IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags RFK Jr.

Old 26th July 2023, 03:53 PM   #201
Hans
Philosopher

I predict as Kennedy continues on he'll become wilder and wilder - I think he's holding back
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2023, 03:55 PM   #202
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I predict as Kennedy continues on he'll become wilder and wilder - I think he's holding back
This would not surprise me one bit. Trump and DeSantis have done exactly that.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2023, 06:19 PM   #203
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

It's just like drug addiction, you need to keep taking more.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 05:25 AM   #204
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think he's really getting any crazier, it's just that he's never had this high of profile. He's been saying nutty stuff for years, but until now it's never had much traction outside the woo-woo community.

The coverage is sprinting to catch up with his body of work, and as time goes on the public learns more and more about his nutso positions, but I don't think he's changing much.
Old 29th July 2023, 08:10 AM   #205
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
I don't think he's really getting any crazier, it's just that he's never had this high of profile. He's been saying nutty stuff for years, but until now it's never had much traction outside the woo-woo community.

That's still the case. He still doesn't have traction outside the woo community. How could he? The new thing is that a majority of GOP members and voters have joined the woos.
A very short 'Worst-of-RFK-Jr.' video:
Quote:
The party that calls everything “fake news” are the biggest distributors of it. Who knew?
Perfect for DeSantis (The Lincoln Project, July 27, 2023 - 1:39 min.)
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The Lincoln Project - the Twiligh Zone version:
Quote:
Aliens,
Looking for intelligent life in the GOP? Keep looking.
Unintelligent Life (The Lincoln Project, July 29, 2023 - 1:11 min.)
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

(They don't appear to think of JFK Jr. as a Democrat.)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 29th July 2023 at 08:17 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2023, 04:49 AM   #206
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Junior tweeted about his application to get Secret Service security and whined about not getting it. Even thought it’s way too early in the election for security to be provided.

The tweet would have just been whining, but in listing number of days the numbers 14 and 88 were listed prominently. Yeah….
Old 30th July 2023, 08:06 AM   #207
Fidelio
Graduate Poster

Prediction. Trump will be elected President and this ******** will be his VP. It's bi-partisan doncha know.
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2023, 08:31 AM   #208
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
The tweet would have just been whining, but in listing number of days the numbers 14 and 88 were listed prominently. Yeah….
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...
Old 30th July 2023, 08:34 AM   #209
Venom
Philosopher

I can't wait for these anti-vax terrorists to drop dead. **** em all.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2023, 12:39 PM   #210
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...
RFK Jr.: “My enemies are watching everything that I say. …So I am very, very careful that any public statement that I make is sourced.”

But somehow that slipped by?
Old 30th July 2023, 01:12 PM   #211
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

RFK Jr.: “My enemies are watching everything that I say. …So I am very, very careful that any public statement that I make is sourced.”

Rather a revealing word to use. Not "those who disagree with me" but "my enemies".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2023, 04:18 PM   #212
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Junior tweeted about his application to get Secret Service security and whined about not getting it. Even thought it’s way too early in the election for security to be provided.

Clue me in. What's meant to be significant about 14 and 88?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2023, 04:45 PM   #213
HawksFan
Muse

88 stands for HH, or Heil Hitler. H being the 8th letter of the alphabet. Can't remember off the top of my head why 14 is significant but its along the same lines.
Old 30th July 2023, 06:14 PM   #214
dirtywick
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HawksFan View Post
88 stands for HH, or Heil Hitler. H being the 8th letter of the alphabet. Can't remember off the top of my head why 14 is significant but its along the same lines.
idk either but conspiracy nuts are really into numbers and symbology, which is why you know it's not a coincidence
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2023, 06:21 PM   #215
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

The 14 words of white supremacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words

There is evidence that the number in question was changed to 88 from the actual figure of 57. That cigar is looking like a phallic symbol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheMajority...t=2&utm_term=1
Old 30th July 2023, 06:24 PM   #216
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Wow. Trying to hide it by not trying to hide it.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2023, 10:50 PM   #217
dann
Penultimate Amazing

There are other numbers in the same tweet. And relevant information has been added about his complaint.

Quote:
Robert F. Kennedy Jr
@RobertKennedyJr
Since the assassination of my father in 1968, candidates for president are provided Secret Service protection. But not me.

Typical turnaround time for pro forma protection requests from presidential candidates is 14-days. After 88-days of no response and after several follow-ups by our campaign, the Biden Administration just denied our request. Secretary Mayorkas: "I have determined that Secret Service protection for Robert F Kennedy Jr is not warranted at this time."
Our campaign's request included a 67-page report from the world's leading protection firm, detailing unique and well established security and safety risks aside from commonplace death threats.

Quote:
Readers added context they thought people might want to know
Secret Service protection is only afforded to "major candidates" within a period of 120 days from the general election.

https://www.secretservice.gov/about/...ial%20election.

It is, at time of writing, it is 465 days until the general election, putting this request far out of range of the law.
2:51 PM · Jul 28, 2023 · 29.4M Views

I don't know why he thinks 14 days and 88 days should be hyphenated.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2023, 09:24 AM   #218
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Is that spelled correctly? Or should it be sauced?
Old 4th August 2023, 01:15 PM   #219
catsmate
No longer the 1

The 14 words of white supremacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words

There is evidence that the number in question was changed to 88 from the actual figure of 57. That cigar is looking like a phallic symbol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheMajority...t=2&utm_term=1
It always reminds me of Herbie Brennans' gamebooks.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2023, 01:21 PM   #220
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunately his sources are uniformly loons and conspiracy theorists.
Old 27th August 2023, 01:15 PM   #221
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Meet the Misfits Working to Elect RFK Jr.

Quote:
Kennedy’s campaign isn’t just uniting the fringes of the left and right—it’s enriching them, too.

Robert F. Kennedy’s quixotic, conspiracy-fueled bid for the Democratic nomination has ladled out tens of thousands of dollars on a clutch of failed GOP candidates, several high-profile anti-vaxxers, a “homeless” leftist, a Cambridge Analytica vet—and some good old-fashioned nepotism.

With ousted congressman and failed Ohio gubernatorial candidate Dennis Kucinich at the helm, the campaign has brought aboard a crew of oddballs with backgrounds in everything from granola pop spirituality to data harvesting and cryptocurrency, from leftist podcasting to Republican and even Libertarian Party politics.

And, of course, the campaign has also drawn staff from the extended Kennedy family and his accomplices in the anti-vaccine movement.

“I don’t judge people. Apparently you do,” Kucinich told The Daily Beast when questioned about the backgrounds and qualifications of the campaign’s staffers. “This is a campaign of people who love America, who want to save America from this situation that we’re in. If The Daily Beast thinks it’s going to smear them, it’s got another thing coming, I can tell you that.”

Here’s a round-up of the most unexpected—and unsurprising—figures on the receiving end of disbursements from the Kennedy campaign.
You can read the names of the motley crew of scumbags and how much they're getting paid.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."

Last edited by shemp; 27th August 2023 at 01:18 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2023, 10:09 AM   #222
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Vanity Fair's Joe Hagan details his new piece on Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and his White House bid.
'My head was spinning': Reporter reacts to RFK Jr.'s conspiracy theories (MSNBC on YouTube, Sep 28, 2023 - 11:43 min)
I AGREE

Robert Kennedy Jr.'s Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (VanityFair, Sep 28, 2023)
Old 28th September 2023, 10:38 AM   #223
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Meet the Misfits Working to Elect RFK Jr.

You can read the names of the motley crew of scumbags and how much they're getting paid.
Unfortunately I can't, because it's paywalled.
Old 28th September 2023, 11:23 AM   #224
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Unfortunately I can't, because it's paywalled.
Here are a few of them to get an idea of the quality of those he's hired:

Quote:
For Kennedy’s daughter-in-law, ex-CIA officer Amaryllis Fox Kennedy, RFK Jr’s operation has placed that rate at $21,263.27 in just the month of June. An article in Time asserted Fox Kennedy, wedded to the contender’s namesake son, has been running the campaign’s digital strategy. Fox did not respond to questions about her credentials for this role, or what kind of competitive interview and vetting process she underwent to obtain it.
Quote:
Charles Eisenstein

The New Age personality and best-selling author of such titles as Sacred Economics and The Yoga of Eating, known mainly for his lifestyle advice and eco-activism, decided during the pandemic that he was also an expert on public health policy and vaccines, and began dispensing advice and opprobrium on those topics as well.

Other outlets have reported that Eisenstein is working as an adviser to the campaign on messaging. But none yet has reported the price: $44,253.45 paid so far to the woo-woo guru’s company More Beautiful World LLC, despite Eisenstein’s longtime advocacy of a “gift economy.”
Quote:
Brittany Kaiser

Kennedy doled out $10,000 in June for “digital consulting” from a firm called Achayot Partners, which according to its anonymous one-page website “provides professional speaking and training on privacy, data protection and the use of blockchain technology.”

Materials filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission show Achayot Partners’ CEO and 50 percent owner is Brittany Kaiser, a former director at Cambridge Analytica, the 2016 Trump campaign vendor that harvested data from the social media profiles of millions of Americans. Kaiser has since reinvented herself as a whistleblower and online privacy advocate—the other half of Achayot Partners belongs to her sister Natalie, with whom Kaiser co-founded the nonprofit Own Your Own Data. Brittany has also developed an interest in cryptocurrency, which she’s reportedly used to funnel money to both WikiLeaks and Ukraine. Additionally, she now chairs a Bitcoin mining operation that claims to exclusively utilize green energy.
Quote:
Del Bigtree

One of the foremost purveyors of debunked theories linking vaccines to autism, Bigtree isn’t a doctor—but as a producer he has worked with people playing them on TV (and, yes, he actually cites this as a credential). Kennedy so far awarded Bigtree, known for wearing a Star of David to compare public inoculation campaigns to the Holocaust and pushing disinfo about the measles vaccine in the middle of a deadly outbreak, $13,550 for “communications consulting.”
Old 30th September 2023, 02:29 PM   #225
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

And now he is reportedly considering a run as an independent.

Of course the real question is whether he would draw more votes from Trump than Biden, given his apparent popularity among GOP voters.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2023, 03:30 PM   #226
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

Of course the real question is whether he would draw more votes from Trump than Biden, given his apparent popularity among GOP voters.
He can consider anything he likes. I doubt he can muster enough support to get on more than a couple state ballots.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2023, 11:54 AM   #227
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
He can consider anything he likes. I doubt he can muster enough support to get on more than a couple state ballots.
Like Ralph Nader in 2000, he can siphon off just enough liberal votes to give Trump the Presidency.
Old 1st October 2023, 11:59 AM   #228
dirtywick
Philosopher

when it comes to siphoning votes, the only people excited about him are conservatives
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2023, 01:15 PM   #229
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Like Ralph Nader in 2000, he can siphon off just enough liberal votes to give Trump the Presidency.
All he would siphon are nutjob anti-vax votes and those, unfortunately, come from both sides.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2023, 02:31 PM   #230
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
when it comes to siphoning votes, the only people excited about him are conservatives
Yeah. I am not kidding that his name was floated as a potential Trump running mate. By republicans.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2023, 11:53 PM   #231
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Well, actually he's ahead of Trump in the polls.

Harvard Harris Poll

On page fourteen, it lists Robert F. Kennedy, Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders,
Elon Musk, and Kamala Harris ahead of Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton.

Basically, it's a mixture of Inflation and Biden Too Old. Sigh.
We may well wind up with a Kennedy in the White House again.

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
Don't ask what happened to Schrodinger's dog.
Solitaire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2023, 04:54 AM   #232
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
All he would siphon are nutjob anti-vax votes and those, unfortunately, come from both sides.
Before the pandemic this was true. Nowadays it's nearly all Right wing
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2023, 05:27 AM   #233
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Before the pandemic this was true. Nowadays it's nearly all Right wing
I would say that the right wing capture of the anti-vax movement happened some time in the 2000's, personally.
Old 2nd October 2023, 09:05 PM   #234
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Well, actually he's ahead of Trump in the polls.

Harvard Harris Poll

On page fourteen, it lists Robert F. Kennedy, Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders,
Elon Musk, and Kamala Harris ahead of Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton.

Basically, it's a mixture of Inflation and Biden Too Old. Sigh.
We may well wind up with a Kennedy in the White House again.
Uh, yeah....no.
Old 2nd October 2023, 11:21 PM   #235
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And I can show you the same for left wing Democrats. Progressives are pretty much the party of science*. I can see why you might have missed that.

*Except Progressive's still haven't discovered the science of marketing.
They seem to be having problems with rudimentary biology as well.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2023, 04:35 AM   #236
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

Is that any question at all? His key positions are 100% right wing, and on vaccines he's notably to the right of Trump himself.

If he runs as an independent any spoiling effect will be overwhelmingly negative for Trump. Anyone voter who is this much of an anti-vaxxer nut to like someone like RFK Jr. has almost certainly already been radicalized to the far right during the whole covid vaccine freakout.

I wonder if RFK Jr. discussing being an independent is really a bid to get onto the Trump ticket as VP. Trump could probably use a bit of help shoring up his reputation among the anti-vax right who were pretty upset in Trump's role in greenlighting the development and deployment of the much hated covid vaccine.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 3rd October 2023 at 04:54 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2023, 04:52 AM   #237
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

i believe the current thought on the Q-right is that if Trump and RFK jr. are on the same ticket, at the precise moment they are inaugurated they will merge and become JFK jr.
Old 3rd October 2023, 06:14 AM   #238
stevea
Master Poster

I don't understand why so many people accept RFKjr as serious person. I watched one long-form YT interview and spotted half a dozen+ kook-theories.
Vaccines (COVID & polio), big-pharma, FDA(NSAIDs), CIA-killed-Kennedy, frogs-change gender due to pollution,
stevea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2023, 06:54 AM   #239
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by stevea View Post
I don't understand why so many people accept RFKjr as serious person. I watched one long-form YT interview and spotted half a dozen+ kook-theories.
Vaccines (COVID & polio), big-pharma, FDA(NSAIDs), CIA-killed-Kennedy, frogs-change gender due to pollution,
Because some people love the kook theories.
Old 3rd October 2023, 07:55 AM   #240
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Because some people love the kook theories.
Nah. I think he polls well in lists because of name recognition. I'll bet polling the same people on what they actually know about his views would find widespread ignorance.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics