IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags elections , house of representatives

Old 15th February 2023, 01:17 PM   #601
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Not just seriously but almost completely literally. By the book, and nothing else.
Which, ironically, is them making a point of not having a personal moral compass. Especially given a complex often ambiguous text.

Textualism means never having to say you're sorry. It's not me wanting to beat my children. It's that darned bible verse you see....
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2023, 01:47 PM   #602
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
For me, I tend to see groups like the Amish, old order Mennonite and Hutterites as deeply rooted in Christianity; people who take the Bible their faith seriously. So it comes as a surprise when I see them acting like every other group of human beings and ignoring the tenets of their faith.
I don't understand why that should come as any surprise.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2023, 03:20 PM   #603
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I am reminded of a friend long ago wha grew up in an area surrounded by " black bumper" Mennonites. A schism that allows modern machinery, but still eschews ornament. So they strip their cars of chrome and paint the bumpers and grilles black. But that did not stop them from one upping their neighbors by buying bigger more expensive black cars. No matter how much paint you apply, a black Lincoln beats a black Ford.

Perhaps one of the down sides of living according to strict literalism is that what isn't in the text isn't anywhere - a variation of the dodge so often seen in political arguments that if you do not say a thing explicitly you can insinuate anything.
I can see that. There's nothing in the Bible against running puppy mills, so one can conclude it's an acceptable operation.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't understand why that should come as any surprise.
Well, it was a surprise for me because I once viewed humans as a relatively gentle species, with the huge majority just wanting to get along with each other. I also viewed Christians, with their emphasis on honesty, piety, love (which I correlated with empathy)and humility as offering the best humans could do.

Then I started following politics and watching public affairs programming on CBC and PBS. It turns out a lot of humans have sociopathic tendencies. They worm their way into positions of power, where they freely ignore things like honesty, humility, and empathy.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2023, 04:35 PM   #604
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I can see that. There's nothing in the Bible against running puppy mills, so one can conclude it's an acceptable operation.
There's nothing in the Bible about not eating your own crap like dogs do, either. Puppy mills are cruel but some people don't care as long as they make money.

Quote:
Well, it was a surprise for me because I once viewed humans as a relatively gentle species, with the huge majority just wanting to get along with each other. I also viewed Christians, with their emphasis on honesty, piety, love (which I correlated with empathy)and humility as offering the best humans could do.
Oh, my...not a student of history, I take it?

Quote:
Then I started following politics and watching public affairs programming on CBC and PBS. It turns out a lot of humans have sociopathic tendencies. They worm their way into positions of power, where they freely ignore things like honesty, humility, and empathy.
That will take the blinders off fast! The reason we have to have laws is because people aren't a relatively gentle species that wants to get along with each other. We are greedy, selfish, and violent by nature. We try to curb those human traits because we'd destroy ourselves if we didn't. And we fail repeatedly and often.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2023, 05:12 PM   #605
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

For me, I tend to see groups like the Amish, old order Mennonite and Hutterites as deeply rooted in Christianity; people who take the Bible their faith seriously. So it comes as a surprise when I see them acting like every other group of human beings and ignoring the tenets of their faith.
The bible is so full of contradictions that ignoring parts of it is necessary.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2023, 06:43 PM   #606
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The bible is so full of contradictions that ignoring parts of it is necessary.
I ignore the whole thing.
Old 17th February 2023, 07:12 PM   #607
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I ignore the whole thing.
I don't quite. After all, there are some bits worth at least thinking about. It is fallacious in an argument to cherry pick, but if you are just out and about and in the mood for cherries, you might as well pick the good ones.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2023, 07:30 PM   #608
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't quite. After all, there are some bits worth at least thinking about. It is fallacious in an argument to cherry pick, but if you are just out and about and in the mood for cherries, you might as well pick the good ones.
The bits worth thinking about really have nothing to do with religion. They're just commonly accepted social rules.
Old 17th February 2023, 08:14 PM   #609
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The bits worth thinking about really have nothing to do with religion. They're just commonly accepted social rules.
True enough, but there they are, sometimes rather nicely put at times. Besides, keeping track of some of the good bits can be handy when arguing with the growing number of self-identified Christians who see and believe only the bad ones.

One of my fondest childhood memories (I think I was about 10 or 11) is of a time when a fundie evangelist (probably a Jehovah's Witness) came to the door and confronted my mother with chapter and verse, and she, not an atheist but a relative skeptic who knew her Bible well, countered everything he said with contrary Bible passages from memory. By the end, red-faced and literally in tears, he strode down the garden path yelling of her wickedness and her sure destiny of damnation. We were not bothered by evangelists for a long time after.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2023, 10:43 PM   #610
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

True enough, but there they are, sometimes rather nicely put at times. Besides, keeping track of some of the good bits can be handy when arguing with the growing number of self-identified Christians who see and believe only the bad ones.

One of my fondest childhood memories (I think I was about 10 or 11) is of a time when a fundie evangelist (probably a Jehovah's Witness) came to the door and confronted my mother with chapter and verse, and she, not an atheist but a relative skeptic who knew her Bible well, countered everything he said with contrary Bible passages from memory. By the end, red-faced and literally in tears, he strode down the garden path yelling of her wickedness and her sure destiny of damnation. We were not bothered by evangelists for a long time after.
On of the things I really miss about my ex...

She was well into a 'divinity' degree when I first met her, so when missionaries (of any religion) appeared at the door, I'd say: "Hang on a minute." and summon her.

(I now like the idea that I'd need to perform a 'summoning' but I digress...)

Generally I didn't stick around to here the conversation, but I distinctly remember hearing:

"Oh dear, don't you know that your sect is based on a mistranslation?"

Followed by some old testament Greek...
Old 17th February 2023, 11:39 PM   #611
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'd have paid to see that!

We have Mormon missionaries come to our door sometimes. My husband, who had himself officially removed from LDS membership as soon as he was of age, just looks at them and say, "Boys, you've come to the wroooooong house." When they find out he's an 'apostate' they disappear fast.
Old 18th February 2023, 02:55 AM   #612
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
On of the things I really miss about my ex...

She was well into a 'divinity' degree when I first met her, so when missionaries (of any religion) appeared at the door, I'd say: "Hang on a minute." and summon her.

(I now like the idea that I'd need to perform a 'summoning' but I digress...)

Generally I didn't stick around to here the conversation, but I distinctly remember hearing:

"Oh dear, don't you know that your sect is based on a mistranslation?"

Followed by some old testament Greek...
The Septuagint itself is a bad mistranslation. Hence why christianity has the "virgin" Mary.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2023, 04:35 PM   #613
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
The Septuagint itself is a bad mistranslation. Hence why christianity has the "virgin" Mary.
Indeed, I'm fairly sure that would have been what she was referring to.

The mistranslation of 'young woman' to 'virgin' (because there was no equivalent word in 'marketplace Greek')

Apologies if I don't have the details right, it was a long time ago.

NB. Calling Catholics a 'sect' while probably technically correct, seems a bit mean to me.
Old 18th February 2023, 10:06 PM   #614
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Catholics don't proselytise door to door though, surely? I thought that was just Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.
Old 18th February 2023, 10:51 PM   #615
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Catholics don't proselytise door to door though, surely? I thought that was just Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.
True, they seem to prefer legislation.

Old 18th February 2023, 11:03 PM   #616
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Catholics began as the default Jesus religion. Then came the Protestants. Still, neither went door to door to compete.

JWs were the first to go door to door (IIRC) followed by the Mormons on their 'missions'. Evangelicals chose marketing and mega-churches, but they eventually took up door to door in Latin America and elsewhere.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2023, 01:32 AM   #617
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

I see you've never been asked to mind the local child of Prague, contribute to the church upkeep fund or many of the other things that the local catholic fundamentalists round here do to try and get the foot in the door.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2023, 04:49 PM   #618
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I may be in an unusual area that has a few different faiths, all of which try to recruit, particularly because of the mix of backgrounds of the people here.

(Note I had a long reply here about my local area based on my experiences running for a seat here, all deleted because it is really off topic.)
Old 21st February 2023, 02:58 AM   #619
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

**** (organic fertilizer) -birds of a feather flock together.

Piers Morgan interviews George Santos during which time Santos says he's a terrible liar but didn't mean to trick people

Quote:
Congressman George Santos has admitted to having been "a terrible liar" when confronted with his embellished resume in a new TV interview.

The embattled Republican told TalkTV's Piers Morgan he had made mistakes under pressure but his lies were not about "tricking the people".

Instead, he said, it was about "getting accepted by the party here locally".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64712914

I'm not entirely clear why telling lies to "get accepted locally" isn't the same as tricking people.

He has however learned from the masters just to brazen out certain lies:

Quote:
Challenged over a claim that his mother was in the South Tower of the World Trade Centre in New York City on 9/11, Mr Santos said: "That's true."

"I won't debate my mother's life as she's passed in [2016] and it's quite insensitive to try to rehash my mother's legacy," he said.

He added: "She wasn't one to mislead me... I stay convinced that's the truth."
ISTM that he's throwing his dear departed mum under the bus with this one.

I don't want to watch the interview on the grounds that I don't want to provide Piers Morgan with any views but I presume that he pitched a series of softballs to keep his employers happy.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2023, 03:09 AM   #620
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
**** (organic fertilizer) -birds of a feather flock together.

Piers Morgan interviews George Santos during which time Santos says he's a terrible liar but didn't mean to trick people

I'm not entirely clear why telling lies to "get accepted locally" isn't the same as tricking people.

He has however learned from the masters just to brazen out certain lies:

ISTM that he's throwing his dear departed mum under the bus with this one.

I don't want to watch the interview on the grounds that I don't want to provide Piers Morgan with any views but I presume that he pitched a series of softballs to keep his employers happy.
Considering that Santos' lie was that his mother died in the 11/9/2021 attacks that's an extremely stupid way to throw his mother under the bus. Any serious journalist would have followed that up with "and when did you become suspicious about your mother telling you she died in the Twin Towers, 2002 or later?"

Lucky for Santos he was dealing with Piers Moron.
Old 21st February 2023, 04:12 AM   #621
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of people have sussed that there's a simpler response to Santos: Anything he says will be a lie. So why Piers Morgan had to interview him to reconfirm that is...equally silly.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2023, 05:12 AM   #622
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Considering that Santos' lie was that his mother died in the 11/9/2021 attacks that's an extremely stupid way to throw his mother under the bus. Any serious journalist would have followed that up with "and when did you become suspicious about your mother telling you she died in the Twin Towers, 2002 or later?"

Lucky for Santos he was dealing with Piers Moron.
He seems to have amended his story, she didn't die on September 11 2001, but she was there.

Quote:
Challenged over a claim that his mother was in the South Tower of the World Trade Centre in New York City on 9/11, Mr Santos said: "That's true."

"I won't debate my mother's life as she's passed in [2016] and it's quite insensitive to try to rehash my mother's legacy," he said.

As you say, any real journalist would point out the change in story but perhaps Santos would counter with a suggestion that his mother died in 2016 as a result of being in the South Tower on 11 September 2001.

I suppose it's pointless to discuss any single lie in this context given that's all he seems to do, to lie.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2023, 05:14 AM   #623
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of people have sussed that there's a simpler response to Santos: Anything he says will be a lie. So why Piers Morgan had to interview him to reconfirm that is...equally silly.
Piers Morgan interviewed him to attract attention and viewers to his media channel(s). That's the primary concern of all media, to attract viewers and hence revenue. For some media outlets an unbiased presentation of the most accurate facts they can determine is the route they choose to achieve that. Others need to rely on more sensational content and/or pushing a particular editorial line.
Old 21st February 2023, 03:51 PM   #624
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
He seems to have amended his story, she didn't die on September 11 2001, but she was there.

As you say, any real journalist would point out the change in story but perhaps Santos would counter with a suggestion that his mother died in 2016 as a result of being in the South Tower on 11 September 2001.

I suppose it's pointless to discuss any single lie in this context given that's all he seems to do, to lie.
Any real journalist would have pointed out that Santos' mother wasn't even in the US on 9/11:

Quote:
The immigration records, unearthed through a Freedom of Information Act request by genealogical researcher Alex Calzareth and first reported by The Washington Post, show that Santos’ mother, Fatima Caruso Devolder, was admitted to the U.S. in April 2003 and had not been in the country since 1999. She had been living in Rio de Janeiro.
Old 21st February 2023, 04:39 PM   #625
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

People seem to think confronting him will have an effect. In reality people with true pathological lying have no insight into their problem even when confronted by the obvious. So it's natural he'd just make up more lies to explain/excuse the original lies.

And that's just what Santos did. He needs a psychiatrist, not a news interview. Of course an idiot like Piers has no clue. He probably thought it would make good TV to pin Georgie down in an interview.

It was sad.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st February 2023 at 05:13 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2023, 05:26 PM   #626
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
People seem to think confronting him will have an effect. In reality people with true pathological lying have no insight into their problem even when confronted by the obvious. So it's natural he'd just make up more lies to explain/excuse the original lies.

And that's just what Santos did. He needs a psychiatrist, not a news interview. Of course an idiot like Piers has no clue. He probably thought it would make good TV to pin Georgie down in an interview.

It was sad.
Thing is, Moron and Santos are birds of a feather. They are both pathological liars. Moron likely brought Santos on to give moral support to his poor maligned brother.
Old 21st February 2023, 06:13 PM   #627
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don
Piers Morgan interviewed him to attract attention and viewers to his media channel(s). That's the primary concern of all media, to attract viewers and hence revenue. For some media outlets an unbiased presentation of the most accurate facts they can determine is the route they choose to achieve that. Others need to rely on more sensational content and/or pushing a particular editorial line.
Oh, that's a given. About the only thing Piers M is good at is trying to generate controversy. He's an attention-whore as much as his interviewees.

It was sad.
As I said in my post: It was silly. And yes, sad.

Thing is, Moron and Santos are birds of a feather. They are both pathological liars. Moron likely brought Santos on to give moral support to his poor maligned brother.
And attract Likes and clicks. I'm sure Piers would staple his dick to the desk live on camera if it got ratings.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2023, 01:20 AM   #628
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It was sad.
I agree. Santos is a pathological liar. He can't help lying any more than Trump can. It's just part of who they are, like an arm or leg.
Old 22nd February 2023, 01:34 AM   #629
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

"I'm sure Piers would staple his dick to the desk live on camera if it got ratings."

Ok...you owe me a cup of coffee.

Old 22nd February 2023, 08:45 PM   #630
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Rally on the eve

The Economist's columnist for the U.S. "Lexington" wrote in the 21-27 January issue that George Santos addressed a rally on 5 January 2021. Santos claimed that both his election and the presidential election were stolen. At one point Mr. Santos said, "You can't make this stuff up." Lexington goes on to quote from Sissela Bok's book "Lying: Moral Choice in Public and Private Life."

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 22nd February 2023 at 08:49 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2023, 03:39 PM   #631
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

House Ethics commitee will investigage Santos.
IMHO I think some of the powers that b e in the GOP have told Mccarthy that Santos is hurting the GOP as a whole, and he needs to be gotten rid of.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:20 PM   #632
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
House Ethics commitee will investigage Santos.
IMHO I think some of the powers that b e in the GOP have told Mccarthy that Santos is hurting the GOP as a whole, and he needs to be gotten rid of.
He's hardly the only one, nor, possibly, the worst. Perhaps this is an "encouragement" for the Boebert/Greene/Gaetz crowd that now is a good time to shut the hell up and sit the hell down.
Old 3rd March 2023, 01:21 AM   #633
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He's hardly the only one, nor, possibly, the worst. Perhaps this is an "encouragement" for the Boebert/Greene/Gaetz crowd that now is a good time to shut the hell up and sit the hell down.
That'll be a cold day in Hell.
Old 3rd March 2023, 01:41 AM   #634
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Carnival Barkers never do that!!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2023, 02:24 AM   #635
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

That'll be a cold day in Hell.
True. Even when they get tossed out on their arse, they won't shut up.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Carnival Barkers never do that!!
I like the circus reference! 5 points to Gryffindor.
Old 3rd March 2023, 09:03 AM   #636
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Not even the extremist MAGA base like George Santos. That's the only reason he's finally in investigation.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2023, 09:09 AM   #637
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'll put the Santos "Any day now counter" on the board, right below Gatz, which is right below Trump.
Old 3rd March 2023, 09:16 AM   #638
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
"Sure, he's a horrible, miserable, lying little creep, but he's OUR horrible, miserable, lying little creep, okay?"
Old 3rd March 2023, 11:02 AM   #639
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Not even the extremist MAGA base like George Santos. That's the only reason he's finally in investigation.
Yes, investigation by a House ethics committee, composed mainly, of course, of his fellow Republicans, which means that they will have to weigh whether he's bad enough to be of no more use to them, and how many more creepy crawlies will be discovered if they lift the rock.

It might just be that he's so bad and so superfluous that he'll even be thrown out of the Liars' Club, but even then it's likely to be more about style than content, and I am still not holding my breath.

Old 3rd March 2023, 01:09 PM   #640
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I agree. Santo's fate is tied to whether or not he's deemed useful or harmful to the republican party. They don't actually care about the "ethics" of it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics