ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th August 2007, 11:29 PM   #1
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

How could the South Park Episode not kill off 9/11 truth forever?

The same kind of impressionable kids who buy into 9/11 truth also cannot fail to obey their hero's Trey and Matt.

Being a great fan of the two geniuses, I'm hoping that they vacinated a lot of young kids from teh twoof.

But for someone like Dylan, to be ridiculed by South Park in his mere twenties, it must have really hurt. Did he perhaps think long and hard about chucking it all in?

Or was it more like a garden? You know when you are out in the garden, planting seeds, cutting grass, trimming trees, and suddenly it is 5 hours later and somebody taps you on the back, and you realise how dark it is?

Was the SP episode like that for Dylan and the followers?

Last edited by Undesired Walrus; 16th August 2007 at 11:42 PM.
Undesired Walrus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 11:32 PM   #2
uk_dave
Philosopher

'Truthers' just put it down to the South Park writers not being properly informed or actually covertly promoting the 'truth' movement by including a 'truther' website address.

ANYTHING to avoid having to admit that the South Park creators think 'truthers' are "retarded".
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 11:34 PM   #3
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
IIRC, they spun it as "Trey and Matt were really trying to pass along information under the cover of a hit piece. Look how many times they showed 911truth.org during the show." That despite the fact that 99% of the audience took it at face value and perceived the movement, correctly, as a bunch of retards.

ETA: Damn. Dave beat me to it.
Old 16th August 2007, 11:42 PM   #4
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

B..but thats retarded..
Undesired Walrus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 11:48 PM   #5
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

IIRC one LC poster even said that Matt and Trey always use Cartman to covertly promote ideas that they want to push without upsetting their network. See the SP boys are really bigoted nazi jerks, but the Comedy Channel suits won't realise it if Matt and Trey get Cartman to express their real sympathies.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2007, 11:51 PM   #6
Reality Believer
Muse

And the smoking gun ....

Google Video This video is not hosted by the ISF, the ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 17th August 2007, 12:04 AM   #7
The Doc
Curing Stupidity

Getting ripped on by Trey and Matt is my greatest fear. Those two can slam someone when they want to.
The Doc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 12:07 AM   #8
Miss Anthrope
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
Getting ripped on by Trey and Matt is my greatest fear. Those two can slam someone when they want to.

I have video proof Trey did not hate me for my butchering of Cannibal. Which will help me in my legal case should any South Park episode parody me one day.

I do agree, being slammed as a 20 something CT on South Park is the be all end all for your rep.

Last edited by Miss Anthrope; 17th August 2007 at 12:38 AM.
Miss Anthrope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 12:09 AM   #9
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
If you appear on SP, and you get off with a mear spanking, you are probably the coolest guy on Earth.

If you are ripped on like John Edward you are most likely going to stay in bed for a few years.

But... being called 'retarded' by Matt and Trey, that has to really, really hurt.
Old 17th August 2007, 12:13 AM   #10
Minadin
Master Poster

Well there's 4 of us, and you're retarded, so . . .
Minadin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 12:32 AM   #11
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
IIRC one LC poster even said that Matt and Trey always use Cartman to covertly promote ideas that they want to push without upsetting their network. See the SP boys are really bigoted nazi jerks, but the Comedy Channel suits won't realise it if Matt and Trey get Cartman to express their real sympathies.
That was not just one LC poster; it was Do-Over Dylan himself.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 01:13 AM   #12
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I know, it's been kind of quiet here lately. Been finishing up 9/10 and working on the script for the Final Cut.

Btw, in the slight off chance that Trey Parker and Matt Stone read this website, congratulations guys. Some saw that as a hit piece. I saw it as a subtle and careful way of delivering the facts without taking either side.

The episode was incredible, and I'd like to thank you. I don't need to go into detail as to why I think the show was on our side, I'll just say that, based on interviews with you two, Eric Cartman often serves as your personal mouthpiece. And every time a character brought up evidence, it was either silence or "Are you retarded?"

One even brought up the explosions at the base of the towers. This wasn't a poorly-researched hit piece. This was a calculated and brilliant way of flying under the radar.

But hey, that's just my two cents. Interpret it as you may.
Oh.dear.god.

You see? This is why people buy conspiracy theories.

Because they cant handle reality
Old 17th August 2007, 01:45 AM   #13
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
You know, I had a classmate like that in high school. He was a really irritating born-again geek who had somehow gotten the idea that since his mom and my mom work at the same place, we are best buddies. I could pile on the insults in the crudest, most obscene way a 17-year-old boy can, and he'd only laugh that strange, horselike laugh of his and tell me that I'm a funny guy.

It really takes a special kind of a person to get pooped on and think of it as a tacit endorsement.
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 02:21 AM   #14
Dog Town
Banned

IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!!
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 02:46 AM   #15
philkensebben
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Oh.......my........god........
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 02:58 AM   #16
brodski
Tea-Time toad

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Did anyone ever point out to Dylan that Trey parker and Mat Stone were speakers at TAM 5, an event run by the... JREF!!!ONE!1!!
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 03:04 AM   #17
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Dog Town View Post
IGNORANCE IS BLISS STRENGTH!!!
Just fixed that for you.
Old 17th August 2007, 04:59 AM   #18
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Just wondering what it would have taken to make the LC crowd realize that the South Park audience isn't laughing with them, it's laughing at them.
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 06:12 AM   #19
SpaceMonkeyZero
Graduate Poster

The great thing about that Soutpark episode is that when it first aired... The troother sites were touting it as "SEE SOUTH PARK CREATORS AGREE WITH US!" and were mirroring the entire show on their sites.

It speaks volumes about truthers when they can't even tell that they're being made fun of. Not only do the miss the forest, they miss the trees.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MP5NdomWIus
Cartman singing praises for 9/11 truth: (2:10 to 3:05)
"I can't base my logic on proof"
SpaceMonkeyZero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 06:26 AM   #20
SpaceMonkeyZero
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post

Matt and Trey have said that Cartman is the "jerk in all of us". That is hardly a covert belief in what Cartman does is what they believe in. But those in the troofer industrial complex loves to read between the lines over and over until they see what they want to believe.
SpaceMonkeyZero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 06:29 AM   #21
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Don't forget that later on some troothers posted an edited version of the episode with all the parts that make them look like idiots removed.

I think it was about 2 minutes long.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 06:35 AM   #22
SpaceMonkeyZero
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Don't forget that later on some troothers posted an edited version of the episode with all the parts that make them look like idiots removed.

Ah yes... censorship and rewriting of history is ok when the "troof" is on the line.
Old 17th August 2007, 06:50 AM   #23
Triterope
Muse

Originally Posted by Undesired Walrus View Post
If you appear on SP, and you get off with a mear spanking, you are probably the coolest guy on Earth.
That's the problem. They DID get off with a mere spanking.

Yes, it takes a special kind of deluded to think the episode was some kind of subversive positive review, but the episode wasn't nearly as vicious as it could/should have been. Compared to what, for example, John Edwards and David Blaine got, the Truthers got off very, very light. For one thing, there really WAS a conspiracy, making it look like people who allege conspiracies aren't completely out of their minds.

Here's what I said at the time: A better plot would have been for Cartman to investigate the conspiracy, instead of Stan and Kyle. Cartman meets the 9-11 Truth guy, they get to the White House and G.W. Bush tells them 'oh, we make that conspiracy stuff up ourselves to keep the one-fourth of Americans that are retards in line.' Then a priceless shot of 9-11 Truth Guy and Cartman looking angrily bewildered, as they realize that they're the retards. Then everyone laughs. Then they ask Bush if he's going to kill them, and Bush says "no, you 25-percenters do a great job attracting from the governmental incompetence that caused 9-11." Perhaps with a background character saying "yeah, it was pissed-off muslims, dumb-ass." Then the blackshirt guy announces that he just signed a book deal, and leaves to go do "research" for it, making the finger quotes himself. That would have put it all into better perspective.

And yes, the constant mention of 911truth.org probably did help that website. Just look at the Alexa data. There was a huge surge of visits right after the episode aired -- numbers the site hasn't come close to since. It's probably mostly people curious if it's a real website (haven't you ever looked up a website from a fictional TV show?) but driving people to that place is probably not a good thing.

Quote:
But... being called 'retarded' by Matt and Trey, that has to really, really hurt.
Right. The episode needed more of that, and less subplots that validated what the "retards" believe. At the end of the day, they tried to cram too much into one episode. This one called for a simple storyline: the subject is introduced, the town gets caught up in the hysteria, the kids investigate, they expose the small number of agenda-driven idiots orchestrating it all, Stan or Kyle makes a really insightful speech, and everyone admits they've been idiots.
Triterope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 06:50 AM   #24
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

and with a much longer list of websites tacked on at the end in a color/font intended to look they were part of the credits
Old 17th August 2007, 07:22 AM   #25
Viper Daimao
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
Oh.......my........god........
you mean,

Oh.....my.......science.........
Viper Daimao is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 12:56 PM   #26
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
It really takes a special kind of a person to get pooped on and think of it as a tacit endorsement.
Maybe Triumph the Comic Insult Dog should get in on the action. "Dylan's a great guy... for me to poop on!'
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 01:10 PM   #27
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

They didn't kill off scientology so why should this be any different? All the episode did was prove they're in on it.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 02:07 PM   #28
boloboffin

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Just wondering what it would have taken to make the LC crowd realize that the South Park audience isn't laughing with them, it's laughing at them.
If they didn't get it when President Bush forced a gun into a truther's mouth and blew his brains all over the Oval Office, they aren't going to get it.
boloboffin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 02:30 PM   #29
nicepants
Graduate Poster

...they called it "Second Edition"
nicepants is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 02:39 PM   #30
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Not falling for 9/11 troof because Southpark slammed it would be almost as silly as getting sucked in by the troofers in the first place.

If Southpark or Maddox are greater weapons against troofer insanity than the work of Popular Mechanics and Gravy then that isn't critical thinking either and our society is still in trouble.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 09:49 PM   #31
chippy
Muse

I don't know if I understand the spirit of this post. Walrus, are you trying to say that South Park SHOULD HAVE killed 9/11 truth?
chippy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 10:02 PM   #32
Dog Town
Banned

Originally Posted by chippy View Post
I don't know if I understand the spirit of this post. Walrus, are you trying to say that South Park SHOULD HAVE killed 9/11 truth?
In a weird way...yes! Twoofers are followers, that much is true, about them!
How %@*^'ed must it be, to have the one show, your friends at school bable on about? The show, that makes you a pariah! Tough days in junior high/ middle school!
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2007, 01:37 AM   #33
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chippy View Post
Why don't you just start calling me LUCUS?

It's getting tiring now, and my PM box feels the same way.
Old 19th August 2007, 05:39 AM   #34
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by brodski View Post
Did anyone ever point out to Dylan that Trey parker and Mat Stone were speakers at TAM 5, an event run by the... JREF!!!ONE!1!!

I don't think so. Somebody should do it...
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2007, 09:01 AM   #35
Civilized Worm
Graduate Poster

South Park ripped on atheism, and yet I am still an atheist. HOW CAN THAT BE!?
Civilized Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2007, 09:20 AM   #36
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civilized Worm View Post
South Park ripped on atheism, and yet I am still an atheist. HOW CAN THAT BE!?
Exactly! Why are you?
Old 19th August 2007, 09:55 AM   #37
Civilized Worm
Graduate Poster

Because the points they made were really stupid.

Am I alone in thinking that the last two series have been a real dissapointment?
Civilized Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2007, 10:29 AM   #38
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I thought the 'No single answer is ever the answer', and 'Maybe just by believing in God, God exists' were good lines to stop people getting too serious or carried away with Atheism.

And c'mon, how can 'I'm a monkey Richard, give this monkey what she wants' not tickle your funny bone?

But Worm, there is shame in NOT being an impressionable South Park watcher.
Old 19th August 2007, 10:31 AM   #39
Kage
Critical Thinker

I think that the two part episode about atheism wasn't "bashing" atheism. It was directed at the argument for atheism, made by Dawkins, about how atheism would reduce or end all wars.
Old 19th August 2007, 10:41 AM   #40
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I think that the two part episode about atheism wasn't "bashing" atheism. It was directed at the argument for atheism, made by Dawkins, about how atheism would reduce or end all wars.
'Their answer to the great question is flawed! Ours makes the most logical sense!'

To be fair really, if Martin Luther King was around today, or Trey and Matt back then, they would most likely be taking pot shots at the black civil rights movement.

Because they live in LA, they admit it is just fun to have a go at the people who only get bashed on O'Reilly and Faux News (Thus, they are not bashed by intelligence!). They are true democrats, as they keep EVERYONE in check.

Trey Parker believing in God must have surprised a few people though.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories