IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gas station , convenience store , benjamin radford , parma ohio , security camera

Old 13th November 2007, 11:25 AM   #1
krelnik
Graduate Poster

[Merged]"Ghost" caught on convenience store camera?

I think we all remember that fabulous debunk of the courthouse security camera ghosts in Santa Fe that Ben did.

Well, here's another very similar one that turned up this week.

This time it's a blue cloud in a Parma, Ohio gas station. (Link includes video from the camera).

--Tim Farley
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 12:04 PM   #2
Biscuit
Philosopher

That is honestly one of the oddest things I have ever seen. I am certain it will be shown that the tape was tampered with. The color of the cloud looks so artificial and the movement looks like something from scooby-doo.
Old 13th November 2007, 12:10 PM   #3
krelnik
Graduate Poster

One thing I note in the accounts: nobody ever clearly states that they saw it OTHER THAN on the security video. Shouldn't someone out by the pumps have seen it in person? That's why I drew the parallel with the Santa Fe case: I think the cause is probably very similar.

Another red flag: this TV station appears to be the only media outlet reporting on it so far.

--Tim Farley

Last edited by krelnik; 13th November 2007 at 12:11 PM.
krelnik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Lianad
Scholar

This EXACT same effect was debunked years ago on national TV. I can not remember the show, but basically the footage was from a security camera in a used car lot after hours, and this "ghost" that looked EXACTLY like the one in this blue cloud picture, would float around the cars and sway back and forth. Everyone was convinced it was a ghost, until some people with half a brain looked at the footage and recreated it, thus prompting the person who did it initially to come forward.

All it is is a little doll/napkin shaped like a doll/etc attached to fishing line, that is dangled or hung in front of the security camera. A slight breeze or nudge causes it to "sway" and since it is so close to the camera it remains out of focus and "ghostly".

Anyone with 5 minutes of time could recreate the same footage.
Lianad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Out-of-focus blue plastic bag hanging in front of the camera?

Nah, its too simple. Must be something else.

Its a non-corporeal alien, possibly a Thasian, since Organians are not very fond of leaving their planet. Can also be from the same race the "Companion entity" is. Hopefully its not a certain cloud-creature that feeds on red blood cells. Or the Zetar!

Better now, eh?
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 01:02 PM   #6
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lianad View Post
This EXACT same effect was debunked years ago on national TV. I can not remember the show....

All it is is a little doll/napkin shaped like a doll/etc attached to fishing line, that is dangled or hung in front of the security camera. A slight breeze or nudge causes it to "sway" and since it is so close to the camera it remains out of focus and "ghostly".
Sounds like you are talking about the September 2002 sighting at Puckett's Auto Storage in Oklahoma City. Among other debunkings of this, there is one as a "bonus feature" on Disk 3 of the Season 1 set of Penn & Teller's Showtime program whose name is against forum rules.

If you google "Puckett ghost" you'll get plenty of hits on it.

--Tim Farley

ETA: There's another forum thread on that one too. (With a Sylvia Browne connection to boot!)

Last edited by krelnik; 13th November 2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 13th November 2007, 02:06 PM   #7
this charming man
Graduate Poster

Could it be something on the camera lens?
this charming man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I agree with the charming man, something on the lens.

The movement isn't right to match the "doll" hoax. It moves more like an insect. The blue color is odd, though...I'd suspect something to do with the camera or some sort of diffussion/scattering effect. Is it possible the camera had a blue LED light on it? The blue could be a reflection of that light from a bug.

It's definately something very out of focus and very close to the camera. (you never see it go behind anything in the picture, for example, nor is there any effect on anything..no shadow, no shading from light sources, no reaction from people int he film, etc). The movement makes me think bug. Doesn't explain the color, though, which seems the only odd part.

Last edited by Hellbound; 13th November 2007 at 02:44 PM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 02:48 PM   #9
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It's obviously an insect crawling on the lens to me.

Can't see what the fuss is about, really.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 02:50 PM   #10
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

The blue cast could be from the type of lights, too.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 02:52 PM   #11
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

A quick Google finds quite a few blue or blue green insects.

Old 13th November 2007, 03:00 PM   #12
Alice Shortcake
Graduate Poster

I agree - it's some sort of insect.
Alice Shortcake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 03:28 PM   #13
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
It's obviously an insect crawling on the lens to me. Can't see what the fuss is about, really.

I agree.

I work in the transportation industry. We have nearly 150 different locations with multiple cameras at each location. Each camera takes and transmits at least one complete frame per second; some take images in visible light, some in infrared.

We see phenomenon a lot, especially during the more "buggy" times of the year.

If it moves, then it's an insect on the lens.

If it doesn't move, then it's just a piece of schmutz.

And yes, the type of lighting does affect the color of the image.

In this case, it's not a ghost, or an angel, or an extraterrestrial being - it's just an insect.
Belief itself proves nothing.
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 03:31 PM   #14
Floyd312
Student

It's bigfoot.
Floyd312 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 09:34 PM   #15
krelnik
Graduate Poster

Definitely. This is supposedly a Marathon station, and their logo colors are red, white and blue. So it could easily be a reflection from the decorations on the structure over the gas pumps that is causing the blue tinge.

Here's what one of those stations looks like.

--Tim Farley
Old 13th November 2007, 09:41 PM   #16
Lianad
Scholar

I made my previous post before actually clicking play on the video and just seeing the still frame. I agree with others after watching it, it looks like an insect. In fact, at one point it looks to me like you can see wings of some sort flapping with a lot of motion blur.
Lianad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2007, 10:01 PM   #17
ConspiRaider
Writer of Nothingnesses

I'm from Northeast Ohio originally, used to live in Parma for a time. I know where that intersection is. A couple miles west on Pleasant Valley Road is Tri-C (Cuyahoga Community College, West Campus), where I attended for a semester.

The good thing: People is a comin' to see it! Tourism! Gift shops! Shrines! Parmawood! MONEY!!!!!
ConspiRaider is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 06:34 AM   #18
ToddH
Critical Thinker

[Merged]"Ghost" caught on convenience store camera?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/off...gas.ghost.woio

Riiiight.
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 06:40 AM   #19
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=98717

Old 14th November 2007, 07:10 AM   #20
wahrheit
Philosopher

Those ghosts seem to have a really pathetic "life".

Ghost One: Hey, what have you been up to yesterday?

Ghost Two: Was hanging around the gas station. *picks his out of focus nose*

Ghost One: Wow, that is sooo cool. *yawn*
wahrheit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 07:22 AM   #21
ToddH
Critical Thinker

Don't you guys know an angel when you see one?
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 10:46 AM   #22
Santa666
Critical Thinker

Looking for suitable answer

It has been a while since I have posted, but i was emailed this link and I am curious what the object in the video could be. I certainly do not believe it is a ghost, or spirit, or angel, or demon, but I would be interested in a suitable explanation for the person who sent it to me.

Any ideas?

Santa666 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 10:55 AM   #23
Yoink
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Santa666 View Post
It has been a while since I have posted, but i was emailed this link and I am curious what the object in the video could be. I certainly do not believe it is a ghost, or spirit, or angel, or demon, but I would be interested in a suitable explanation for the person who sent it to me.

Any ideas?

It's so obviously a bug crawling on the lens of the camera that you have to wonder if everyone involved in this story doesn't have their tongue firmly in their cheek. That or their brains solidly in their nether regions.
Yoink is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 10:57 AM   #24
Yoink
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Santa666 View Post

Any ideas?

It's so obviously a bug crawling on the lens of the camera that you have to wonder if everyone involved in this story doesn't have their tongue firmly in their cheek. That or their brains solidly in their nether regions.
Yoink is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 11:08 AM   #25
LibraryLady
Emeritus

To me it looks like a blue grocery bag caught in the wind.
Old 14th November 2007, 12:46 PM   #26
Tirdun
Muse

Boss: OK crew, we've got a haunted gas station, who gets the spot?

AL: Geeze, boss. I interviewed that haunted house family for Halloween, and last week I had to do the stupid cat show.

Beth: I did the cheese festival! Seriously, that's like three haunted gas stations worth of pathetic!

Carl: Oh, no... No way. I'm interviewing with mid Atlantic regional next month! Last thing I need is some haunted gas station on my piece list.

Dave: Is this national or local? I'll do a local spot, but I don't want my parents to see it.

ETC.
Tirdun is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 12:55 PM   #27
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lianad View Post
This EXACT same effect was debunked years ago on national TV. I can not remember the show, but basically the footage was from a security camera in a used car lot after hours, and this "ghost" that looked EXACTLY like the one in this blue cloud picture, would float around the cars and sway back and forth. Everyone was convinced it was a ghost, until some people with half a brain looked at the footage and recreated it, thus prompting the person who did it initially to come forward.

Anyone with 5 minutes of time could recreate the same footage.
Are you maybe thinking about the one in a wrecking yard:

http://www.rockymountainparanormal.com/puckett.htm
Denver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 04:12 PM   #28
Miss Whiplash
Graduate Poster

I hear Drew Carey singing:

" Moon over Parma, bring us tourists tonight.

Make us big as Cleveland, with our convenience store fright.

We know it's a moth, but don't tell anyone.

Moon over Parma, tonight."

Last edited by Miss Whiplash; 14th November 2007 at 05:07 PM.
Miss Whiplash is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 04:26 PM   #29
jhammer
New Blood

It looks completely like a blue Walmart plastic bag being blown around in the wind to me - both the color, and the way it moves and floats. If not that then perhaps one of those blue paper towels that are found at every gas station to wipe your windows. I think I'd rule those two options out first before jumping to ghost or alien or some such nonsense.
jhammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 04:41 PM   #30
Yoink
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
To me it looks like a blue grocery bag caught in the wind.
A grocery bag that stayed still for half an hour in mid-air would indeed be a paranormal phenomenon!

It's a BUG! It is blurry and out of focus because it is on the lens. Maybe you have to be someone who wears glasses to know that a bit of crap (or a bug) on your lenses looks exactly like that--blurry and semi-translucent?
Old 14th November 2007, 06:16 PM   #31
edteach
Scholar

ghost at a gas station

I can not believe how stupid many of us are in this county. This so called ghost is clearly a bug of some sort you can tell by its movements. but people would rather think it is an angle, or a indian ghost or some such other clap trap. I see this and wonder how I can not rule the world. lol.

edteach is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 06:19 PM   #32
kosai
Recently Audited Thetan Cluster

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=98776
kosai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 06:20 PM   #33
kosai
Recently Audited Thetan Cluster

I found a match for the color... now using the CSI image enchancement from TV it's become clear...

By travisjd at 2007-11-14

The ghost is Boo Berry.

Last edited by kosai; 14th November 2007 at 06:23 PM.
kosai is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2007, 09:04 PM   #34
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

<<<<<<<<< It Was Me!!!!!!!!!!!! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by alfaniner; 14th November 2007 at 09:08 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2007, 12:50 AM   #35
Explorer
Graduate Poster

I posted a thread some time ago relating a personal experience.

I was driving at about nine o clock on a very still clear morning towards a roundabout in Bournemouth, England. The roundabout was circled by trees, and as I pulled up on my approach, noticed that every tree had a fuzzy grey coloured tapering "pillar" cloud towering above it. At the base, I would estimate the diameter to be four to five feet, tapering to about two feet at the top. The height was around fifteen feet. As I drove off the roundabout, there were a few trees further down my turning that also displayed this phenomenon. I put this down to either some kind of local condensation effect producing a kind of foggy mist, but clearly with a distinctive shape, or tiny flying insects swarming. On my return the phenomenon had disappeared.

I have never seen anything like it before or again.
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2007, 02:34 AM   #36
Joppy
Scholar

I agree its a bug. The blob seems to be right in front of the camera. In the beginning of the cnn video, they show the side of the gas station. There is a sign with blue lights in the area where the camera might be. Then later when they showed images of the reporter through the camera, her clothes are purple. But when she is filmed by the cnn cameras, her clothes are red. So either the camera is crappy or there is some form of colored lights around where the camera is.
Joppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2007, 07:09 AM   #37
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Joppy View Post
I agree its a bug. The blob seems to be right in front of the camera. In the beginning of the cnn video, they show the side of the gas station. There is a sign with blue lights in the area where the camera might be. Then later when they showed images of the reporter through the camera, her clothes are purple. But when she is filmed by the cnn cameras, her clothes are red. So either the camera is crappy or there is some form of colored lights around where the camera is.
Excellent!

This gives us confirmation fo the blueish tint caused by either the camera or the lighting in the area.

That gets rid fo that last little .1% doubt I had. Bug.
Old 15th November 2007, 08:17 AM   #38
Big Les
Philosopher

You can see the blue lighting in the readout-windows of the petrol pumps. I think.

It certainly *moves* like an insect (a fly specifically), and seems to have little wingtip-like protuberances.
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2007, 11:29 AM   #39
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

I would think a lot of these theories could be tested by the shop employees, just getting a ladder and some plastic bug or somesuch, put it up near the lens near the same time of day, and see if they get a similar fuzzy blue thing.

If, they were so inclined to test it, of course...
Denver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2007, 12:10 PM   #40
Pile
New Blood

Keith Olbermann made fun of the video on his show last night. He said they found out what that was on camera: Booberry!
Pile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal