IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th May 2023, 06:39 AM   #41
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
You should talk to people at the Liberal Gun Club. They have views that will interest you.

https://theliberalgunclub.com
I think you are being led astray by their name:
...Our members opinions on things range from pure authoritarian to pure libertarian, it’s a diverse group, and hard to present a consensus that reflects the entirety of the membership....
They are using liberal with one of its meanings, and that meaning doesn't mean "left".
Old 30th May 2023, 06:53 AM   #42
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think you are being led astray by their name:
...Our members opinions on things range from pure authoritarian to pure libertarian, it’s a diverse group, and hard to present a consensus that reflects the entirety of the membership....
They are using liberal with one of its meanings, and that meaning doesn't mean "left".

If you actually read just a few of their posts regarding political issues, you would see that they are indeed on the liberal spectrum of American politics, hate all things MAGA & Trump & Conservative. And for the most part are on the side of the liberal and progressive social agenda.

But don't take my word for it actually go to the website and check it out.
Old 30th May 2023, 07:07 AM   #43
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If you actually read just a few of their posts regarding political issues, you would see that they are indeed on the liberal spectrum of American politics, hate all things MAGA & Trump & Conservative. And for the most part are on the side of the liberal and progressive social agenda.

But don't take my word for it actually go to the website and check it out.
Where do you think that quote came from? And of course what you say doesn't contradict what I said.
Old 30th May 2023, 07:46 AM   #44
Hercules56
Philosopher

Where do you think that quote came from? And of course what you say doesn't contradict what I said.

Like I said read some of the discussion in the forum regarding political and social issues. You will see the vast majority of the people are clearly on the liberal and progressive side of things. Or you could ignore that.
Old 30th May 2023, 07:51 AM   #45
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Like I said read some of the discussion in the forum regarding political and social issues. You will see the vast majority of the people are clearly on the liberal and progressive side of things. Or you could ignore that.
Libertarianism is now the progressive side of things, well I never.
Old 30th May 2023, 07:54 AM   #46
Hercules56
Philosopher

They never claimed that. Nor did I.

Sigh. Do what you want, believe what you want.
Old 30th May 2023, 07:57 AM   #47
catsmate
No longer the 1

More than twenty mass shootings in USAia over the weekend. At least sixteen dead.
Business as usual.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2023, 07:58 AM   #48
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

They never claimed that. Nor did I.

Sigh. Do what you want, believe what you want.
Perhaps you could try reading the website and see what they say about their membership?
Old 30th May 2023, 08:00 AM   #49
jeremyp
Illuminator

The spectrum of authoritarian to libertarian is orthogonal to the spectrum of conservative to liberal.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2023, 08:03 AM   #50
Hercules56
Philosopher

Perhaps you could try reading the website and see what they say about their membership?

So you are going ignore the actual posts and opinions of the members of the forum? Gotcha.

Like I said if you want to get a true pulse on how the people feel read the various threads on political and social issues. Or not.
Old 30th May 2023, 08:04 AM   #51
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
More than twenty mass shootings in USAia over the weekend. At least sixteen dead.
Business as usual.
Most of the mass shootings in AMERICA this past weekend were in states with loose gun laws. Shame.
Old 30th May 2023, 08:51 AM   #52
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Business as usual.
And the "big" news story shooting of the weekend had no fatalities. Just 9 wounded. No big deal, not dead. Just potentially crippled, in massive medical debt, and potentially now reliant on the US's paltry little bit of public assistance for survival.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/29/us/ho...day/index.html
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2023, 10:00 AM   #53
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

So you are going ignore the actual posts and opinions of the members of the forum? Gotcha.

Like I said if you want to get a true pulse on how the people feel read the various threads on political and social issues. Or not.
Like I said if you want to read what they said about their membership you'll need to read their website.
Old 30th May 2023, 12:59 PM   #54
Hercules56
Philosopher

Like I said if you want to read what they said about their membership you'll need to read their website.

What you quoted does not accurately represent the majority of the views expressed in the forum. They were simply stating that there is no litmus test to join and the variety of views expressed span a large spectrum from authoritarianism to libertarianism. However the majority of views expressed on political and social issues are indeed liberal and progressive. There are very few if any conservatives in the forum that I have ever experienced.
Old 30th May 2023, 01:26 PM   #55
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If you don’t want to read what the website says that is up to you.
Old 30th May 2023, 01:29 PM   #56
Hercules56
Philosopher

If you don’t want to read what the website says that is up to you.
If you insist on not reading the actual views of the forum's members, that's up to you.
Old 6th June 2023, 05:18 PM   #57
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

7 shot outside a high school graduation ceremony in Richmond, Virginia, and 2 people are in custody, officials say.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/06/us/ri...oting-virginia
Old 6th June 2023, 07:23 PM   #58
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: 2 of the 7 people shot have died.
Old 7th June 2023, 07:54 PM   #59
Bogative
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
7 shot outside a high school graduation ceremony in Richmond, Virginia, and 2 people are in custody, officials say.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/06/us/ri...oting-virginia
Imma guess they are not the white supremacist type.
Old 9th June 2023, 06:25 AM   #60
Bogative
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Imma guess they are not the white supremacist type.

Not a white supremacist.
Amari Ty-Jon Pollard

Quote:
Edwards said officers inside the Altria heard gunshots outside around 5:15 p.m. and witnesses at the scene told 8News they heard dozens of shots fired. Four guns were eventually recovered at the scene by police.

Edwards said after a “highly-charged” event like Tuesday’s mass shooting, there is a likelihood for direct retaliation.
Old 9th June 2023, 04:32 PM   #61
Ron Obvious
Graduate Poster

Not a white supremacist.
Just because he's black doesn't mean he's not a white supremacist Nazi, remember?
Old 13th June 2023, 07:27 AM   #62
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

At least 9 injured in a mass shooting in downtown Denver, police say, soon after Nuggets’ NBA title win.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/13/us/de...-market-street
Old 14th June 2023, 05:38 AM   #63
Bogative
Master Poster

At least 9 injured in a mass shooting in downtown Denver, police say, soon after Nuggets’ NBA title win.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/13/us/de...-market-street

This doesn't count as a real mass shooting because it was a drug deal gone bad. Ricardo Vazquez and Raoul Jones have been arrested. At least 6 of the 9 victims were innocent bystanders, or "gang members" as some people on this board call them.

A similar shooting occurred during an NBA playoff game in Milwaukee last year. 21 people were wounded. Every single person arrested, 8 or 9 I believe, was involved in a socioeconomic situation so it didn't count either.

Last edited by Bogative; 14th June 2023 at 05:39 AM.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2023, 06:43 AM   #64
Bogative
Master Poster

There was another "not-a-real-mass shooting" mass shooting with 9 victims in San Francisco last week as well.

Javier Campos Jr., a known gang member, pulled off a "targeted" drive-by shooting during a block party in the Mission District. Javier Campos Jr is no stranger to mass shootings as this is at least his 2nd.
Quote:
Jan. 23 shooting at a Valero gas station in Oakland during a music video for a Stockton rapper, the sources said. The Oakland shooting occurred after a group of Sureños crashed the set of the video, prompting a shootout between them and a number of alleged Norteño gang affiliates, police say.
Javier Campos Jr was roaming the streets before both mass shootings despite having multiple prior gun charges:
Quote:
Campos was out on bail in a multi-count felony case in Alameda County, filed last September. In that case, prosecutors charged him with multiple counts of drug and gun possession, stemming from his arrest at a Burger King in Oakland.

Campos also has two warrants for his arrest out of San Mateo County after he failed to show up for two separate trials in May. There, he is charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and in another case conspiring with his girlfriend to sneak opiates into the county jail.
Both of these mass shootings may have been prevented if we could bother locking up gun criminals, but that would be systemic racism and ****.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/06/...hat-injured-9/
Old 14th June 2023, 07:14 AM   #65
sackett
Philosopher

"Gun criminals." Now that's a REAL trigger word!

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2023, 10:13 PM   #66
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I admit to being a little bothered to claim that certain kinds of shootings "don't count".

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2023, 11:21 PM   #67
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I admit to being a little bothered to claim that certain kinds of shootings "don't count".
I don't think that's Brainster's stance at all. They think that left ignores mass shootings when they are carried out by people of colour.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2023, 06:07 AM   #68
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I don't think that's Brainster's stance at all. They think that left ignores mass shootings when they are carried out by people of colour.
There's definitely a large segment of society that is ok with endemic misery and crime so long as its contained to certain designated communities, namely poor, often black or brown slums of major cities.

I wouldn't say that the "left" is disinterested in these considering much of the left's base comes from poor, minority neighborhoods. Left policies are constantly grappling with how to deal with policing, poverty, and general blight in these communities.

It's much more centrist liberals and conservatives who are content to ignore the troubles happening outside their neighborhoods and only get agitated when violence penetrates their world.

Conservatives only think about these communities as useful foils in their racist view of the world (but Chicago!), and liberals hardly think of them at all.
Old 15th June 2023, 07:39 AM   #69
Hercules56
Philosopher

Meh, our obsession with mass-shootings just shows what a sick society we have become.

We need to address socioeconomic inequality and mental health.
Old 15th June 2023, 08:06 AM   #70
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Mass shooting should count as mass shooting based on number alone. That's what the terms means.
But it is indeed silly classification. There is difference between gang members shooting other gang members (and random bystanders), random people fighting over who will first buy an ice cream on a beach, and skewed guy shooting out a school, or even random crowd.
All can turn into mass shooting, but the situation and causes are different. Which means it might also need a different solutions. I certainly feel that mixing them all together serves no purpose.

And while white supremacists shooting random crowd make bigger news, they will never lead the charts. They also usually plan well ahead, are dedicated, and unscrupulous .. they will always find a way, as mass killing acts in Germany or Japan showed. And gangs will be hardest to get the guns from. It's not like they care about gun laws even today.

I wouldn't agree with "it's not white supremacists, it's the gangs" .. but I'd agree with "it's not JUST the white supremacists, it's the ALSO the gangs". Not exactly sure what exactly Bogative means. But I'm trying to go with the most honorable interpretation of ambiguous posts, not the most despicable.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2023, 08:08 AM   #71
Hercules56
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Mass shooting should count as mass shooting based on number alone. That's what the terms means.
But it is indeed silly classification. There is difference between gang members shooting other gang members (and random bystanders), random people fighting over who will first buy an ice cream on a beach, and skewed guy shooting out a school, or even random crowd.
All can turn into mass shooting, but the situation and causes are different. Which means it might also need a different solutions. I certainly feel that mixing them all together serves no purpose.

And while white supremacists shooting random crowd make bigger news, they will never lead the charts. They also usually plan well ahead, are dedicated, and unscrupulous .. they will always find a way, as mass killing acts in Germany or Japan showed. And gangs will be hardest to get the guns from. It's not like they care about gun laws even today.

I wouldn't agree with "it's not white supremacists, it's the gangs" .. but I'd agree with "it's not JUST the white supremacists, it's the ALSO the gangs". Not exactly sure what exactly Bogative means. But I'm trying to go with the most honorable interpretation of ambiguous posts, not the most despicable.
I agree 100%.

Categorizing a random mass-shooting of strangers at a movie theater by a deranged gunman as the same as a gang shooting against targeted gang members between the Crips & Bloods, or a Muslim terrorist targeting a local fair, or a white supremacist targeting a black church, is NOT the same thing and requires very different solutions. Very foolish for us to label them the same type of phenomenon.

Last edited by Hercules56; 15th June 2023 at 08:09 AM.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2023, 07:27 PM   #72
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Meh, our obsession with mass-shootings just shows what a sick society we have become.

I agree that that would go quite a distance towards addressing the issue of mass shootings, as well as a host of other societal ills. But - and here's the unpopular part - you won't get far unless you also address the issue of guns.

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2023, 09:15 PM   #73
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

I completely agree with you last sentence, but we also need to do something about the lack of sensible gun laws.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2023, 04:07 PM   #74
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

8 injured, including teens, in shooting in Los Angeles County neighborhood, authorities say.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/17/us/ei...ing-california
Old 17th June 2023, 05:23 PM   #75
Hercules56
Philosopher

8 injured, including teens, in shooting in Los Angeles County neighborhood, authorities say.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/17/us/ei...ing-california
Probably gang related.
Old 18th June 2023, 05:48 AM   #76
Bogative
Master Poster

Only 8, those are rookie numbers, they need to pump those numbers up.

At least 20 shot, 1 fatally, in Willowbrook after Juneteenth celebration turns violent: witnesses
Old 18th June 2023, 05:55 AM   #77
Hercules56
Philosopher

Only 8, those are rookie numbers, they need to pump those numbers up.

At least 20 shot, 1 fatally, in Willowbrook after Juneteenth celebration turns violent: witnesses
Again, gang related.

Not the same as random mass-shootings by crazy people.
Old 18th June 2023, 05:55 AM   #78
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Well, nothing has changing this thread
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2023, 06:01 AM   #79
Bogative
Master Poster

Again, gang related.
Or Illinois neo-Nazis and white supremacists. Those are the greatest threat to the nation, like the greatest ever, ever.
Old 18th June 2023, 06:09 AM   #80
Bogative
Master Poster

Damn St. Louis neo-Nazis and white supremacists must be at it again!

10 juveniles injured in downtown shooting, 1 killed.

Quote:
Previous incidents in the past where large crowds have resulted in fights, shootings, and overall crime have fueled outrage over dangerous situations for residents with some directed at late night businesses. They have vehemently denied they’re to blame, instead asking for more police patrol.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events