ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dylan avery , john schroeder

Old 27th August 2007, 01:50 PM   #1
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Arrow An Open Letter to John Schroeder, 9/11 firefighter

There were a couple of threads about this two weeks ago, which I didn't post to because I was too angry at Avery and his flunkies and I wanted to compose a proper response.

People sometimes ask me why, if the 9/11 deniers are so obviously wrong, I spend all this time on them.

This is why.

http://911stories.googlepages.com/anopenletter

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 01:55 PM   #2
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Wow, I missed those threads completely.

Looking very forward to reading in-depth after I get home from work. Thanks in advance for your honorable work Gravy.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 01:58 PM   #3
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Excellent stuff, Gravy.

I didn't know about the Rodriguez conversion to Islam and the Malaysian incident. Thanks for that - and for everything.
ConspiRaider is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:04 PM   #4
NYCEMT86
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
There were a couple of threads about this two weeks ago, which I didn't post to because I was too angry at Avery and his flunkies and I wanted to compose a proper response.

People sometimes ask me why, if the 9/11 deniers are so obviously wrong, I spend all this time on them.

This is why.

http://911stories.googlepages.com/anopenletter

I have briefly skimmed through it, I will go back to it later. Once again, from what I have read, it is very well put together. Your work will never go unnoticed or unappreciated.

"The most beautiful four words in the common language is: I told you so." - Vidal
NYCEMT86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:09 PM   #5
Oxigen
Critical Thinker

The fireman was in the building. Were you?

This sounds like incredulity on your part. Where is the evidence that what he said happened, didn't happen.

Evidence Please.
Oxigen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:13 PM   #6
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Originally Posted by Oxigen View Post

This sounds like incredulity on your part. Where is the evidence that what he said happened, didn't happen.

Evidence Please.
Is it possible that you did NOT click on the link in the OP by Gravy? Do that. Read. Repeat.
ConspiRaider is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:13 PM   #7
NYCEMT86
Graduate Poster

Evidence Please.

I wasn't there, but I know a lot of people there. It's all about eyewitness reports. Maybe you should actually read the site rather than bashing Gravy. The evidence you ask for is in that very site. Do your own research. Maybe email a couple firefighters find out for yourself.

"The most beautiful four words in the common language is: I told you so." - Vidal
NYCEMT86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Was he the only fireman in the building? Where's the supporting testimony?

That's one of the most disgusting things about twoofers. "Oh, so an ambulance driver/fireman/maintainence worker is lying?" Never mind that to support your stupid theories, EVERY ONE OF THE REST OF THEM HAS TO BE LYING.

Save your righteous indignation for those dumb enough to fall for it.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:16 PM   #9
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Gravy, I had trouble opening the "loose change creaters speak" pdf file.

My copy of acrobat says that the file is corrupted.
Alferd_Packer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:17 PM   #10
Oxigen
Critical Thinker

Read one or two paragraphs. Doesn't impress me.
Oxigen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:18 PM   #11
NYCEMT86
Graduate Poster

Maybe you should read the WHOLE thing.

Is this how the whole TM works? Only read a paragraph or two and if you aren't impressed than its *****? If you can refute anything on this website than I will give you a cookie.

Last edited by chillzero; 28th August 2007 at 04:24 AM. Reason: breach of profanity censor
Old 27th August 2007, 02:19 PM   #12
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Of course not, it isn't on youtube.
Old 27th August 2007, 02:20 PM   #13
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

That doesn't surprise me.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:20 PM   #14
Abbyas
Muse

I think this has gone too far.

Look, I'm not saying that Mark doesn't do great research. Or that his goals are anything other than honorable.

But we have to think long term with this one.

If our goals are to open the eyes of those that might want to give Dylan Avery or Jim Fetzer money, then this is off base. By approaching this guy and telling him that we will help him make sense of his experiences, we come off as extremely condescending. Regardless of whether you are right Mark, to tell someone that was there (regardless of who's manipulating him) that you can help him make sense of that day, is too much.

Again, I'm not saying you're not right, but you are in danger of giving these guys ammunition. Last thing we want to do is make it look like everyone who's against these guys are just people who think they are smarter than everyone else.

I think this may hurt more than it helps.

Now, if I was a truther, because I disagree with Mark, I would call him Disinfo. So here we go: Mark's on Alex Jones payroll! He's working for the other side!!!!
Abbyas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:22 PM   #15
Pardalis
Banned

It's the first time I read a "dear John" letter...

Kidding aside, I've read a couple of pages and I hope M. Schroeder will be open to what you are saying.
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:23 PM   #16
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by Abbyas View Post
Now, if I was a truther, because I disagree with Mark, I would call him Disinfo.
What do you think they call him now?
Old 27th August 2007, 02:23 PM   #17
Unsecured Coins
Hoku-maniac

care to refute anything then?
Unsecured Coins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:24 PM   #18
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by Alferd_Packer View Post
Gravy, I had trouble opening the "loose change creaters speak" pdf file.

My copy of acrobat says that the file is corrupted.
Huh. Opens for me in Acrobat and other software, and in the browser.

Last edited by Gravy; 27th August 2007 at 02:28 PM.
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:24 PM   #19
Abbyas
Muse

No, just mean, that were I a conspiracy nut, I would assume that since I disagree with Mark, that he must be paid off. Bad joke.
Abbyas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:26 PM   #20
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Last week the History Channel Documentary and this week a thorough smackdown of the Shroeder interview. The Truthers may start getting the Monday Morning Blues if this keeps up!

Terrific job as always. But you're wrong about them never getting a single major fact about 9-11; they always get the date right! (Joke stolen from a total Republican shill).

I'll post on this once I've finished reading the whole thing and add it to the top post as well. Nobody from the 9-11 Denial Movement is going to debate you, ever again. As Buckley said, "Why does the bologna avoid the grinder?" (Quote stolen from Pomeroo).
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:26 PM   #21
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Then why are you wasting your valuable time here?

Get out there and INVESTIGATE man!
Alferd_Packer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 02:27 PM   #22
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

I think this has gone too far.

Look, I'm not saying that Mark doesn't do great research. Or that his goals are anything other than honorable.

But we have to think long term with this one.

If our goals are to open the eyes of those that might want to give Dylan Avery or Jim Fetzer money, then this is off base. By approaching this guy and telling him that we will help him make sense of his experiences, we come off as extremely condescending. Regardless of whether you are right Mark, to tell someone that was there (regardless of who's manipulating him) that you can help him make sense of that day, is too much.

Again, I'm not saying you're not right, but you are in danger of giving these guys ammunition. Last thing we want to do is make it look like everyone who's against these guys are just people who think they are smarter than everyone else.

I think this may hurt more than it helps.

Now, if I was a truther, because I disagree with Mark, I would call him Disinfo. So here we go: Mark's on Alex Jones payroll! He's working for the other side!!!!
Your comments are always welcome, but I'd appreciate them more if they came after you read my work.

Old 27th August 2007, 02:28 PM   #23
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Hi oxigen, You seem to be utterly unaware that your statement quoted above says nothing at all about Gravy's work, and a great deal about you -- none of it flattering.
Old 27th August 2007, 02:29 PM   #24
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Huh. Opens for me in Acrobat and other software, and in the browser.
Opens fine for me, and this computer often has trouble with pdf documents.
Old 27th August 2007, 02:29 PM   #25
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

Which is it? ONE or TWO? Big difference between those numbers. Precision counts.

1. Determine whether you read ONE or TWO paragraphs.
2. Read a helluva lot more than that.
3. Be impressed.
Old 27th August 2007, 02:31 PM   #26
Oxigen
Critical Thinker

Had a relative involved in travelling to GZ regarding charity work with police and firefighters in 2001. According to them they are very skeptical.
Old 27th August 2007, 02:33 PM   #27
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Had a relative involved in travelling to GZ regarding charity work with police and firefighters in 2001. According to them they are very skeptical.
In 2001 we didn't have a lot of answers. At the time every skeptic had every reason to be skeptical.
Old 27th August 2007, 02:34 PM   #28
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

So are we. Skepticism based on a solid foundation is generally regarded as a good thing.

Who was skeptical? The relative? The police and firefighters? Specifically what were "they" skeptical about?
Old 27th August 2007, 02:34 PM   #29
Abbyas
Muse

Mark, I've read the introduction and the parts where you address what he has said, that's more as your addressee will. That's my point.

I would assume that your goal here is to help him understand how he's being taken advantage of. In which case, you've got to show him more respect. Again, I'm not saying that you don't respect him, but try to take the position of someone "on the other side" reading it.

First, it's an open letter. Instead of writing directly to him. I think you should go that route first. While the paper is great in terms of facts and manipulated inaccuracies, as soon as you tell him that you'll help him make sense of that day, he will be turned off. As will anyone else reading it that doesn't understand.

Secondly, you've got to give him props immediately for his work that day. Right now, (not saying this is how you feel), it looks like you, a non-emergency worker, are telling someone who was there, what he saw. You have more respect and intelligence than how that comes across. For this is exactly why I got angry at truthers at GZ, they were telling firefighters that what they saw was not what they saw (and the lying bit, etc, etc).

My goal in writing this note is not to acheive "pwnage", just I'm afraid that sometimes we create more truthers than we dissuage.
Old 27th August 2007, 02:34 PM   #30
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Oxigen, you're welcome to address my work. I believe this is an important story. Please don't troll.

Old 27th August 2007, 02:34 PM   #31
NYCEMT86
Graduate Poster

Can you name names? Or is this going to be one of those hearsay things?

Can you please give me the name of this charity and your title within this charity? This way I can verify if this may be true.

Last edited by NYCEMT86; 27th August 2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 27th August 2007, 02:46 PM   #32
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
A simply wonderful piece of work, as usual, Gravy. I hope that it is received in the spirit in which it is intended.
Old 27th August 2007, 02:51 PM   #33
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Mark, I've read the introduction and the parts where you address what he has said, that's more as your addressee will. That's my point.

I would assume that your goal here is to help him understand how he's being taken advantage of. In which case, you've got to show him more respect. Again, I'm not saying that you don't respect him, but try to take the position of someone "on the other side" reading it.
My main goal is to help him and others like him understand what happened that day, and that their confusion is shared by many. The part about Schroeder being used by selfish, ignorant creeps is important, but a distant second.

Quote:
First, it's an open letter. Instead of writing directly to him. I think you should go that route first.
I would have if I had been able to get in touch with him. I'll keep trying. He and Avery et. al. made a public case, so I don't have a big problem doing the same.
Quote:
While the paper is great in terms of facts and manipulated inaccuracies, as soon as you tell him that you'll help him make sense of that day, he will be turned off. As will anyone else reading it that doesn't understand.
I don't make that assumption.
Quote:
Secondly, you've got to give him props immediately for his work that day.
Good idea. I do thank him right off for serving, but not specifically for that day.
Quote:
Right now, (not saying this is how you feel), it looks like you, a non-emergency worker, are telling someone who was there, what he saw.
I am, and I use the accounts of the people who were with him to back that up.

Quote:
You have more respect and intelligence than how that comes across. For this is exactly why I got angry at truthers at GZ, they were telling firefighters that what they saw was not what they saw (and the lying bit, etc, etc).
The difference is that I do my research. I think we can all agree that the north tower did not fall before the south.

Quote:
My goal in writing this note is not to acheive "pwnage", just I'm afraid that sometimes we create more truthers than we dissuage.
Again, I don't make that assumption. Are most truthers unlikely to read what I wrote? Sure. That's a symptom of them being truthers, not a cause. I speak directly, both from the heart and with facts, and will continue to do so.

By the way, I've heard from quite a few truthers who don't agree with me about 9/11 but who think my Rodriguez paper is great. This paper is quite different, since Schroeder isn't self-aggrandizing. He's just very confused, which he tells us again and again.

Old 27th August 2007, 02:52 PM   #34
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
A simply wonderful piece of work, as usual, Gravy. I hope that it is received in the spirit in which it is intended.
Agreed. While reading I can actually sense the trepidation/tightrope walking you went through to not sound as though you were lecturing or suggesting any dishonesty on his part.

It's as sensitive a topic for a letter I as I could ever imagine writing, and your sensitivity is what will hopefully (for his sake, not ours) lead him to the truth, rather than the "truth."

I want to hug you right now. Is that wrong?
Old 27th August 2007, 02:59 PM   #35
Donal
Illuminator

I agree with Abby about the how you may come off, Mark.

Its one thing to say here are the answers to your questions, by the way, Dylan and Co. are playing you for a fool.

Its a different thing to say you are going to help him make sense of things. It kind of sounds like you are trying to make up his mind for him.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 03:04 PM   #36
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I agree with Abby about the how you may come off, Mark.

Its one thing to say here are the answers to your questions, by the way, Dylan and Co. are playing you for a fool.

Its a different thing to say you are going to help him make sense of things. It kind of sounds like you are trying to make up his mind for him.
I appreciate your criticism, but I very much want him to believe that the south tower fell while he was in the north, because that's what happened, and it's essential to him understanding much of what he experienced after that event. That's not open for debate.

Old 27th August 2007, 03:09 PM   #37
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Originally Posted by Drudgewire View Post
Agreed. While reading I can actually sense the trepidation/tightrope walking you went through to not sound as though you were lecturing or suggesting any dishonesty on his part.

It's as sensitive a topic for a letter I as I could ever imagine writing, and your sensitivity is what will hopefully (for his sake, not ours) lead him to the truth, rather than the "truth."
There is definitely a lecture in there, but that's directed towards Avery and co, who have hit a new low, IMO.

Quote:
I want to hug you right now. Is that wrong?
We'll do the A-frame and see how it goes from there.

Old 27th August 2007, 03:11 PM   #38
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

There is definitely a lecture in there, but that's directed towards Avery and co, who have hit a new low, IMO.
"Talking down to" was the term I was looking for rather than "lecturing."
Old 27th August 2007, 03:12 PM   #39
A W Smith
Philosopher

RIF or why "reading is fundamental"

So you cannot even remember how many paragraphs you read. Could be one. But maybe two? And that is the extent of your research into the article and summary judgement? You sound just like Erring Cassity.
Galileo:The jury said I didn't have any mental defects or diseases, they declared me 100% sane. Has a jury ever declared you sane?
Don’t get me lol’n off my chesterfield dude.

Last edited by A W Smith; 27th August 2007 at 03:42 PM.
A W Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2007, 03:21 PM   #40
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

the truth is not a happy time for some, and not to be found by Dylan
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories