ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 9 11 denial , fiascos , stupid mistakes

Old 2nd November 2007, 01:25 AM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The Greatest Fiascos of the 9-11 "Truth" Movement

I'm trying to gather together some information here; let's hear about some boneheaded mistakes, plans that fell disastrously apart, etc. No Stundies, no science experiments; I'm looking for places where the movement made an incredible mistake, not just an individual.

Some that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. The Scholars For 9-11 Truth. Jim Fetzer leverages himself into the position of spokesman for the patched elbow brigade and promptly reveals that he is a complete nut.

2. The Ham Sandwich Escapes Indictment. A Truther Grand Jury fails to indict anybody for 9-11 crimes, despite Jim Hoffman as the prosecutor and "expert" testimony from Steven Jones and Richard Gage.

3. Truther Burn. An artist proposes to demonstrate Steven Jones' imaginary diagonal thermite cutting devices at Burning Man. Money is raised. Artist decides not to go through with demonstration.

4. Holocaust Denier Running the Show. A Holocaust Denier was the conference director for an Arizona 9-11 Accountability confab attended by many of the movement's leading figures, even after they found out of his involvement.

5. Kennebunkport Bunk. After successfully pursuing an alliance with Cindy Sheehan and other peace movement leaders, Webster Tarpley turns on them and calls them "miserable human beings" when they deny signing a statement he had circulated. Cindy Sheehan has not made a statement in support of the "Truthers" since.

6. Jesus in the UK. The British Troofers anoint David Shayler as their leader, and Alex Jones gives him major face time in Terrorstorm. Shayler announces he's a no-planer and the son of God.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:40 AM   #2
Plantfoam
Thinker

Quote:
6. Jesus in the UK. The British Troofers anoint David Shayler as their leader, and Alex Jones gives him major face time in Terrorstorm. Shayler announces he's a no-planer and the son of God.
According the Prof. Jones, did Jesus visit the UK or the US first? I mean, he is obviously there right now because of the weak dollar.
Plantfoam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:46 AM   #3
MG1962
Penultimate Amazing

I feel the whole Loose Change final cut thing qualifies - It went from being bigger than Ben Hur to a few private screenings in Sweden
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:50 AM   #4
ref
Master Poster

Does this qualify?

7. Kevin Barrett goes to arrest the alive hijacker in Morocco. Only when in Morocco he finds out, the guy he is looking for may not even be in Morocco. A couple of phone calls would have told him that.

It's interesting to see how the story evolves. Look how the tone changes.

Before: "Barrett voiced his outrage that such a brutal, ruthless terrorist has been allowed to commit mass murder and suicide—and walk away scot free. “Waleed al-Shehri, I’m coming to get you!” Barrett vowed. “I don’t know how you got out of that plane alive, but that was the last miraculous escape you’ll ever make. You’re coming back to the US in handcuffs with me to face charges of mass murder and terrorism.”

In Morocco: "I have spoken to a couple of fairly high-level people in the commercial aviation community in Casablanca, and so far nobody will confirm or deny that a Saudi pilot named Waleed al-Shehri ever lived or worked here. When I ask how I might obtain a list of pilots based in Casablanca, they tell me that no such list is obtainable.

The Information Officer at the US Embassy in Rabat, a pleasant fellow named David, told me today that he and all the other current Embassy personnel know nothing about the al-Shehri story, because none of them were in Morocco in 2001, because diplomatic service employees always rotate around the world every few years."

After: "The truth is, if I was not particularly disturbed, much less surprised, by my failure to find Waleed..."

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80682

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:54 AM   #5
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

8. LC:FC is an even more watered-down version of its predecessors in an attempt to be more "mainstreamy". The revolution fails to materialise and is not televised.

Ooops... that hasn't happened yet. Me and my damned Delorean.

Last edited by qarnos; 2nd November 2007 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Damned ref! Stole number 7.
qarnos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 02:35 AM   #6
ref
Master Poster

9. The View Fiasco. Rosie was supposed to feature Loose Change Crew, possibly William Rodriguez, Steven Jones and others on the View. However, before anything happened she got into a dispute and resigned. No View. No MSM exposure.

Conspiracy theories abound and I believe firmly that all of them are without merit. - Chief Daniel Nigro
ref is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 02:39 AM   #7
ref
Master Poster

10. How about the William Rodriguez vs. Loose Change episode? Dylan accused William of the Mark Cuban deal failure, William threw a couple of punches back. William left the impression that he sold witness testimonies. William also requested to be removed from LCF and never post there again.

Old 2nd November 2007, 02:54 AM   #8
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
The 9/11 Scholars split: Judy Wood -v- Steven Jones. (Space beams & no thermite -v- Therm*te (or: Batcrap -v- Batcrap).
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:10 AM   #9
MikeW
Graduate Poster

Lauro Chavez taking his turn guarding the Afghan pipeline, even though it doesn't exist?

And Tom Flocco self-destructing was a classic. He ran a story that said this:

Quote:
French and American intelligence agents have arrested Barbara Olsen, the wife of a former Bush administration official, a few days ago on the Polish-Austrian border, according to agents close to and with knowledge of the incident.

The alleged 9.11 Pentagon crash victim was found to be in possession of millions in fake interbank Italian lyra currency, according to the agents.

Olsen was also reportedly in possession of a fraudulent Vatican passport and was held on charges of counterfeiting.
http://educate-yourself.org/cn/barba...o23sep05.shtml
Somehow not noticing that:

a) it's Olson, not Olsen
b) Poland and Austria don't have a common border
c) it's Lira, not Lyra
d) the Lira had been replaced by the Euro at the time so was almost useless
e) and if she had, say, ten million Lira at the time then that would have a value of under $10,000, hardly a big deal

After this even Alex Jones said he'd lost credibility... Which really says it all.
MikeW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:20 AM   #10
peteweaver
Graduate Poster

Its bad enough that they continually try excusing terrorism, but what they are doing here is like urinating on a victims grave. Barbara Olson was murdered on the 11th sept 2001.

How someone can be idiotic enough to deny that is beyond me.
peteweaver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:37 AM   #11
MikeW
Graduate Poster

That was nothing for Flocco, he published nonsense all the time. You didn't know that a Chicago grand jury indicted Bush, Cheney, Andrew Card, Lewis Libby, Alberto Gonzalez, John Ashcroft, Judith Miller, Mary Matalin and Tony Blair, did you? Then you didn't read the Flocco story from the time: http://tomflocco.com/fs/BushCheneyIndicted.htm
MikeW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:05 AM   #12
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Anything to do with airfones?

Dave

- Fabian Stang, Mayor of Oslo

SSKCAS, covert member
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:09 AM   #13
ref
Master Poster

Of all countries, why would she have chosen a Vatican passport.

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/...ticani_en.html

Quote:
As of December 31st 2005, there were 557, persons having the Vatican citizenship, of which 58 Cardinals, 293 of the Clergy having status as members of the Pontifical Representations, 62 other members of the Clergy, 101 members of the Pontifical Swiss Guard and 43 other lay persons.

The persons authorized to reside in the Vatican City maintaining their original citizenship were 246, of the aforementioned numbers.
The persons residing in buildings outside of the Vatican City in buildings exempt from expropriation and taxation were 3,100 on the above mentioned date.

From January 1st till December 31st 2005 have been transcribed 111 marriage acts.

Old 2nd November 2007, 05:40 AM   #14
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Plantfoam View Post
According the Prof. Jones, did Jesus visit the UK or the US first?
Obviously the US, probably get a hundred guys named Jesus coming up from Mexico every day...

Last edited by WildCat; 2nd November 2007 at 05:49 AM.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:48 AM   #15
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ref View Post
9. The View Fiasco. Rosie was supposed to feature Loose Change Crew, possibly William Rodriguez, Steven Jones and others on the View. However, before anything happened she got into a dispute and resigned. No View. No MSM exposure.

I'd say this was actually a lucky break for the "Truth" movement. Such exposure would simply have accelerated the plunge over the cliff.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:57 AM   #16
CHF
Illuminator

The biggest fiasco has to be Judy Wood's laser beam theory.

After the twoofers had hyped her engineering credentials for months they had to disown her as "disinfo."
CHF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:14 AM   #17
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Kevin Barrett trying to pull a "don't taze me, bro" copycat stunt and getting jeered out of the auditorium.

Kevin Ryan's lawsuit.
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:25 AM   #18
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster

Killtown and all the no-planers getting the split with LCF. That was quite a spectacle...
I've accomplished more without film school than most people, such as yourself, will EVER accomplish. Period. Jealousy is a bitch, and I'm sorry you're experiencing it, but don't spew ******** like that and expect to not be corrected. This is why you were banned from my forums in the first place.
- Dylan Avery on the budget of his film.
The Silver Shadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:29 AM   #19
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
e) and if she had, say, ten million Lira at the time then that would have a value of under $10,000, hardly a big deal
Ten million Italian Lira would be just over €5,100. Even now with the USD at an all-time low, it's under $7,500.
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:33 AM   #20
MarkyX
Master Poster

Chris Bollyn's arrest claiming to be a target by the government (Alex Jones even reported this), then having his own wife go against his story. On the day of his sentence, he takes off and considers himself a political prisoner, while the movement is completely silent about this ordeal. What a way to treat one of the founders of the movement!
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:41 AM   #21
MikeW
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ref View Post
Of all countries, why would she have chosen a Vatican passport.
Heh. It actually makes me wonder if this story deliberately had as many mistakes as possible included, just to see how many people would accept it anyway.
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:53 AM   #22
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by The Silver Shadow View Post
Killtown
Killtown should have his own number.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 07:33 AM   #23
The Silver Shadow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drudgewire View Post
Killtown should have his own number.
Is he still around or has he been relegated to his corner of cyberspace where nobody bothers to look?
I've accomplished more without film school than most people, such as yourself, will EVER accomplish. Period. Jealousy is a bitch, and I'm sorry you're experiencing it, but don't spew ******** like that and expect to not be corrected. This is why you were banned from my forums in the first place.
- Dylan Avery on the budget of his film.
The Silver Shadow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:08 AM   #24
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

i think the truth movement itself is its own biggest fiasco
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:35 AM   #25
ref
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
Heh. It actually makes me wonder if this story deliberately had as many mistakes as possible included, just to see how many people would accept it anyway.
I was thinking the exact same thing. One more thing that struck me (as a bank person). What is "fake interbank Italian lyra currency"?

Italian Lira notes were introduced by Banca d'Italia (Bank of Italy). This is the Italian central bank, so no other banks were throwing their own Lire around. Here are sample pictures:

http://www.banknotes.com/it.htm

What has some "interbank" to do with anything in this?

Old 2nd November 2007, 08:39 AM   #26
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by peteweaver View Post
Its bad enough that they continually try excusing terrorism, but what they are doing here is like urinating on a victims grave. Barbara Olson was murdered on the 11th sept 2001.

How someone can be idiotic enough to deny that is beyond me.
I thought Barbara Olson was a huge jerk, but that doesn't mean she was any less a victim of this attack.
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:13 AM   #27
juryjone
Refusing to be confused by facts

I think the greatest failure of the movement is the lack of a single coherent theory of what happened that day after more than six years of speculation. LIHOP/MIHOP, planes/no planes, space beam/therm*te, flyover/no flyover, survivors/no survivors. Molten metal. Suitcase nukes. Not a single "this is what happened that day" scenario that makes any kind of sense, even to themselves.

This isn't a movement. It's hundreds of individual nutcases, each going down their own individual yellow brick road. If there was an actual movement, they'd be a lot more dangerous.
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:50 AM   #28
Disbelief
Master Poster

Did I miss the release of the blueprints? That was going to be the smoking gun that proved it. Turned out to be quite the flop.
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:12 AM   #29
Minadin
Hiding his Head in the Sane

Kevin Ryan's Lawsuit.

Dismissed with prejudice.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=91879

Support the democratic freedom of the people of Iran.
Minadin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:12 AM   #30
WilliamSeger
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
Did I miss the release of the blueprints? That was going to be the smoking gun that proved it. Turned out to be quite the flop.
... and the NORAD tapes.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 10:40 AM   #31
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Judy Woods might be the most idiotic moment,but the constant infighting and bickering is what has hurt the "movement" the most.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 11:06 AM   #32
tacodaemon
Muse

I'll always remember the time the Loose Change guys made a big deal about going to what used to be Griffiss AFB for some filming, which gave the military an opportunity to have Korey arrested for desertion.
Old 2nd November 2007, 12:27 PM   #33
Juustin
Muse

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
5. Kennebunkport Bunk. After successfully pursuing an alliance with Cindy Sheehan and other peace movement leaders, Webster Tarpley turns on them and calls them "miserable human beings" when they deny signing a statement he had circulated. Cindy Sheehan has not made a statement in support of the "Truthers" since.
I know Cindy Sheehan can be wishy washy, but she was at least making Truther claims at one point, I heard it myself on a call with Sean Hannity. He was calling her out on being involved with some MIHOP types at a rally or something, and asked her if it was true, and she said Bush & Co. were behind 9/11. He pushed a little more on what evidence she had for it, and she turned that into "Well, they at least knew it was going to happen and when and let it happen anyway".

All that is paraphrased, call was around a year ago IIRC.

Last edited by Juustin; 2nd November 2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Language was vague, wanted to clarify
Juustin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:31 PM   #34
nicepants
Graduate Poster

Alex Jones claiming that the FDNY were involved in the conspiracy.

"Mike" the EMT's "smoking gun" testimony.
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:57 PM   #35
CHF
Illuminator

Originally Posted by juryjone View Post
This isn't a movement. It's hundreds of individual nutcases, each going down their own individual yellow brick road. If there was an actual movement, they'd be a lot more dangerous.
Alex on SLC said it best: the TM is a "movement" in the same way as a mental asylum is a movement.
CHF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 02:17 PM   #36
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
Administrator

Originally Posted by Minadin View Post
Kevin Ryan's Lawsuit.

Dismissed with prejudice.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=91879
Coincidentally, I just obtained some additional documents on that today and I plan on adding them to the most recent waterboy litigation thread when I get home tonight.

[/derail]
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 02:22 PM   #37
Gravy
Downsitting Citizen

–The John Schroeder incident. Guys from three different parts of the truth movement are so anxious to get a traumatized victim's story on YouTube that they neglect to listen to it.

–Jason Bermas proclaiming that the firefighters are paid off, in a video promoted on the Loose Change website, then "apologizing" by proclaiming that they're not paid off, they're bowing to threats.

–No-planer Dylan Avery banning no-planers from his forum.

–Louder Than Words proclaiming, in 2007, that whatever hit the Pentagon is irrelevant.

–Any truthers allowing themselves to be interviewed by the BBC or the History Channel.

–Alex Jones allowing the NYPD to take him alive.

What's the Harm?........Stop Sylvia Browne........My 9/11 links
Gravy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:00 PM   #38
Bell
beautiful freak

Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
–Alex Jones allowing the NYPD to take him alive.
How that could happen is still being investigated by the IAB.

INY
You gotta love cops.
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:29 PM   #39
bje
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I'm trying to gather together some information here; let's hear about some boneheaded mistakes, plans that fell disastrously apart, etc. No Stundies, no science experiments; I'm looking for places where the movement made an incredible mistake, not just an individual.

Personally, I think this should all come under the heading of "The 9/11 Truth Movement's Greatest Hits"
Old 11th November 2007, 02:40 AM   #40
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The 11/11 launch of Loose Change online.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories