made.
meaning, that you seem to not plan on actually discussing the points you've made.
"Perhaps one reason per capita GDP is lower in UHC countries is because they've tried to prevent this important function [bankrupting the sick] and thus carry forward considerable economic dead wood?"-BeAChooser
joobz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2007, 08:49 PM   #19
Slimething
Illuminator

Here's your cat from a previous life, Wolfgang!

Edited by Miss Anthrope:  Image removed

Mod Warning Remember to be civil and polite. Please argue your issues with the subject brought up in the thread rather than making it personal
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:Miss Anthrope

Last edited by Miss Anthrope; 14th August 2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Civility
Slimething is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 12:32 AM   #20
MortFurd
Master Poster

If reincarnation were real, how do you explain population growth?
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 02:47 AM   #21
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

I can't help noticing the lack of a scientific hypothesis.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 03:45 AM   #22
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

For a person to be born, what is required is a human soul which has evolved by reincarnation.
Do identical twins have one soul or two?
At what point does the soul become required: conception, birth, or somewhere in between?
Do cloned humans get their own soul or not?

Quote:
Human souls are reborn with increased probability in a similar environment. This ENVIRONMENT CONTINUITY can easily be verified empirically (e.g. by examining persons with pronounced rare characteristics).
Can you give some examples of this empirically verifiable assertion?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
ETA: I suspect that everyone here would love for you to answer the questions in the order given. Please don't skip any sincere questions.

Do you believe that reincarnated souls should be held responsible for actions in their previous lives? E.g. if we could find Hitler's reincarnated soul in someone, would it be just to imprison that person?

Last edited by Ladewig; 15th August 2007 at 03:50 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 04:12 AM   #23
Normal Dude
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Prospects' (mostly banned from Google), published on the net in June 2007 with these chapters
A poster has already stated that the paper is readily available on Google. Why would they ban it, and why lie about them banning it?

And the Chinese population knows that there are not enough girls, and this knowledge alone makes the birth of a girl valuable.
Evidence for this? Simply conjecture?

"For a person to be born, what is required is a human soul which has evolved by reincarnation. Human souls are reborn with increased probability in a similar environment. This ENVIRONMENT CONTINUITY can easily be verified empirically (e.g. by examining persons with pronounced rare characteristics). A manifestation of this principle is that persons are often in contact with persons they have also been in contact with in former lives. Environment continuity is also valid for animal souls. It is essential when a species splits into subspecies. It stands to reason that environment continuity is valid not only for human and animal souls but for all psychons."
More conjecture.

"Essential human properties or their predispositions such as character, social behaviour, intelligence, talents, likings, aversions and phobias are given by the soul. It is not astonishing that somebody who died in his last life in an overcrowded cattle wagon after long suffering gets claustrophobia e.g. in an overcrowed cable railway."
Yet more baseless conjecture.

Neodarwinism however seems to me a rather absurd creation theory, because it assumes that the universe was hyper-designed and super-created by a big bang...
Huh? Do you know what neodarwinism is?

... in such a complex way that blind downhill processes (increasing entropy) can design and create whole ecosystems.
I suggest you look up the difference between a closed and open system.

And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT -Rwalsh
Normal Dude is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 06:10 AM   #24
athon

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Do identical twins have one soul or two?
One soul, but it is shared. This is why twins have such psychic connections. It is rejoined one death which is why twins tend to die relatively close to one another in time.

Quote:
At what point does the soul become required: conception, birth, or somewhere in between?
Souls are attained when the brain is developed enough to be able to hold onto it.

Quote:
Do cloned humans get their own soul or not?
No. This is why we can't clone humans - we can't make the souls stick to them.

Quote:
Can you give some examples of this empirically verifiable assertion?
Sure. Roman Empire or British? There are reincarnations from both.

Quote:
Do you believe that reincarnated souls should be held responsible for actions in their previous lives? E.g. if we could find Hitler's reincarnated soul in someone, would it be just to imprison that person?
No. They are all forgiven in Heaven, which is why they can return as humans. Otherwise they'd come back as lawn grubs.

Athon

(How'd I do?)
athon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 06:48 AM   #25
Magic 9-Ball
Hey, that's a good name
for a band!

Originally Posted by athon View Post
No. This is why we can't clone humans - we can't make the souls stick to them.

Agree. When I was losing my religion my soul kept wandering off. I tried duct tape, Krazy glue and velcro, all unsuccessfully. It finally wandered off, never to be seen again. Well, until I'm reincarnated I suppose.

I'm still waiting to hear an answer to my question about how humans descended from themselves. I'd like to see that proof.
Old 15th August 2007, 06:50 AM   #26
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by athon View Post
Athon

(How'd I do?)
Politeness dictates that I refrain from answering your question until the OPer either addresses the issues or makes it clear that he will not address the issues.
Old 15th August 2007, 12:38 PM   #27
wogoga
Critical Thinker

>> Is this Psychon Theory the same as your Demographic Saturation Theory? <<

Demographic saturation is a logical consequence of the psychon theory.

>> The psychon theory doesn't make sense to me because when you are born, you do not live your life with the memories/experiences/knowledge from any previous life. <<

It is obvious that the psychon theory does not agree with the premise that past lives cannot have any influence on a personality. But do we remember what happend to us in our first two years after birth?

>> 1. 'The Psychon Theory' is proof of reincarnation? <<

Are Kepler's laws a proof of heliocentrism? In the same way as Kepler's laws imply heliocentrism, the psychon theory implies reincarnation.

>> 2. Souls exist for humans and animals? <<

Yes. See for instance my text: "McDougall's Lamarckian Experiment on Training of Rats"

>> 3. Humans (homo sapiens) descended from themselves? <<

The abstract of the theory: "The psychon theory is a panpsychist evolution theory based on a continuity from elementary particles to human souls. Elementary particles are like very primitive and basic organisms and we all (our souls) were elementary particles billions of years ago. During evolution our psychons (souls) have been responsible for the behaviour of atoms, molecules, enzymes, living cells, primitive neurons, primitive animals, ... , monkeys and of our ancestors. The psychon theory has very concrete consequences, for instance there must be a limit to the number of human souls, which according to the latest demographic data could be even less than 7 billion."

>> 4. All phobias come from occurences in previous lives? <<

Many phobias come also from past occurences of the current life.

>> After you prove the soul, I'll read more. <<

That's an excellent strategy to defend one's world view: "Only after you convinced me I start listening." It is impossible to prove the soul or similar concepts outside a theoretical framework. The only way to prove a physical reality of souls consists in giving concrete facts which suggest the existence of souls.

>> It's hard to start a scientific enterprise with wholly unscientific premises. <<

Nobody can decide by metaphysical claims (e.g. about the soul) whether something is scientific or not. The only method which has always been scientific is an unbiased analysis of facts and theories. This analysis can lead to verifiable hypotheses which can be in contradiction with well-established theories.

Helicentrism seemed once as unscientific that Osiander appended an anonymous preface to the work of Copernicus which maintained that the hypotheses of Copernicus made no pretense to truth?

"Ironically, Osiander's 'letter' made it possible for the book to be read as a new method of calculation, rather than a work of natural philosophy, and in so doing may even have aided in its initially positive reception." (Source: crystalinks)

>> As others have suggested, addressing reincarnation requires first some evidence for dualism. <<

That's true. The form of dualism my theory is based on has been called panpsychism or pantheism in the past (e.g. Cusanus, Bruno, Kepler, Leibniz). Pandualism or simply dualism is probably a better name.

>> If reincarnation were real, how do you explain population growth? <<

Let us assume that 7.5 billion human souls have evolved on earth. In this case the world population cannot exceed 7.5 billion (corresponding to a saturation value of 100%). However saturation values below 100% percent are possible.

"Before the onset of demographic transition, the saturation values of populations are generally much lower than 100%. The more difficult survival is and the higher mortality risks are, the lower are saturation values." (Critical Analysis)

>> Do identical twins have one soul or two? <<

I've addressed this question in my article: "The End of Reductionism". Here an extract: "A most impressive refutation of reductionism represents a thought experiment. We assume a machine capable of producing copies of everything which do not differ physically and chemically from the original. According to consequent reductionism such a copy of you would be capable of surviving, and more importantly, it would not be distinguishable from you at all. The copy would have all your memories and properties and would believe like you that it is you. Not even the question whether you are the original or the copy would make any sense."

>> At what point does the soul become required: conception, birth, or somewhere in between? <<

"After death and before incarnation, souls exist only potentially and cannot be located in space. There is some evidence suggesting that the soul of a still living person can start a new incarnation. Then the development of the embryo and (in rare cases) baby is paralleled by a disappearing vitality of the person animated by the same soul, and it seems plausible that preventing a dying person forcefully from dying can lead to the death of a baby animated by the same soul." (The Psychon Theory)

>> Do you believe that reincarnated souls should be held responsible for actions in their previous lives? E.g. if we could find Hitler's reincarnated soul in someone, would it be just to imprison that person? <<

It seems quite probable to me that Jörg Haider (an Austrian politician) is Hitler's reincarnation. In future it will be more problematic to escape one's responsibility by committing suicide.

Cheers, Wolfgang
wogoga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 12:43 PM   #28
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by Magic 9-Ball View Post
Agree. When I was losing my religion my soul kept wandering off. I tried duct tape, Krazy glue and velcro, all unsuccessfully. It finally wandered off, never to be seen again. Well, until I'm reincarnated I suppose.

In Peter Pan, didn't Wendy sew Peter's shadow to the bottom of his feet? Do you think that would work with souls as well?
Old 15th August 2007, 01:30 PM   #29
Magic 9-Ball
Hey, that's a good name
for a band!

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
In Peter Pan, didn't Wendy sew Peter's shadow to the bottom of his feet? Do you think that would work with souls as well?

Ouch! I think Peter was wearing shoes at the time.

Interesting thought, though. But then the soul would be attached to my feet, when it's most likely to be in my heart or brain, I think? Plus the likely problem of the soul and shadow occupying to same place at the same time. That can't be good, right?
Old 15th August 2007, 01:40 PM   #30
Magic 9-Ball
Hey, that's a good name
for a band!

Yes. See for instance my text: "McDougall's Lamarckian Experiment on Training of Rats"

>> 3. Humans (homo sapiens) descended from themselves? <<

The abstract of the theory: "The psychon theory is a panpsychist evolution theory based on a continuity from elementary particles to human souls. Elementary particles are like very primitive and basic organisms and we all (our souls) were elementary particles billions of years ago. During evolution our psychons (souls) have been responsible for the behaviour of atoms, molecules, enzymes, living cells, primitive neurons, primitive animals, ... , monkeys and of our ancestors. The psychon theory has very concrete consequences, for instance there must be a limit to the number of human souls, which according to the latest demographic data could be even less than 7 billion."

Oh.

So humans only have 7 billion souls to share, but rats get many billions?
Old 15th August 2007, 01:46 PM   #31
Tricky
Briefly immortal

What happened to the leftover dinosaur souls?
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 02:25 PM   #32
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Ladewig
>> Do you believe that reincarnated souls should be held responsible for actions in their previous lives? E.g. if we could find Hitler's reincarnated soul in someone, would it be just to imprison that person? <<
It seems quite probable to me that Jörg Haider (an Austrian politician) is Hitler's reincarnation. In future it will be more problematic to escape one's responsibility by committing suicide.
So, do you believe it is just and fair to punish the person animated by the reincarnated soul of someone as heinous as Hitler?
Old 15th August 2007, 04:31 PM   #33
Slimething
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
So, do you believe it is just and fair to punish the person animated by the reincarnated soul of someone as heinous as Hitler?
If so, that would be this guy:
Edited by Miss Anthrope:  Zee cat haz bin removed

Mod Warning Lolcatmod is not amused. Please see Darat's Q&A on the new membership agreement, specifically, on the use of kitten bombs and recipes in the public sections.
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:Miss Anthrope

Last edited by Miss Anthrope; 15th August 2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: derailing-new MA
Slimething is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2007, 04:53 PM   #34
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

If a clairvoyant is hypnotised, does he regress to past lives or progress to future lives?
If what is reincarnated is consciousness, presumably there must be an earliest example. Any reincarnated Cro-Magnons out there?
Has there ever existed a soul that Shirley Maclaine wasn't?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 01:17 AM   #35
MortFurd
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Magic 9-Ball View Post
Ouch! I think Peter was wearing shoes at the time.
Interesting thought, though. But then the soul would be attached to my feet, when it's most likely to be in my heart or brain, I think? Plus the likely problem of the soul and shadow occupying to same place at the same time. That can't be good, right?
Nope. I distinctly remember Wendy telling Peter to hold still as couldn't hurt THAT much.
MortFurd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 08:10 AM   #36
Magic 9-Ball
Hey, that's a good name
for a band!

Originally Posted by MortFurd View Post
Nope. I distinctly remember Wendy telling Peter to hold still as couldn't hurt THAT much.

Interesting. Possibly it's only attached to the most outer layers of skin. Maybe Wendy was really skilled. Or she used those really thin accupunture needles.

Or worse:

Shadow On - Apply Directly to the Feet
Shadow On - Apply Directly to the Feet
Old 16th August 2007, 08:54 AM   #37
Antranik1
Scholar

I actually read this and it's difficult to read for me so maybe the answer to my next question is in there and I just didn't understand it. The entire time I was reading the study, I was wondering how or why you can make the assumption that a lab-rats soul will reincarnate in its future offspring? You're trying to differentiate between genetic and reincarnation so you're using all the same bunch of rats in one lab, but why wouldn't a soul of a rat reincarnate on a completely different continent, let alone the same lab? That's like assuming that my great great grandfather (or some other ancestor) would have to actually be a previous incarnation of me.

Wolfgang, it seems like you have spent many, many years researching this and trying to tackle it scientifically. That's great and all and I'm all for it but when you present your information, realize that not everyone knows what you're talking about so you must explain everything in detail and start from the most basic ideas (don't jump around like in the original post).
Old 16th August 2007, 12:25 PM   #38
plumjam
Banned

Originally Posted by MortFurd View Post
If reincarnation were real, how do you explain population growth?
you are assuming that there should be a particular allowable number of souls in the universe
plumjam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 12:46 PM   #39
wogoga
Critical Thinker

Article: 'McDougall's Lamarckian Experiment on Training of Rats'

Originally Posted by Antranik1 View Post
I actually read this and it's difficult to read for me so maybe the answer to my next question is in there and I just didn't understand it. The entire time I was reading the study, I was wondering how or why you can make the assumption that a lab-rats soul will reincarnate in its future offspring? You're trying to differentiate between genetic and reincarnation so you're using all the same bunch of rats in one lab, but why wouldn't a soul of a rat reincarnate on a completely different continent, let alone the same lab?
It is because of 'environment continuity' mentioned in the opening post. Souls are considered physically real entities and 'evolutionary relatedness' is considered a key property of evolution. The relatedness of your soul to the souls of your family is bigger than its relatedness to the souls of foreign cultures. So the probability that you will be reborn in your family is higher than that you reincarnate among persons you haven't been in contact with in former lives.

Or take the case of mammoths which separated from Asian elephants some million years ago. Let us assume that their common ancestors lived in a moderate climate and that the ancestors of the mammoths migrated to colder regions whereas the ancestors of the Asian elephants migrated to warmer regions. Both species adapted behaviour and instincts to the regions they lived in. So if we assume that instinctive behaviour is stored primarily in the soul and not in the genetic make-up, then it stands to reason to assume that the dead of both groups must have had a higher probability to be reborn in the same group. Otherwise the situation would be rather inefficient and chaotic. And that nature has a tendency toward order, is a fundamental premise of the theory I'm advocating.

"Both the potentialities of gene technology and its dangers are vastly overestimated. The possibility of reviving, by means of DNA, animals which became extinct a long time ago exists not even theoretically. The pychons which built up and animated these animals very probably evolved further and all together they are certainly not available any more. If a species becomes extinct, the souls can be born within related species. The more distant the new species is from the old, the more lives are needed to reach fertile age." (The Psychon Theory)

Thus a mammoth soul reborn as an elephant cannot have the same instincts as an elephant having lived for generations in this environment. The probability to survive in the new environment to fertile age is therefore smaller in the case of the mammoth soul.

The souls of mammals and birds are the souls of extinct species such as saurian.

Search also for "rats" in the text 'Darwinism refuted by adverse selection experiments'.

Originally Posted by Antranik1 View Post
That's like assuming that my great great grandfather (or some other ancestor) would have to actually be a previous incarnation of me.
Charles Darwin is quite probably the reincarnation of his grandfather Erasmus.

Cheers, Wolfgang
Old 16th August 2007, 01:03 PM   #40
plumjam
Banned

interesting stuff Wolfgang

one of the few posts i've seen on this forum that is actually offering something positive, fresh, and genuinely thought-provoking

good on yer
plumjam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology