IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags elon musk , twitter

Reply
Old 25th July 2023, 12:08 PM   #281
gnome
Penultimate Amazing
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 14,570
A prediction: sooner or later Musk will sell off or otherwise lose control of Twitter, and the original branding will return shortly afterwards.
__________________

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2023, 12:34 PM   #282
jeremyp
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 3,925
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I prefer 'er', which is what's on the side of their HQ now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66300107

for those who aren't quite up to speed.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2023, 01:59 PM   #283
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing
 
Andy_Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,892
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
A prediction: sooner or later Musk will sell off or otherwise lose control of Twitter, and the original branding will return shortly afterwards.
Twitter was rarely and barely profitable as a public company.

Now it has billions in debt & it's lost billions in ad revenue.

Elon will get tired of writing checks and Twitter will file bankruptcy. The bankruptcy Trustee will fire Musk &an rehire Dorsey, most likely.
__________________
Formerly known as Captain Swoop
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2023, 03:18 PM   #284
I Am The Scum
Philosopher
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,105
Elon decided to update the X logo just a little... then quickly he decided he didn't like it and is now going back to the original X
__________________
Please temper your expectations if you are going to argue with a nazi sympathizer
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2023, 04:53 PM   #285
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 25,846
I am a trademark attorney. This is a bad trademark. Meta isn’t likely to sue, but X will likely have to sue Meta to terminate their trademark if X wants to have a trademark for similar goods and services.

There are lots of facts that could change that analysis and I haven’t done any research or looked at any legal articles about this from people willing to do that research for free. If I see something from someone I would trust I’ll link to it later.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2023, 04:57 PM   #286
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 25,846
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Probably not relevant, IMO. An infinity shape is different enough that nobody would confuse one for the other.


Neither am I, and we can probably assume the same for all of us, unless someone tells us otherwise. However, I do work in a field related to intellectual property, specifically patent translation (but very occasionally other IP-related documents).
I stopped writing patents some time ago and the thought of doing translations for a living makes me consider the benefits of an unhoused lifestyle.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2023, 05:55 PM   #287
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 13,594
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I liked one of the replies. The Musk way:
Quote:
Ready! Fire! Aim!

newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2023, 09:51 PM   #288
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 28,902
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I am a trademark attorney. This is a bad trademark. Meta isn’t likely to sue, but X will likely have to sue Meta to terminate their trademark if X wants to have a trademark for similar goods and services.

There are lots of facts that could change that analysis and I haven’t done any research or looked at any legal articles about this from people willing to do that research for free. If I see something from someone I would trust I’ll link to it later.
Cool. Someone who actually knows something. I mentioned in post #278 that the goods or services that had been associated with that particular logo are no longer being offered. My understanding of trademark law is that if a business is not actually offering any good or service in association with a registered trademark, that others may claim it. Also, the actual name of the service was "Mixer" and only one of the logo marks looked like an "X" but substantially different from the "X" logo that Musk is using.

Finally, if Twitter stops using the Twitter trademarks by switching to a new brand, could others start to use them?

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I stopped writing patents some time ago and the thought of doing translations for a living makes me consider the benefits of an unhoused lifestyle.
Meh, it suits my personality and skill set. I won't lie and say it's exciting work, or even that it feels important for humanity, but it allows me to house and feed my family, which is enough.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2023, 10:06 PM   #289
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 25,846
Use of a mark is important to maintaining a registration, but lapses in usage are not fatal to a mark’s registration. The line between a lapse in use and abandonment is very fact based. I’m sure some legal blogger/writer out there has pulled the relevant case law and known facts by this point.

Timing of the most recent section 8 and 15 filings will play a role, too.

Eta: Kudos on finding a niche that fits your skills and needs. Tough job and it is evident when it is not done well. The good ones are much less remarkable.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 25th July 2023 at 10:09 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2023, 04:26 AM   #290
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Any trademark dispute is going to be especially tedious because I'd bet money that most people will still refer to it as Twitter, official branding be damned.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2023, 04:31 AM   #291
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Twitter is now weaponizing its own dysfunction against advertisers. Spend above a certain threshold on advertising or Twitter will remove the gold verification mark and they will become victim to endless impersonation scams and pranks. Anyone with $8 will be able to purchase a blue check, change their display name, and go to town on their brand.

Quote:
X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter, has warned companies on the site that failure to buy more than $1,000 in ads could result in losing their “verification” badges, according to a new report from the Wall Street Journal. The check mark badge system has become a point of controversy since Elon Musk purchased the website back in October 2022 and allowed anyone to buy a check mark for just $8 per month.

The removal of a yellow check mark, which were handed out free under Musk to some of the biggest brands on the platform after significant issues arose, will apparently happen to any company that hasn’t spent at least $1,000 on ads over the past month or at least $6,000 in the preceding 180 days, according to the Journal. The check marks will reportedly disappear starting August 7.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattnov...h=7146fe126ed6
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 26th July 2023 at 04:32 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2023, 05:38 AM   #292
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 113,762
Originally Posted by TurkeysGhost View Post
Twitter is now weaponizing its own dysfunction against advertisers. Spend above a certain threshold on advertising or Twitter will remove the gold verification mark and they will become victim to endless impersonation scams and pranks. Anyone with $8 will be able to purchase a blue check, change their display name, and go to town on their brand.



https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattnov...h=7146fe126ed6
That would be quite foolish. The big brand companies are legally obligated to go after misuse of their trademarks, never mind other possible legal issues it will expose X Corp to.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2023, 08:23 AM   #293
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Quote:
Twitter Deletes Fact-Check Of Musk Connecting Bronny James’ Cardiac Arrest To Covid Vaccine

X—the recently rebranded version of Twitter—removed a fact-check from a Tuesday post by company owner Elon Musk that linked the cardiac arrest suffered by college basketball player Bronny James to the Covid-19 vaccine—the latest assertion from the billionaire who’s increasingly promoting conspiracy theories and fringe ideas.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonio...h=d7b68e83aa86
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2023, 08:35 AM   #294
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher
 
TheGoldcountry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,121
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
That's perfect.
__________________
I have no idea what you're trying to say, but I'm still pretty sure that you're wrong. -Akhenaten
I sometimes think the Bible was inspired by Satan to make God look bad. And then it backfired on Him when He underestimated the stupidity of religious ideologues. -MontagK505
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2023, 09:26 AM   #295
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions
 
Beerina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,760
Originally Posted by Andy_Ross View Post
Twitter was rarely and barely profitable as a public company.

Now it has billions in debt & it's lost billions in ad revenue.

Elon will get tired of writing checks and Twitter will file bankruptcy. The bankruptcy Trustee will fire Musk &an rehire Dorsey, most likely.

It's privately owned. Can't he just sink the damned thing if he wants? These companies have notoriously little "stuff" they can sell off to repay creditors. Some aging computers? A few buildings?
__________________
"Great innovations should not be forced [by way of] slender majorities." - Thomas Jefferson

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2023, 09:37 AM   #296
lobosrul5
Philosopher
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7,261
Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
It's privately owned. Can't he just sink the damned thing if he wants? These companies have notoriously little "stuff" they can sell off to repay creditors. Some aging computers? A few buildings?
The creditors will get Twitter. Not just their stuff, they will get the company. Likely it will go Chapter 11. Its Twitters IP, customer base, reputation etc that are valuable. Everyone that is owed money will get a fractional bit of ownership in Twitter. They will then, almost certainly, take it public again eventually, to try and recoup their losses.

I work for a business that went bankrupt, or I should say I worked for a business that went bankrupt and now work for the company that took them over. The largest creditor took them over, and paid off some of the smaller creditors per a settlement agreement. Of course this was penny's on the dollar compared to what Twitter owes several large banks.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2023, 09:39 AM   #297
dirtywick
Philosopher
 
dirtywick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,412
well, yeah. he is sinking it right now
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 05:23 AM   #298
I Am The Scum
Philosopher
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,105
A right-wing conspiracy theorist was banned for posting child exploitation pictures. In a pair of tweets, Elon Musk acknowledges the reason why, and also that he is reversing the ban.
__________________
Please temper your expectations if you are going to argue with a nazi sympathizer
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 05:31 AM   #299
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 113,762
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
A right-wing conspiracy theorist was banned for posting child exploitation pictures. In a pair of tweets, Elon Musk acknowledges the reason why, and also that he is reversing the ban.
That is unfortunately not unbelievable.

Also I don't know about the USA but that would be criminal in the UK and as far as I know across all the EU countries. Criminal for both the person who posted them and for X to hold onto those images.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 05:32 AM   #300
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 113,762
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
The creditors will get Twitter. Not just their stuff, they will get the company. Likely it will go Chapter 11. Its Twitters IP, customer base, reputation etc that are valuable. Everyone that is owed money will get a fractional bit of ownership in Twitter. They will then, almost certainly, take it public again eventually, to try and recoup their losses.

I work for a business that went bankrupt, or I should say I worked for a business that went bankrupt and now work for the company that took them over. The largest creditor took them over, and paid off some of the smaller creditors per a settlement agreement. Of course this was penny's on the dollar compared to what Twitter owes several large banks.
Which Musk has seemingly been doing his best to devalue as fast as possible.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 05:36 AM   #301
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing
 
TurkeysGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35,043
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
for X to hold onto those images.
Really doubt there's much liability for Twitter assuming they deleted the posts. Pretty much every website that allows for user content has to deal with illegal material being regularly posted.

Musk intervened to unban his kiddie porn posting pal, but the offending posts themselves were not restored.
__________________
Previously known as SuburbanTurkey
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 05:53 AM   #302
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sorth Dakonsin
Posts: 29,235
Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
well, yeah. he is sinking it right now
Twitanic.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 06:23 AM   #303
jeremyp
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 3,925
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Twitanic.
Wrong: TitaniX
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 09:20 AM   #304
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator
 
Gulliver Foyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cork baaaiii
Posts: 3,247
Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
It's privately owned. Can't he just sink the damned thing if he wants? These companies have notoriously little "stuff" they can sell off to repay creditors. Some aging computers? A few buildings?
Problem for Musk is a) he had to secure most of his finances off his personal assets, not Twitter and b) his co-investors will dismember you for looking at them sideways, never mind losing them $13bn.
__________________
Ceterum autem censeo Factio Republicanus esse delendam
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 10:27 AM   #305
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 38,979
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Since many people are going to be saying "Twi...X" for a while, he should have just called it "Twix". No trademark infringement there!
But only Right Twix, no Left Twix for Musk!
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 10:28 AM   #306
jeremyp
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 3,925
Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
Problem for Musk is a) he had to secure most of his finances off his personal assets, not Twitter and b) his co-investors will dismember you for looking at them sideways, never mind losing them $13bn.
The $13 billion is owed to several banks, not to Saudi Arabia. I think the dismemberers are only in it to the tune of a couple of billion.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 11:26 AM   #307
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 30,073
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
The $13 billion is owed to several banks, not to Saudi Arabia. I think the dismemberers are only in it to the tune of a couple of billion.
So, maybe just a few fingers and a testicle?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 01:43 PM   #308
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 60,315
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I am a trademark attorney. This is a bad trademark. Meta isn’t likely to sue, but X will likely have to sue Meta to terminate their trademark if X wants to have a trademark for similar goods and services.

There are lots of facts that could change that analysis and I haven’t done any research or looked at any legal articles about this from people willing to do that research for free. If I see something from someone I would trust I’ll link to it later.
I wonder if one reason he backed down from his rebranding of Paypal as ""X Com" is his attorneys told him he would have fight with Microprose because they had a very sucessful series of computer games with that name.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 02:07 PM   #309
lobosrul5
Philosopher
 
lobosrul5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7,261
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I wonder if one reason he backed down from his rebranding of Paypal as ""X Com" is his attorneys told him he would have fight with Microprose because they had a very sucessful series of computer games with that name.
Have, not had. They are still selling them, and making new ones. Thats very much an active trademark, unlike "X".
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 04:25 PM   #310
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 60,315
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Have, not had. They are still selling them, and making new ones. Thats very much an active trademark, unlike "X".
Oh, I know,I know.
IHave not played the latest, but bought it on GOG.
The first remains my favorite, though.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 05:46 PM   #311
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 86,977
__________________
We are living in weird times
dominated by weird people
who talk about weird ****

- Seth Meyers
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 06:05 PM   #312
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 45,003
^Wow.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 10:26 PM   #313
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 46,277
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
That was one of the main reasons he was overruled when they were setting up the payment company that came to be called PayPal.

He's very Trumpian, he never forgets a slight.

The fundamental idea of what he wants to do is sound. WeChat in China is making a fortune. His execution is lacking.
__________________
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they were going to be easy.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos

Last edited by a_unique_person; 27th July 2023 at 10:28 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 10:34 PM   #314
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator
 
Gulliver Foyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cork baaaiii
Posts: 3,247
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I wonder if one reason he backed down from his rebranding of Paypal as ""X Com" is his attorneys told him he would have fight with Microprose because they had a very sucessful series of computer games with that name.
No he backed down because Peter Thiel had fired him for incompetence and his only remaining involvement in Paypal was to collect his dividends cheques.
__________________
Ceterum autem censeo Factio Republicanus esse delendam
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 10:38 PM   #315
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator
 
Gulliver Foyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cork baaaiii
Posts: 3,247
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
That was one of the main reasons he was overruled when they were setting up the payment company that came to be called PayPal.

He's very Trumpian, he never forgets a slight.

The fundamental idea of what he wants to do is sound. WeChat in China is making a fortune. His execution is lacking.
Wechat is only making a fortune because it has a captive audience. If you're not using the app you're carted off to a reeducation camp and never seen again.
__________________
Ceterum autem censeo Factio Republicanus esse delendam
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 10:41 PM   #316
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 46,277
Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle View Post
Wechat is only making a fortune because it has a captive audience. If you're not using the app you're carted off to a reeducation camp and never seen again.
You exaggerate. It offers much more than chat now including finance and shopping. That's what Musk wants X to be.
__________________
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they were going to be easy.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2023, 10:49 PM   #317
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator
 
Gulliver Foyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cork baaaiii
Posts: 3,247
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You exaggerate. It offers much more than chat now including finance and shopping. That's what Musk wants X to be.
Not really, it's what the Chinese government have decided is China's most popular phone app because it's riddled with spyware.
__________________
Ceterum autem censeo Factio Republicanus esse delendam
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2023, 03:58 AM   #318
jeremyp
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 3,925
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
So, maybe just a few fingers and a testicle?
That's one way of looking at it. Another is that Jamal Khashoggi didn't owe them any money at all...
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2023, 04:11 AM   #319
jeremyp
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 3,925
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You exaggerate. It offers much more than chat now including finance and shopping. That's what Musk wants X to be.
Aside from the fact that the Chinese government is very much encouraging everybody to use WeChat, do you really want one person to own the app that runs your whole life?

It's a stupid and dangerous idea. Imagine if X was the only retail site and the only finance provider and you did something to annoy Elon Musk. Imagine if he leaked all the details of your financial transactions on amazon. Imagine if he kicked you off so you couldn't buy anything anymore and your employer no longer had anywhere to send your paycheques.

It's a dystopia.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2023, 04:55 AM   #320
Steve
Penultimate Amazing
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,740
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Aside from the fact that the Chinese government is very much encouraging everybody to use WeChat, do you really want one person to own the app that runs your whole life?

It's a stupid and dangerous idea. Imagine if X was the only retail site and the only finance provider and you did something to annoy Elon Musk. Imagine if he leaked all the details of your financial transactions on amazon. Imagine if he kicked you off so you couldn't buy anything anymore and your employer no longer had anywhere to send your paycheques.

It's a dystopia.
Really? You need to get out more.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.