ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th October 2007, 08:58 AM   #1
h0mesch00led
Student

Lisa Williams: Life among the dead

Has anyone seen this show on Lifetime? Does anyone know of her? I am trying to seek more information about her. I've seen one episode and I was blown away...
h0mesch00led is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2007, 09:05 AM   #2
DouglasL
Scholar

I watched one show. Lisa Williams is a complete fraud. She just uses "cold reading" to work her scam.
DouglasL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2007, 08:38 AM   #3
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I just downloaded the show on iTunes (it was free) to watch on my new Ipod purchased today.

I haven't seen much American TV in years so I'm kind of TV starved now. I don't even have to watch to know she's a fraud. I could figure that out from the blurb. Also downloaded America's Psychic Challenge.
Old 9th October 2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by h0mesch00led View Post
Has anyone seen this show on Lifetime? Does anyone know of her? I am trying to seek more information about her. I've seen one episode and I was blown away...
When you say blown away, you don't mean like you believe it, do you?
Old 9th October 2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I watched half of the show this morning on my train to work before deciding I had better uses for my time. Cold reading is really pretty boring to watch.

Also, the editing process likely cut out all her misses and emphasised the hits.
Whole readings that didn't go well could have been cut, as well as portions of the readings that worked.

Anyway, why would dead spirits communicate in such a vague way? Why wouldn't they say exactly who they are and something unmistakably specific?
Old 10th October 2007, 11:19 PM   #6
Tim4848
Muse

That is a good question, did they edit her mistakes and after so many tries, she got the name right. How do you find out such information?
Tim4848 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2007, 07:49 AM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tim4848 View Post
That is a good question, did they edit her mistakes and after so many tries, she got the name right. How do you find out such information?
To me it's common sense that they edited it to make it look as convincing as possible by picking and choosing footage. They want to maximize ratings, and to do that they have to convince veiwers that she's really communicating with dead people. How could it be otherwise? Like I said, cold reading is pretty boring to watch if you know what is really happening.
Old 11th October 2007, 09:25 AM   #8
DouglasL
Scholar

She just kept guessing names until she got a name the other person recognized. Then you edit out all of the wrong guesses. The other person (the one she is cold reading) will say something to the effect of "How did you know that name?" and believes Lisa is talking to their dead relative. The real answer is Lisa just guessed and kept guessing until she got a "hit".
DouglasL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2007, 09:38 AM   #9
FramerDave
Muse

I'm not inclined to waste my time watching the show, but I've seen quite a few ads for it whilst watching Will and Grace. The one that really galled me I saw this morning.

Against a background of old pictures of royalty and pomp the voiceover went something like: "During the early years of Queen Elizabeth's (II) reign, so-and-so guided her through the transition after her coronation while channeling the spirit of Queen Victoria. Now her granddaughter Lisa Williams blah blah blah..."

I wonder if Buckingham Palace might have any comment on this.
FramerDave is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2007, 01:34 PM   #10
FramerDave
Muse

Ok, this is bugging me. I'd really like to see if I could get some sort of official reply as to the claims that she was a confidant and advisor to Queen Elizabeth II. I've checked the official website of the monarchy for contact information.

I could email Her Majesty directly, but I don't care to be so presumptuous. I'm quite sure it would be answered by and aide (if at all) but something tells me it would fall between the cracks just due to sheer volume.

The contacts for the Press Office, Public Relations and the Archivist are all by telephone or snail mail. I don't care to spend a fortune on international calls or wait forever for mail. Anyone have contacts or ideas I haven't thought of?
FramerDave is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2007, 05:49 PM   #11
Tim4848
Muse

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
To me it's common sense that they edited it to make it look as convincing as possible by picking and choosing footage. They want to maximize ratings, and to do that they have to convince veiwers that she's really communicating with dead people. How could it be otherwise? Like I said, cold reading is pretty boring to watch if you know what is really happening.
I don't like to assume when it comes to other people talents, but I do know her new season comes on tonight.

http://www.lifetimetv.com/on-tv/shows/lisa-williams
Tim4848 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2007, 09:54 AM   #12
shalomsteph
Critical Thinker

Thanks for the heads up on the free iTunes download. I am downloading it now and will watch when I am bored with the Britney gossip, I guess. (She is below Britney on my rubbish bin, but above Amy Winehouse)
Old 13th October 2007, 11:57 AM   #13
lister
Thinker

Never heard of Lisa Williams, but I did get this email from PalTalk yesterday:

Quote:
Dear Paltalker,

Join us every Friday at 10pm EDT for a live weekly chat with Lifetime Television's Lisa Williams, a medium and clairvoyant who will be speaking with the dead and taking your live questions!

Lisa Williams is the star of the Lifetime Television show "Lisa Williams: Life Among the Dead" which airs on Lifetime Television every Friday at 9pm.

Room: Lifetime Presents Lisa Williams
Date: Every Friday starting October 12th
Time: 10:00pm EDT/7:00pm PST

Lisa Williams is a gifted Medium and Clairvoyant. She has the ability to communicate with loved ones and give clear accurate messages from those whom have passed on to the "other side."
Now I've only ever used Paltalk extremely briefly so not sure how these things work, but is there any way we could join in the fun?
Old 13th October 2007, 12:15 PM   #14
baron
Graduate Poster

All "psychics" are fraudulent or deluded, without exception.

baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2007, 05:53 PM   #15
Tim4848
Muse

Originally Posted by lister View Post
Never heard of Lisa Williams, but I did get this email from PalTalk yesterday:

Now I've only ever used Paltalk extremely briefly so not sure how these things work, but is there any way we could join in the fun?
Great minds think a like, I was thinking about doing that as well, but I wonder how hard it is to get through to ask some good questions?
Old 13th October 2007, 05:55 PM   #16
Tim4848
Muse

Originally Posted by baron View Post
All "psychics" are fraudulent or deluded, without exception.
I agree with you on past mediums, but I am not so sure about this lady, she seams to have a gift that can be measured, and she is not a fraid to take it to the house, maybe even your house.
Old 13th October 2007, 05:59 PM   #17
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

These type of paltalk shows are heavily moderated. It's likely a skeptical question will be ignored, deleted or censored.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2007, 06:53 AM   #18
baron
Graduate Poster

I agree with you on past mediums, but I am not so sure about this lady, she seams to have a gift that can be measured, and she is not a fraid to take it to the house, maybe even your house.
She's just a better quality of fraud. Perhaps she's learned from the numerous mistakes of her peers and has adjusted her act accordingly. I'm all for making assessments on the basis of evidence, but if ten million psychics are proved to be frauds then I'm not about to waste my time investigating the ten million and first.

baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2007, 08:00 AM   #19
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by FramerDave View Post
I'm not inclined to waste my time watching the show, but I've seen quite a few ads for it whilst watching Will and Grace. The one that really galled me I saw this morning.

Against a background of old pictures of royalty and pomp the voiceover went something like: "During the early years of Queen Elizabeth's (II) reign, so-and-so guided her through the transition after her coronation while channeling the spirit of Queen Victoria. Now her granddaughter Lisa Williams blah blah blah..."

I wonder if Buckingham Palace might have any comment on this.
According to Williams, her grandmother was "famous English psychic Frances Glazebrooke" who was "psychic medium to the British royal family and other notable people".
In the 1970s, I was an active Spiritualist in the UK and training to be a medium; I heard and read of many mediums who claimed to be giving psychic sessions to royalty, pop stars and other famous people. But I never heard of this woman.
Checking Google for Frances/Francis Glazebrooke/Glazebrook only brings up variations of Williams' claim. You'd thing that such a well-known psychic would have something written about her somewhere.
ETA: Or even have her name spelled right.
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney

Last edited by sophia8; 14th October 2007 at 08:12 AM.
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2007, 11:13 AM   #20
Tim4848
Muse

Originally Posted by sophia8 View Post
According to Williams, her grandmother was "famous English psychic Frances Glazebrooke" who was "psychic medium to the British royal family and other notable people".
In the 1970s, I was an active Spiritualist in the UK and training to be a medium; I heard and read of many mediums who claimed to be giving psychic sessions to royalty, pop stars and other famous people. But I never heard of this woman.
Checking Google for Frances/Francis Glazebrooke/Glazebrook only brings up variations of Williams' claim. You'd thing that such a well-known psychic would have something written about her somewhere.
Now that would be a good question for somebody to ask her on Friday night, when she is answering anybody questions.

You can only assume, until you get the right information, anything else is just a cop out of the topic at hand.
Old 18th October 2007, 09:15 AM   #21
genshi
New Blood

Ugh, she's on the morning news, KTLA 5 (Los Angeles) right now. She is claiming that the recently deceased Merv Griffin (who gave her her own TV show) literally appears in front of her visually and talks with her often! He apparently gives her advice on her show.

One of the anchor people just asked (in a somewhat skeptical way thankfully) "So, uh, you physically will see a guy pop up in front of you?" she answers gleefully with "Yeah, normally they'd walk through the walls and go 'Hi', but yeah, they'll just pop up anywhere."

Wow, just... wow. How can the "news" give time and credibility to something like this? I just don't get it.
Old 18th October 2007, 11:23 AM   #22
eir_de_scania
Thinker

It only goes to show mediums can't get names right, even if it's their own granny.

Granny Weatherwax
eir_de_scania is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2007, 12:19 PM   #23
sophia8
Master Poster

She's a Brit who's basically unknown here. Yet she's living in America, with her own TV show. How did she get her Green Card?

Oh right, her granny arranged it.....
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2007, 12:29 PM   #24
NobbyNobbs
Gazerbeam's Protege

According to wikipedia, a Sir Richard Tetley Glazebrook, a physicist from Liverpool. was president of the Physical Society early last century. In 1883, he married Frances Gertrude Atkinson. They had a son and three daughters.

Atkinson, eh? I wonder if Rowan is a relative of hers as well.....
NobbyNobbs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2007, 03:26 AM   #25
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by NobbyNobbs View Post
According to wikipedia, a Sir Richard Tetley Glazebrook, a physicist from Liverpool. was president of the Physical Society early last century. In 1883, he married Frances Gertrude Atkinson. They had a son and three daughters.
Interesting idea, but the dates don't fit - William's Granny Frances was alive well into the 1970s.
Sir Richard could possibly have been a great-grandparent; but if so, I can't imagine Williams would pass up the chance to boast about it on her show: "And now my great-grandfather, the famous physicist Sir Richard Glazebrooke, will shortly be here to tell us how quantum physics prove the afterlife!"
Old 19th October 2007, 11:18 AM   #26
Elizabeth I
Olympic Equestrian Wannabe

What's with the bloomers she apparently seems to be wearing in the promos for her show? Doesn't she have any real pants?

• There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. - Winston Churchill
• Never wrestle with a pig - you just get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
• My blog: Pardon me, may I ask...
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2007, 03:44 PM   #27
Azrael 5
Philosopher

The nice thing with claims of being "in " with the Royal Family,is that they would never comment on it one way or the other.
If for some odd reason they did have involvement with Granny Frances,they are hardly likely to admit it.
Old 19th October 2007, 08:44 PM   #28
Tim4848
Muse

Thank you for reading my thoughts,

Did you see her show tonight?

She appeared in a one on one with an audience, so I doubt it is the type of situation whee she has retakes, so there must not be any editing.

Every week she is getting better, and every week she is adding weight to My topic "The Department of Positive Out of Body Possibilities", if it keeps going like this, it won't be long where we all can talk to out of body afterlife in a way that can be measured. Everything in life takes it's allotted amount of time, but break through like this, is just perfect timing, and we will all be better for it in the long run.

Thank you,
Tim
Old 22nd October 2007, 05:31 AM   #29
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Azrael 5 View Post
The nice thing with claims of being "in " with the Royal Family,is that they would never comment on it one way or the other.
If for some odd reason they did have involvement with Granny Frances,they are hardly likely to admit it.
It's a tactic that's been used by mediums since at least Helen Duncan's time:
"She gave personal readings to the Prime Minister, and to the King!"
"But there's no proof - there's nothing about seances recorded in their diaries or letters or biographies..."
"Well, of course these people would keep quiet about seeing a medium! So of course there would be nothing written down!"

It's odd how mediums don't see that this tactic diminishes their credibility even further. Besides the ridiculous "no proof equals proof" idea, it's pretty well reinforcing the fact that most people are embarrassed about admitting to visiting a medium. It would be much better for their rep if they admitted that Prime Ministers and Royalty simply don't move in the same social circles as mediums and their clients.

Last edited by sophia8; 22nd October 2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 22nd October 2007, 05:38 AM   #30
Skeptic Guy
Raccoon Death Squad Leader

Thank you for reading my thoughts,

Did you see her show tonight?

She appeared in a one on one with an audience, so I doubt it is the type of situation whee she has retakes, so there must not be any editing.

Every week she is getting better, and every week she is adding weight to My topic "The Department of Positive Out of Body Possibilities", if it keeps going like this, it won't be long where we all can talk to out of body afterlife in a way that can be measured. Everything in life takes it's allotted amount of time, but break through like this, is just perfect timing, and we will all be better for it in the long run.

Thank you,
Tim
Mmmm, hmmmm....

Perhaps it's just that every week the editing is getting better?

Even Mother TeresaWP doubted.
Skeptic Guy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2007, 01:24 PM   #31
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Skeptic Guy View Post
Perhaps it's just that every week the editing is getting better?
Or perhaps the hot-reading does.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2007, 01:28 PM   #32
Skeptic Guy
Raccoon Death Squad Leader

That would suggest that she is resorting to trickery, good sir! I am SURE you are not suggesting that?!

Even Mother TeresaWP doubted.
Skeptic Guy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2007, 01:10 PM   #33
RC
JREF Kid

Hello,

I have not posted in quite some time. I used to be a firm believer in mediumship. Now I'm more or less on the fence and have lost a lot of interest in the subject. I came to believe that even if mediumship does exist, the information that is given is too vague and too similar to cold reading to prove to me without a reasonable doubt that it is truly coming from spirit. In my opinion, that makes it useless.

I did stumble across Lisa's show a few weeks ago and have now seen about 5 episodes. I find the overwhelming majority of her readings to be obvious (and not even good) cold reading. She starts with extremely vague info (mother figure, or a grandmother, you were daddy's little girl, who had cancer). Suddenly the info gets pretty specific once it is given to her by the sitter. She always takes the sitter's response and says "because that's what they're telling me......".

For example:

Lisa: Is there a brother or a brotherlike figure in spirit?
Sitter: Yes, my brother
Lisa: Because that's what they're telling me, they keep saying "I'm brother".

Yesterday, I saw a reading in which she tried to bring through the sitter's mother after the sitter said she had cancer. The sitter had to tell Lisa that mom was still alive, but very sick. Without missing a beat, Lisa turned it around and pretended like she knew it all along.

It is all so patently obvious.

I'll be honest, once in a while, she does get some pretty specific information. But the show is clearly edited, as they never show a miss. At least John Edward was willing to show the misses. So it's impossible to know how long it took her to get the info and there is always the strong possibility of hot reading. She is much more specific for the sitters that are recruited through the show than her "on the street" interviews.

The big problem I have for her is the kind of information she provides for the sitter. Such as the time she told the sitter that her birth was the result of rape. That is serious stuff and potentially very psychologically damaging. And the time she told the sitter that her cousin had been murdered, that it wasn't accidential. And when she told the sitter that her kidnapped son was in Portugal. It's all really creepy to me.

I actually don't think she is sincere. I think she knows exactly what she is doing and trying to get rich and famous off of her magic trick. Her whole schtick of giving hugs and saying "I'm so sorry" and pretending like she's surprised when people cry is all programmed.

My two cents.

I
RC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2007, 12:25 AM   #34
chillzero
Domestic Godless

Mod WarningPosts discussing abilities of Tim4848 split to:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=96829
Posted By:chillzero
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2007, 01:58 PM   #35
h0mesch00led
Student

yeah but there's some things you just can't fake ya know
h0mesch00led is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2007, 06:53 AM   #36
Big Les
Not so much a medium as a large

I keep returning to the idea that some of these people are actually "professional" mentalists who never break character. Responses like this on MagicCaff certainly suggest so. Lots of its residents are backing this Jim Callahan guy who likewise maintains his character out of performance.

Is Williams a mentalist herself? Are they just commenting on her technique, or are they really as morally ambiguous as they seem? Obviously they don't represent all mentalists, but I'm always troubled by what I read there by way of ambiguity, outright claims of paranormal ability, and just plain sceptic bashing.

The BS Historian
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2007, 12:13 PM   #37
panchov
Thinker

See, I don't get this - how do you KNOW she's a fraud?
I actually believe that she's a fraud, also very annoying, but I can't say I KNOW she's one. Tell me how you know, then I can stop pulling my hair about why I THINK she is.
panchov is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2007, 02:34 PM   #38
Aoidoi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by h0mesch00led View Post
yeah but there's some things you just can't fake ya know
Like?

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2007, 02:45 PM   #39
Big Les

Originally Posted by panchov View Post
See, I don't get this - how do you KNOW she's a fraud?
I actually believe that she's a fraud, also very annoying, but I can't say I KNOW she's one. Tell me how you know, then I can stop pulling my hair about why I THINK she is.
Semantics. There's every reason to believe that she is one, and no reason to believe otherwise, unless she'd like to take the challenge of course...

The BS Historian
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2007, 10:18 AM   #40
Big Les

No? Perhaps I can spell it out. Everything she does can be replicated using mentalism techniques. I even posted a link to mentalists commenting on her technique. Futher, there is no evidence of either the existence of an afterlife, or a mechanism by which people might communicate with its residents. In fact, the very idea runs counter to the laws of physics. Therefore, whilst technically it might be theoretically possible that she's the real deal and will one day prove it to us all, with no evidence to suggest she's anything but one, for all intents and purposes, she absolutely is a fraud. You could argue that she might be self-deluded, and therefore not a knowing fraud.

If you want to be strictly sceptical about it, I can't KNOW she's a fraud. But then I can't KNOW that when I dream, I'm not actually being transported to a magical land where all sorts of weird things happen. I can't KNOW that I'm not the only person in the universe, and everything I experience isn't a product of my solipsist brain in a jar. Or any number of other highly improbable, counter-the-available-evidence scenarios you might care to think of.

The BS Historian

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal