ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th August 2007, 01:10 AM   #1
ref
Master Poster

Kevin Ryan credits himself for the NIST report delay

Kevin Ryan seems to have brushed off his loss in court. He does his usual ranting at 9/11 blogger. This time he even credits himself for delaying the NIST report for 7 months.

http://www.911blogger.com/node/10744

Originally Posted by Kevin Ryan
When I challenged them on this, noting that steel softens at around 1000 °C, they started having closed door meetings and put their report off another seven months. Interestingly, the word “softened” does not appear anywhere in NIST’s final report.
He also states that around million people have been killed in the US wars after 9/11. I guess, when you have some figures wrong, you have them all wrong.

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

When you don't require any "facts" to begin with, who cares if you invent new ones?
Old 20th August 2007, 06:20 AM   #3
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ref View Post
He also states that around million people have been killed in the US wars after 9/11. I guess, when you have some figures wrong, you have them all wrong.
He is using , and exagerating numbers that include civilian deaths obviously.

The estimates I have seen elsewhere put the numbers in the hundreds of thousands and include deaths due to such things as lack of medical care, lack of clean water,disease, etc.

Ryan is rounding rather severely. His point would be better served had he simply said "hundreds of thousands", or "over a hundred thousand". Then again Ryan knows he is preaching to the converted and the uninformed.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 12:38 PM   #4
ref
Master Poster

Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
He is using , and exagerating numbers that include civilian deaths obviously.

The estimates I have seen elsewhere put the numbers in the hundreds of thousands and include deaths due to such things as lack of medical care, lack of clean water,disease, etc.

Ryan is rounding rather severely. His point would be better served had he simply said "hundreds of thousands", or "over a hundred thousand". Then again Ryan knows he is preaching to the converted and the uninformed.
I have seen them use 600 000 a lot, which to my understanding is not even close. But million is even farther. Of course, every single one is too much. But this is a point of exaggeration they very eagerly use. Has anyone ever seen a truther underestimating? I seriously doubt it.

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 12:42 PM   #5
T.A.M.
Keeper of the Kool-Vax

Sounds like Fetzer. Didn't Fetzer claim to be the factor behind some aspect of the mineta testimony thing?

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 12:42 PM   #6
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone ever seen a truther underestimating? I seriously doubt it.
"no steel building has ever collapsed due to fire"
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 12:48 PM   #7
ref
Master Poster

"no steel building has ever collapsed due to fire"
Ok ok you win

Old 20th August 2007, 01:01 PM   #8
uk_dave
Philosopher

Whatever happened to the proposed radio debate between ryan and gravy?

Or was it all just a dream.....
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 01:21 PM   #9
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by uk_dave View Post
Whatever happened to the proposed radio debate between ryan and gravy?

Or was it all just a dream.....
Ryan made up a bunch of 'tests' that Gravy had to pass before he would consider debating him. Its a classic conspiracy nutter tactic, a few Apollo hoaxer beleivers have tried it.

Its avoidance covering their cowardice.

Spectrum Scientifics - My store - Google it people!
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 01:22 PM   #10
Segnosaur
Philosopher

I have seen them use 600 000 a lot, which to my understanding is not even close. But million is even farther. Of course, every single one is too much. But this is a point of exaggeration they very eagerly use. Has anyone ever seen a truther underestimating? I seriously doubt it.
The 600,000 figure probably comes from a 2006 study done by John Hopkins that was published in the medical journal The Lancet. This study claimed that, upon doing surveys in Iraq, the number of people killed there was over 600,000. However, there were a number of problems with that particular study:
- The study used 'clusters', and there were relatively few clusters used in their study (compared to similar studies done by other groups)
- They did not ask for death certificates in all cases
- Their data appears far outside the estimates done by other groups.
- Many of the people who participated in the study were vocal anti-war critics. While that does not guarantee that they were biased, it does raise a few suspicions.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer
I cheered when then the WTC came down. - UndercoverElephant (a.k.a. JustGeoff)
I cheer Bin Laden... - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Bin Laden delivered justice - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Men shop for lingerie the way kids shop for breakfast cereal... they will buy something they know nothing about, just to get the prize inside. - Jeff Foxworthy
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 01:26 PM   #11
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The 600,000 figure probably comes from a 2006 study done by John Hopkins that was published in the medical journal The Lancet. This study claimed that, upon doing surveys in Iraq, the number of people killed there was over 600,000. However, there were a number of problems with that particular study:
- The study used 'clusters', and there were relatively few clusters used in their study (compared to similar studies done by other groups)
- Many of the people who participated in the study were vocal anti-war critics. While that does not guarantee that they were biased, it does raise a few suspicions.
Not exactly much surprise. The truthers often jump on initial or overexaggerated or just plain non-scientific numbers. Someday hopefully they will learn...
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 01:36 PM   #12
ref
Master Poster

Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 20th August 2007, 01:37 PM   #13
uk_dave
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Ryan made up a bunch of 'tests' that Gravy had to pass before he would consider debating him. Its a classic conspiracy nutter tactic, a few Apollo hoaxer beleivers have tried it.

Yeah I knew about the test. But did the radio station ever get back with a firm offer to host the debate? Or did it just all go silent when Gravy refused to jump through the hoops?
uk_dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 01:41 PM   #14
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by uk_dave View Post
Yeah I knew about the test. But did the radio station ever get back with a firm offer to host the debate? Or did it just all go silent when Gravy refused to jump through the hoops?
Last i heard Gravy had contacted or was contacting the host with his agreement. Ryan's hoops really have nothing to do with the debate as far as the host is concerned.
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 01:58 PM   #15
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ~enigma~ View Post
Last i heard Gravy had contacted or was contacting the host with his agreement. Ryan's hoops really have nothing to do with the debate as far as the host is concerned.
That is what I thought.
If Gravy agrees to debate but Ryan will not do so without conditions (the 'tests') then it will be Ryan who is refusing to debate, not Gravy.

However, wanna bet on how it would be spun on CT forums? They will have Ryan 'winning' a debate that never occured due to Ryan 'proving' that Gravy did not know what he was talking about despite there never having been a discussion.
Old 20th August 2007, 02:15 PM   #16
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by T.A.M. View Post
Sounds like Fetzer. Didn't Fetzer claim to be the factor behind some aspect of the mineta testimony thing?

TAM
Uncle Fetzer claimed on Alan Colmes' radio show that his appearance on Hannity & Colmes resulted in Mineta resigning from the administration:

Quote:
Fetzer: Yes. We have testimony from Norman Mineta to that effect, and did you know this, Alan, the night before, on Thursday night, I explained that on your show and the next morning he resigns.

Colmes: Well, are you suggesting that Norm Mineta resigned because of your appearance on Hannity and Colmes?

Fetzer: I’m suggesting Norman Mineta resigned because the administration didn’t want him in a public position where he’d have to respond to questions from reporters. By having him resign he becomes a private citizen and he’s no longer obligated to respond to public inquiries.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 02:24 PM   #17
maccy
Dalek-Reptilian Hybrid

The Iraq Body Count site estimates the deaths at between 70 and 76 thousand, approximately. Their response to the Lancet study is here.
maccy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 02:27 PM   #18
~enigma~
Banned

That is what I thought.
If Gravy agrees to debate but Ryan will not do so without conditions (the 'tests') then it will be Ryan who is refusing to debate, not Gravy.

However, wanna bet on how it would be spun on CT forums? They will have Ryan 'winning' a debate that never occured due to Ryan 'proving' that Gravy did not know what he was talking about despite there never having been a discussion.
True but even among truthers there are some that are beginning to recognize that type of spin and are refusing to believe it.
Old 20th August 2007, 04:22 PM   #19
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Kevin Ryan seems to have brushed off his loss in court. He does his usual ranting at 9/11 blogger. This time he even credits himself for delaying the NIST report for 7 months.

Originally Posted by Kevin Ryan
When I challenged them on this, noting that steel softens at around 1000 °C, they started having closed door meetings and put their report off another seven months. Interestingly, the word “softened” does not appear anywhere in NIST’s final report.

Err... Is the NIST's report on WTC7 out?

Answer: No.

What the hell is that goofball talking about?
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 05:37 PM   #20
JimBenArm
Based on a true story!

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Err... Is the NIST's report on WTC7 out?

Answer: No.

What the hell is that goofball talking about?
He got an advance copy for peer review, obviously.
Old 20th August 2007, 10:23 PM   #21
Max Photon
Graduate Poster

Finding your inner Kevin Ryan.

---

You guys sound like a bunch of 5th graders.

Kevin Ryan is not the point.

The point is that someone sees inconsistencies and is groping for an answer.

The inconsistencies are glaring.

UL tests of floor assemblies showed deflections of just a few inches.

NIST nudges the decimal place over, to 42" !!!

Why?

Because NIST desperately needs floors to sag if the pre-engineered narrative that sagging floors pulled perimeter panel columns inward is to survive (NIST FAQ #2).

This desperation is also readily apparent in NIST's needing to invoke the loss of fire protection, because this was needed to get the floors to sag.

Note that NIST couldn't get the towers to collapse in their models without such this arbitrary and unsubstantiated assumption.

(It is truly pathetic if you really let it in. It is also truly pathetic how many at JREF take the NIST reports are gospel.)

Furthermore, remember that NIST found conclusively that inward bowing columns initiated the collapse. (NIST FAQ #2)

What caused the columns to bow inward?

Visco-elastic creep.

What caused visco-elastic creep? (Bazant's model inputs 800 C steel temperatures - steel, not air. And don't forget heat transport.)

So Kevin is justified in trying to reconcile 4" vs 42" sagging floors, visco-elastic column behavior, metal fires, metal flows, building fires, imbecilic shotgun tests to prove the displacement of fire protection material, and other oddities.

What Kevin, you - everyone - is failing to understand is that thermite placed in perimeter panel box columns and spandrel splice gaps was used, not to cut the steel (as Ryan and Jones believe) but to heat the steel to 600-1000C to induce the visco-elastic creep.

In fact, NIST FAQ #12 kindly tells you that it takes 0.13 lbs of thermite to heat WTC steel to 700 C to substantially weaken the steel.

Though NIST may not have used the word "soften", Kevin might want to note that NIST does imply using heat-weakening as a mode of controlled-demolition in NIST FAQ #12. You just need to use Paul's Magic Filter.

So before you bash on Kevin, take a good look in the mirror.

You guys are completely and utterly lost - far more so than Kevin.

What's worse, you actually think you know what you're talking about.

Max

---
Max Photon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 11:22 PM   #22
boloboffin

Max --

These cows are small, but those cows are far away.

The UL tests were of shortened floor assemblies. There are actual photographs of the severe deformation of the floor assemblies on 9/11.

Kevin gropes for the answers -- a blindfolded man stumbling along a cliffside. Do not follow him.
boloboffin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2007, 08:38 AM   #23
Peephole
Master Poster

The study used 'clusters', and there were relatively few clusters used in their study (compared to similar studies done by other groups)
A similar study done in Kosovo used about the same amount of clusters.
They did not ask for death certificates in all cases
The families produced death certificates in 90 percent of all cases.
Their data appears far outside the estimates done by other groups.
Who rely on completely different methods. For example, I wouldn't consider IBC as accurate since they only count reported fatalities.

Who knows, maybe the death toll isn't that high. But I wouldn't dismiss this study too quickly. There simply isn't that much other data to rely on.
Peephole is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 05:54 PM   #24
peteweaver
Graduate Poster

Obviously Kevin Ryan knows nothing about the temperature at which steel begins to soften (which is 300 degrees C).
(source: http://www.mace.manchester.ac.uk/pro...el/default.htm )

Here's something else that Ryan won't have seen:
http://www.cablefireresearch.org/cabling/risk.asp

Quote:
Cabling in commercial buildings is frequently in close proximity to structural steel beams – which can lose structural integrity at fire temperatures as low as 800 degrees centigrade. Combustible cabling can burn at temperatures as high as 1,000 degrees centigrade — sufficient to cause the collapse of tall buildings under certain conditions.
Quote:
The average ten-story commercial building with 100 office workstations per floor can contain more than 1 million feet of combustible "exception" cabling in concealed spaces; equivalent to the fuel load of 1,500 gallons of gasoline.
Think how many plastic coated electrical cables, cat five cables, telephone cables, etc will have been present in the towers.

Last edited by peteweaver; 15th December 2007 at 05:56 PM.
peteweaver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 06:25 PM   #25
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Interesting find about the cables, Pete. I had raised this issue once before, and wasn't able to find that NIST accounted for cabling in their fuel load estimates. It's possible that they considered most of the cabling to be somewhat protected, and that it wouldn't have contributed greatly to peak heating rates. But it seems possible to me that many miles of cabling in the core and in the under-floor runs would have been exposed to fire by the aircraft impacts.

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2007, 07:17 PM   #26
Hyperviolet
Damnum Fatale

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

Can you blame him?
He knows Mark would waste him.

These 'tests' are the only excuse preventing that.
Old 16th December 2007, 03:42 AM   #27
peteweaver
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
Interesting find about the cables, Pete. I had raised this issue once before, and wasn't able to find that NIST accounted for cabling in their fuel load estimates. It's possible that they considered most of the cabling to be somewhat protected, and that it wouldn't have contributed greatly to peak heating rates. But it seems possible to me that many miles of cabling in the core and in the under-floor runs would have been exposed to fire by the aircraft impacts.
Found it in a random google search last night, it wasn't quite what i was looking for, but the link seemed interesting, and so I investigated further.

http://www.cablefireresearch.org/
peteweaver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 03:49 AM   #28
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

They followed a widely accepted protocol that has seen use of decades and has no past history of issues. If it has a problem then we have no meaningful estimates for deaths in say Darfur.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2007, 09:36 AM   #29
liverleef
Thinker

Max thats an interesting comment about placing thermite in perimeter panel box columns and spandrel splice gaps. How many box columns and splice gaps do you suspect would need thermite in order to induce the visco-elastic behavior you speak of. And how would the thermite be ignited? Just curious.

Last edited by liverleef; 16th December 2007 at 09:37 AM.
liverleef is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories