IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags elon musk , twitter

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #1601
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Alas, Musk doesn't subscribe to this. But that doesn't deter fanboys from chanting a free speech mantra.
Right. And your proof is?
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #1602
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Elon Musk has declared his position on freedom of speech in a new X

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...EC5eq-blA&s=19

Laudable. I can't fault this. The problem is the speed with which the laws of the countries are eliminating such freedom. Ireland is a trail blazer.
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #1603
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Samson View Post

Laudable. I can't fault this. The problem is the speed with which the laws of the countries are eliminating such freedom. Ireland is a trail blazer.
Will you be addressing the comments made about your previous claims?
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #1604
angrysoba
Philosophile

I am not sure how that is enforced, and if it is enforced the way it sounds then it is not laudable.

Letís say he releases it in Saudi Arabia or India and the governments want opposition suppressed. Does he do that for the governments of those countries? If so, it is not laudable at all.

Hereís the thing, social media platforms donít need to have the same standards as governments. They need to allow exchange of ideas but stop the site becoming a sewer which will drive away the all but the most toxic posters.
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #1605
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I am not sure how that is enforced, and if it is enforced the way it sounds then it is not laudable.

Letís say he releases it in Saudi Arabia or India and the governments want opposition suppressed. Does he do that for the governments of those countries? If so, it is not laudable at all.

Hereís the thing, social media platforms donít need to have the same standards as governments. They need to allow exchange of ideas but stop the site becoming a sewer which will drive away the all but the most toxic posters.
I saw his post and thought it concise and no doubt carefully made. After posting I considered it is not as helpful as it seems, for reasons you suggest.
Still it is hardly accidental, so well worth considering in all its tautological glory.
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM   #1606
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Will you be addressing the comments made about your previous claims?
Will have to go back to check the discussion.
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #1607
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Too late for that. The lies are already out there and Twitter X can't stop them. 45% of the US wants these lies to be true. Another 45% wants a different set of lies to be true. Only about 10% are interested in the truth, wherever that sits.
Not really all that convinced here, really.

Assuming you recall correctly, those previous reviews obviously didn't do the job.
How could they do a job like that? Those not convinced are generally not convinced because they're not hearing what they want to hear. This pattern happens over and over and over. ACORN comes to mind as a prime example.
1. Heavily edited and misleading video hit job gets released.
2. Right wingers go crazy because it feeds their preferred narrative.
3. ACORN gets subjected to a huge number of independent investigations.
4. All investigations find that ACORN is innocent. That the video is dishonestly manipulated is also pretty well established.
5. ACORN got defunded anyways and right wingers can still be found repeating false narratives about it. The makers of the dishonestly manipulated video have been cited by right wingers on these forums as doing good work and being very credible a number of times for similar BS.

Hardly the only case like that, but that's pretty much what went on here, too. Thus, naturally, you blame the previous reviews, when their only fault was not pointedly lying and thus not telling the narrative promoters what they wanted to hear. This is not a mark in favor of your supposed support for truth or free speech.

BTW guess who are the most followed accounts on X?

#1. Elon Musk with 170 million followers
#2. Barack Obama with 132 million

#9. Donald J Trump 87 million

Unfortunately 70% of Musk's followers 'may be' bots, while Obama 'only' attracts 40%. So in terms of 'real' followers, Obama is probably the most 'popular' X account.

Hmm, seems X is not the den of MAGAts some people would have us believe (but even if it is, so what?).
Was this an attempt to address the point I made about how right wingers are given structural advantages, where I was referring to things like how the algorithms favored them even then, a strawman, or just some general tangent with little to do with what I said?

Last edited by Aridas; Yesterday at 03:04 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #1608
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Right. And your proof is?
Highly disingenuous, seeing as you already waved off incontrovertible evidence having to do with Media Matters. That's just one of several instances of Musk's free speech hypocrisy thatís been posted to this thread.
Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM   #1609
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Ah, the old " we can't be racist, we had a Black President?"
Argument.
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #1610
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Highly disingenuous, seeing as you already waved off incontrovertible evidence having to do with Media Matters. That's just one of several instances of Musk's free speech hypocrisy that’s been posted to this thread.
Here is the thing.
There are countless people with mainstream views that Jack Dorsey banned, then Elon Musk welcomed back.
He bought the company to allow main stream views back into the public discourse.
Raking the coals of the media matters debacle obfuscates the fundamental concerns of the free speech unions around the world. I am particularly interested in the New Zealand free speech union. They have prevented doxxings by fast and aggressive actions. It is vital that people in the internet age can be anonymous, because they are raising children which is expensive, and have mortgages that are expensive. Most people here float way above the common plebiscite with no mortal concerns.
Losing jobs because people violate Jack Dorseys rules is a slug in the guts, and destroys families.

Last edited by Samson; Today at 12:03 AM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:06 AM   #1611
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

That will be a no then.
Old Today, 01:53 AM   #1612
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That will be a no then.
I am not agile.
Is this addressed to me?
Old Today, 02:40 AM   #1613
Wudang
BOFH

Have you managed to identify any specific issues in the Media Matters report yet?
Old Today, 02:47 AM   #1614
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Have you managed to identify any specific issues in the Media Matters report yet?
I am looking mid level, where the bodies are buried.
Media Matters is communism. Musk is opposed.
Old Today, 03:40 AM   #1615
Wudang
BOFH

What part of the report led you to the conclusion that Media Matters is "communism"?
Old Today, 03:57 AM   #1616
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Gosh, I'd HATE to grow up in a place where I get my food, clothes and education for free! Where someone else pays when I have to go to the doctor! A nightmare where I get free presents at Birthday and Christmas, and even Vacations, when I don't even work!
In some places, this Communist Dystopia is called a Family.
Old Today, 03:59 AM   #1617
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Hmm communists aren't to have free speech but Nazis are. You really do keep reinforcing your support for Nazis.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events