ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:21 AM   #1
ref
Master Poster

Chief of Department FDNY (ret.) Daniel Nigro Addresses WTC 7 Conspiracy Theories

This is a message from Chief of Department (ret.) Daniel Nigro, addressing the conspiracy theories surrounding the collapse of WTC7. Thank you very much for this statement, Mr. Nigro. The work you and your colleagues did that day will never be forgotten. I have been in contact with him, and he gave me the permission to publish this. I have confirmed with our moderator Lisa Simpson, that this message really is from him.

Got to my page
http://911guide.googlepages.com/danielnigro for this message and his bio. Here is the message part:

Regarding WTC 7: The long-awaited US Government NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) report on the collapse of WTC 7 is due to be published at the end of this year (although it has been delayed already a few times [ adding fuel to the conspiracy theorists fires!]). That report should explain the cause and mechanics of the collapse in great detail. Early on the afternoon of September 11th 2001, following the collapse of WTC 1 & 2, I feared a collapse of WTC 7 (as did many on my staff).

The reasons are as follows:

1 - Although prior to that day high-rise structures had never collapsed, The collapse of WTC 1 & 2 showed that certain high-rise structures subjected to damage from impact and from fire will collapse.
2. The collapse of WTC 1 damaged portions of the lower floors of WTC 7.
3. WTC 7, we knew, was built on a small number of large columns providing an open Atrium on the lower levels.
4. numerous fires on many floors of WTC 7 burned without sufficient water supply to attack them.

For these reasons I made the decision (without consulting the owner, the mayor or anyone else - as ranking fire officer, that decision was my responsibility) to clear a collapse zone surrounding the building and to stop all activity within that zone. Approximately three hours after that order was given, WTC 7 collapsed.

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit.

Regards, Dan Nigro
Chief of Department FDNY (retired)

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro

Last edited by chillzero; 23rd September 2007 at 09:09 AM. Reason: sorry - error - will reverse infraction
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:25 AM   #2
mortimer
NWO Janitor

Nigro states that he made the decision to "pull" without consulting Silverstein. Silverstein states otherwise. Unfortunately, that probably will fuel the CTers.
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

Thanks, Ref.

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Trigood
Muse

Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Nigro states that he made the decision to "pull" without consulting Silverstein. Silverstein states otherwise. Unfortunately, that probably will fuel the CTers.
Gee, and that would be the first time an important businessman ever overstated his part in dealing with an emergency situation.

Thanks, ref, for helping put the nail in the WTC7 conspiracy coffin.
Many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling with the mistaken belief that you cannot bear the pain. But you have already borne the pain. What you have not done is feel all you are beyond that pain. - Kahlil Gibran
Trigood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Good Lt
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Well, that just refers to Nigro making the decision. He talked to Silverstein afterwards with his mind already made up about pulling back, and letting Silverstein know was just a courtesy, considering it was his building.

At least, that's how I"m reading it. But you're probably right about the Troofer clowns.
Good Lt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:35 AM   #6
Lisa Simpson

Mod WarningRef asked me to confirm that the email came from Daniel Nigro's personal email address, and I have done so. The email is from Daniel Nigro.
Posted By:Lisa Simpson
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Good Lt View Post
Well, that just refers to Nigro making the decision. He talked to Silverstein afterwards with his mind already made up about pulling back, and letting Silverstein know was just a courtesy, considering it was his building.

At least, that's how I"m reading it. But you're probably right about the Troofer clowns.

Nigro did not rise to his level in the department without learning how to make people feel like they had a hand in making a decision that has already been made.
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Kryptos
Critical Thinker

Thank your Ref and thank you Chief Nigro!

Good to hear what he has to say on the matter.
Kryptos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:56 AM   #9
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

exactly Alferd. A fireman at his rank is also partial politician/negotiator.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:41 AM   #10
njslim
Graduate Poster

Would it be possible to post this elsewhere?
njslim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 01:16 PM   #11
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Cue CTers squawking he was paid off in 5... 4... 3... 2...
Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 01:54 PM   #12
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Congratulations Ref.

I'm sure it is most appreciated.
Undesired Walrus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 02:56 PM   #13
pomeroo
Banned

Great work, Ref!

Of course, you understand that Nigro is in on it.

Everyone is.
pomeroo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:22 PM   #14
ref
Master Poster

Thanks for your great feedback. It's been awfully quiet on the truther front. Someone posted the link to his statement on LCF, thus far it has zero responses.

Let me also add some context into this.

During our exchange Chief Daniel Nigro has been very kind. He gladly addressed the issues, and he even provided his own biography and the photo for the story. I am very thankful.

Let me also stress the importance of his last sentence:

"Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit."

I described him the theories surrounding WTC 7. I told him about the demolition and explosive device theories. I told him about the pull - controversy, I even talked about Loose Change.

This final sentence takes care of all that in a very simple way. He believes none of that stuff. He believes no explosive devices were present, nor was there any demolition. Trust me, he would know if there was something to suspect. There isn't. It's time everyone understood that. It's time everyone understood, that this man was present, he saw and experienced what happened, he made the important decisions, and he sees no conspiracy. The only way people can get around this, is by saying he is lying or in on it. I don't think anyone wants to do that. This is how it is.

And njslim, I don't quite undestand what you mean. You can link to this post, or to my page at any time. You can also quote the message.

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro

Last edited by ref; 23rd September 2007 at 08:25 PM.
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:28 PM   #15
ref
Master Poster

Could someone with access to LCF maybe bump this thread, and ask for a Dylan response? I would like to know what he has to say.

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Loose_Ch...howtopic=16232

I don't know what he could say, but I'm interested anyway.

Old 23rd September 2007, 09:38 PM   #16
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Nice work, ref. Very nice, indeed.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:46 PM   #17
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Good work, Ref. Truly another great big ol' nail in the movement coffin.

(Guys, if you're bumping threads at LCF, remember that it's a school night, please! Won't someone think of the children?)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:02 PM   #18
ref
Master Poster

Thanks.

It's amusing to see the continuing denial among the true conspiracy believers.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread304754/pg1

Nothing will convince the hard core truthers.

Old 23rd September 2007, 10:19 PM   #19
OldTigerCub
Striped Shapeshifting Reptoid

All I can say is
Excellent information, REF!

ETA: I tried to read and follow the thread on the troother board....I gave up before my brain melted down from trying to figure out stupid comments made about Chief Nigro's statements.

Last edited by OldTigerCub; 23rd September 2007 at 10:25 PM.
OldTigerCub is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2007, 11:17 PM   #20
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Chief Nigro succinctly captures the WTC7 trap that Conspiracy Theorists are doomed to fall into. For many, WTC7 was the key element that convinced them of a conspiracy in the first place. But it is simply not possible for WTC7 to have been deliberately demolished without the active involvement of the FDNY under Chief Nigro.

In simple terms, either there is no conspiracy, or the Fire Department of New York sacrificed 343 of their own people (including the head of department) to facilitate the goals of the conspirators.

There is no alternative explanation, and obviously in the above case, one scenario is sensible and logical, and the other is utterly ridiculously absurd.

-Gumboot

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2007, 03:31 AM   #21
njslim
Graduate Poster

Quote:
It's amusing to see the continuing denial among the true conspiracy believers.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread304754/pg1
REF:

Been over at ABOVE TOP SECRET trying to whack some of the Truther cockroaches
scurrying around. Using the material posted by GRAVY (praise be his name) concerning
WTC 7 and the events leading up to the collapse.

Like you said Truthers will ignore anything which doesn't feed into their particular fantasy
njslim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2007, 03:45 AM   #22
ref
Master Poster

Well, the LCF thread has finally some life. But the responses are unbelievable. Or, should I say, just as expected.

Zlaya has serious reading comprehension problems:

Originally Posted by Zlaya
As a fire chief i would be ashamed of myself for not killing that small fire that was burning in there, and therefore saving all those Enron, WorldCom documents that were 'unfortunately' lost.
I think he totally missed point 4. of Chief Nigro's statement, that said:
"numerous fires on many floors of WTC 7 burned without sufficient water supply to attack them"

I would be ashamed of myself if I made comments like Zlaya.

Discobee adds some of his own wisdom:

Originally Posted by Discobee
That he only expresses 'belief' that the conspiracy theories are false indicates that he knows this and is keeping his options open - "... well, that was just my opinion - what would I know about covert operations ..."
Denial at it's highest form.

ETA: The worst comment thus far is from Above Top Secret -forum. Someone called Chief Nigro a hired geek. Sad. Very Sad indeed.

Last edited by ref; 24th September 2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old 24th September 2007, 04:27 AM   #23
MarkyX
Master Poster

These people really, really, really, really, really want 9/11 to be an inside job.

Truth seekers, or agenda-based cult? We report, you decide (lol faux)
Old 24th September 2007, 05:05 AM   #24
Hyperviolet
Damnum Fatale

Just caught this thread. Very nice work, Ref.

Your website is becoming quite the debunking resource. Keep it up.

Old 24th September 2007, 05:24 AM   #25
SpaceMonkeyZero
Graduate Poster

I vote Cult.

They may have been "truth seekers" at one time. But once the proof was shown, the sane ones quietly went on with life, and those who remain are now full fledged cultists.
"NOBODY expects the Truther Movement! Our chief weapon is speculation, speculation and conjecture, conjecture and speculation. Our two weapons are conjecture and speculation, and youtube videos. Our *three* weapons are conjecture, speculation, and youtube videos, and an almost fanatical devotion to the "Truth". Our *four*. No. *Amongst* our weapons. Amongst our weaponry, are such elements as conjecture, speculation."
SpaceMonkeyZero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2007, 07:01 PM   #26
Reality Believer
Muse

Bump to keep this on the front page. Good work REF!
Old 24th September 2007, 07:14 PM   #27
NYCEMT86
Graduate Poster

Thats sick, how dare these people slander Chief Nigro. Where the **** were they that day? How many of these sick ****s had to suppress their feelings so they could just do their job? How many friends and family members did these people lose?

What happened to "We support all the rescue workers and first responders"?

I am sorry, I know this sounds very emotional and it is. Just reading statement that set me off.

"The most beautiful four words in the common language is: I told you so." - Vidal
NYCEMT86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2007, 08:06 PM   #28
maxpower1227
Master Poster

That abovetopsecret thread was just depressing. So many deranged loons in one place.

Note to conspiracy morons: using nicknames for George Bush such as "shrub", "sprout", "Bushitler", "Emperor Bush", "Chimpy McHitlerburton", etc, only only give the appearance of a deranged nutcase who is motivated by an extremely partisan political agenda, thus making them susceptible to even the most ridiculous conspiracy theories. They give you no credibility at all and make you look like a child.
maxpower1227 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2007, 08:13 PM   #29
Magenta
Graduate Poster

They're scraping the bottom of the barrel over at LCF. This from the poster called look-up:

Quote:
the skeptics have finally backed themselves into a corner. for good this time.

It's just a flesh wound!
Magenta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2007, 08:28 PM   #30
Hamradioguy
Pyrrhonist

Couldn't agree with you more NYCEMT86. Back when Rosie O'Donnell started on her "pull it" "Controlled demolition" "bombs in WTC7" rant I emailed her asking if Silverstein's "pull it" comment to FDNY commanders were evidence that FDNY personnel were involved with blowing up WTC7. Man oh man- you should have seen her almost instant back pedal reply to THAT email! Of course many of these Truthers aren't as smart as Rosie. "hired geek" indeed. Really really disgusting......
Hamradioguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2007, 10:30 PM   #31
ref
Master Poster

Some at LCF have now called him (Chief Nigro) a liar. They still don't understand, that explosions are not bombs. Only one moderator has given his view of this. It was IVXX, who said either Silverstein or Nigro is lying. Why can't people understand, that it's the fire chief's responsibility, as he himself says, to make that kind of decisions. The owners don't decide when to evacuate their building. Is it hard to understand, that Silverstein had no say in that decision, but he was informed about the decision. Even Silverstein himself says they made the decision. That's exactly what Chief Nigro says. He did not consult Silverstein whether to make that decision or not. He made it himself. Please, truthers who read this, understand this.

I wonder how Dylan feels when his board members slander the Chief this way. I also hope they undestand, that I still am going to be in contact with him. He is a very kind person. He also lost his dear friend in Chief Ganci along with 342 other firemen, who were like brothers. Those calling him a liar are insane. Really.

Old 24th September 2007, 11:29 PM   #32
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Enigma or anyone intimately familiar with LCF:

Is this the same Zlaya as our new dewy-eyed and innocent member at JREF?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2007, 11:34 PM   #33
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Enigma or anyone intimately familiar with LCF:

Is this the same Zlaya as our new dewy-eyed and innocent member at JREF?
Just from the screenname I'd guess it was but I am not familiar with her posts here.
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2007, 11:45 PM   #34
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation

Originally Posted by Hyperviolet View Post
Just caught this thread. Very nice work, Ref.

Your website is becoming quite the debunking resource. Keep it up.

Happy birthday Hyperviolet (although it is probably too late where you are)!
Old 25th September 2007, 12:37 AM   #35
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Why do die-hard twoofers so dislike the idea of actual heroes walking among us? Is it that their own lives are so base and miserable and bereft of merit? I posted a link to Chief Nigro's comments at the Randi Rhodes Show message board. The coimments that the twoofers made was about what you would expect of a low-life trying to hijack a board for his own purposes.

http://forums.therandirhodesshow.com...owtopic=119304
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2007, 03:08 AM   #36
Hyperviolet
Damnum Fatale

Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
Happy birthday Hyperviolet (although it is probably too late where you are)!
Thanks, Hokulele!

The hangover is unbearable lol.
Old 25th September 2007, 09:28 AM   #37
CHF
Illuminator

Well done Ref!

Insisting that WTC7 was a demolition without FDNY involvement just got a whole lot harder for the twoofers.

This guy will no doubt be happy that Nigro cleared things up...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by CHF; 25th September 2007 at 09:31 AM.
CHF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2007, 04:25 PM   #38
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Why do die-hard twoofers so dislike the idea of actual heroes walking among us? Is it that their own lives are so base and miserable and bereft of merit? I posted a link to Chief Nigro's comments at the Randi Rhodes Show message board. The coimments that the twoofers made was about what you would expect of a low-life trying to hijack a board for his own purposes.

http://forums.therandirhodesshow.com...owtopic=119304

It's not that they don't believe there are real heroes out there; it's just that they think "real heroes" don't "lie for the government". Consequently, the only "real heroes" are those that are on their side.

I have to add that this in stark contrast to many of "us". Even though William Rodriguez is a truther[-for-money], we recognize that what he did on 9/11 was pretty heroic.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 25th September 2007 at 04:32 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2007, 04:30 PM   #39
Pardalis
Banned

Originally Posted by M. Nigro View Post
Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit.
That's way too polite.
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2007, 06:16 PM   #40
Crungy
Critical Thinker

That is a nice clear and succinct email by Chief Nigro. Thanks for sharing that with us Ref. Now I await the responses by the WTC7 CT crowd, such as Swing and TerryUK.
Crungy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories