IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags elections , house of representatives

Old 3rd March 2023, 01:57 PM   #641
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The GOP and McCarthy in particular need his vote. So Santos can lie his arse off throughout all his waking hours, just so long as he stays in the House. This "ethics committee" is just performative.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2023, 02:02 PM   #642
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The GOP and McCarthy in particular need his vote. So Santos can lie his arse off throughout all his waking hours, just so long as he stays in the House. This "ethics committee" is just performative.
I disagree. I think they would not have even brought this before the ethcis commitee unless some powerful people in the GOP thought that Santos was hurting the party overall.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2023, 02:08 PM   #643
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I disagree. I think they would not have even brought this before the ethcis commitee unless some powerful people in the GOP thought that Santos was hurting the party overall.
Agreed, he is definitely hurting them and needs an ethics review. But I expect he will get a stern finger-wagging, a performative rap on the knuckles, and sent back into the House effectively scot-free.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2023, 05:23 PM   #644
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

No, they don't need him anymore. He did his 'job' voting for McCarthy but the GOP still has 10 more reps than the Dems. They can afford to appear to be ethical but putting pressure on him to resign or to bring a vote to expel him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2023, 05:42 PM   #645
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but he won't be removed. He might be censured. That would give the GOP some cover.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2023, 12:11 AM   #646
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
No, they don't need him anymore. He did his 'job' voting for McCarthy but the GOP still has 10 more reps than the Dems. They can afford to appear to be ethical but putting pressure on him to resign or to bring a vote to expel him.
That's the point. Look like they are doing something but not really.

And losing a House vote could easily lead to an even slimmer majority for the GOP: If Santos' replacement (I understand there needs to be a "special election"?) is a Dem, that's the loss of two votes, not one.
Old 4th March 2023, 03:09 PM   #647
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And losing a House vote could easily lead to an even slimmer majority for the GOP: If Santos' replacement (I understand there needs to be a "special election"?) is a Dem, that's the loss of two votes, not one.
Could they afford to lose a couple votes? They could if they were really being ethical. But, they're not. It's all a dog and pony show.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2023, 05:20 PM   #648
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

All of this presumes they simply don't care about broadening their appeal beyond their core voters. I'm not sure that's a good long-term strategy.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2023, 06:31 PM   #649
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Could they afford to lose a couple votes? They could if they were really being ethical. But, they're not. It's all a dog and pony show.
Perhaps I should have been clearer, in case I wasn't: By "losing a vote" I mean permanent ejection from Congress and replacement by a newly-elected member.

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
All of this presumes they simply don't care about broadening their appeal beyond their core voters. I'm not sure that's a good long-term strategy.
But the overall GOP majority in Congress is pretty slim now. A few "good men" Republicans voting with the Dems can easily change what legislation gets passed and what does not. If Santos is replaced with a Dem, that margin is considerably closer again, and thus a boil-over of legislation is more feasible. Then it won't matter if the MAGA core are true to their base or not. They will lose.
Old 4th March 2023, 06:56 PM   #650
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps I should have been clearer, in case I wasn't: By "losing a vote" I mean permanent ejection from Congress and replacement by a newly-elected member.

But the overall GOP majority in Congress is pretty slim now. A few "good men" Republicans voting with the Dems can easily change what legislation gets passed and what does not. If Santos is replaced with a Dem, that margin is considerably closer again, and thus a boil-over of legislation is more feasible. Then it won't matter if the MAGA core are true to their base or not. They will lose.
You were clear.

If they lost Santos and gained a Dem vote in election, there are still enough GOP votes in the House to virtually guarantee control. The more independent and ethical GOP members lost their bid for re-election or chose not to run again.
Old 4th March 2023, 07:15 PM   #651
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Of course you don't need a long term strategy if your short term strategy is to destroy democracy.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2023, 01:56 PM   #652
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidax...ored-tractors/

These don't have much firepower (twin 14.5mm machine guns) and what looks like a very high profile.

They look like desperation.

Quote:
The Russian army is welding 80-year-old gun mounts, originally built to arm patrol boats, onto 70-year-old armored tractors—and sending them to Ukraine to get captured by the Ukrainian army.
Quote:
The first of these weirdo MT-LBs started showing up in Ukraine last month. On or before Feb. 3, Ukrainian forces in Vuhledar captured from hapless Russian brigades a 13-ton, two-crew MT-LB sporting a 2M-7 gunboat turret.

The 2M-7 is an over-under pair of 14.5-millimeter machine guns behind a steel shield. It entered service with Soviet forces in 1945.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2023, 02:26 PM   #653
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidax...ored-tractors/

These don't have much firepower (twin 14.5mm machine guns) and what looks like a very high profile.

They look like desperation.
You posted in the wrong thread.
Old 5th March 2023, 04:49 PM   #654
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You posted in the wrong thread.
Yeah, but trying to find the connection to Santos was a nice distraction.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2023, 04:57 PM   #655
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Easy: Santos was a spy for Ukraine behind Russian lines reporting what weapons they possess. He kept it on the down low to protect his contacts. Most people don't know this about him.
Old 5th March 2023, 06:36 PM   #656
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

If he heard about them he'd probably have claimed to invented them.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2023, 07:26 PM   #657
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Close. My understanding is that Santos claims to have invented inventions.
Old 6th March 2023, 04:26 AM   #658
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Easy: Santos was a spy for Ukraine behind Russian lines reporting what weapons they possess. He kept it on the down low to protect his contacts. Most people don't know this about him.
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Oh, there's a connection...

https://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/2023/02/19
Old 6th March 2023, 07:52 AM   #659
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Senator Jon "not intended as a factual statement" Kyl seems so quaint in retrospect.
Old 6th March 2023, 11:37 AM   #660
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Gold! Pure Gold!!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2023, 11:48 AM   #661
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Comedy Correction™ - Santos claims to have invented inventing.

Better.
Old 10th March 2023, 04:30 AM   #662
chrispy
Graduate Poster

100% the grift that keeps on grifting. Wait until you guys read this doozy. This guy really is amazing. A pure unabashed conman.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...-feds-00086417
Old 10th March 2023, 04:41 AM   #663
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You lot are so harsh - there he was trying to be an entrepreneur in the tech field and you paint it as if it is a negative. So much for the American Dream™!
Old 11th March 2023, 07:33 PM   #664
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
100% the grift that keeps on grifting. Wait until you guys read this doozy. This guy really is amazing. A pure unabashed conman.

That's certainly more than an out of the blue accusation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2023, 10:29 PM   #665
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post

I saw his act on CNN when he got ambushed by a reporter. Even if his claim that he called the FBI and helped break up the credit card theft ring is true, that's still bad. It's not like he was getting gas, saw someone put a skimmer on the card reader at a pump and called the police. You don't have the level of detail he claimed to have provided without a lot of knowledge of the crime. Like, more knowledge than someone completely unconnected to the crime would have.
Old 12th March 2023, 01:52 AM   #666
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I saw his act on CNN when he got ambushed by a reporter. Even if his claim that he called the FBI and helped break up the credit card theft ring is true, that's still bad. It's not like he was getting gas, saw someone put a skimmer on the card reader at a pump and called the police. You don't have the level of detail he claimed to have provided without a lot of knowledge of the crime. Like, more knowledge than someone completely unconnected to the crime would have.
Good point. I'd think the FBI would be able to clear this up easily.

In this video, Santo denies Trelha was ever rented a room in his house and said he'd seen Trelha "maybe couple time in my life". But he appeared in court on Trelha's behalf and claimed he was a "family friend". He also told the judge he worked at Goldman Sachs which is a lie, too.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Hmmmm...whom to believe....whom to believe....
Old 14th March 2023, 01:44 PM   #667
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

George files for re-election.
Quote:
Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.), the embattled freshman facing multiple investigations for his false claims and possible campaign finance violations, filed paperwork Tuesday indicating that he intends to seek reelection.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ion-paperwork/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2023, 01:45 PM   #668
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Hope springs eternal.

And George really is stupid.
Old 14th March 2023, 10:20 PM   #669
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Here's why:

Quote:
By filing the paperwork, known as a statement of candidacy, with the Federal Election Commission, Santos can raise money for a prospective campaign. The funds also could be used to pay back the $700,000 he lent to his 2022 campaign and for legal fees connected to the investigations he is facing.
It's a Trump-grift!!
Old 15th March 2023, 10:05 AM   #670
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Until now, Randy Rainbow hasn't had Santos as a main character in his videos:
Life's a F***ing Fantasy for Santos - A Randy Rainbow Parody (on YouTube, Mar 15, 2023)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2023, 11:01 AM   #671
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Life's a F***ing Fantasy for Santos - A Randy Rainbow Parody (on YouTube, Mar 15, 2023)

I AGREE
Randy does his usual great job. I especially like the Georgy Gurl spoof.
Old 16th March 2023, 12:36 AM   #672
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Too bad this story arrived only three hours ago:
Bannon's billionaire yacht buddy arrested; Santos yacht deal eyed by investigators (MSNBC on YouTube, Mar 16, 2023)
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2023, 03:54 PM   #673
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Randy does his usual great job. I especially like the Georgy Gurl spoof.
Just came here to post that

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2023, 05:04 PM   #674
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I AGREE
Oh my, I haven't laughed so hard since some of the 'Jib-Jab' stuff, particularly 'this land'.
Old 24th March 2023, 12:07 PM   #675
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Prosecutors accept deal with George Santos in Brazilian fraud case (CNN, Mar 24, 2023)
Old 24th March 2023, 05:10 PM   #676
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So he's admitting he's a thief. Now to get him to admit he's a pathological liar.
Old 24th March 2023, 05:22 PM   #677
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Well if he says he's a pathological liar, can you trust that's the truth?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2023, 05:33 PM   #678
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Well if he says he's a pathological liar, can you trust that's the truth?
That particular admission? Yes.
Old 24th March 2023, 05:33 PM   #679
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think behind closed doors the Dems sort of like having Santos around. A non stop embarassment for the GOP.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2023, 06:02 PM   #680
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think behind closed doors the Dems sort of like having Santos around. A non stop embarassment for the GOP.
CLOSED, hell!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics