International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   White House Survivor (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321828)

Segnosaur 7th December 2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 12526894)
Kelly may have been preventing any number of nightmare scenarios, most of which involve escalations of existing international conflicts or trade wars. Sending troops to Texas probably won't touch off an international incident, but there are plenty of other places to send American troops.

You are of course assuming that Kelly actually has any influence to prevent Trump from doing stupid stuff with the military or the economy.

As I mentioned before, Kelly has largely been sidelined as of late. And many of the foolish things Trump has done (like starting trade wars) were things that Kelly wouldn't have been involved in doing anyways.

In fact, its possible that Kelly is an enabler, someone who gives Trump a figleaf of respect when it is not deserved.

The Great Zaganza 7th December 2018 11:00 AM

deleted

The Great Zaganza 7th December 2018 11:06 AM

Kelly leaving is more a problem for keeping the lights on in the White House than stopping Trump from ordering the country to go to DEFCON 1, just to show China how serious he is about trade: by now, non-flunkies just don't follow Trump's nonsense orders anymore.

dudalb 7th December 2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 12526842)
Why be scared? Trump has been unhinged pretty much from day 1, and Kelly has been increasingly marginalized. Hard to think of how things could get worse.

Perhaps with Kelly gone, there will be a greater chance of Trump self-destructing, with an occasional republican thinking "he's gone too far".

THngs could get a lot worse....as in Trump starts a war for no good reason worse.

jimbob 7th December 2018 01:41 PM

I just hope the Republican Senators develop a sense of personal self-preservation. Trump is going to push at the boundaries until someone stops him, and if the GOP Senate had any self-awareness, they'd see that eventually they'll end up as his enemies.

Kelly might have tried, but everyone who plays ball with a narcissist with power is going to get burned unless he loses power before that.

Stacyhs 7th December 2018 01:44 PM

Does anyone now doubt that Tillerson called Trump a 'moron'? Or that he was wrong in doing so?

If Tillerson is "dumb as a rock' and "lazy as hell", why did Trump appoint him as Sec. of State in the first place? It reflects more on Trump's competency than Tillerson's. If anyone is dumb as a rock and lazy as hell, it's Trump.

Darat 7th December 2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12527174)
THngs could get a lot worse....as in Trump starts a war for no good reason worse.



I think you will find there are checks and balances in place to prevent that......



And by checks and balances I mean we have to hope Twitter’s terms and conditions don’t allow you to declare war using their service!

tyr_13 7th December 2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 12526482)
Well, he's far from the most unqualified. He at least had a tenure on the NLRB, where his number two was found to have been hiring based on conservative litmus test issues but Acosta knew nothing about that, no really he didn't, he said so.

His singular qualification is that he's Cuban-American and a crumb for the South Florida Viva El Donald brigade. He's also the only Latino in the cabinet.

Sorry, I missed typing out 'Bush' before 'appointee'. I've been missing words and typing in the wrong words a lot lately, which is honestly troubling to me.

At any rate, yes, it turns out he was one of those 'conservative' (GOP style) lapdogs that Bush pushed through with a ton of appointments from 'conservative' law schools.

Giordano 7th December 2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12527181)
Does anyone now doubt that Tillerson called Trump a 'moron'? Or that he was wrong in doing so?

If Tillerson is "dumb as a rock' and "lazy as hell", why did Trump appoint him as Sec. of State in the first place? It reflects more on Trump's competency than Tillerson's. If anyone is dumb as a rock and lazy as hell, it's Trump.

And how many times has Trump now used this same strategy, over and over again? Ex-cabinet members. Ex-staff. Ex-lawyers...

"Sure I appointed them but I always thought they were an idiot (liar, etc)." Particularly when they finally are willing to tell the truth about him. I just don't get it.

Would any executive in any company or organization be allowed to get away with such crap?

Stacyhs 7th December 2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giordano (Post 12527432)
And how many times has Trump now used this same strategy, over and over again? Ex-cabinet members. Ex-staff. Ex-lawyers...

"Sure I appointed them but I always thought they were an idiot (liar, etc)." Particularly when they finally are willing to tell the truth about him. I just don't get it.

Would any executive in any company or organization be allowed to get away with such crap?

If any executive made as many bad decisions in hiring as Trump, they'd have been fired for incompetency long ago.

Pixel42 8th December 2018 11:43 AM

Kelly to leave by the end of the year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46496756

Minoosh 8th December 2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel42 (Post 12528123)
Kelly to leave by the end of the year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46496756

I would just love it if Trump made Sean Hannity chief of staff. It wouldn't be good for the country, but it would be interesting to see the meltdown.

However I think Pence's COS is the likely pick.

Trump continues to alienate every halfway competent appointee he's named.

ETA: Also interested in how Trump will go about trashing Kelly's reputation.

The Great Zaganza 8th December 2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 12527334)
I think you will find there are checks and balances in place to prevent that......



And by checks and balances I mean we have to hope Twitter’s terms and conditions don’t allow you to declare war using their service!

... the last line of defense.

fagin 8th December 2018 01:00 PM

The only person remotely qualified to do the job he hired them for was Stormy Daniels.

Stacyhs 8th December 2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fagin (Post 12528192)
The only person remotely qualified to do the job he hired them for was Stormy Daniels.

That is funny. Really. But the nit picker in me needs to point out that Stormy wasn't paid for the sex. She was only paid not to talk about it. But, still...funny.:thumbsup:

dann 8th December 2018 10:11 PM

It's hard to imagine anybody having sex with that despicable guy if they aren't paid. Why do you think she wasn't paid twice, the first time for sex, the second time for signing the NDA?

Minoosh 8th December 2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 12528534)
It's hard to imagine anybody having sex with that despicable guy if they aren't paid. Why do you think she wasn't paid twice, the first time for sex, the second time for signing the NDA?

I think it was a freebie based on her hope that he'd give her career a boost. But no way to know for sure, obviously.

Skeptic Ginger 8th December 2018 11:29 PM

The more unhinged Trump gets the more likely the Senate is to impeach him. The economy will recover.

The Great Zaganza 8th December 2018 11:38 PM

The economy isn't in recession.
But it will be.

Stacyhs 9th December 2018 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 12528534)
It's hard to imagine anybody having sex with that despicable guy if they aren't paid. Why do you think she wasn't paid twice, the first time for sex, the second time for signing the NDA?

She said she wasn't paid for the sex and I take her at her word about it. She's far more credible than Trump. Daniels said that Trump offered to get her on The Apprentice and to help her cheat to stay on longer.

Trebuchet 9th December 2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12528572)
The more unhinged Trump gets the more likely the Senate is to impeach him. The economy will recover.

Nitpick: The House would impeach him, the Senate would then conduct the trial to remove him from office.

Norman Alexander 9th December 2018 04:43 PM

Me, picking Kelly back on May 1. Was I the first?

Beelzebuddy 9th December 2018 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12529112)

I had him in August of last year, but I also thought he'd quit before Trump could fire him. He didn't seem like the kind of person to suffer fools.

But this means I need a new dead pool pick. Who are you looking at? We're nearly down to just family left, aren't we?

Norman Alexander 9th December 2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy (Post 12529321)
I had him in August of last year, but I also thought he'd quit before Trump could fire him. He didn't seem like the kind of person to suffer fools.

But this means I need a new dead pool pick. Who are you looking at? We're nearly down to just family left, aren't we?

:th:

Jared? he's been putting his big fat foot in it lately over Saudi Arabia and making Donny look stupid. That's not acceptable. Just let's hope he isn't Kashoggi'd.

The Great Zaganza 9th December 2018 10:24 PM

So who is going to replace Don Jr. after his indictment?
No doubt Trump is shopping around for a suitable, less problematic son.

Norman Alexander 9th December 2018 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12529332)
So who is going to replace Don Jr. after his indictment?
No doubt Trump is shopping around for a suitable, less problematic son.

[deleted] Replied to wrong post.

Norman Alexander 9th December 2018 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12529332)
So who is going to replace Don Jr. after his indictment?
No doubt Trump is shopping around for a suitable, less problematic son.

He could buy one, I suppose.

dann 10th December 2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12528615)
She said she wasn't paid for the sex and I take her at her word about it. She's far more credible than Trump. Daniels said that Trump offered to get her on The Apprentice and to help her cheat to stay on longer.


So if I understand you correctly, he cheated on Melania with Stormy Daniels, and he cheated Stormy Daniels by promising her to get her on The Apprentice, which he didn't, and he also promised her to help her cheat, which would have cheated the viewers, who probably wouldn't suspect the show to be rigged.
Is it as simple as that?! :)

Giordano 10th December 2018 10:24 AM

This site is a great summary of the easy come/easy go appointments in the Trump administration. An amazingly long list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...l_appointments

Should we have a fractional point system for this thread in which "survivors" who back out before actually beginning the position (such as Ayers) are scored 0.25, those employed for less than a week are scored 0.50, and those whose appointments last less than a month are scored 0.75? Somehow I think that only those who last more than a month deserve a full 1.0 as a survivor, although I do not view that 1.0 as a positive measure of their character or integrity.

Stacyhs 10th December 2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 12529800)
So if I understand you correctly, he cheated on Melania with Stormy Daniels, and he cheated Stormy Daniels by promising her to get her on The Apprentice, which he didn't, and he also promised her to help her cheat, which would have cheated the viewers, who probably wouldn't suspect the show to be rigged.
Is it as simple as that?! :)

Pretty much.

Quote:

Daniels says that Trump said he would get the show's challenges to her ahead of time so that she would have a leg-up on other contestants. The porn actress also says Trump's repeated promises to get her on the show is what kept her taking his calls. Once he admitted that he wouldn't be able to get her on the show, Daniels says she ceased communication.
(Hollywood Reporter)

dudalb 10th December 2018 05:55 PM

Nick Ayers, Pence's COS and favorite to replace Kelly, says he does not want the job,
Gotta admit, Ayers showed very good judgement in not wanting to walk into the snake pit.

Trebuchet 10th December 2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12530273)
Nick Ayers, Pence's COS and favorite to replace Kelly, says he does not want the job,
Gotta admit, Ayers showed very good judgement in not wanting to walk into the snake pit.

He'll get the job after impeachment and conviction, with less stress.

Norman Alexander 10th December 2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12530273)
Nick Ayers, Pence's COS and favorite to replace Kelly, says he does not want the job,
Gotta admit, Ayers showed very good judgement in not wanting to walk into the snake pit.

He knows he will get to be the President's CoS possibly soon by just staying where he is. ;)

The Great Zaganza 10th December 2018 07:07 PM

Ayers might be playing hard to get to wring concessions out of Trump.

Giordano 10th December 2018 08:49 PM

Probably the most pitiful thing I heard today was Meadows wildly waving his and vigorously announcing that he would be available and would be honored if he was appointed as Whitehouse Chief of Staff.

It is bad enough to agree to take the unsavory and IMO immoral job as Trump's enabler if pressured to do so as a service to your country. It is beyond my comprehension to beg for it.

Foolmewunz 10th December 2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12530326)
He knows he will get to be the President's CoS possibly soon by just staying where he is. ;)

He's leaving Pence's staff, too. Taking that midnight train to Georgia. He'll run his PAC and consulting business and stay clear of the admin. Ayers is a moving target. He doesn't sit still long enough for any flak to adhere to him. Getting clear of the cesspit on Pennsylvania Avenue is probably typical of him. He touted as this great thinker but I think he's a great self-promoter. Look for him to run for Governor or Senator in coming years. He sees himself not as a kingmaker but a king.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12530352)
Ayers might be playing hard to get to wring concessions out of Trump.

I don't think so. Their irreconcilable condition was that Ayers insisted on only serving a year. Someone with a brain pointed out to Donnie that the last thing he needs is a schedule let's all shoot ourselves in the feets festival in another 12 months. He needs someone who will stay out the term to 2020.

Norman Alexander 10th December 2018 09:49 PM

Why can't Donnie do what he has done for many ambassadorships and departmental heads: Don't bother filling the position at all. He takes zero notice of his CoS anyway - it's just a whipping-boy position for him, or perhaps her thinks it's a personal coffee-fetcher. Anyway, it's clear Donny doesn't actually want a CoS at all. Perhaps one of the table lamps in the Oval could be promoted??

https://www.cheatsheet.com/wp-conten...ce-couches.jpg

a_unique_person 10th December 2018 10:45 PM

Should he be considering the equine solution.

Foolmewunz 10th December 2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12530498)
Why can't Donnie do what he has done for many ambassadorships and departmental heads: Don't bother filling the position at all. He takes zero notice of his CoS anyway - it's just a whipping-boy position for him, or perhaps her thinks it's a personal coffee-fetcher. Anyway, it's clear Donny doesn't actually want a CoS at all. Perhaps one of the table lamps in the Oval could be promoted??

https://www.cheatsheet.com/wp-conten...ce-couches.jpg

I personally hope he goes with one his lesser lights just to add to the comedy. Judge Roy from Alabama must be looking for paying job. How about Sheriff Dave from Milwaukee? He nominated himself for several positions that were never actually offered to him. Maybe he could just nominate himself as CoS. Or Devin The Midnight Marauder. He'd fit right in.

The Great Zaganza 11th December 2018 12:00 AM

Why couldn't a Chief of staff work out of a prison?
Or better yet, declare the White House Grounds to be a Federal Penitentiary.
That would give Trump access to a large pool of candidates and safe us all a lot of time.

dann 11th December 2018 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12530002)
Pretty much.
Quote:

Daniels says that Trump said he would get the show's challenges to her ahead of time so that she would have a leg-up on other contestants.
(Hollywood Reporter)


I can see how getting a leg-up would give her as a professional an unfair advantage in most contests: (Fairly innocent article and photo, but maybe not safe for work, w24.co.za, Feb. 12, 2010)

Norman Alexander 11th December 2018 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_unique_person (Post 12530520)
Should he be considering the equine solution.

...Caligula, yes?

Doubt 11th December 2018 11:36 AM

Stormy Daniels should be the new Chief of Staff.

She can stand up for herself to Trump's BS. (See any current events about her.)
She can enforce discipline when required. (She literally spanked Trump.)
She has a demonstrated ability to compromise to achieve a goal. (See the entire porn industry.)
She can pretend that everything is normal when nothing really is. (Ever seen a porn flick?)

dudalb 11th December 2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubt (Post 12531077)
Stormy Daniels should be the new Chief of Staff.

She can stand up for herself to Trump's BS. (See any current events about her.)
She can enforce discipline when required. (She literally spanked Trump.)
She has a demonstrated ability to compromise to achieve a goal. (See the entire porn industry.)
She can pretend that everything is normal when nothing really is. (Ever seen a porn flick?)

Hey, I think Stormy would be a lot more competent then a lot of the people in the Trump White House.

CORed 14th December 2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12530352)
Ayers might be playing hard to get to wring concessions out of Trump.

I wouldn't take the job as Trump's chief of staff (not that I'm remotely qualified) for a millions bucks a day and all the interns I could ****.

Hellbound 14th December 2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CORed (Post 12534771)
I wouldn't take the job as Trump's chief of staff (not that I'm remotely qualified) for a millions bucks a day and all the interns I could ****.

I dunno, that's getting into the ballpark for a salary I'd consider...

:)

Giordano 14th December 2018 11:40 AM

In fast moving news this AM, Chris Christie's name hit the news as possibly under consideration for next Chief-of-Staff, only to have him quickly and publicly decline any interest in the position.

Given Chris Christie's intense desire for a White House position immediately after Trump's election, the change in his views represent a remarkable recognition of what allying oneself with Trump now means. Christie: smarter and less desparate than I thought.

jnelso99 14th December 2018 11:50 AM

So much for “friends and relatives” for CoS...it’s just down to “relatives” now.

ETA: “Hey Bart? Brad? No...Baron (that’s it)! You want a job?”

Trebuchet 14th December 2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CORed (Post 12534771)
I wouldn't take the job as Trump's chief of staff (not that I'm remotely qualified) for a millions bucks a day and all the interns I could ****.

Not being remotely qualified is a key qualification for any position in the Trump administration.

dudalb 14th December 2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giordano (Post 12534781)
In fast moving news this AM, Chris Christie's name hit the news as possibly under consideration for next Chief-of-Staff, only to have him quickly and publicly decline any interest in the position.

Given Chris Christie's intense desire for a White House position immediately after Trump's election, the change in his views represent a remarkable recognition of what allying oneself with Trump now means. Christie: smarter and less desparate than I thought.

With Christie, it's a case of a rat refusing to get on a sinking ship.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-24, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.